Start by marking “Baldwin's Harlem: A Biography of James Baldwin” as Want to Read:
Baldwin's Harlem: A Biography of James Baldwin

Baldwin's Harlem: A Biography of James Baldwin

Baldwin's Harlem is an intimate
portrait of the life and genius of one
of our most brilliant literary minds:
James Baldwin.

Perhaps no other writer is as synonymous with Harlem as James Baldwin (1924-1987). The events there that shaped his youth greatly influenced Baldwin's work, much of which focused on his experiences as a black man in white America. Go Tell It on the

Published January 8th 2008 by Atria (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Baldwin's Harlem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baldwin's Harlem

Start your review of Baldwin's Harlem: A Biography of James Baldwin
Banole
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Herb Boyd gives us a gossipy biography of Baldwin that somehow works.
Boyd is sure to deeply confuse, offend and anger those who take into
consideration "the white gaze" -as Nobel Laureate Toni Morrison so delicately puts it.
Boyd seems to unconsciously ignore the"white gaze".

Boyd admits that he really didn't know Baldwin personally. Yet Boyd skillfully uses Baldwins writings and interviews with Baldwins friends and acquaintances to weave his narrative. A large amount of personal opinion and obs
Brandon Floyd
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Herb Boyd approaches "Baldwin's Harlem" with far too much interest in himself and not enough commitment to his craft. In fact, there's hardly any sense of Baldwin here at all. Even as Boyd explicitly traces the author's trajectory through Harlem, from youth to prominence, the biographical narrative reads more like a congested chronology than an exploration of environment and being.Instead we hear Boyd's voice delivering Baldwin's legacy in a manner so riddled with conjecture and assumption that ...more
Rodrigue Ronald
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
As a Baldwin enthusiast, it is humbling to have my bubble burst about the man and realize who he was, especially when coming from a narrative which is not his own. I like reading this biography and the insights, it gives on Baldwin's reluctance on joining the civil rights movements in its early days,on his family life and of course of the many rivalries he had with other famous writers of his time. Al through a great book to enjoy, but if you are a Baldwin's fan you might come off a bit unease a ...more
GLF
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Realistically 3.5 stars is more accurate.

This book really isn't a 'biography' as such, but more an investigation in into the effect growing up in "Harlem" had on James Baldwin as a writer and on the fiction and non-fiction he wrote over the years .

There is a chronology of major events in Baldwin's life at the end of the book, which contrasts with the main text which seems to leap frog around various parts of Baldwin's life. The two "interviews" also provide an insight into Baldwin the man that i
Oksana
Jul 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Firstly, if you are looking for a biography this is not it. It's drivel, not so veiled homophobia, and more than half is just quotations. And worse, most of it is conjecture and opinion, not even well thought out or well written opinion. This author loves to hear himself speak and considering he inserted pages and pages his own interviews in there, you can tell just how much he loves himself.
Alan
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This wasn't really the book I wanted to read. more of a portrait of Baldwin and his critics than a linear biography of Baldwin and his early life in Harlem.
Bill
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A scattered book of anecdotes and historical references. Helpful if you already know a lot about Baldwin, but not particularly enlightening.
J'Aime 'James'
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I have to agree with Brandon's review of the book. As a Harlemite, I was hoping to have more insight into a legendary Harlem writer and the neighborhood in which he was raised. Instead I found this book to be more centered on Boyd than Baldwin and in a language that read like a senior thesis. I also feel it might have been better if the writer had written the book as a chronological biography as opposed to a topical biography.

Demetria
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
This was the first (and so far only) James Baldwin bio I've ever read. I do know that a handful of very good Baldwin bios exist, so I thought this was a pretty worthwhile and unique perspective to choose. Perhaps because other bios exist, this one is fairly dense, but pretty light on pages. I learned a lot of interesting things about Baldwin and reading it has made me more interested in reading some of the meatier bios.
Liz Murray
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first James Baldwin bio I've read and I did learn a bit more about him that I haven't read in his non-fiction. I found myself skimming a bit near the end though. Baldwin is such a masterful writer that it must be difficult for another writer to do him justice. I'm not sure if I'll rush to another Baldwin bio anytime soon, my preference is to reach for a Baldwin original and thankfully there's quite a bit of his work I'm still to read.
Ron
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book that revolves around Baldwin's personal and artistic connection to Harlem.

The author is clearly partisan and defends Baldwin tooth and nail from the literary and political attacks that he was on the receiving end of throughout his life.

However, the book is a worth while read because of Baldwin, a great writer, a fascinating figure, and an immense literary life.
KL Dilley
I reeeeealllly couldn't get through this book. I should have been able to because it's about James Baldwin in Harlem. How could that not be captivating? Well it wasn't. Right in the intro Boyd comes across a bit Rick Warrenish and from there it went down an unfortunate road. Too bad.
Jewell
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Informative book about Baldwin's relationship with Harlem and the influence it had on his writings. The book also introduced me to other African American intellectuals who were contemporaries of Baldwin. Their opinions of him and his works were substantial..
Mario King
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought the book was intriguing. Mr. Boyd did a good job of painting a portrait of Baldwin's Harlem. It was a good backdrop into the life and thoughts of Mr. James Baldwin. Good read!!!
A_nyrican
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the most intimate autobiography on James Baldwin and the fascinating ever-changing period of Harlem Renaissance I have read so far. I will add more to this review at a later time.
Ana
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The book is a very good read, I did want to get more of a sense of intimacy from the author about Baldwin, but still enjoyed it.
Steven Spector
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Read in conjunction with better subject bios. This is more issue-based than one might like and comes in at about 200pp in big print and small sized-pages.
Brett
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: baldwin-ophiles
well-researched but a little flat. it's hard to read a book about the best American writer by a writer who is just ok... read it if you're a hardcore james baldwin fan.
Isabella
Mar 20, 2009 rated it liked it
At this moment in my life Balwdin is my inspiration.

Interesting read. I learned a lot about the complicated, beautiful and torn being that was Baldwin.
Jbondandrews
Craig Werner
rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lebanese Cuisine: More Than 250 Authentic Recipes From The Most Elegant Middle Eastern Cuisine
  • Me
  • James Baldwin: America and Beyond
  • Buddhism For Dummies, 2nd Edition
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • How Right You Are, Jeeves (Jeeves, #12)
  • Four Great Americans
  • Don't Play in the Sun: One Woman's Journey Through the Color Complex
  • The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • The Fire Next Time
  • Mediterranean Street Food: Stories, Soups, Snacks, Sandwiches, Barbecues, Sweets, and More, from Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East
  • Shaya: An Odyssey of Food, My Journey Back to Israel
  • Feast: Food of the Islamic World
  • The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001 - 2019
  • Foursome: Alfred Stieglitz, Georgia O'Keeffe, Paul Strand, Rebecca Salsbury
  • Home
  • Troublemaker for Justice: The Story of Bayard Rustin, the Man Behind the March on Washington
Herb Boyd is an awarding-winning American author and journalist who has published 17 books and countless articles for national magazines and newspapers. Brotherman:The Odyssey of Black Men in America: An Anthology (One World/Ballantine, 1995), co-edited with Robert Allen of the Black Scholar journal, won the American Book Award for nonfiction. In 1999, Boyd won three first place awards from the Ne ...more

News & Interviews