Start by marking “The Memory Thief (City of Wishes #1)” as Want to Read:
The Memory Thief (City of Wishes #1)

The Memory Thief

(City of Wishes #1)

Every wish has a price …

In a world of fae, vampires and shifters, where wishes can be bought and bargained for, Elle is human, bound to her stepmother by a slave charm. Her only hope at freedom is to wish for it. But the Godmother rules the illegal wish trade, and the price she demands is steep. Is Elle willing to pay it?

~ ~ ~

It’s just another night of breaking her ste
Published April 26th 2019 by Rachel Morgan (first published April 20th 2019)

Start your review of The Memory Thief (City of Wishes #1)
Belinda
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,25 stars - English Ebook 🦋🦋🦋
Quote from the book : Elle shut her eyes, and within moments, memories that weren’t her own began slidings across her vision. She sifted through Monty’s surface memory’s, flicking back through the events of this afternoon and evening, and quickly loacating the one he wanted to forget. 🌷🌷🌷
Loved the character of Elle and her good sister. Did not like the stepmother and other stepsister. A vampire who wanted Elle and the help she gets from three fae who do not want tha
Norah Una Sumner

If you know me, you know that I am the biggest Rachel Morgan trash (in the nicest possible way) so when I not only saw that she's releasing a new series but also that the first installment is FREE on Amazon, I just knew I was going to drop everything I was doing and go read it.

I am not the biggest fan of fairytale retellings but I absolutely loved this one. It's very fast paced, interesting, the characters are all intriguing and the writing flows nicely and is perfectly adjusted to the
Vanessa (bookfairy95)
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, retellings, fantasy
4.5*

I read this today in one sitting... I wanted to wait until the hardcover versions are released, but then the eBook of this one smiled at me yesterday night while scrolling though my eBooks. And so I started... and finished it today.

I already love Rachel Morgan's other Fae Series (okay well shame on me I've only read Violet's trilogy so far, but I WILL get to the others eventually) and I didn't know this one was featuring faes as well. So I was even more pumped when I realised this. It's a
Annette
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an absolute and total sucker for Cinderella retellings. Add some supernatural elements, a world of Fae, Vampires and magic, and there's not much that can possible go wrong. So, when it was too wet or dark to read physical books last week, I dove into this story on my Ipad and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much and to end up checking how to get the sequels as soon as possible.

Although the elements of the Cinderella story are clearly there, they are certainly not making this story. Yes,
Franci
#69 of 2020

Such a nice story!

But the cliffhanger.... No......
Shelby
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars
I really loved this book and everything about it from the beginning to the end. I am definitely gonna check out the rest of the series because I feel like I will be in just in love with the series being I loved this one alot. Rachel Morgan knows how to grab your attention and she knows how to keep your attention through out the whole book. I really love her writing. I would definitely read at least this book again and maybe the rest of the series. I would definitely recommend this book to
Rottgrl88
May 18, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-ebooks, fantasy
This is currently free on Amazon Kindle --- 07/25/2020

Emily (Falling for YA)
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I liked this first installment of the City of Wishes series - I would read the rest. Elle is an interesting protagonist and I really disliked her stepmother. She is a great villain to hate! The world building is really different than any other Cinderella retelling I've come across and it made the story feel fresh.
Nathalie*
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good Cinderella type book.. good thing she has 1 good sister... the step mom is truly awful and so is the other step sister

Good into to the story loving Elle and dex ses awesome ;) can’t wait to get to know the other characters
Coco.V
Jul 14, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 Books 1-3 in the Series are FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (7/14/2020)! 🎁 ...more
Suzy Seerden
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good, now I really want to read the second book. Fast read only 15 chapters.
Maria Elena | _mkarys
I really enjoyed reading this fun new story Rachel cooked up. This is a fun and original take on Cinderella.

What I really loved about it is that the story was immediately recognizable as a retelling, unlike some other books that have been publicized as such when they indeed had almost no resemblance to the story it was supposedly retelling. City of Wishes was true to the Cinderella tale in some key elements—the step mother, the evil stepsister, the kinder one, and the protagonist’s name, Elle,
Manogna
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story is a retelling of the classic Cinderella. The main character Elle's story follows that of the original in a very similar fashion, but set in a world including magical beings like vampires and fae. The story was very nostalgic, in the sense of preserving the fairytale's essence. My only complaint with the book would be that, the story line didn't feel complete. I do acknowledge the fact that it is a part of a series, but I personally would have enjoyed a closure to a subplot in the ent ...more
Annerie RooibosReads
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This audio book was absolutely amazing!

The storyline was brilliant.

Full review to come.
Nisareen
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
“She tried to keep you from us. She thought we’d never find you. She failed.”
“Who?”
“Your mother.”

Following the death of her father, Elle Winters has been bound to her evil stepmother, Salvia by a slave charm. Elle has the ability to erase the memories of others and has been using this gift in exchange for Fae Essence so that she can legitimately purchase a third tier wish and gain her freedom. She is aided by her younger stepsister, Sienna who is equally desperate to escape her mother’s cruelty.
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
*I received a copy from the author. This does not affect my review.*

I was excited about the blurb, but I'm not as much of a paranormal reader as a fantasy. Any doubts were quickly erased though as I was captivated by the story, and quickly found myself wanting to know more about the characters and their lives!

I really loved Dex and his friends, and enjoy Elle's fascination and reluctance around them. I also enjoyed Elle's relationship with Sienna her step-sister. I really enjoyed the writing and
Ellen
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Loved this and can't wait for the next part of the story.
I'm usually not a great fan of retellings, but I loved the take on this story. The retelling wasn't too close to the original and I liked that. A very fresh look on Cinderelle.
Sabrina
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A different take on the Cinderella story, where Elle is not just an unwanted stepdaughter, but a human slave to her fae step-family. However, unlike most humans Elle does have one gift. She is determined to use it to buy her own freedom and that of her younger step-sister. Mysteries are revealed, such as what actually happened to Elle's mother.
This is a very exciting start to a new series though I felt like it ended just when it was getting REALLY interesting. I can't wait for more.
Lucy Joyeux
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes! I loved this book “show”?

It’s like if a Cinderella met supernatural! At first I thought it will be cheesy and bad, but now — I’m addicted!

The main character Elle is amazing! She’s brave, strong, loyal and fearless! I would love to be like her ❤️

It’s an amazing story to read! You should read it or have it in your TBR at least!
Cindi
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love the easy flow of the writing. I just flew through the story, can’t wait to see what comes next.
Jamie Lee Zonneveld
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Memory Thief is the first episode in Rachel Morgan's City of Wishes series. City Of Wishes is a Cinderella retelling. When I read the blurb and saw the Cinderella retelling part I had to read it. I love fairytale retellings and this one isn't a disappointment. I loved it and it's very well written. Can't wait to continue this series!
Candace Barnard
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Reminiscent of the Night World books. Can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series.
Abbey's Reading Corner
I really enjoyed this retelling of Cinderella. I’m looking forward to reading more. I just feel like there was just something missing to make me rate it higher.

FULL RTC
Amy
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good story that gripped me from the beginning xx
Joan
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting start to a series.
Caitlin
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun! I absolutely flew through this first installment (can I have the next one, please?). It has all the set up for a great story--one I will definitely love.
A strong heroine. A large cast of intriguing characters. An enticing plot. Awesome world building and a unique take on fae magic. What more can you want?
Once again, Rachel Morgan has crafted an entertaining and addicting story. I can't wait to see what comes next!
Reader's  Show
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth it!!

Its been a lot time since i read one of my favorite series Lunar chronicles.... This book just made me love story book retellings all over again
This book has everything...a wonderful fantasy world... Interesting characters... A good storyline... And a strong pratogonist
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT BOOK
Fayre
One of the fastest reads you can get through, and why not go on an adventure while you're at it? First off, I saw this little book of fun on kindle for free. How can I say no to free? How can I also say no to finishing it in one sitting when it's only 125 pages?

We all know the story of Cinderella, don't we? Now let's try adding some fae folk - that's right, add fairies, like hot dude fairies and "take over the world" fairies, and a Fairy Godmother who bargains instead of simply making your drea
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Tonja Drecker
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover definitely caught my attention on this one, and the blurb rounded it of to a 'must-read'. And I was not disappointed.

The world is divided into several classes/groups—humans, shifters, vampires and the last which rule all of it, fae. Elle is a human and bound to her step-mother with a slavery charm. Elle is determined to break this bond and free her older step-sister, who is also mistreated, by buying a wish. Luckily, Elle has a secret talent which fae are willing to pay her for, but to
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sworn (Vampire Legends, #1)
  • Turned (The Vampire Journals, #1)
  • Summer Alone (Summer Alone, #1)
  • Frost (Midnight Ice, #1)
  • Ignite (Skyborn, #1)
  • Different (Tainted Elements, #1)
  • Chosen by Grace (Divine Fate, #1)
  • Distant Dreams
  • Rebel Heart: A prequel (Aloha Shifters: Pearls of Desire, #4.5)
  • The Trouble with Falling (The Trouble Series, #4)
  • Once Solved (A Riley Paige short story)
  • School of Potential (The Kerrigan Kids Book 1)
  • Detective Docherty and the Demon's Tears
  • Discipline (Omega Queen #1)
  • Fade (Chaos #2)
  • Beyond (Beyond #1)
  • Revival (The Variant Series, #1)
  • Soul (Chaos #1)
Rachel Morgan spent a good deal of her childhood living in a fantasy land of her own making, crafting endless stories of make-believe and occasionally writing some of them down. After completing a degree in genetics and discovering she still wasn’t grown-up enough for a ‘real’ job, she decided to return to those story worlds still spinning around her imagination. These days she spends much of her ...more

City of Wishes (7 books)
  • The Vampire Trap (City of Wishes #2)
  • The Moonlight Masquerade (City of Wishes #3)
  • The Eternal Night (City of Wishes #4)
  • The Starlight Quest (City of Wishes #5)
  • City of Wishes 6: The Everafter Wish