Start by marking “Beast” as Want to Read:
Beast

Beast

Please Read Notes: Brand New, International Softcover Edition, Printed in black and white pages, minor self wear on the cover or pages, Sale restriction may be printed on the book, but Book name, contents, and author are exactly same as Hardcover Edition. Fast delivery through DHL/FedEx express.
Published March 25th 2019 by EBURY PRESS

To ask other readers questions about Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beast

Start your review of Beast
Vishnu Chevli
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read & loved the first book in Govinda series by Krishan Udayasankar. By the time I finished it and wanted to buy the next books in the series they were off the shelf. Surprisingly only second-hand books are available currently. Even Kindly version is not available. So this time when the opportunity arose I grabbed it. I know I am a bit late to review Beast, but it is better late than never.

The protagonist of our story is Prithvi. He belonged to a supernatural race called Simhas (or
Debabrata Mishra
Title - Beast
Author - Krishna Udayasankar
Publisher - Penguin India
Genre - Fiction
Language - English
Format - Paperpack

The book is simply wow. I just can't believe what I read now.
Is it a book!
No! No!
It's a book that every writer dreamt to write. It's a book that won every readers heart in each page in each word and in each sentence.

Plot :-
It is an urban fantasy thriller. It is not completely but very much based on Indian myths.
Aditi Kashyap , the Asst. Commissioner Of Police is appointed to
Vivek Tejuja
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I must admit that I do not read Indian crime or fantasy. That’s just my preference and nothing to do with how its written. Although this time I made an exception and deep-dived into “Beast” by Krishna Udayasankar and loved every bit of it. I think it had to do a lot also with the pacing, beside most things. It works superbly for a novel of this nature – a novel steeped in mystery, reads like an action thriller (is also by the way), and interspersed richly with fantasy, character development ...more
Kanwarpal Singh
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review: This books talks about the mythological creatures werelions , guardian and army of god Vishnu who killed evil from the earth in his last avatar, from that time they are waiting for God Vishnu returns for Saving the earth again and till then, they have this secret to keep from humans.

Now story talks about a guy who is enforcer (the one who keep check on those creature who turn wild and kill innocent and want to rule for being superior in strength ) got in a situation when his past come to
Shruti Ramanujam
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gruesome triple homicide takes place in suburban Mumbai and ACP Aditi Kashyap is called in to investigate it. As she starts digging deeper into the case, she realises there’s been a whole new secret set of species called Saimahs (werelions) living side by side with humans since the beginning of time itself. How she joins hands with a Saimah Enforcer to solve this crime forms the rest of the story.

Beast is a compelling urban fantasy/thriller novel that will have you at the edge of your seat,
Vidhya Thakkar
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beast by Krishna Udayasankaris a wonderful story of Prithvi and Aditi. Aditi and Prithvi race through the dark underbelly of Mumbai-from quiet suburbs to gritty brothels, from forgotten colonial tunnels to the lights and glamour of the inner city-in search of a dangerous truth. How was Prithvi’s past? What will happen when Aditi join his hands with Prithvi?

It’s a wonderful story with an amazing full of twists and turns. The narration of the story is crisp and up to the point. The first few
Sahil Pradhan
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his remarkable speech at the burial of Julius Caesar, Marc Antony starts by criticizing Caesar and praising Brutus, but from the first word itself, it is loaded with political shrewdness. Krishna Udayasankar is a brilliant writer. In a country where English proficiency is equated with brilliance, she often dazzles the middle-class Indians with her esoteric English wordplay. However, possession of a good thesaurus and nimble fingers for tweeting are of not much help in navigating the complex ...more
ANMOL JAUHER
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beast by Krishna Udayshankar, is a murder mystery thriller, horrifying at the same time. Also includes a touch of mythology blended with science fiction facts and myths. To blend all these genres and styles into one book is no amateur task.
Krishna Udayshankar has done a great job in clubbing all these together into a single read. The book is a thriller such that it keeps the readers on their toes all throughout the book till the very end.
I love the cover of the book, thrilling and horrifying at
Pradeep E
'Beast' is an urban fantasy thriller set in modern Mumbai. Packed with chase sequences, gangsters, shoot outs and a final showdown at the villain's den, it checks all the right boxes for a classic thriller. It also aims to look beyond just thrills by adding philosophical overtones by casting its eyes on caste conflicts, society's inability to deal with is outliers, the cost of centralising all information and the beast that it can create.

But beyond all that, it wasn't something that kept me
Sarmistha
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

An invigorating concoction of mystery,mayhem,mythology,love,friendship,brotherhood,politics and revenge. A constant tug of war between human conscience and beast's hunger.

When ACP Aditi Kashyap is given the charge of horrific triple murder case little did she imagined,she would be sucked into a vortex of deadly secrets,hideous creatures and secret organizations.Once she realizes,that she is pitted against lethal entity.She join forces with Prithvi, an Enforcer tasked with hunting the
Ajayshankar11
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover of the book goes well with the story. Author's narration style is impressive, though appears difficult to understand / follow for initial few pages but as pages are turned you totally get engrossed in the book. Book is science fiction and has lot of horror and action scenes in it. The horror scenes take your breath away and action scenes are gripping, exciting and lively like in movies.
Plot looks convincing and is about solving of triple homicide murder which happened in Mumbai suburbs
Rohini
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Isn’t it a bit farcical to write a review months after the book is released? Surely the whole world and their grandmother know by now that the book is good, the book is exciting, the book is going to stand as foundational for Indian Urban Horror/Fantasy (with some other stalwarts, but the whole world and their grandmother know about those too. Surely.).

Maybe the world has been living under a rock. Granny reads slowly these days. There are too many books (there are not enough books), and you
SAMVEDNA
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Assistant Commissioner of Police Aditi Kashyap is called upon to solve a gruesome triple homicide in a Mumbai suburb, she is dragged into the terrifying world of the Saimhas-werelions-who have lived alongside humans, hiding amongst them, since ancient times.
Faced with the unbelievable, Aditi has no choice but to join hands with Prithvi, an Enforcer called in to hunt down this seemingly otherworldly murderer.'

Fantasy fiction meets crime and mystery.
The narrative interaction between the two
Chandni Soni
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished reading Beast a couple days back, and as usual loved the writing style of Krishna Udaysankara, that has captured me ever since I read Govinda.

The concept was delightfully different from the cliched 'werewolf' trope. A new foray into WereLions and connecting these fantastical creatures to the Indian mythological Narsimha story is like my favourite kind of genre merger. Although I personally would have liked it better if the full-moon-makes-you-change concept was made a little different.

Priyam Ghosh
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"When you don't know what moves a man, you can't foresee his actions." - Krishna Udayasankar

Blurb:

When Assistant Commissioner of Police Aditi Kashyap is called upon to solve a gruesome triple homicide in a Mumbai suburb, she is dragged into the terrifying world of the Saimhas -- werelions -- who have lived alongside humans, hiding amongst them, since ancient times. Faced with the unbelievable, Aditi has no choice but to join hands with Prithvi, an Enforcer called in to hunt down this seemingly
Bibliophylax
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book mostly because I really enjoyed the author's Aryavarta Chronicles. While I watch a lot of SF/F, I don't read much in the genre. Usually, I'm bored by all the detailed (but necessary) worldbuilding. This wasn't much of a problem with Beast as the setting is Mumbai, and I'm very, very glad I decided to give it a try because it gave me a few hours of sheer reading pleasure.

The story starts in Powai, with corpses of criminal drug dealers. There are rumors in the media about the
T.F.
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Initially I was a bit skeptical to pick this up seeing it was about were lions - concept of vampires and werewolves has been beaten to death in Western Fiction. But still I was curious how this concept has been explored int he Indian context. And after finishing it, I must say the author has done a remarkable job.

She has Indianized the concept by linking to the mythological story of Narasimha while at same time giving a scientific feel with some genetics jargon. The story as such is gripping.
Kritika  Gupta
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great work done by Krishna Udayasankar. By the name of the book, I could have never expected such a plot but which is well executed.
The story revolves around Saimhas – werelions who have lived alongside humans since ancient times. ACP Aditi Kashyap is dragged into this as a terrifying triple murder is encountered in the suburbs of Mumbai. Due to growing gruesome deaths Prithvi, an enforcer is called upon to find out the person responsible behind all these murders and having no choice
Krutika Puranik
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beast.
~
Thank you for sending the review copy @krishnaudayasankar and @penguinindia.
~
Any book with a hint of crime mystery immediately becomes my favourite. But this is probably the first time I've ever had the chance to read something that includes crime as well as fantasy fiction. Also this was my first book by the author so I wasn't sure what to expect. Set in Mumbai suburbs, this book explores Indian mythology. Beast is a book that is sure to entice readers till the very last page.
When a
Chresann Dsouza
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beast by krishna ujayashankar is a wonderful and a gripping book that I read recently.

There are many reasons to like this book firstly I loved the concept around which it revolves. It is unique, innovative and gripping . I haven't read a book that has such a unique and diverse concept that's been executed so well yet!

The writing style was good and engaging.

The narration too was done quite well. Which helped me to stay connected with the story.

The language was easy going and lucid.

The
Uday Singh
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cover! This book's cover was the first thing that got me interested in it. The mixture of red and black with blood style font and that play of shadow; I had to read it. Yes, I know judging a book by its cover isn't the best idea but it will not the first time that I've trusted my guts and they have turned out to be just about right.

The best way to describe it is how this book is a thriller done in the right way. It has a mystery to it, realistic characters and a sincere hook that keep you
Simran Sardana
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey BookLovers!!
Let's talk about the book BEAST by KRISHNA UDAYASANKAR.

BLURB
An urban adventure thriller inspired by the legend of the Narasimha Avatar and explained through Genetics.

It was always the same dream, a dream that began with darkness and blood.

Murtaza Kuwarawala
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Title : Beast

Author : Krishna Udayasankar

Genre : Fantasy
I'm generally quite reluctant to pick up Indian authors since in recent times I have had experiences that were from bad to disastrous. Hence, when I finally decided to pick up this book, I kept my expectations at an pretty average but I did expect a good storyline as she has written a few books earlier which had pretty rave reviews. Read ahead to find out whether the book did meet my expectations or not.

The plot revolves primarily around
Falakjoshipura
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
𝗕𝗲𝗮𝘀𝘁 is authored by @krishnaudayasankar and published by 𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗴𝘂𝗶𝗻 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀 𝗜𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗮
Assistant commissioner of police Aditi Kashyap is assigned a case of tripple murders which has shook the whole city. She is helped by Prithvi,an enforcer to solve the case. But as the case progresses, many twists and turns take place including Prithvi's own past. Who are saimhas? How are they related to this case? What happens next is highly compelling which no reviewer would like to reveal. So grab this book to know
legenbooksdary
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantasy book with hints of Indian folklore that will immediately hook readers with the richness of mystery and action. This book started off with a murder and then the characters are interwoven to connect as the plot thickens.

The way the author writes this story was detailed and on point. I didn't find anything out of place especially for the transition between the past and present. I haven't read much of Indian myth and legends nor do I know much about it so this book was really fun
Tara Bhatnagar
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! Did I enjoy reading this book! Not only because it’s my favourite genre: fantasy, not because there’s a character named after me (Tara), but because it’s an intelligently written book; a powerful statement on humanity.

Drawing from the myth of Hiranyakashipu, Prahalad and the Vishnu avatar, Narsimha, the plot explores the world of ‘Saimhas’ or werelions in the midst of human existence. A gory and baffling triple homicide in a Mumbai suburb triggers a series of events surrounding this
Anuja
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEAST
AUTHOR:Krishna Udayasankar
Publication:Penguin India
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
"The struggle start when u need to fight the beast inside"
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
Introduction
Horrors spread in lively city of mumbai...
When three dead bodies, all having extensive files on them, known as members of rival gang had been found in bits and pieces near Mumbai Pune Highway...And faces turned green and yellow with shock when one of the body of most feared goon name "Rajan"
Though goons have more than one rivals...But the Bodies
Dipali Gupta
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beast as name and cover tells a lot about this book both are perfect and cover is awesome.
This title intrigues me to read this book it looks like an crime thriller but it is way beyond that. I like how Krishna Udayashankar moulds story with mythology ,lot of facts described through them. The story of Narsimha and Prahlad gives an intresting twist.
This story has lot of emotions in between a murder mystery there is love story, betrayal and friendship too. Each thing is written so beautifully that
Perez Selvakumar
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beast is a book that seemed complicated from the synopsis, however once you begin reading and complete the book you realise that actually it was quite a simple read. The story is about a spate of killings happening with Mumbai that reeks of something other worldly, (not by werewolves, but werelions this time). Prithvi is sent to investigate and to bring the situation under control.
The story is very single track and straightforward, and contains all of the trimmings that one may find in a
Audriza Banerjee
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover has the spooky effect that the blurb is supposed to display. It is a very gripping read which can be finished in one go if you’re a tight reader, if you are one who gets distracted even then you will finish it in maximum two reads. It is based in the suburbs of the never sleeping city of India- Mumbai. The descriptions are marvellous. There were several twists and turns throughout, though some of them were predictable. Initially the book might seem to be slow but as you turn the pages ...more

• Narasimha (The Mahaavatar Trilogy #1)
  • Kaalkoot: The Lost Himalayan Secret