Start by marking “Rules for Being a Girl” as Want to Read:
Rules for Being a Girl

Rules for Being a Girl

It starts before you can even remember: You learn the rules for being a girl. . . .

Marin has always been good at navigating these unspoken guidelines. A star student and editor of the school paper, she dreams of getting into Brown University. Marins future seems brightand her young, charismatic English teacher, Mr. Beckett, is always quick to admire her writing and talk
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Rules for Being a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules for Being a Girl

Start your review of Rules for Being a Girl
Rules for Being a Girl is Young Adult contemporary fiction.

This is a YA book by two authors that I enjoy. In their author's note they call it "A YA book with a feminist message for the times".

There is some romance in this book. But I would hesitate to call it a YA contemporary romance. Because this book is so much more than that.

The narrator is 17 year old Marin (high school senior - 1st person POV). Her best friend is Chloe. They are co-editors of the student newspaper together. Something
booksneedcaffeinetoo
Dec 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
finally a book where the teacher is called out for being a fucking pedo.
this book sounds like it has moxie vibes and i'm here for it.
Melissa
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an important one for all young girls. It speaks the truth, it speaks volumes, and I will cherish it. I want my daughter to read this book when she's old enough. I want her to know that whatever happens in her life, I will ALWAYS support her, I will always be there for her. That's what I wanted to tell Marin. When no one believed her, when her life seemed to crash around her, I thought that her parents were her rock. A certain boy too, but I, as a parent, saw how important it was to ...more
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This is definitely an important read with difficult themes and feminism woven throughout. Some things didn't quite hit the spot but I think that high-schoolers and young adults alike would benefit from this read. Review to come.
Carly Faith
Jan 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads, owned
god, i could go OFF about this book and how TRASH it was. i definielty think author is someone i can't read ever again.

i will leave a link to my rant review because it got me that heated.

MY REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEyGm...

rate: 1.5/5
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
"Remember, girl: It's the best time in the history of the world to be you. You can do anything! You can do everything! You can be whatever you want to be!
Just as long as you follow the rules."
I finished this so quickly (probably because it was so good)! Rules for Being a Girl is an empowering story about the difficulties women and girls face on a daily basis. Marin Lospato must face these rules after a beloved english teacher takes things too far.

What a timely story! And it was so well
Sarah Perchikoff
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feminism alert!! If you couldn't tell, I love a book with feminism as it's theme especially when it's a YA book. I will forever be amazed at what teenagers know these days when it comes to feminism. I was still covered in internalized misogyny and they are talking about intersectionality and toxic masculinity. I LOVE to see it!

Rules for Being a Girl tells the story that is all too familiar. A teacher is inappropriate with a student and when the student comes forward, she is not believed and then
Rahma Abdelrahman
Honestly, this sounds a lot like Amelia Westlake Was Never Here, but I'm here for it!
caitlin
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

This was an interesting look at a high school seniors feminist awakening, triggered by an unwanted advance by a beloved teacher who ends up sabotaging her grades and college prospects. Perfect for fans of Moxie.
Julie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**Thank you to Harper Collins Canada and HCC Frenzy for giving me an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.**

Reading the synopsis to this book, I knew that this was going to be an important book and one that I wanted to check out. In a time where it still feels like women are having to fight for all of their rights, to fight to be heard, this is a fantastic book for young girls.

Marin has a traumatic and uncomfortable experience with an authority figure, and it changes how
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, ya, contemporary, 2020
Marin was at the top of her game. In the running for valedictorian? Check. Popular, athletic boyfriend? Check. Co-editor of the school newspaper? Check. A shoe-in for acceptance to her dream school, Brown? Check. Everything seemed to be going according to plan, until her English teacher, Bex, made sexual advances towards her.

As she struggled with confusion and guilt over the situation, Marian also had to deal with blowback from reporting such a beloved teacher. As things began to spiral out,
Vee_Bookish
As someone who has been in an abusive relationship with a teacher

This is gonna be a hard read

I hope she smashes his kneecaps :D
Taschima
"There are so many unspoken rules for navigating high school--for navigating life, maybe--that I can't help but try to figure out which one I broke to get myself into this situation. There are so many rules for girls."

This book is definitely not my usual read--however, it was really engaging (read it in two days) and it shows a situation that a lot of young woman experience in their lifetime (no matter if it is from a teacher or another person in power in their life). Therefore, I think it is a
Fer Bañuelos (myownlittlebookshelf)
most anticipated book of the year peeps
Melannie :)
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Review closer to pub date.
Umairah | Sereadipity
Mar 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
I thought I would enjoy this book better. I guess it was not for me. It was just very predictable and very slow moving. The story was kinda bland and wish there was more to it. Felt very disconnected with the characters and everything.
Cozy Ink
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Aly
This was such an easy, but, IMPORTANT read. I freaking loved it and immediately pre-ordered it.
Leah
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harvey Weinstein, one of the most high profile and powerful sexual predators of the twenty-first century, was recently sentenced to spend the rest of his miserable life in jail for what he did to the women under this thumb. For this reason alone, this book is as relevant as it could be and an utterly timeless reminder of how women are treated in these situations.

Full review at Write, Read, Repeat. Thanks to HCC Frenzy for the ARC!

I've been reading a few more feminist-centric stories as of late,
Jessica G
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hell to the yes.
It's been a while since I read such a fierce feminist-YA read, and WHATAMIDOINGWITHMYLIFE.

This book was legen-wait-for-it...dary.
I love YA novels that get it right. This book was an anthem for my soul, and was a reminder of all the things I fight for every day.
It brings you right back to the times in which you've been discriminated against, and made to follow these rules for being a girl. And it sucks. And this book gets it.

The way this story was structured was absolutely
honestlyjasminereads
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
ℝ𝕦𝕝𝕖𝕤 𝔽𝕠𝕣 𝔹𝕖𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝔸 𝔾𝕚𝕣𝕝

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

I want to ask her if she also feels like there are all these guidelines were supposed to be following in exchange for the alleged privilege of walking around this world as a teenage girl: be flirty but not too flirty. Be confident but not aggressive. Be funny but in a low-key, quiet way. Eat cheeseburgers, dont get fat. Be chill but dont lose control.

Rules for being a girl is a contemporary YA that is written from the point of view of Marin, a young women who is about
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I wish was available to read as a teenager. I honestly think it should be on a required reading list because the message is so important.

Marin is a young girl with a bright future who finds herself in a situation where she then doubts herself and is then labelled as that girl who says things for attention, which is the vibe I was getting from the secondary characters.

It's disgusting that this is something that happens every single day and this is exactly the reaction you get from
Kim
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Umm...I feel like such an ass going in to this review.

Listen. The first thing I know is it didnt feel even remotely real until 90 pages in, and even after that it was questionable. Up until then it felt like a caricature of what everyone thinks a sexist community with an inappropriate student-teacher interaction feels like.

The not-so-big reveal was predictable.

The romance was unnecessary.

I caught the comment about a Netflix original near the beginning, and since I know this hasnt been
Rebecca Rowlands
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Be flirty but not too flirty. Be confident but not aggressive. Be funny but in a low key quiet way. Eat cheeseburgers but don't get fat."

I wish I had read this book at 15, 17, 18, 21. It really smarty touches so many topics, including why feminism has to be intersectional which was really cool. Its informative and too the point without being condescending and all of these lessons are wrapped around a story that, while awful, is necessary. It's really good.

Its definitely YA but even at
gem
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars max.
This had the potential to be great, but I didnt think enough happened. I liked the book club element, but it didnt really stand out as being a major point of difference from other books Ive read with a similar storyline.
Bex is a twat.
Marin is ok, but I feel like she couldve kicked off more and her parents shouldve gotten involved, especially because of the whole Brown thing.
Chloe is so annoying and the ending made me even more frustrated with her.
Meh, I feel underwhelmed.
Maureen
Marin is on track to get everything she's ever worked for...until she is derailed. The result is her recognition of casual sexism, double standards, and inequality between boys and girls. Hits just the right tone for a YA book about serious issues. Not too confrontational but definitely illuminates the issues dealt with. I was immersed in Marin's world, unabashedly privileged, but empathized with her problems. A great read for pre- and young teens.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the
Steph
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This made me all kinds of angry, disgusted, happy and sad. I love that Marins family were so lovely. Team Grey all the way. The power of believing a persons truth and their story, versus a battle of power. She was treated so unfairly, but shes a fighter. Theres so much truth in this book and it made me cross for women all over the world. ...more
Fanna
Dec 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
- "feminist novel"
- deals with sexual harassment and sexism
- unapologetic female protagonist
Felicia Mathews (Bookishly Slytherclaw)
DNF at 15%. I plan to try it again, but at this time I wasn't in the mood to read it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Thorn
  • Love Is for Losers
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Be Not Far From Me
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Red Hood
  • Three Things I Know Are True
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
  • We Are the Wildcats
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
Candace Bushnell is the critically acclaimed, international best-selling author of Killing Monica, Sex and the City, Summer and the City, The Carrie Diaries, One Fifth Avenue, Lipstick Jungle, Trading Up, and Four Blondes. Sex and the City, published in 1996, was the basis for the HBO hit series and two subsequent blockbuster movies. Lipstick Jungle became a popular television series on NBC, as ...more