Start by marking “The Weighing of the Heart” as Want to Read:
The Weighing of the Heart

The Weighing of the Heart

Following a sudden break-up, Englishman in New York Nick Braeburn takes a room with the elderly Peacock sisters in their lavish Upper East Side apartment, and finds himself increasingly drawn to the priceless piece of Egyptian art on their study wall - and to Lydia, the beautiful Portuguese artist who lives across the roof garden.

But as Nick draws Lydia into a crime he
Published March 22nd 2019 by Obliterati Press

To ask other readers questions about The Weighing of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weighing of the Heart

Start your review of The Weighing of the Heart
Jackie Law
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Weighing of the Heart, by Paul Tudor Owen, has undercurrents of romance, crime thriller, and dark mystery, yet it defies the conventions of each of these genres. The author’s deft touch in presenting his protagonist’s thoughts and actions encourages questions about reasoning and veracity – glimpses into the shadows of mostly ordinary behaviour.

The story opens with a statement I disagreed with – something that turned out to be a valid reaction.

“Sooner or later, everybody comes to New York”

Lynn Brown
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought from the description it would be a book I'd like, especially as it is set in New York. Well I didn't just like it, I LOVED it!

Straight away I just loved the character of Nick, a Brit in NY. I'm not sure why exactly maybe it was his slightly laid back approach to life and his calm narration. I adored his voice in the book and the fact that he got himself a room in a Fifth Avenue Apartment, the stuff that dreams are made of. The sisters who owned the Apartment were also fascinating, and
Jessica Belmont
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Weighing of the Heart by Paul Tudor Owen has bits of romance, thriller and mystery, yet it is a unique take on these genres and it was truly a pleasure to read! I was fascinated by Nick, immediately. His approach to life and calmness made me calm, and I absolutely loved reading his point of view.

Paul Tudor Own weaves Egyptology through the novel in such was that I found clever and absorbing. There was clearly a lot of research that went into this and it made it feel realistic. The plot is
India McLeod Kay
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Gill Chedgey
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, the way to my heart is to send me a signed copy! I’m a sucker for them. Gives me a lovely warm, fuzzy feeling because I know that the actual writer has held this actual copy in his fair hand and written in it for me! That’s always a good omen, so thank you, Paul!

Deceptively slender at ‘only’ 241 pages this debut novel is a perfect example of quality not quantity. It’s prose that’s economic but it’s without omission so the overall sense is one of richness and substance. It’s a finely woven
Linda Hill
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moving in to the Peacock sisters’ apartment leads to more than Nick could imagine.

I hardly know where to begin in reviewing The Weighing of the Heart because, despite its brevity, it is a complex and fascinating story that left me with more questions than it answered, because of its superstitious and almost spiritual elements that I found so intriguing.

There’s a visual quality to Paul Tudor Owen’s writing that creates an almost film noir setting in New York. His prose feels timeless so that The
Danielle
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Weighing of the Heart is an original concept type read that entwines the world of art and ancient Egyptian mythology with aspects of a mysterious love story. I have always had an interest in Egyptian mythology (I have the Eye of Horus tattooed on the back of my neck) but one thing that peaked my attention was how Paul took Ancient death rituals beliefs and sewed it perfectly into the plotline - he has done so with such ease, that really makes the storyline flow.

The novel is written in first
Emma Katherine
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: What a catastrophe of a story! Not for the readers, but for the characters. The Weighing of the Heart was a developed, complex, oddly relatable story that discusses human nature and compulsions with extreme engagement and flattery. I adore it! It's like Lemony Snicket for adults. Despite my normal animosity towards slow beginnings, Owen sets up the characters and plot perfectly for a dramatic, heartfelt climax and
Kim Lo
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Weighing of the Heart is a wonderfully written novel by Paul Tudor Owen. Its one that essentially follows the main character Nick who truly starts off as a very likeable character and appealing to all of those people around him. However, throughout the slender length and with that, a well-paced storytelling skills, Nick's character starts to fall apart. His character becomes the central focus as it seems that there is a lot more than what is shown with a lot of questions of his past and the ...more
Vick898 (confession_of_a_reading_freak)

‘Sooner or later, everybody comes to New York…’

Following a sudden break up, Englishman in New York Nick Braeburn takes a room with the elderly Peacock sisters in their lavish Upper East Side apartment, and finds himself increasingly drawn to their priceless piece of Egyptian art on their study wall- and to Lydia, the beautiful Portuguese artist who lives on the roof garden.

But as Nick draws Lydia into a crime he hopes will bring them together, they both begin to unravel, and each finds that the
Jane Hunt
I love a book that defies genre labelling, and ‘The Weighing Of The Heart’, is a perfect example. Told in the first person from Nick’s perspective. He is an ‘Englishman in New York’ and totally captivated by everything he experiences and sees, at least in the beginning. His descriptions and emotions, as he lives in the city, evoke rich visual imagery in the reader’s mind, whether they have experienced New York , or not.

It is almost memoir like in quality, as he tells his story to his eager
Pamela Scott

copy from @ObliteratiPress and voluntarily reviewed

Can I just say how much I fricking loved this book? The style is very reminiscent of Paul Auster, especially The New York Trilogy. I’m a big fan of Auster so this is a good thing. Trust me. I loved the Egyptian imagery and references used throughout the book, especially Nick’s dreams and recurring obsession with the weighting of the heart by Anubis ritual. This adds a nice touch. I’m fascinated by Egyptian
Kimberly
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Weighing of the Heart, Paul Tudor Owen has given us a great gift. The way he brings art into the story is nothing short of brilliant.

This tale starts out innocently enough. We are introduced to a seemingly ordinary guy who is going through a breakup and lands on his friend’s couch when lady luck smiled down on him. Then, BAM! The hammer falls, not only on the plot but on the reader as well.

There are tiny hints sprinkled throughout the novel about Nick, the main character. However, when
Steve Tamburello
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never been to New York but within a few pages I was fully immersed in the city through the eyes of Nick Braeburn, as he finds his place in the New World in the spirit of the great American novels like Catcher in the Rye or On the Road. But before you realise, it all takes a less than ideal turn. The constant presence of the Egyptian gods added an interesting layer to the story and there's plenty to mull over when the book is done. A writer to watch.
Rebecca
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Weighing of the Heart" is a cleverly constructed story that I'd highly recommend. It's difficult to review a book like this without giving too much away, but there's art, romance, a little bit of comedy, some drama and most importantly a crime. 5 stars!

My full review: https://whatrebeccasread.wordpress.co...
Contrary Reader
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this ramble through a lamenting, yearning Upper East Side with a crazy, unexpected ending. Is it an exploration of insanity? Exposition of the Egyptian book of the dead? Or just conscience weighed out for us to consider?
Ibrahim
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Weak story, strange end to it, maybe cause I thought it has ANYTHING to do with the weighing of the heart, or something more idk i just simply didn't like the book and found it a bit boring....
Emma Parkinson
Any book based in New York is a winner in my eyes. This book is very well written and made me feel like I was right there, back in NYC standing on Fifth Avenue or walking into Central Park.

Whilst the story is based in New York, we are also transported to Ancient Egypt. I haven’t ever really known much about Egypt and it’s mythology but this was really insightful. I wished I had all of the paintings that were discussed in front of me so that I could see their true beauty. They sound fantastic.

J McKenzie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book - very accomplished for a first-time novelist. Difficult to review without giving too much away, but the central character, Nick, is very well drawn and convincing as a narrator, with just enough glimpses beyond what he's saying to give you pause, and lead you on in the story. I think it would merit a re-read just to pick up on the clues once you've finished the book. I enjoyed the author's ear for dialogue, and particularly, given Nick's 'Englishman in New York' remove ...more
Ken Smith

• Three Hours
  • Gone
  • The Poppy Wife: A Novel of the Great War
  • Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus
  • The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)
  • Expectation
  • I Wanted You To Know
  • The Complex
  • En moderne familie
  • A Layer Hidden
  • Wranglestone (Wranglestone, #1)
  • The Carer
  • The Flower Arranger: A story she can't let go. A case he can't solve. A killer who won't stop.
  • Archie, Vol. 6