Start by marking “Blood and Other Matter” as Want to Read:
Blood and Other Matter

Blood and Other Matter

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  32 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Blood moon rising...
Derrick Hernandez and Tess D'Ovidio have been best friends forever. There's nothing they wouldn't do for one another. But their childhood bond is put to the test when Tess shows up on Derrick's porch covered in blood...
Tess has no memory of what happened. She'd gone to a bush party with one of the football players. She remembers the bonfire...and then,
Published April 17th 2019 by ImaJinn Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Other Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Other Matter

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Blood and Other Matter
Jypsy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood And Other Matter is a thrilling disturbing story. The premise is unique and refreshing. It's a bit bizarre, but somehow it works to create an engrossing read full of twists and turns. I liked the story better than I expected, and it certainly kept my attention. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Brandy
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book grabs you by the throat and won’t let go. It is a unique spin on the “monster” tale, a moonlight ritual gone wrong and nearly an entire football team found dead. One by one, the surviving members end up dead. What happened that night and who is responsible???? Mass amnesia befell everyone involved, but nightmares slowly piece events together until a shocking revelation rocks those involved. Nobody will ever be the same. How do they stop the ball once it’s rolling and who will survive?? ...more
~Reading Rambler~
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood and Other Matters is a sad, endearing, suspenseful, and occasionally amusing cocktail that I just couldn’t put down.

Going into this book I didn't initially realize it was a horror novel, but it did not take me long at all to realize that it was indeed, a horror.

The complexity of the main characters, Tess and Derrick, are wonderfully done, and there friendship was cute. I loved that he was always there for her, and that he was always protecting her, to a fault.

It was intriguing how it wen
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Blending together supernatural elements with the horror of teenage cruelty, this was a complex young adult horror novel with compelling mystery at the core of the story. While some aspects of the narrative were predictable, other aspects were not. The author was able to keep me guessing for quite some time what actually happened on that tramautic night. I would have enjoyed this story more without the obligatory YA romance, but for the most part, I enjoyed reading the other aspects of t
Torie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-arc
I loved this book! It had a Final Destination feel to it for me. You have to read it to understand it!

Tess went to a bonfire the football team had. A few hours later she shows up to her best friend's house covered in blood. She has no memory of what happened!

I couldn't put this book down once I started it! I totally lost track of time. All that mattered was finding out what happened!
Jennifer Jackson
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the author for an honest review.

Honestly, horror isn't normally my genre, though I have dabbled in some Stephen King and Paul Tremblay. However, this is my first-ever YA horror novel, and I have to say, I'm impressed. I enjoyed the twists and turns, and I was surprised by the ending. But surprised in a good way--a "I didn't see that coming, but I should have" way.

The setting reminded me of the small town I grew up in, and for that reason, seemed totally realistic. The town
Emma Cox
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine if your best friend went to a party and then turned up at your house in different clothes and also covered in blood! It would be terrifying but its actually becoming normal for Derrick and his best friend Tess.

I don't want to give too much away about this book at all because I think it is a book that you should go into completely blind. There were so many twists and turns and the way that snippets of information are fed to us is really amazing.

Kaitlin Did an amazing job at approaching s
Kookie9200
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

This book left me with a lot of questions, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I haven't been able to get it out of my head since I finished it. It's one of those books that hooks you and keeps you in the narrative.

I will say some of the transitions within the chapters were a little abrupt, but I still thought the overall story was strong enough that I stayed in the book the whole time.

When Tess shows up at Derric
Travis Poole
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun and entertaining book. I really liked the little human touches the author threw in you do not normally find in a lot of books. Tess digging in the deodorant to get the last little bit or tapping a soda can three times before opening it. The author managed to keep me guessing until the very end. There are funny parts, scary parts and sad parts. This is part horror, part mystery and part romance. Tess and Derrick are best friends who have lived next door to each other their e ...more
Shari B
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
That was...gruesome...

Wouldn't you be suspicious if you were invited to a bonfire and the only girl there? Not Tess. She's got enough problems with her Mom being sick, slightly abusing her and having no food in the house. Course her best guy friend has some concerns. And he should, after she comes back covered in blood and human skin.

The book was really exciting, there were no slow parts, a tinge of romance.
Heather Bennett
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood and Other Matter is a good book with interesting characters. It is written well and has some interesting twists. This book will keep you entertained.
Mackenzie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Horror is not usually (EVER) my genre, but I have loved Kaitlin Bevis' Persephone and Aphrodite trilogies, so I gave it a chance. Holy cow! I LOVED this so much. I couldn't stop reading!
Rob Olin
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, I really enjoyed reading this book. The death scenes are amazing.
April Taylor
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blood and Other Matter is ostensibly a story about a malevolent entity that goes on a murderous rampage. But at its core, this horror thriller is really a big metaphor for sexual assault and how it makes the victim feel. Due to that, this is an important book for young adults to read, but it also requires a trigger warning for those who have already personally dealt with this theme.

Bad things happen to us sometimes, and we're not usually at fault or in control of what happened. And when the bad
Gary Brower
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I caught your attention right at the beginning till the end. I would recommend

Right away. I would recommend this book to all my friends. The story kept me on edge the whole book. I couldn’t put down.
Sharon
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Blood and Other Matter had me hooked from the beginning; it isn't the normal type of book that I read but it kept me wanting to know what was going on.

It all starts when Tess is invited to a bonfire with her childhood friend and ends up on her best friend Derrick’s doorstep covered in blood and other body matter with no recollection of how it all happened. Tess and Derrick soon learn that she and seven other boys were the only ones to make it back from the party alive.

Tess had a difficult home l
Mariah Smitala
Overall, a worthy addition to the horror genre for the way it sucks you in and lets you feel the fear along with the characters.
Read the full review here:
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This was not my usual type of book, it was interesting and the author was skilled at keeping you guessing with what was going on and what had happened. Good characterisation, nice little bit of romance but not too much, an interesting read

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Melanie McFarlane
Five stars all the way for this book! A true horror, written for the teen market that does not disappoint. Bevis lays out the story perfectly, revealing all aspects of the mystery at the exact moment. With an ending as expected as it is shocking, this is definitely one of my favourite reads of the year.
Tamara
*I received a free copy of this ebook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

I’m honestly torn on what rating to give this book. It sucked me in right from the start and held my attention throughout; it was difficult to put down. It fascinated me and was a bit freaky. (I don’t do straight-up horror, FYI.) But the end was too abrupt. Things were getting really crazy, and then they just stopped. It’s like a huge fire was doused all at once. Dear Ms. Revis: Did you run out of memory o
Jessica (Read book. Repeat)
You can find this review and all of my others over at www.readbookrepeat.wordpress.com

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, ImaJinn Books, and the author via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Find me over at| Facebook |

Actual rating of 3.5

Tess and her best friend Derrick are outcasts, they used to be friends with the "cool" kids, but I guess things change as you grow up. Friendships that used to mean the world, no longer exist. So when an old friend of theirs, Josh,
Aly
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25/5

I don't have too much to say about this one, but it was a pretty alright read. I haven't read any of the author's previous work, but this one sounded pretty interesting. I've been getting back into reading these types of thriller-murder-mystery novels, so this seemed up my alley.

Honestly, I thought it was enjoyable, but a lot of things were just bugging me throughout. I guess the main problem is that I just didn't really care about any of the characters. Tessa I just didn't really care abo
Courtney Payne
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
To read my full review please go to https://opinionatedbw.blogspot.com/20...

Blood and Other Matter started off pretty strong. The characters seemed interesting, the initial conflict was appealing and Tess's unfortunate circumstances had me feeling like she was going to be a character that I could sympathize with. Unfortunately, those initial impressions didn't last long.
Alba Viesca sánchez
Sep 18, 2019
Jen ❀
Apr 22, 2019

• What Happened That Night
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Queen's Keeper
  • Good Girls Lie
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Something I'm Good At
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • Seeker (Keeper Duology #2)
  • The Girl in Red
  • Breakout
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Where She Went
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles #1)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
I spent my childhood curled up with a book, and a pen. If the ending didn’t agree with me, I rewrote it. Now, I write my own endings, middles, and beginnings for the Daughters of Zeus series, including the best selling novel, Persephone.

I’ve always wanted to be a writer, and I spent high school and college learning everything I could so that one day I could achieve that goal. I graduated college