Start by marking “Firefighters in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Firefighters in the Dark

Firefighters in the Dark

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
At night, a girl hears the sirens from the fire station near her house.
Even though it is dark outside, she knows where they are going: to a castle, to a garden, all the way to Pluto . . .

Published October 2nd 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Firefighters in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefighters in the Dark

Dashka
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: with-msb
How thrilled I was to have Nicoletta Ceccoli illustrate this book. Isn't she amazing? I wrote this book when my son was obsessed with firefighters and have been gratified by how many other firefighter-obsessed kids have latched onto it -- one pair of twins even began calling themselves Bruce (both of them). This review is from Publisher's Weekly:
Slater and Ceccoli are ideally paired, with the incantatory rhythms of the prose mirroring the velvety surfaces and Zen-like vibe of the acrylic and pa
S
Aug 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
We originally borrowed this book from the library and ended up buying it for ourselves because of the beautifully illustrated drawings. It's about a little girl who hears sirens & makes up imaginative stories about how the fires get started and how the firefighters are going to put them out. The causes of the fires are whimsical (a woman in Mexico eats hot peppers and creates "fire flowers" that the firefighters have to put out), and the drawings hold the kiddos' attention. It's a bit long f ...more
Connie
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is amazing. I cannot believe I never heard of this book before!

It's clearly a bedtime story, though you can read it at any time. The focus of the book isn't on firefighters in the typical way, it's on a little girl making up bedtime stories about where the firefighters near her go every night.

The illustrations, first off, are gorgeous. I would have wanted this book for the pictures alone. At one point, the girl says that the firefighters are never scared, and are as strong as tigers, and y
Shannon
Nov 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-aj
Oh, I hated this book. But AJ wanted to read it at every bedtime.
Christy
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
At night, a girl hears the sirens from the fire station near her house.

Dashka Slater and Nicoletta Ceccoli have crafted a dreamy ode to firefighters everywhere and the big, brave, spectacular feats they accomplish every day, and every night—all the world over.
Bri
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
My brother's a firefighter so I have a habit of flipping through all the firefighter-themed children's books that come through the library. This one is mostly silly, but it's the perfect kind of silly. The part with the firefighters playing with bubbles in the bath was enough to make me check the book out and make my brother read it over the holidays. :)
Meg
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Fun, whimsical book featuring a girl who lives near a fire station and imagines fantastical scenarios that call the firefighters out in the night. I liked the adventurous main character, the racially and gender- diverse group of firefighters, and the imaginative scenarios. The ending felt kind of abrupt.
Dolly
Oct 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Ethereal illustrations and fantastic, tall tale stories create a dream-like environment for this story. A creative and inventive little girl makes up a narrative for the sirens and sounds she hears outside her window. Great for bedtime reading.
Katherine Cowley
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first picture book I've read that makes me think "magical realism." It feels like reading Isabel Allende or Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Real facts about firefighters are mixed with imaginative journeys, and the illustrations add to the delight.
Becky
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a spectacular bedtime story for boys and girls who love firefighters.
Tiffany
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly imaginative prose for a children's book, and very colorful, stylized illustrations.
Jaimee
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A little girl dreams about all the reasons fire fighters have to go out out fires! Its an imaginative story great for young adventurous readers.
Kimberly
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations and my kids (3 & 5) hung on to every word of this story. I loved the energy of this story and the imagination of the little girl telling the stories in this book.
Relyn
Aug 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the illustrator
ICK! What a icky book. As I read this one I found myself thinking, "How do these things get published?" Not even Ceccoli's illustrations could redeem it.
Jenny
Jan 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Disliked this book, kept wondering when it was going to be over so I could stop reading it to my son! Only read it once and it was back to the library!! Thought it was pretty strange.
Gail
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Gentle and imaginative pictures. I thought my 2.5 year old would be scared of the fire pictures, but she wasn't. I think it's because she has no concept of fire yet.
Ginger
Oct 23, 2014
Margret
Mar 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Dashka Slater’s novel, The Wishing Box, was named one of the best books of the year by the Los Angeles Times, which called it “an impish novel, hopeful and full of humor.” She is the author of four acclaimed children's books: Baby Shoes; Firefighters in the Dark; The Sea Serpent and Me and Dangerously Ever After. She has two picture books forthcoming in 2017, as well as the much-anticipated Young ...more
More about Dashka Slater...