Start by marking “One Way Out (Harry Virdee #4)” as Want to Read:
One Way Out (Harry Virdee #4)

One Way Out

(Harry Virdee #4)

A bomb detonates in Bradford’s City Park.

When the alert sounds, DCI Harry Virdee has just enough time to get his son and his mother to safety before the bomb blows. But this is merely a stunt.

The worst is yet to come.

A new and aggressive nationalist group, the Patriots, have hidden a second device under one of the city’s mosques. In exchange for the safe release of those
Published June 27th 2019 by Transworld Digital

Start your review of One Way Out (Harry Virdee #4)
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Having recently read and loving City of Sinners which is the third book in the series, I couldn’t wait to read the next book and yet again the author didn’t disappoint. Even though this is the fourth book in the series, due to the nature of the story line, I felt it worked well as a stand alone.

This is such a fast paced read. We start off with Harry spending quality time with his mother and son and for once things seem to be going well in Harry’s world. Life yet again though has other plans.
Nigel
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Helluva read - just for a change from AA Dhand :). Is it credible - of course not. Sadly the sadly is not INcredible. Fast moving, tense, powerful and Harry very much in action even if it isn;t quite clear exactly what is going on. I became a fan of Harry Virdee when I read the first book - I remain a fan after reading this and look foward to the next one.
Raven
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of late there have been a couple of “completely unputdownable, the only thriller you need to read this year, blah…” action thrillers, hyped to buggery that sadly have actually been quite disappointing. Oh no, you say, surely there must be a book that combines the pace of a high octane thriller, underscored by an incisive commentary on the nature of radicalism, with a thought provoking and touching meditation on family conflict and forgiveness. Well, funny you should say that. Having read the ...more
Meggy
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Oh My God. Some books just make you go crazy. I don't mean 'This is awful' crazy. I mean 'The brain and hands who wrote this are magical' crazy. I owe Mr Dhand a massive book hangover! I enjoy action and thrillers, but I was not ready for such a pacy, punchy, and current novel to slap me and make me beg for more!

HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY A.A. Dhand!

My thanks to Anne Cater for inviting me to be part of this blog tour and to the publisher for sending me a copy of this novel in exchange for an

Emma Mitchell
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One Way Out starts with a scene I am more than used to. City Park is a place I take my children, we paddle in the mirror lake, we watch movies and sporting events on the big screen, my family and friends drink in the pubs around the water feature, we attend exhibitions and festivals there, my children go on school trips there. I know this place so well, I can smell it ... to 'watch' it be subject to a terrorist attack in the book was utterly heartbreaking and harrowing. I could see the rubble of ...more
Lel Budge
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-cater
This is #4 in the Harry Virdee series, but can easily be read as a stand-alone.

Harry is enjoying his annual leave, by spending time with his mother and young son Aaron on a day out to City Park, Bradford……his wife is at Friday prayers in a nearby mosque……but then there’s a security alert and people need to leave the area….

There’s panic as people run to leave….Harry knows the area, so takes his mother and son to a nearby building that he knows has a cellar…..but his so worried about his wife,
James
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One Way Out by A A Dhand

The fourth outing for Harry Virdee, A A Dhand’s Bradford based protagonist is an explosive one, and that description is apt. The novel opens literally with a massive explosion, a huge bomb exploding under the City Park, the emergency services having evacuated the area with just moments to spare. Harry was in the park with his son and it takes him a little while to discover that the city’s mosques are being held to ransom, a previously unknown far-right group having
Lauren Tess'x
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, my thanks go to Anne Cater and the publisher for my #gifted copy. I’m sorry this post has gone up much later than planned (family issues!).
This is the first book that I’ve read by A. A. Dhand and I absolutely LOVED it. One Way Out is one of those books where the wordunputdownableis not enough to describe this book. I’d go as far as to say, this book absolutely consumed me.
A. A. Dhand has a fabulous character in Harry Virdee. I know this is the fourth book featuring this character but
Surjit Parekh
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a a dhand has taken the DI Harry Virdee series to the next level in One Way Out the Brilliant epic crime thirller deals with terrorism in a different way Harry has 18 hours to save saima from a bomb which has been planted in one of mosques in the city of Bradford the terrorist group called the parriots are demanding the release of 4 terrorist in exchange of the lives on innocent muslims it's up to DI Harry Virdee to bring the 4 terrorists to the parriots and save his wife and the lives of ...more
MarmottanReads
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has a really tight plot, which cracks along at pace. It’s also highly topical, covering the rise of both religious extremism and nationalism. The hostage scenario is a really clever set up, and I’ll confess to being worried that the rest of the book might disappoint. It doesn’t. Harry is an interesting and complex character who, especially given his own wife is in danger, is quite prepared to resolve the situation by any means. It’s a bit Roy Grace police procedural, a bit Jack Reacher ...more
Elizabeth Ducie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bradford is like a powder keg about to explode. City Park is a smoking hole in the ground, and there is a bomb in one of the Mosques. The Far Right are making demands.And social media is all over it. Harry Virdee is called upon by Home Secretary Tariq Islam to cross the line once more in order to save his city and his family. Another page-turning thriller from A A Dhand which has so many elements of twenty-first century politics and society, it could almost be non-fiction. A great read, highly ...more
Christine Rennie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One Way Out by AA Dhand is the fourth in the D I Harry Virdee series and yet again it is an explosion of violence, death and mayhem in the city of Bradford.
This time a thousand Muslims are kept captive by the threat of a bomb going off inside the Mosque. The instigators want their rival faction to be brought to the mosque and then the people can be freed.
An interesting, fascinating storyline with Harry Virdee coming out alive at the end.
Highly recommended.
Annette
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great addition to the Harry Virdee Series. Panic in the center of Bradford, as a warning, is given that a bomb has been planted in the heart of the city. There are conditions to be met to prevent carnage but Harry's first thoughts are to get his family to safety while ignoring the constant messages and calls on his mobile. He is off duty but soon realises that he must do the biding of The Home Secretary which involves putting himself in grave danger. A brilliant read, loved it
Simon Gosden
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DCI Harry Virdee is not having a good day. Firstly there was the massive bomb in the Bradford park he was having a picnic in with his son and his mum. Then he found out that his wife is trapped in one of the city's mosque with the threat from the far right Patriots that there's another massive bomb in one of them too. They want the four leaders of the extremist group Almuhtaroon delivered to them within hours...…..then it gets really bad!
Kirsty
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A conflicted 3.5.
Yes, it's fast paced and well written (bar the odd missing word and slightly dodgy 'journalist' reports), but it's just so ... out there. I like fast paced thrillers, but I just wish Dhand would be a bit more .... subtle ...?
sue pensom
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant

Read in two sittings really could not put this one down Mr Dhand has done it again ......can't wait for the next one ...few Loose ends to tie up regarding family.
Lesley Russell
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
What a fast paced book. Enjoyable from start to finish.
Carolyn
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read. Interesting mix of politics and religion. Hopefully a scenario that could NEVER happen.
Mikeh5972
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this fourth book of the Harry Virdee series. They are just getting better and better. I look forward to next year's continuation of the series.
Paul
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Far fetched

Too far fetched for my tastes I'm afraid. Shame because I really enjoy the family drama and the characters and the portrait of Bradford itself.
Chris Nolan
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely riveting!
Christopher Williams
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good book in this series. Set in Bradford as usual with a terrorist theme and plenty of twists along the way!
Feed The Crime
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-books
Oh man! This is one crazy rollercoaster of a read! The way I described this book to my partner was like the film London has Fallen, that is due to the crazy pace of the book with lots of action and everything happening over the course of about 24 hours.

We are thrown straight into the thick of the action as in the first few chapters we have a huge explosion at a busy park in Bradford by an aggressive group who have named themselves The Patriots while Harry was their with his family. I felt tense
John
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Real Unputdownable Must Read

Full of twists and turns, this is a really involving read. Bradford should be truly proud of beingbthe hone of Dhand. I hope someone sees the potential if putting Harry Virdee on screen.
Alex  Jones
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th book in the explosive, Bradford based crime series starring DCI Harry Virdee.

And it is back with a bang!

The opening prologue is astonishing and jaw dropping..

Bradford is under attack, a summer's day, everyone is enjoying the sun. Then Boom, there is a warning , get out now! mass panic ensues and a huge explosion detonates wiping out part of Bradford city centre, though that isn’t the worst of it, a 2nd , bigger bomb is primed and ready to explode, hidden within one of the 105
Ember
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Harry Virdee Thriller that doesn't disappoint! Bradford is under siege with hundreds of people held to ransom in exchange for four lives. The government is firm on not negotiating but DCI Harry Virdees wife is one of the hostages. Can he round up the four to save a thousand lives? I couldn't put this pacy thriller down, Dhand is definitely on my list of favourite authors.
Robin hinchley
Dec 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Last Request
  • The Sleepwalker
  • Unseen Evil: Social Media can be the death of you ... (D.I. Gus McGuire series Book 6)
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Razia
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • Death in the East
  • A Breath on Dying Embers
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • Western Fringes
  • The Art of Dying (Way of All Flesh 2)
  • East of Hounslow (Jay Qasim #1)
  • Homegrown Hero (Jay Qasim #2)
  • Gone
  • Nothing to Hide (DC Constance Fairchild, #2)
  • La fragilidad de los cuerpos (Verónica Rosenthal, #1)
  • The Career Killer (DCI Mabey #1)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
A.A. Dhand was raised in Bradford and spent his youth observing the city from behind the counter of a small convenience store. After qualifying as a pharmacist, he worked in London and travelled extensively before returning to Bradford to start his own business and begin writing. The history, diversity and darkness of the city have inspired his Harry Virdee novels.

Harry Virdee (4 books)
  • Streets of Darkness (Harry Virdee, #1)
  • Girl Zero (Harry Virdee, #2)
  • City of Sinners (Harry Virdee #3)