Start by marking “Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)” as Want to Read:
Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)

Find Me

(Call Me By Your Name #2)

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  15,120 ratings  ·  2,506 reviews
In this spellbinding exploration of the varieties of love, the author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters decades after their first meeting.

No novel in recent memory has spoken more movingly to contemporary readers about the nature of love than André Acimans haunting Call Me by Your Name. First published in 2007,
Published October 29th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Find Me, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ulrike I went to a reading with Aciman last week and I got the impression that the events at the end of CMBYN may not be a strict "this is what happens after…moreI went to a reading with Aciman last week and I got the impression that the events at the end of CMBYN may not be a strict "this is what happens after that summer" at all. He talked a lot about there being different versions of our lives or parallel lives and he elaborated on this idea of the San Clemente Syndrom (the church that was destroyed and build up again and again). So maybe the end of CMBYN, as we know it now, is one version of how Elio and Oliver's lives could have gone on and in Find Me, we learn a different version of events where the characters may have made different choices to end in different places.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ricardo Walker I think every single romantic relationship in both books, Find Me and CMBYN are more autobiographical than they are realistic. Aciman said of the film…moreI think every single romantic relationship in both books, Find Me and CMBYN are more autobiographical than they are realistic. Aciman said of the film that Samuel was exactly as he imagined him. That's not the Samuel of Find Me. Not at all. And Annella becomes a throw away character which burns me up. Elio and Oliver essentially come off as having been biding time until either death or reuniting should it ever happen. Other relationships are reduced to merely sexual fulfillment, placeholders or being comatose. It is still good tho to see what became of Elio and Oliver respectively and whether their paths cross again. Honestly it would have been better to have their portions of the book added seamlessly before and after the epilogue of CMBYN. I'd recommend CMBYN any day as an intriguing book. I'll never recommend Find Me.(less)

·  15,120 ratings  ·  2,506 reviews

Start your review of Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
Kai
Dec 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: queer
there's gonna be a sequel

in other words: what a great day to be gay
Kyle
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Actual rating: 1.5 (rounded down)

I... dont know what to say. I didnt think this would ever happen. I am painedddd. This is, without doubt, one of the most disappointing literary moments of my life.

Where do I begin?

Aciman retconned many of the events from Call Me By Your Name. Some events/relationships/characterizations were changed for the better, and others for the worse. The fan service is there, but its so goddamn inconsequential; too little, too late.

First and foremost, let me tell you from
Barry Pierce
My review of Find Me can be read on the Irish Times here: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bo...
Fatma
Nov 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks, lgbtqia
hats off to andré aciman for writing the most actively bad book ive read this whole year. like truly in terms of being extremely and painfully bad this book is a total 10/10

lmao i dont even know what the fuck i just read this book asked me to buy some of the most bizarre shit ive ever laid my eyeballs on as if i havent lived on god's green earth for more than 2 decades and dont know how actual human interaction works

some bullet points bc i cant be bothered to properly write a review for this
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Three efficiently, adroitly written but not my kind of cuppa story stars!
Sniff! My heart aches because I missed Elio and Oliver so much!!But this book is not about them!!! I can hear your screams right now!

I truly understand the frustration, disappointment and boiling anger of the readers after reading this book because most of them (partly me, too) wanted to see conclusion ( a small chance of HEA) of Elio and Oliver! We want to grab the sequel, reading their compassionate journey ( older and
Larry H
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Find Me was altogether different than I expected, but it was utterly, gloriously moving.

"...the magic of someone new never lasts long enough. We only want those we cant have. Its those we lost or who never knew we existed who leave their mark. The others barely echo."

While Find Me is, in essence, a sequel to Call Me By Your Name , for the most part its more a book that follows some of the characters. If you go in expecting another whole book about Oliver and Elio youll be disappointed.

This
Carla
Dec 25, 2018 added it
THIS IS NOT GOOD- THE STORY WAS PERFECT. WE DONT NEED MORE. PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO LET GO. WRITE A NEW ONE. A WHOLE NEW STORY. LEAVE ELIO ALONE YOU FUCKING PEOPLE.
Elyse  Walters
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read many angry 1 star reviews.
Im not one of them,
yet I understand the frustration from those readers. They wanted more than 11 pages of *Elio & Oliver*.

Where some readers felt the characters were shallow -I felt the they were real.
I was totally captivated with the entire novel.

We first meet Samuel, ( Elios father), and the much younger witty/beautiful Miranda. They are strangers on a train.
I thought their dialogue was phenomenal- vibrantly engaging, insightful, truthful, and easily
Kenn Laurence
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
HIDE YOUR PEACHES!!!!!!🍑

---------------------

NOT WHAT I EXPECTED... but still worth the read.

I loved and hated parts of this book. And I read this book because I desperately wanted to find out what happened with Elio, and Oliver. If you expected a sequel, this isnt what this is necessarily.
Glire
Mar 31, 2019 marked it as to-read-or-not-to-read
Sequel to the novel Call Me By Your Name?

description
Ben Rosenstock
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
lottie
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
thank you to Andre Aciman for using this sequel to confirm what I always knew in my heart: Elio is a Scorpio
Dianah
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The sequel to Call Me By Your Name is probably one of the most anticipated books in the literary world, and yes, it was worth the wait. The continuation of the story of Elio and Oliver examines the lives they've lived separately for the past twenty years, and it's genius how well Aciman re-captures the essence of these two. Untangling themes of loneliness, love, commitment, and the intangible idea of soul mates, Aciman writes a story that leaves his lovers.... well, you'll see. A haunting ...more
Kenny
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
As the French poet says, Le temps dapprendre à vivre il est déjà trop tard, by the time we learn to live, its already too late.
Find Me ~~ André Aciman

Waaaah! Waaaah! This is the sound from so many people throwing temper tantrums for not getting the sequel to Call Me By Your Name they wanted. The cries have been deafening. To be honest, my fear was this sequel would read like fan fiction. It did and it didnt. Thankfully it was not Call Me By Your Name Part Deux

With that being said, I'm certain
Eric Anderson
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Literary sequels are definitely a trend this year with the recent massive release of The Testaments and now the forthcoming publication of André Acimans much-anticipated sequel to his novel Call Me by Your Name. Readers naturally have a lot of scepticism about these beloved stories being extended. The very popular film adaptation of Call Me by Your Name brought the romantic story of sensitive teenager Elio and older graduate student Oliver to a much wider audience. This not only prompted fans to ...more
Meags
2 Stars

Well, Im not sure what to say.

Call Me By Your Name is one of the most stunningly composed and profoundly affecting stories Ive ever read, and this sequel.... well, lets just say it left a lot to be desired.

BEWARE: Spoilers ahead!...

Spanning the course of the twenty years after Elio and Olivers life-changing summer together, this story is broken into three main sections, each narrated by a different character.

The first section sees Elios father Samuel, as he travels to Rome to visit a
Suanne Laqueur
OK, so obviously I wasn't a fan. I finished it and simply thought, "Why?"

I mean, like, why? What was that all about?

The book is divided into three sections. The first, from Samuel's point of view, was ridiculous. The second, from Elio's was better but ended up being pointless because it was followed by Oliver's section, which was... what?

I don't know. Aciman is a brilliant writer and I love some of his turns of phrase and insights. But the book just seemed a three-movement concerto in the key of
Creta
Apr 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Even though I really hate it everytime the book I like having an instant sequel/prequel novel coming after the success of the movie adaptation, I will definitely give Find Me a try. (Imo, CMBYN's ending is already perfect, having a sequel is just.. a risky idea. If André didn't do it good, it could destroy everything..)

But anyway, in André we trust.
SURPRISE ME OLD MAN. MAKE ME CRY ONE MORE TIME I CHALLENGE YOU. MY GAYASS IS READY TO SOB ALL DAY NONSTOP.
Michael
Nov 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Well, this is the most heartbreaking one-star rating Ive ever doled out.

I should preface this by saying I was firmly in the no-sequel camp from the second I heard of this novel being a possibility. CMBYN had one of the best-executed endings Ive ever read, and any sequel charting that love story again would ruin the tense, bittersweet longing Aciman created in that novel. However, I felt a little better about Find Me once the synopsis surfaced - not necessarily a sequel, but a series of vignettes
Jonathan
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
its just that the magic of someone new never last long enough. We only want those we cant have. Its those we lost or who never knew we existed who leave their mark. The others barely echo.
Find me isnt necessarily a sequel to call me by your name as much a revelatory continuation of the beautiful feeling that I harbored while reading, and long after reading CMBYN. Andre Aciman writes about love and longing unlike any other, his ability to capture an intangible sense of dire heartache echos
Iris
Oct 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I hated this.
Don't read it.
Alternatively, if you need a satisfying ending to CMBYN, buy this and skip the first half of the book.

Authors should not be allowed to be misogynistic assholes in this day and age. Having one named female character be essentially a cliche and a babymaker made me hate this book.

I will never read another Andre Aciman novel.
Now I gotta go brush my teeth and get this bad taste out of my mouth.

⭐Edit⭐
Here is the reading vlog where I review this book: Find Me Reading Vlog
Emma
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was dreading this book so much and I'm sorry to say I was right.
I think it did not live up to the first book and I'm not even sure what André Aciman was trying to achieve with this novel. Were we supposed to remember the past and long for it?

The book is divided into four parts. (view spoiler)
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
TO SEE MY FULL REVIEW, CLICK HERE: https://storiesforcoffee.com/find-me-...

When I finished Call Me By Your Name in 2018, it lingered in my mind and entrapped me in its romantic, hazy world that I never wanted to escape. The prose and musings tucked between its pages changed me, as a reader, and I wish that Find Me had the same effect. But Ive realized, after processing the story for a bit, that this novel is not necessarily a sequel to CMBYN but a companion novel for those curious about Elio
Read By RodKelly
For all the lives we don't live, time is the perpetual price we pay. These counterlives, in which we love our true beloveds, feeling passion & its expression as an extension of time itself, or rather, a cessation of time, where we are once again who we were when love first denuded us with its flaming tongue, changing us on a molecular level; we are kept under glass, preserved, as in a cryogenic sleep, to be awakened at our true love's kiss -- if it arrives; & what of spending a lifetime ...more
Iulia
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
After having loved Call Me By Your Name so much, news of a sequel made me feel equal parts delight and apprehension. The initial story was so impactful precisely because it was brief. Along with the lovely Italian summer, the whimsy of the Perlman household and Elio's exploration of his own desire, it all comes together in a perfectly encapsulated and unrepeatable story. I was afraid that extending it might dilute its essence, and to be frank, that was the case at times with Find Me. Suffice to ...more
Moony Eliver
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, lgbtqia, m-f, 2019
1.5-2 stars. I'm not sure whether I'm going to write a real review on this one. I'll mull over it. I did not like the narrative voice (which felt the same, regardless of the three POVs) and ultimately the resolution felt really anti-climactic to me.

I'm not sure how much of the style of this one was also applicable in CMBYN (which I loved), and to be honest, I'm kind of afraid to go back and look. I think I was inclined to forgive a lot in that one because of my hearteyes.
Gerhard
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-interest, 2020
I originally read Call Me By Your Name in 2013. When the movie was announced I was a bit skeptical, but was reassured that the director was Luca Guadagnino. If any book needed an auteur approach, it was this one.

When I eventually got to see it, I was pleased that James Ivorys elegant screenplay had whittled away a lot of the florid excesses of Acimans prose. Guadagnino masterfully used his Italian villa setting as a major character in the movie; one does not really appreciate its importance in
Rose Meadows
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The rating of this book is given only for the last ten pages of this book, the rest I wish I hadnt bothered with. I do like Acimans writing and I thoroughly enjoy the book center-Ing around time (lost or taken or wasted) its nice to read something that isnt so finite about death and life. The cyclical journey throughout the book and the connections between people is very endearing.

Im not sure if this makes sense to anyone other than myself, its late
Moi  Baltazar
"Some people may be brokenhearted not because theyve been hurt but because theyve never found someone who mattered enough to hurt them."
It took me almost 5 weeks to finish this book. It was kinda boring for me to be honest, but my tremendous love for Elio and Oliver pushed me to finish reading it even though I really didn't want to. 🙃
Pantelis Andreou
I just... I cant...

Disappointment is an understatement..

From the moment i heard there was going to be a sequel to my beloved first book i was hollering with excitement.. but after i read this.. i cannot cooperate with my sadness.. all i have to say is that the Elio & Oliver part is only a brief section here..
YA Buddy Readers'...: Find Me (Call Me By Your Name #2) by André Aciman - Starting April 8th 2020 7 8 Apr 08, 2020 03:00PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong page number 8 44 Nov 07, 2019 01:21PM

• Normal People
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • The Testaments
  • In the Dream House
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Weather
  • Girl
  • Real Life
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
André Aciman was born in Alexandria, Egypt and is an American memoirist, essayist, novelist, and scholar of seventeenth-century literature. He has also written many essays and reviews on Marcel Proust. His work has appeared in The New Yorker, The New York Review of Books, The New York Times, The Paris Review, The New Republic, Condé Nast Traveler as well as in many volumes of The Best American ...more

Call Me By Your Name (2 books)
  • Call Me By Your Name (Call Me By Your Name, #1)

Articles featuring this book

“It’s just that the magic of someone new never lasts long enough. We only want those we can’t have. It’s those we lost or who never knew we existed who leave their mark. The others barely echo.” 50 likes
“Some people may be brokenhearted not because they’ve been hurt but because they’ve never found someone who mattered enough to hurt them.” 30 likes