Start by marking “Made Things” as Want to Read:
Made Things

Made Things

(Made Things #1)

She was good at making friends.

Coppelia is a street thief, a trickster, a low-level con artist. But she has something other thieves don’t… tiny puppet-like friends: some made of wood, some of metal. They don’t entirely trust her, and she doesn’t entirely understand them, but their partnership mostly works.

After a surprising discovery shakes their world to the core,
Published November 5th 2019 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Made Things, please sign up.
Dom Mooney The story is self-contained - it's not the start of a trilogy. It could, however, easily have a sequel. "Precious Little Things" is also available,…moreThe story is self-contained - it's not the start of a trilogy. It could, however, easily have a sequel. "Precious Little Things" is also available, which is effectively a prequel, but there are no character cross-overs.(less)

Start your review of Made Things
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Full review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Adrian Tchaikovsky is an unusually versatile author. I never know what to expect from him — insect and shapeshifter fantasy, Iron Man-inspired science fiction, and Regency/Napoleonic historical fantasy are just a few examples — but I know it’s going to be imaginative and intelligently written. The last work I read by him, Walking to Aldebaran, was science fictional horror with an unusual literary streak. In a nearly 180 degree turn, Tchaikovsky now
Phrynne
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2020
This was a short, entertaining book featuring some very likeable, living puppets. Not keen on the cover though - my imagination drew much better looking ones in my head!

This author is one of my favourites and he has the most enormous range. I never know what to expect when I pick up one of his books although for me his sci fi are his masterpieces. Made Things was very imaginative. The characters were interesting as was the magic world they lived in.

I enjoyed it but it will not live on in my
K.J. Charles
A delightful fantasy novella set in a city of magic and thieves. Ophaned puppeteer Coppelia is trying to make a dishonest living and also to build bodies for a race of tiny magical homunculi who reproduce by imbuing made bodies (of wax, paper, metal, wood etc) with magic. Things go south in a suitably dramatic way.

Beautifully written, well plotted, great characters, and a masterpiece of world building in a small space. Hugely enjoyable.
Gabi
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great, well considered idea! And so darn cute!

I bumped this novel up my TBR list after I read the short story prequel "Precious Little Things" a few days ago in the Tor.com short fiction Fall edition and was hooked.

Tchaikovsky's homunculi are a bit like Toy Story for adults, with more thoughtfulness and inventive worldbuilding. As with all his works he again succeeds in creating three-dimensional absolutely likeable characters, giving them distinctive voices and seasoning his storytelling
Kaa
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Is there no limit to Adrian Tchaikovsky's creativity? This is my first fantasy work by him, but it does not disappoint. Beautifully written and wonderfully entertaining. I only wish there were more stories written in this fascinating world!
Lata
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Tchaikovsky is a versatile author. Whether he's writing about a far future, spiders, artificial intelligences, or any number of other things in his stories, I'm happy to check them out. This novella is a fantasy in a world with mages, homunculi and thieves.
The main character Coppelia is a thief and puppeteer, working for other, more successful criminals, and stealing little bits and bobs of magicked items to augment her slight magic so she can enhance her puppets. She has some help from
Dave
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Puppets Have Come to Town

Move over Pinocchio and Gepeto. There’s a new game in town. Yes, there’s a puppeteer, but she’s also a thief, an orphan, and the best friend the little people (the homunculus) ever had. The little people, you ask. Why yes, they are only six inches tall and are made of wood, metal, and paper and they’ve been brought to life by magic. This is a quieter fantasy about a city ruled mercilessly by great magi and those who would have influence battling and maneuvering for a
Cathy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
You know Pinocchio, right? This is not his story. Here the Made Things or rather the homunculi come across as a separate world of clans and types with their own society and ecosystem. They connect with the world of humans via the help of the Moppet, aka our main character Coppelia.

This is a fantasy heist story. Not my favourite trope, it‘s usually too formulaic for my taste. Which this is, to some extent.

The story didn‘t do a thing for me. I actually considered to DNF this, but it probably
Tammy
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A delightfully rough and dangerous story with magical, animated creatures who captured my heart.

“What’s the world coming to?” the big human said. “I remember when this was simple. And now there’s little doll people threatening me with a shave. Fuck me.”

This is my first Adrian Tchaikovsky book, but it certainly won’t be
Andrew
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full review at The Quill to Live: https://thequilltolive.com/2019/08/08...

I have a fear of dolls. Or maybe not a fear, so much as I find them intensely off putting. Their miniature faces are creepy, and any horror story that involves dolls coming to life and murdering people deeply upsets me. So, when the lovely people at Tor.com sent me Made Things, a novella by Adrian Tchaikovsky about a dollmaker who brings her creations to life, I had mixed feelings. On the one hand, Tchaikovsky is one of
S. Naomi Scott
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2019
It’s fair to say that Adrian Tchaikovsky is one of my favourite contemporary authors. I’ve only read a handful of his works to date but every one of them has been excellent in its own way and the more I read the more eager I become for his next book. Made Things is no exception.

It’s an absolutely delightful novella that follows the trials and tribulations of puppeteer Coppelia as she finds herself getting pulled into the machinations of the local thieves guild and their ongoing struggles against
Jonathan
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A writer strives to give their characters the spark of life, as does the puppeteer. It can’t be done. The cold, hard, truth is, it would require magic, and there’s no such thing as magic. And yet, if there’s one thing in this entire universe that a perfectly reasonable person might be forgiven for thinking of as magical, wouldn’t it be life?

That magical spark is at the heart of Adrian Tchaikovsky’s short novel “Made Things,” where petty thief and master puppet-maker/puppeteer Coppelia (AKA “
FanFiAddict
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 7.5/10

Thanks to the publisher and author for an advance reading copy of Made Things in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this ARC did not influence my thoughts or opinions on a novella.

Having read Tchaikovsky’s Children of Time last year, I just knew that I had to get some more of his books into my ever growing TBR. Made Things stood out simply based on the gorgeous cover by Red Nose Studio. It perfectly captures the look of the two (2) main homunculi, Tef and Arc, and gives you
Kateblue
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Not sure why I didn't like this more. I think it was that I needed more depth of character from Moppet. But I sure hope I get to read more about this world.
Geonn Cannon
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Dear heart, this is a city of magic, haven't you heard? Anything is possible."

I don't like the phrase "short book." That implies less-than in a way that's unfair. This book is small but perfectly formed, just like Coppelia's tiny accomplices. This book moves fast, it reveals its incredibly unique world at a brisk pace, and leaves you wanting more in the most satisfying way possible. Well worth the time you spend with it, and the length means you'll be able to reread it again and again.
RG
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable reading. Just didnt have the scope of his other works. These TOR novellas just dont have enough pages
Kend
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy book birthday, MADE THINGS!

I'll be the first to admit I have only skimmed the surface of Tchaikovsky's body of work, having read and purchased the sequel to CHILDREN OF TIME and having snagged a beautiful hard copy of IRONCLADS and having made a serious attempt at trying his Echoes of the Fall series (and being foiled, as I often am, as many others are, by the limitations of both the library network and pocketbook). There are, suffice it to say, many other books by Tchaikovsky I have yet
Tim Hicks
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
[thinks] Gosh, I like those steampunk/automaton books, and I like magic, and I really liked Pratchett's Wee Free Men. I wonder if I could squish them all into a novella?

Answer: yes.

Add the usual unfair, oppressive, corrupt society, and the obligatory Plucky Girl With Talent, but also add some quite engaging characters among the Good Guys, and a dash of dry humour.

Stir, roll out, and cut until it's no bigger than a novella should be.

The result is a tasty treat that makes a nice meal for one.

Claudia
3,0 stars. As always, I’ll start off by saying I only give 1-3 stars to novellas, mainly because of their length. While I might love everything about one, I still can’t help comparing it with a full length novel. That being said, I really enjoyed this one and continue to be surprised at how diversely Adrian Tchaikovsky can write. The fact that he narrated this one himself made the story even better for me. As for the plot, I won’t go into any details - go and pick it up and read it for yourself. ...more
Nina
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short book bursting with creative world-building. I wish I had read this as a kid.
Giovanna
I think I just expected this to be...more. It’s a nice novella, (as all of the tor novella I have read are, the quality is truly amazing) but it didn’t give me much of what I had hoped.
Thomas
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, e-book, 2019
As expected, Tchaikovsky's world-building and characterization skills are on point, but this novella lacked the punch that his other works have had. That's a shame, because any book about marionettes and magic should be awesome by default.
Devann
actual rating: 2.5

This should have been right up my alley but unfortunately I just couldn't get into it. I might have just not been in the right mood, but I felt like none of the characters really stood out and it made the book fall a little bit flat to me. Definitely a good concept but I wish the character had been as original as the setting.
Denise
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This author does it again- wonderfully realized world and great characters- totally different than his other stories. And fun too! The story stands on its own but I'd love more adventures it this universe.
LAPL Reads
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Coppelia is not quite a thief and not quite a con-artist. What she is, or could be if she were living a different life, is an artist. A builder who could create function and beauty from raw materials, but only in a different life. A life where her parents hadn’t been taken to a workhouse, leaving Coppelia to be sent to an orphanage. A life where she hadn’t fled that orphanage with only the clothes on her back, left to scrape out a living on the streets of the Barrio in Fountains Parish. But ...more
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Made Things is the latest novel from the mind of Adrian Tchaikovsky. It’s a dark yet whimsical world, full of magic, half-mages, and animated puppets. Yes, you read that last part correctly. And it makes for a delightful read.
Coppelia, aka Moppet, is a girl with many talents. She’s an okay thief, a decent liar, a solid con-artist, and an even better puppet maker. Orphaned at a young age, this half-mage has learned what she needed to in order to keep herself free and safe. Well, mostly safe.
Malcolm
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alt-worlds
Coppelia makes puppets, maintains herself with low level con jobs and petty larceny while her puppet shows distract audiences long enough for her small, animated accomplices to lift saleable items from the pockets of those audiences. Although exactly where the six inch high carved, cast and folded beings came from remains a mystery to her, she is also aware that her puppet-making skills, their attention to hands and faces and the magic flowing through and around their residences well on the ...more
CS Peterson
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
We marvel at technology, the magic of a made thing. The uncanny robot, the wind-up toy, the clever automaton—all are sources of endless fascination. We indulge the tricks of a puppet sideshow with a knowing smile, but a vague feeling of horror lingers beneath our certainty that it’s nothing more than sleight of hand. Adrian Tchaikovsky has taken this mix of emotions and given them a fine edge in Made Things, a rollicking novella with some dark twists that will keep you turning the pages late ...more
John Rennie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I've liked all of Tchaikovsky's recent books, so of course I was going to read this as soon as I could. And I liked it, though it isn't going to be for everybody. I use this review to explain what I mean and hopefully try and give you some idea of whether you will like it enough to make it worth buying.

I get the impression that Tchaikovsky writes what he enjoys writing, and damn the critics (quite right too!). So sometimes he writes deep and thoughtful books like Children of Time, and sometimes
Rebecca
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
Every time I read another book by Tchaikovsky, I scold myself for not having read more. Made things is about a group of secret colonists in a magical city, small doll-like creatures, who work to manufacture new settlers and who have befriended a young woman who exists on the bottom rung of a criminal cast. It's a story about golems, magic, and survival. Like many Tor.com novellas, it is remarkable how contained the story is, how satisfying within it's tiny little package, and like others, it's a ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Prosper's Demon
  • The Menace from Farside (Luna, #3.5)
  • And Shall Machines Surrender
  • City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)
  • The Lights Go Out in Lychford (Lychford, #4)
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • Riot Baby
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
  • Then Will the Sun Rise Alabaster
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • Ormeshadow
  • For He Can Creep
  • The Rosewater Redemption (The Wormwood Trilogy, #3)
ADRIAN TCHAIKOVSKY was born in Lincolnshire and studied zoology and psychology at Reading, before practising law in Leeds. He is a keen live role-player and occasional amateur actor and is trained in stage-fighting. His literary influences include Gene Wolfe, Mervyn Peake, China Miéville, Mary Gently, Steven Erikson, Naomi Novak, Scott Lynch and Alan Campbell.

Made Things (2 books)