Start by marking “We Are Water Protectors” as Want to Read:
We Are Water Protectors

We Are Water Protectors

Inspired by the many Indigenous-led movements across North America, We Are Water Protectors issues an urgent rallying cry to safeguard the Earth's water from harm and corruption--a bold and lyrical picture book written by Carole Lindstrom and vibrantly illustrated by Michaela Goade.

Water is the first medicine.
It affects and connects us all . . .

When a black snake threatens
Published March 17th 2020 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about We Are Water Protectors, please sign up.
Markie I enjoy reading it with my almost-3-year-old. It's a nice inroad to discussions of valuing the earth and especially standing up for precious sacred wa…moreI enjoy reading it with my almost-3-year-old. It's a nice inroad to discussions of valuing the earth and especially standing up for precious sacred water resources.(less)

Start your review of We Are Water Protectors
Calista
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids everywhere
Recommended to Calista by: Raven Black
This is one of those books that feels written for me. I love this story. The author wrote this after the incident at Standing Rock happened with the water and the oil pipe. She tells of the stories told to the people of the land. They are told to protect the water and one day a black serpent will come to poison the water and they must protect against this serpent. The serpent is oil pipes that crisscross our land and leak.

The story is about this girl and her village and the important of all the
Rod Brown
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Annual Goodreads Choice Awards reading project: Read all the Picture Book nominees! (12 of 20)

A call to activism in support of a good cause is beautifully illustrated in this book exploring the environmental and spiritual reasons behind the Dakota Access Pipeline protests by the Standing Rock Sioux and their supporters.
Moonkiszt
Featured in grandma reads session.

The author, Carole Lindstrom, is a citizen of the Turtle Mountain Band of Ojibwe, located in North Dakota. The illustrator, Michaela Goade, was raised in Southeast Alaska, home of the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian tribes. Both have a profound reverence for water. Their thoughtful words and stunning artwork show that it is the responsibility of humans to care for water, keep it clean and healthy, and to approach care for Earth in its entirety with the same diligen
Skip
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great book for the ecologically minded to share with their children. Written and illustrated by two indigenous women, this book is narrated by a Ojibwe girl recalling a life lesson from her grandmother: the supreme importance of water to all life forms. Humans come from water, from mothers’ wombs, and how water nurtures all throughout their living existence … people, animals, plants, etc. Evil takes the form of a black snake that will spoil the water and destroy the land, and is the representa ...more
Jessica Haider
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Led to a great conversation with my kids about Native Americans, the environment, and the protection of land/water.
Peacegal
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous and thought-provoking book about a young girl and her tribe, who vow to protect their homeland and heritage from a vast and destructive enemy--an oil pipeline. Through inspiring and strong words, kids are empowered to know they can stand for what is right, too.

Although I wasn't a huge fan of representing the pipeline as a "black snake"--snakes already have it pretty bad and the vast majority of species are harmless and beneficial, but perhaps this would make a good discussion
Dave Schaafsma
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books. We are the Water Protectors, written by Carole Lindstrom and illustrated by Michael Goade, bth of whom have indigenous roots, is book #20 (of 20) of 2020, whew, read after the contest ended, because of libraries being closed for weeks at a time. It’s one of the rare nominated books that deal with the environment and environmental justice, pertaining to our need to protect fresh water for now and the future (as it has not ...more
Jillian Heise
Michaela Goade is rapidly becoming a favorite illustrator of mine! This book is gorgeous, and so important for the representation and perspective that is shares. It's a beautiful book that should be in all elementary libraries! ...more
Bek MoonyReadsByStarlight
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible story with important discussion on tough subjects that are approached without sugar-coating, but also without being overwhelming for children. The extra information after the story takes this book to the next level for teaching and conversation with children on the topics in the story.
Kris
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal. The art, the message - both are simply incredible. The text is poetic, yet accessible, and the art is just stunning. This deserves all the stars. All of them. Twelve. Twelve stars. That seems fair and reasonable.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Amazing book, message, art, and goal. This book should win!
Ann
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book. I could go on a rant here about climate & environmental protections that have been rolled back in the last 4 years but if you’re reading this book, you’re probably already aware.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Water is threatened. A girl stands up with her people to drive back the danger.

A beautifully illustrated story of courage sharing the true story of the Standing Rock Sioux Trip who stood up to protect their land from a pipeline company.
Baby Bookworm
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is We Are Water Protectors, written by Carole Lindstrom and illustrated by Michaela Goade, a conservational call to action and celebration of Indigenous pride.

A young girl of Ojibwe descent recounts a lesson her grandmother imparted to her: “Water is the first medicine.” She points out that we come from water, from the earliest days in our mothers’ wombs; once born, the planet we all share nurtures us with water in the same way. Her people talk of a black snake tha
Abby Johnson
Oh Caldecott committeeeee..... Buy, buy, buy this gorgeous book. The artwork is absolutely stunning. Ojibwe author and Tlingit illustrator Lindstrom and Goade have created a magnificent book that celebrates the people standing against oil pipelines to protect the environment. A repeating chorus of "We stand / with our songs / and our drums. / We are still here." reminds readers that Native Nations still exist. Illustrations include Native people with light skin and hair. I'm for sure buying this ...more
Vicki
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations and word choices are absolutely gorgeous. This book would be incredible to prompt more inquiry for grades K-4 and could be revisited often for continued discussion and analysis.
Cara (Wilde Book Garden)
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stunning art and message. I will never cease to be amazed at the power a short book can have.

Older readers who have drifted away from picture books like I had, you are missing out! Trust me. We Are Water Protectors would make an excellent place to (re)start.

(And of course this would make a wonderful gift for young readers in your life as well!)
Holyn
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Beautiful illustrations! Lovely way to teach ecology, care of the earth, and activism while honoring indigenous people’s stories and experiences.
Kelly
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kelly-s-rwc-2020
Powerful message. Beautiful illustrations. Definitely a great book to share with your kids and take the opportunity to talk about environmental issues.
Erin Banham
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An important message with absolutely stunning illustrations.
Meg Sedillo
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Margie
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For some it starts at an early age. We are taught by our parents, grandparents or adult mentors, to nurture and care for Earth in her entirety. For me it was my father. We spent early morning and evening hours in summer on the lakes and rivers fishing. He taught me to watch the weather, the time of day and how fish might think. We walked for miles in the woods in autumn during bow hunting season. To and from our spot, he was always whispering to me about the various trees and plants and how to l ...more
Tasha
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Two indigenous book creators have created a picture book that celebrates the North American indigenous battles to protect our water. Water is the the first medicine; it is where we all come from and nourishes us in the womb and on earth. There is talk of a black snake that will spoil the water, poisoning it. The black snake had been foretold for many years, and now it is here. Courage is the answer to it and the willingness to stand up and insist that water be protected. Nature cannot speak for ...more
Becca
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A vitally important and inspiring message delivered with absolutely beautiful illustrations!
Gabrielle Carolina
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredible, just incredible.
Juli Anna
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A bold, symphonic treat.
DaNae
Powerful and hopeful. A great avenue to introduce both stewardship over the land and a time to protest.
Lynn
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiring and beautiful call to action. A young indigenous girl relates the tale told to her by her grandmother. "We come from water." She tells also of the tale of the black snake that will destroy the land. There is poetry in the lines here, reflecting the rhythms of the river and of traditional storytelling. There is a power in this text in the urgent call to all of us to stand up for the earth and guard the waters that flow through all of us.

Michaela Goade's flowing illustrations
Adele
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it
This is one of those picture books where the point is mainly in the dense text afterword and not in the story itself. However, because I went in already familiar with Standing Rock, and because the illustrations are flat-out gorgeous, and probably because as a liberal, an environmentalist, and a decent human being I am sympathetic to the cause, and as a Unitarian Universalist and Religious Naturalist the philosophy resonates with me, I am inclined to be forgiving in this case.
Shari
Dec 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Lovely illustrations, powerful message, but I'm guessing it would be a challenge for children to understand. The imagery is going to be lost on them. The poetic language might not hold their attention. ...more

• I Am Every Good Thing
  • Magnificent Homespun Brown: A Celebration
  • Swashby and the Sea
  • Evelyn del Rey Is Moving Away
  • Honeybee: The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera
  • Julián at the Wedding (Julián, #2)
  • I Talk Like a River