Start by marking “Late to the Party” as Want to Read:
Late to the Party

Late to the Party

Seventeen is nothing like Codi Teller imagined.

She’s never crashed a party, never stayed out too late. She’s never even been kissed. And it’s not just because she’s gay. It’s because she and her two best friends, Maritza and JaKory, spend more time in her basement watching Netflix than engaging with the outside world.

So when Maritza and JaKory suggest crashing a party, Cod
Published April 21st 2020 by Roaring Brook Press

Start your review of Late to the Party
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
the mlm/wlw solidarity we need & deserve ...more
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
When I picked up this book, I was not expecting it to make me ache for things I've never done, friends I've never had, and a teenagerhood I never got. Late to the Party is a great queer coming-of-age about self-discovery and friendship and experiencing all the firsts of life.

I could relate SO MUCH to Codi, and I found her such a wonderful narrator. She's a typical wallflower—shy and nervous to talk to people, and it was so wonderful to see her open up. I saw so much of myself in her. I have f ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I have... complicated thoughts on this one. I wanted to love this *so* bad, but something about the writing style kept me from connecting fully to the characters. It's especially frustrating because I can't even put my finger on exactly what didn't work for me. All I know is that it didn't and I am big sad :( I definitely don't think this was a bad book, but it just wasn't quite a me book.
C.G. Drews
I finished this a few days ago and still feel like I'm gathering my thoughts from the ether. There was so so much I loved about this book. It is definitely a Quiet YA, a thoughtful book that takes huge concepts and packs them onto paper. It deals with the very specific concepts of (a) outgrowing your friends, not for any fault on anyone's part, and (b) realising you present yourself differently to different people and sometimes you can get trapped in a version of you who isn't true.

I do think t
Acqua
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: db, loved-it, yff, contemporary, audio, qf, q
Late to the Party is a contemporary novel about what happens when the narrative about yourself you built in your own head starts hindering your potential. It is about the differences between yourself, your perception of yourself, and others' perception of you, and how one can find spaces for exploration in those gaps as well as places to get stuck in.

On the surface, it's a very typical coming-of-age story about Codi, a white American teenage lesbian living in Atlanta, who has always been "the qu
ila ✨
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
[actual rating: 5 stars] Kelly Quindlen has done it again. it's really difficult for me to put into words how much this book – both her books, really, because her debut novel, Her Name in the Sky, is one of my favourite books of all time – means to me, and so i've been trying to write this review for two-three weeks and trying to come to terms with the fact that my words won't be able to do it any justice. Late to the Party is very different from her debut – for those who are not familiar with i ...more
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this so so much!
Anna Banana
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, lgbt-reads
This is a great book and I love Kelly Quindlen's writing but I needed more from that ending. Also I felt very frustrated with how bad of a friend Codi was to her best friends and again, I needed the story to be better wrapped up. Legit thought (and still do) that someone ripped out a chapter from the back of my book. It's so open-ended, so many things aren't answered and I don't even necessarily feel like I got a resolution for some plot stuff. And I have a feeling that was an artistic choice ab ...more
Dahlia
I loved this a lot, and blurbed it!

"A deeply heartfelt and emotionally honest celebration of late bloomers, queer solidarity, and friendships both old and new. This book has a permanent place in my heart." ―Dahlia Adler, author of Under the Lights

Seriously, its handling of friendship and late bloomer-dom and especially in connection with coming out is done so, so well, and the romance is afreakingdorable and it's just. So good. SO GOOD.
maya
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
this is CRIMINALLY underrated and i have no idea why.

i don't even know how to put into words what i felt while reading this, but codi's story hit really close to home. even when i didn't have the exact same experiences or feelings she did, i still got it.

it's rare to find a book that portrays what it's like to be a teenager accurately but this truly hit the nail on the head (i'm ignoring the slightly outdated GIF, tumblr and doctor who stuff) all the struggles, one of them being a queer teenager
-ˏˋclaraˊˎ-
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a cute story! I really liked Codi's character. She did seem a little bit too worried on superficial stuff at the beginning, but she ended up getting her head around it all and I was able to see her growth and feel happy for her. Her whole "being a teenager" exploration was super relatable at times and I had fun reading about her and her new friends, although I didn't like her not talking to her actual best friends about that new part of her life which was so important.
I also loved the roma
Iris
Jul 07, 2020 marked it as dnf
I was so excited for this book but it was honestly so boring and I couldn't be fucked with finishing it
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
author redemption!!! (her name in the sky is one of my least favourite books ever, but i loved this). i'm too exhausted to write a review now but: i would've given this 5 stars if there weren't constant, cringe popular culture/fandom/gen z references. it almost felt like it was written for me since it was so eerily similar to my own experiences and feelings in high school. ANYWAY, proper review to come soon!

rep: lesbian mc, wlw li, gay side character (with a mlm li), bisexual Panamanian side cha
rae ✌️
3.5 stars.

this book basically just crashed though my door and went HEY REMEMBER ALL OF THAT INSECURITY YOU HAD IN HIGH SCHOOL? HOW ABOUT I BRING IT BACK. rude.

full rtc!
✨Brithanie Faith✨
3.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐.5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When I decided to pick up Late To The Party earlier this month I had no idea that I was going to find a part of myself on page, but that's exactly what happened. This brought back a lot of the old feelings that I had throughout high school. The feelings of wanting to fit in while remaining true to oneself- and discovering who you want to be and what's important to you.

I think a lot of people are going to relate to
Nev
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, lgbtqiap
3.5 - There are a lot of funny, cute, and heartwarming moments in this book about Codi learning to become her own person away from her best friends… and maybe find a girlfriend so she can have her first kiss. This is a book full of classic YA summer shenanigans and for the most part it’s a lot of fun.

I did have some trouble keeping up with how much time was passing in the story. Things would either seem too rushed or extremely drawn out. I connected with Codi a lot, but a lot of the people in h
Amy (libraryofamy)
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"You grow up with these ideas about Teenagers, about their wild, vibrant, dramatic lives of breaking rules and making out and Being Alive, and you know that it’s your destiny to become one of them someday, but suddenly you’re seventeen ... and you realize you still haven’t become a real Teenager, and maybe you never will."

I really, really, really wish this book existed when I was in high school. But even at the age of 23, Late to the Party has stolen my heart and become one of my favorite YA
Solly
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Objectively, this should probably be a 4/4.5 stars. HOWEVER, it made me smile so much and feel so much queer friendship feels that, subjectively, I have to give it all 5 stars.

I love love love the focus on queer friendship in this story, how all Codi's close friends are queer, and how that's not a huge deal, but it still addresses that it's not always easy to come to term with your sexuality as a teen. For some reason, I also adored that Codi and Lydia's romantic arc was pretty simple, but Codi
Meryl Wilsner
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am completely obsessed with this book and will not stop yelling about it. It's quiet, but the stakes feel like the world's ending, because what doesn't when you're a teenager? I love these messy imperfect queer teens
Jaye Berry
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this and totally forgot to review it BUT I enjoyed this book so much and it's the f/f fluffy book that we've all been waiting for. :)

Late to the Party is about a shy wallflower girl named Codi. Her and her two best friends Maritza and JaKory are all queer, and are tired of not going to parties and doing the same things every weekend. So when they have the crazy idea to crash a party, Codi isn't into it. But when Codi gets dragged into picking them up from the party, she accidentally sees
halfirishgrin
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was super excited for this book but honestly, I couldn't have anticipated just how much I would enjoy this! This is a wonderful coming-of-age story that really focuses on all the nuances and complications of friendships. It has a wonderfully sweet sapphic romance, and everything about it - from the way it develops and the obstacles in it - is just so perfect.

I loved the main character, and I could definitely relate to her. She has always been the type of person who has a comfort zone and is ha
Sónia
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Late to the Party follows a Codi, a shy teenager who has never really been a party girl but who longs for some excitement in her life.

I really liked Codi and felt that her best friends were very toxic at times and kept putting her down to feel better about themselves, especially Maritza.
Ricky was also a bit rude and I don’t think him being scared being see as Ricky the gay dude should be used as an excuse for how he treated Codi when she’s a friend and had proved before that she’d alway keep h
Cassidy Newman
You grow up with these ideas about Teenagers, about their wild, vibrant, dramatic lives of breaking rules and making out and Being Alive, and you know that it’s your destiny to become one of them someday, but suddenly you’re seventeen and you’re watching people cannonball into a swimming pool in the pouring rain, and you realize you still haven’t become a real Teenager, and maybe you never will.

What is a real teenager? Is it sneaking out of your house at 2 in the morning to meet up with friends?
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
A wonderfully warm and heartfelt YA about growing beyond the person your friends from kindergarten know you to be, first queer kisses, and queer solidarity friendship. Codi and her BFFs JaKory and Maritza (lesbian, gay, and bi respectively) are homebodies who stay at home and watch Netflix. When they force themselces to go to a big party to make something happen in their lives, Codi ends up forming a secret friendship with a closeted popukar jock, Ricky, after she accidentally sees him making ou ...more
bri ♡
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
hmm I wish I had liked this more, I really did. I loved kelly quindlens other book, Her Name in the Sky, and while I had no doubt that I would like this one, it just didn't really do it for me the way the other book did, especially because of the main character. Is this book less painful than her name in the sky? definitely. will majority probably enjoy this more? sure. but for me personally this affected me in a way I did not enjoy. while codi was a perfect representation of a teenager, because ...more
Anniek
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, this took me back. It really transported me back to how painfully uncomfortable it was to be a teenager, and how messy teenage friendships can be, and I almost felt like this book described my life at that age 1:1.

It was such an intensely relatable experience to grow with and without your friends and to not know who your people are and where you belong, and who you even are in the first place.

I loved how much this focused on friendship over romance, even though I did love the romance as wel
Jane (whatjanereads)
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4,5-5 stars

I loved this!!!
It simply happens to be that I love books that don’t have a grand plot or major plot twists, but simply focus on friendship and groups of friend that are trying to figure themselves out.
For me the main theme of this book was exactly that.

It’s about growing with and/or (maybe) outgrowing your friends, finding new friends, developing and finding new things that you like. It’s about growing up and finding yourself and getting to know yourself better.

What I
Ris Sasaki
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4,5 🌟

This was chef's kiss amazing.

Not wanting to throw shade in other books, but this was You Should See Me in a Crown was supposed to feel like.
All of those queer romances and the growth that all the characters went through was absolutely a delight to see.
Finally a YA book that portraits teenagers and their lives the way is supposed to be!
Gabrielle
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GAY. GAY. GAY. This book is 100% certified GAY.

Codi’s and Ricky’s blooming friendship is so wholesome and beautiful! When he tells her “I’ll take care of you,” I almost started crying. With Ricky by her side, Codi starts to break out of her shell and discovers that you can have multiple versions of yourself. She also learns how to shot gun a beer and meet new people. It was amazing to watch her grow and navigate these new feelings. Her friendship with Ricky is contrasted by her friendship with

• The Falling in Love Montage
  • I Kissed Alice
  • Stay Gold
  • The Summer of Impossibilities
  • What You Wish For
  • Only When It's Us (Bergman Brothers, #1)
  • Music from Another World
  • Girl Crushed
  • Marriage of Unconvenience
  • The Gay Girl's Guide to Ruining Prom
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Verona Comics
Kelly wrote her first story, a gripping tale about the Easter Bunny, when she was six years old. Her traditional debut, Late to the Party, releases April 21, 2020, from Macmillan/Roaring Brook Press. She is also the author of the self-published novel Her Name in the Sky, which was featured on BuzzFeed, Bustle, and AfterEllen.

Kelly graduated from Vanderbilt University with a degree in English Lite

Articles featuring this book

If you like books about queer kids falling in love and having adventures, you're in for quite the treat this month. June brings a great...
“my youth is infinite but my fears are intimate” 0 likes