Start by marking “Darkwood (The Darkwood Series)” as Want to Read:
Darkwood (The Darkwood Series)

Darkwood (The Darkwood Series)

You mustn't go into the Darkwood, children. Not even to get your ball. Leave it. That ball belongs to the Witches and the Beasties, now. Those wicked Witches. Stealing your ball. Magic is forbidden in Myrsina, along with various other abominations, such as girls doing maths. This is bad news for Gretel Mudd, who doesn't perform magic, but does know a lot of maths. When her ...more
Expected publication: June 13th 2019 by Farrago

To ask other readers questions about Darkwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkwood

Soup
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent and humorous riff on common fairy tale lore. Gretel and her brother Hansel live with their stepmother and stepfather (yes, both are "step," no-one knows why) at the edge of cursed forest (it's dangerous, but the housing prices cannot be beat!) and within the confines of a kingdom under the sway of the Huntsmen who outlaw nearly everything they find personally offensive like witches, magic, and girls knowing math. Gretel can't quite contain her cleverness however and she soon ...more
aphrodite
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**this was sent to me by the publishers through netgalley, all thoughts are my own**

omfg guys this was amazing.

this is a middle grade fairytale retelling of hansel & gretal, snow white, and others as witches who have been banished by the power-hungry huntsmen and it was everything I could ever ask for.

this gives me ALL the monty python and shrek vibes and it SO DAMN GOOD.

the humor, the characters, the story, the MESSAGE of corruption and perceptions of truth was breathtaking. ((also I tot
Bojana
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I must wonder why people (better say adults) are skeptical about middle grade books. I read a lot of middle grade books and enjoyed them. If book is written properly there should not be this sort of classification. Also, since this story is some kind of satire (it explores themes of authoritarianism and intolerance), I'm not even sure that it should be placed into the group of middle grade books.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. As I am a huge fan of fairy tales and at the same time very ske
Aly
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, middle-grade
I don't read middle grade books very often, but this one was actually quite a fun read. I did have some issues which I'll get into in a bit. I'm mostly rating this more as overall enjoyment and not so much the actual plot, as it's a bit weird to describe.

Darkwood is a place that no mortal should enter due to monsters and witches. Living in her village with her brother Hansel and stepparents, they learn literacy and defend the village folk from any monsters that emerge from the Darkwood. Witchcra
Heather
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
**I received a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

Magic is forbidden in the land of Myrsina, along with other abominations such as girls doing math and science. This doesn't bode well for Gretel Mudd, who isn't technically a witch, but does do a lot of math. When her inventions catch the attention of the sinister Huntsmen who want to try her for witchcraft, she has no choice but to flee her town into the Darkwood, the terrifying forest where all sorts of evil and beasties live.
Mikaela
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs
A copy has been provided to me by Farrago through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I started this one evening over my cup of tea, and then stayed up until well past my bedtime to finish it, and now to write this review. I’d also like to point out that I’m totally counting this for my adaptation quest for the Magical Read-a-Thon OWLS - since this was definitely an adaptation (view spoiler)
Alexa
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, as always, a big thank you to Netgalley and Farrago for allowing me to be the first to read this delightful book before it hits the shelves in mid June of this year.

The first in the Darkwood series, the story follows Hansel and Gretel in a village where witchcraft and maths are forbidden and a misunderstanding forces Gretel to flee into the feared Darkwood. There she meets a gang of colorful characters and together, they’ll save her village from those who foster fear and resentment to
Janet
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A fun, exciting, action-packed story that once I started reading I couldn't put down. Full of fairytale creatures but with a twist. The story is about oppression and persecution of those who are different and don't confirm to "nature's law". With very engaging characters and plenty of clever plot twists, you can't help but love it. The humour works well and is reminiscent of the Discworld series. This is the first book in a new series and I'm very much looking forward to reading the next in the ...more
Guinevere
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019, fantasy, series
I got an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Review incoming next to publication, but I'll say that I have loved this book. Take Stardust by Neil Gaiman, mix it with Shrek and then you have it. You have this book.
Features: a spider in disguise, a witch that turns everything into baked goods, a young girl who is the best inventor around and three dwarves in armour. You seriously want to check this out.
Carolynn (All the Books and Chocolate)
This book was adorable! The characters were very enjoyable, and I really liked the story. Gretel was the character I liked the most. Perhaps it was not meant this way but I took it as a bit of a comment on society that a smart girl who was good at inventing things must, of course, be a witch. I loved that the characters worked together and also how accepting the village people were.

This book is great for middle grade readers, and I would certainly recommend it
Holly
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely fabulous, can’t wait for the rest of the series. A strong contender for Book of the Month

TL;DR – A funny, clever and wonderful fairytale re-telling.

Ragdoll Rating: 5/5 Buttons

Recommended For: Fans of fairytales, fantasy and female characters who kick butt!

About the Book…

Darkwood is a sort of fairytale retelling and variety pack. The lead character is Gretel, of Hansel and Gretel fame, driven out of her home by villainous Huntsmen who (wrongly) accuse her of being a witch! Gretel finds
Mei-Ling
Apr 20, 2019
Annarella
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett and couldn't help loving this book.
I loved the mix of humour and fantasy, the tongue in cheek style of writing and the quirky characters.
I read as fast as I could and laughed out loud more than one.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Megan Forrest
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first page, I knew that this would be a book to devour. I really love fairy tale adaptations, and while those who love to categorize books into an age group will put this in middle school range, I would encourage everyone of every age to go ahead and read Darkwood. It is clever and funny and so very very entertaining. I love the creation of the characters, the dialogue is funny and natural. Darkwood truly is a joy to read.

Be aware, this is the first book in a series, so please do not b
Kat
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#Darkwood #NetGalley
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the E-arc copy of Darkwood.
What a fun and quirky fantasy novel for middle grade! I loved it. I think that this is a book that will appeal to all ages of people. The fantasy is unique and imaginative. Who doesn't love witches, beasties, and a little magic!
Holly
May 04, 2019
Vigasia
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

This book felt like a one of Tiffany Aching books, maybe with a little worse prose, but Terry Pratchett is Terry Pratchett. There was a lot of humor and witty dialogues and not a page was boring. I really liked the story about characters we know so well from fairytales. They were desrcipted in unique and interesting way and the whole novel was pretty fun to read.

I didn't know it;s a middle grade book, but I liked description en
Ruth
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darkwood is a re-telling of well-known fairytales, with a twist. Gretel and her twin brother Hansel live in Nearby Village, in a land where the Huntsmen rule, magic is forbidden and deviation from the plot is heartily discouraged - including the horror of being clever. Darkwood looms over the village, occasionally threatening creatures like Ogres escape and are beaten back by the villagers, using Gretel's inventions. Her crime of being clever leads to her having to flee the village after Huntsme ...more
Moondust Moth
Apr 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: rtc, arc
eARC provided by Farrago via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. RTC!
Schizanthus