Start by marking “The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, #3)

The Serpent's Shadow

(The Kane Chronicles #3)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  113,010 ratings  ·  5,123 reviews
He's b-a-a-ack! Despite their best efforts, Carter and Sadie Kane can't seem to keep Apophis, the chaos snake, down. Now Apophis is threatening to plunge the world into eternal darkness, and the Kanes are faced with the impossible task of having to destroy him once and for all. Unfortunately, the magicians of the House of Life are on the brink of civil war, the gods are ...more
Published 2018 by Puffin (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Serpent's Shadow, please sign up.
Tanae I believe Rick Riordan is making a third book and its going to be something about how Percy, Annabeth, and Grover meet Sadie and Carter. I think this…more I believe Rick Riordan is making a third book and its going to be something about how Percy, Annabeth, and Grover meet Sadie and Carter. I think this will be an amazing book, so just wait on it. (less)

·  113,010 ratings  ·  5,123 reviews

Start your review of The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
Jayson
(B) 75% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: Perfunctory, like playing video games with cheat codes. Characters are empty shells of quirky garb and stock clichés.
Ellie
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*edit, a few years later* Please excuse the unrestrained, hysterical ranting below. It was late and I was twelve.

--------

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE ONLY A TRILOGY?!?!?!?!? DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN!!!!!!!!!!! 5 OR AT LEAST 4 BOOKS PLEEEAAAAAAAAAZEEEEEE RICK RIORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!! S&A S&A S&AS&AS&AS&AS&AS&AS&A ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!!!!! "The Kane Chronicles is currently set to be a trilogy, making this the final
Ninzy Flores
can't believe this is the last !
*puts an Imperius curse on Riordan*
*Imperio! don't end the Kane Chronicles series!*

--> hahaha =) well that sounded really lame .
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3), Rick Riordan
The Serpent's Shadow is a 2012 fantasy adventure novel based on Egyptian mythology written by American author Rick Riordan. It is the third and final novel in The Kane Chronicles series. This book begins six months after the events of the preceding novel, when Carter Kane and Sadie Kane travel to the 51st nome, Dallas, with their initiates and meet J.D. Grissom, the leader of the nome. They tell him that they need a magic scroll from the
Ro
As much as this pained mewhich was a a lot, since Im a big fan of Rick RiordanI rated The Serpent's Shadow with a very HIGH 3.5 stars. :(

Why? What went wrong?

Allow me to start off with an obvious fact about my regards to The Kane Chronicles in general: Like many other people, I preferred the Percy Jackson and the Olympians over The Kane Chronicles. With that said, I also have to admit I consist of more knowledge on Greek mythology than Egyptian mythology. However, I loved studying both types
♠ TABI ♠
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ok, now I have to wait for this too!?! Still waiting till the The Son of Neptune comes out!
Well, not that too many months away I guess. I wonder if there will be anymore hints about the Manhattan side of the river.....
My brother thinks it would be pretty cool if the Kanes met Percy....

WOW!!!! Just saw the COVER!!!! BEST. ONE. YET. CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME!!!!! Rick Riordan has done it again. Really wraps up this trilgoy...with hints to a possible follow-up.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
An amazing finale to a series I've come to love. Although I will miss Sadie and Carter so bad, I know they belong to characters I certainly will not forget. I wouldn't mind reading the series all over again to be reminded. :)
Daelyn Bentley-Gottel
AMAZING!!!!! as usual. Not as much split-your-side humor in this one, but the chapter titles are still hilarious and there are some awesome one-liners in here. Oh, and don't even forget the Sadie-Walt-Anubis triangle. Can you say PLOT TWIST? Definitely didn't see that coming, but I loved it. There are several twists that will make you devour the book, and it's totally worth it.5 stars, no doubt.
Helen 2.0
More like 2.5 stars. Good, but not great. I was underwhelmed by the ending and thus don't really have much to say.

I will comment on the final relationship between Sadie, Walt, and Anubis. Sadie being torn between the two was a pretty big conflict since the last book, but her just taking BOTH felt like no resolution at all. Does it count as polyandry if Walt/Anubis are more like 1.5 people than 2 people?
Nels Paulson
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one and only issue with the book is that we know from the very beginning that we win. It basically starts saying sorry, but at least we stopped doomsday. Even that, because of the tone of the books, really isn't that big of a deal. The series is fun and entertaining. It is chalked with brother sister relationship fun.

And best of all they hint at the End that there are other gods out there that they might encounter. As in the series, they already hinted that this is the same exact world Percy
Ryan Buckby
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
actual rating: 4.5/5 stars

For what its worth: trust your feelings. I cant promise that youll never get hurt again, but I can promise you the risk is worth it.

Well its safe to say that i'm really satisfied with how this trilogy ended and that all the loose ends were all tied up and that this story is finally finished for me.

Plot: This last book starts off with a bang *literally* Sadie and Carter get themselves into a spot of trouble when trying to get one of the missing pages which results
Bogdan Teodorescu
Soo, I'm really glad to say that this was the best book of the series :)). It really impressed me. I wasn't expecting at very much since the first two book weren't at that "Rick level". But this was veery good. And... like I said it before, Walt Stone is officially my favorite character :).

After all, the book was a good read and the plot was really nice. I never expected (view spoiler) to come back!! Never! But it was cool. It was pretty predictable that Walt was going to
hayden
Jun 10, 2011 marked it as to-not-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad he's making this a trilogy and he's not going to continue the series for ages and ages and never end it. If that was the case, you can kiss THE THRONE OF FIRE off my reading list.
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
EDIT: 01/13/13 Just saw how wrong some of my grammar were in this review and how I did not properly explained why I only gave this book 2 stars. So, I guess I shall rewrite it. Anyway, as of now, I shall warn you about this review I wrote. 1st: It is angsty. 2nd: there are a lot of wrong grammars. 3rd: I failed to explain my side logically. 4th: I think I misunderstood the ending (but that still didn't change my perspective to this whole trilogy). 5th: If you LOVE the ending of this book, I ...more
Vampress Bathory
I loved it, obviously, but of course there isn't a book written by Rick Riordan that I don end up loving so there's that.
I like mythology in general, but there is something about Ancient Egypt that makes my nerdy heart go boom boom boom chica boom so I feel like The Kane Chronicles was written epecially for me. Ha! I wish! I loved all the characters be them good or evil. Yes, I admit that I find Set really funny :)). Besides Carter and Sadie I also adored Zia, Ra, Bast and Bes and omg be still
 ➹ƓℛἎℂℰ⚡(on hiatus)
Nerve wreaking and full of adrenaline rush. This one is my favourite from the Kane Chronicles Series. Love triangles are one of my pet peeves but I liked it in this one. At some point the book became quite predictable though. Walt hosting Anubis, I saw that one coming already. There was no character development in the series . It is a good treat for Rick Riordan fans.
Booknut
The third (and hopefully not final) instalment in the series, The Serpent's Shadow brings to light the upcoming apocalypse. Except, it isn't upcoming. It's here. The showdown we've all been waiting for - Apophis vs Ra, The Way of the Gods vs the House of Life, Good vs Evil and Protein Bars vs Macho Nachos. But, as usual, nothing goes to plan.

The Kanes face a dilemma. Apophis, using the power of Chaos, is slowly destroying the artefacts that could lead to his destruction. When the Book of
Savi3
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um well frigging amazing!! Any fans of rick? Well have you read the lost hero and remember the awesome aphrodite kids that helped piper and then there was drew well... Just like the first line on the back of the book THEY ARE BACK!!!! And apperently Sadie is all buddy buddy with Lucy and hates drew... Just one more reason I wish Sadie Kane was real so I could hug her! And OMG!!!! Zia and Carter!!! Now we need a awesome name like percabeth(Percy Annabeth) or Jipper( Jason piper) or even Peo(piper ...more
Raoofa Ibrahim
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth
Actual rating: 4.5

FINALLY I've finished this book.. Almost 3 months! Not because it's boring or something but because of a reading slump! Horrible thing :/
Brigid ✩
Jan 12, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
OH BOY. The third Kane Chronicles book! (And the last one too, I think ... AAAAH.) Pretty cover. It has a giant phallus in the background. I mean, the Washington Monument.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review has also been cross-posted on my Happy Indulgence Blog, check it out for more reviews!

Carter and Sadie Kane are descendents of the House of Life, an Egyptian temple of magic. In The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire, the Kanes learnt to command their unique abilities and revived the sun god Ra, a worthy opponent to the god of chaos, Apophis. In the third and final installment of this electrifying trilogy, Apophis is hell bent on bringing forth the end of days, and the Kanes have a
Mith

Well that was a fun ride! Having started off sluggishly, the (supposed) trilogy didn't exactly end with a bang, but there were quite some fireworks in there nonetheless.

I say "supposed" because the very last paragraph in the book hints at a Heroes Of Olympus/Kane Chronicles crossover (I have a feeling we're going to run into Setne and the Book of Thoth pretty soon - say, September 2012?)! That should be interesting :)
Peggy
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a bit predictable but it was good, rapped up everything neatly!!!
Negar
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
1- This five star rating I gave this book, is not the same 5-star that I gave The Lord of Rings or Blindness or many other books. So this doesn't necessarily mean that this book can be compared to them. It's just means that the book was as good as I expected it to be.

2- I - MOSTLY - like the romances and the relationships in Riordan's books. They're cute and not much unbearable. Stories of Sadie with Anubis/Walt and Carter with Zia was good and understandable, even when (view spoiler)
Ioana
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon!
Namratha
APOPHIS : the mighty red snake/ the Lord of Chaos/ the swallower of the Sun/ the architect of doomsday/ the initiator of the Apocalypse/ the writhing, fuming, hissing gargantuan reptile that makes dear olNagini look like an earthworm that wriggled out on a rainy day....yep, olApophis has risen.

And the only people who have a fighting chance against him are the young brother-sister duo of Carter and Sadie Kane. The twosome are strong Egyptian magicians, who follow the paths of Horus and Isis
Mitch
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome ending to the series. By now Rick Riordan has a certain formula for these books which is quite noticeable, but I have to say this one's his best so far. And is it just me, or has The Kane Chronicles really grown up since the first book? The kiddie humor's still here, I was actually laughing more than usual, but there's a not really mature but older feel to this book that I really didn't get from the previous installments. Excellent all around.

Like in every single damn book since
Crispitina30
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weak
I wish I wasnt writing this.

How should I start?

WHAT

A

BIG

DISSAPOINTMENT.

I really wanted to like this book. I really wanted, I promise. I started to read it with a lot of enthusiasm, because I loved the two other books, specially the second. I gave 4.5 to The Throne of Fire because it was amazing, it made me love, suffer and cry (that other review is only written in spanish, Im sorry for the inconvenience). But this one the more I was reading, the more discouraged I felt. My interest went down,
Madeleine - Tei
I really want this now... unfortunately the wait will be looong, we don't even know when it will come out. Ayah, for now we must wait, and read other books, preferably other Rick Riordan books and perhaps some of Brandon Mull and Henry Neff.

Erm. Not really worth the wait. While I waited I started reading more classics, some fantasy, some biographies. Now this feels like junk. For some reason I've started to look at the mechanical parts of books as well as fan service.

Mechanically, this book
K.
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read this with the kids. I still love Carter & Sadie, the plot was well done, interesting and fun, writing funny, etc. Sometimes it had me in stitches (and I loved hearing my 10yo giggle her head off reading it). Riordan creates the funniest chapter headings since I don't know who.

However, I still DON'T love the very early teen romance. Riordan seemed to do better with Carter & Zia in this one, it was light and puppy-ish and more about friendship. Sadie and her two lovers were a
Anubis and Walt *Spoiler Alert* 67 335 Mar 09, 2019 02:41PM
Zach Martin 1 1 Apr 07, 2017 09:01AM
Teen/YA Book Club: The Serpent's Shadow (March 1st-31st) 4 3 Mar 10, 2017 05:09PM
Walt and Anubis (SPOILERS) 18 122 Oct 26, 2016 08:28PM

• The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Sea of Monsters: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Serpent's Shadow: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
  • The Throne of Fire: The Graphic Novel  (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Rick Riordan
  • The Titan's Curse: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • The Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)
  • Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)
  • The Trials of Apollo, Book 1: The Hidden Oracle
  • Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods (English)(Paperback)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • The Lost Hero: The Graphic Novel  (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2)
  • Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
  • The Curse of Hera (Camp Hercules #1)
  • Camp Half-Blood - The Heroes of Olympus: Wikipedia Articles
  • The Son of Neptune: The Graphic Novel (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #2)

The Kane Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, #1)
  • The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, #2)