Start by marking “Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy” as Want to Read:
Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy

Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy

(Ascender #1)

Powerhouse creative team Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen launch an all new series in Ascender! Set 10 years after the conclusion of Descender's storyline, here magic has taken the place of machinery and the rules are very different indeed... Mila, the daughter of Andy and Effie from Descender, spends her days exploring the lonely wilds of the planet Sampson and trying to sta ...more
Published October 29th 2019 by Image Comics (first published October 23rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Ascender, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ascender, Vol. 1

Start your review of Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
That effing ending 😫. The hell! I need the next one already!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
David Schaafsma
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Back in the Descender world by popular demand, this Star Wars tribute space opera/magic mash-up story takes place 10 years after the Harvester/UGC galactic war. Andy and his daughter, Mila, are visited by an old friend, Bandit, an (illegal) robot dog we recall from Descender. But they face Mother and her sweet little anti-technological family.

You know all about Mother Earth and peace, love, motherhood and apple pie? Well, forget all you thought you knew about all that. Mother is a particularly
Chad
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This took me a while to get into but once it got rolling I really got into it. The first couple of issues are mostly about establishing the new status quo. Magic now rules the galaxy. A powerful witch, "Mother", leads with an iron fist, stamping out technology throughout the remnants of the UGC. Andy and his daughter, Mila, are visited by an old friend and that's where the story starts to steam roll into the same deliciousness we had in Descender and books like Saga where half the galaxy are chasing after ou ...more
Valéria.
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I must admit I liked the first volume of Descender more than this, but I somehow feel the whole story is going to be much, much better. The places are familiar but different, flashbacks are very helpful to piece together the gap between Descender/Ascender. I can't wait where this all is going..
Adam M
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Woooooooo, Lemire and Nguyen are back baby! Descender did this great thing, much like Star Wars, where you get some space opera & some fantasy/magic elements. These two give you a much more dynamic world than either "genre" might on it's own and -for me- it really worked. The characters, humanity and tension all built issue after issue to this amazing conclusion. (so I guess go read Decenders Vol. One if you haven't already)

Confession time: I've been subscribed to this book as a mon
Craig
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Descender was a bit of a slow starter, but ultimately became one of the comics I most looked forward to in each new issue/volume. Ascender starts off fast and it's great to be back in this universe with these creators again. The story takes place 10 years after the Harvester/UGC galactic war, in the remnants of that universe. Tech has largely been eradicated and now magic has taken its place and the universe is ruled by "Mother," the leader of a coven of witches, who has vampires and other creat ...more
Jakub Kvíz
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I have a feeling that this will be even better than Descender. So much potential here!

Ascender is more about magic than machines and it's working really well. I love seeing the old characters and the new ones are great too.

I think that this is what Lemire can do best - stories about families and relationships (Royal City, Essex County, Sweet Tooth). Dustin Nguyen's art is brilliant as always.

If you are a fan of Descender this is an absolute must-read.
Laura Ungureanu
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was kindly provided with a copy of this volume by Edelweiss. I didn't know at first that this was based on a previous series. Had I known that, I would've probably never picked it. However, once I started from the first issue of Descender, I was totally caught up. The series had everything. Robots, humans, creatures, and a lot of combinations between these. And now it has magic. The war between machinekind and humankind ended badly. Robots are totally gone and humans are left only with magic. ...more
Shannon
Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Total review score: 4.2
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The sequel to Lemire and Nguyen's excellent Descender, Ascender comes hot on the heels of the former's ending, and soon establishes itself as a whole different beast. Where technology and revolution were the themes of Descender, Ascender's all about magic and rebellion.

It's a bit of a slow start, as we're introduced to some familiar faces and some new ones, and as the new rules of the universe are set out and explained. But once things get moving, around issue 3, then it's non-stop right throug
Roy
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lemire does it again..probably one of my fave authors. Great extended world building of an amazing world. Awesome characters and lovely art.
Brianda
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
1. I thought everyone was dead so this was a pleasant surprise lmao. 2. I know "no robots" is how this book is marketed, but....not enough robots.
Ije the Devourer of Books
I was very pleased to see this first volume of Ascender on Edelweiss. This series starts ten years after the conclusion of the Descender series. I really enjoyed that series and read them all much too fast and it is brilliant to have a new series to lose myself in.

In this series Mila the daughter of Andy lives on the planet Sampson. Her mother Effie has passed away quite tragically, and the robots are dead and gone. The planet and most of the galaxy is in the hands of a vampire known
Annie
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm just gonna flip back through the pages and marvel at this amazing two-page spread of a beautiful flying turtle while feeling so. pumped. up. to see Andy and Bandit again!

Nguyen's art is so great and Lemire keeps the story moving. I wasn't sure how a transition from a more sci-fi dominated universe to a more fantasy-inspired one would go, but it feels pretty seamless to me so far. I can't wait to read more.
Charlotte
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is going to be even better than the original series and I'm living for it 🥰
Simon Fletcher
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lamire and Nguyen created with Descender an amazing graphic novel series and they are back with Ascender. This is everything I could wish the follow-up series to be, more of the same but radically changed. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes as it looks like it's going to be amazing.
Shane Perry
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really glad to see more stories out of this world. Only Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen could take a science fiction story and completely pivot to fantasy in a way that makes sense. Love how the world of Descender has evolved. Nguyen’s art remains stunning. Excited to see what new things happen, though the few sprinkles of Descender characters/locations is fun.
Larakaa
Hooked again! (Damn!)
Gail
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picks up a few years after the end of Descender. It’s brilliant.
Wesley V
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
!!!!!!!!!!!! and did I mention !!!!!!!?
Elizabeth
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is amazing! A great blend of science fiction and fantasy! I want to read more of this universe. SO much more. I want to read more of this story line and more about the past and future and a whole ton of people's side stories. Amazing character development, intrigue, adorableness, so much.
Pop Bop
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Beautiful, and Compelling

I've read lots of "pretty" graphic novels that have had less than interesting storylines, and lots of intriguing tales that had ho-hum artwork, but this beauty wins on both scores.

As to the story, we have a rebel and his daughter on the run from an evil vampire/witch villain, which doesn't sound all that novel. But every aspect of the story has just an extra bit of spin, or color, or detail, or novelty, that elevates it above the usual, and reminds the reade
Alex Sarll
Descender was an excellent comic, beginning in a watercolour future that looked like late period Roxy Music sounds, then following it through suddent robot apocalypse into the dark decades after. Unfortunately, it proceeded to follow the route taken by another story where a gorgeous interplanetary civilisation got fucked up by killer robots, and ended up in a mess very reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica's final season. Now, against all odds, it's taken an even more mystically bollocks 'Whuh?' s ...more
Theediscerning
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A few years back I read Descender Volume 1, and while liking it doubted I'd ever get to see the rest. Call me prescient. And here's the follow-on series, although this – as you might expect if you know the qualities of Lemire – is pretty easy to jump on board with. Here's the start of an epic-looking space opera, where the hero and his daughter are forced to leave their comfortable, exile-like home together and go elsewhere, and where the evil Mother, the woman that runs the universe by her laws ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
As a follow up series, you should absolutely pick up and read the six volumes of Descender before venturing onto this graphic novel. I preferred Descender over this one, largely because it was more focused on science fiction and robotics, while Ascender is much more fantastical. It took me a while to get into the story, but once I was re-introduced to familiar characters, I became invested in this new story. The setting and tone of the stories gave me some Star Wars vibes, which is always
Emily
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed Lemire's Descender series, which Ascender follows the aftermath of. It's an interesting take on a world with no technology, and how oppressive society has come after the events in Descender. I'm not the biggest fan of the mother, but I have a feeling there will be a satisfying end to that character. My only complaint is that I wish Effie were in this. She's such as a multifaceted character, and the lack of her is a negative for me.
Elia
Even if you have never read Descender, the graphic novel series of which this is a spinoff, this is definitely worth a read.
I have not read Descender, but I was never confused by the story, thanks to good world building and a couple of handy flashbacks. The artwork is gorgeous, and the story is interesting and well-developed. A cute robot dog never hurts either.
Perusing Panels
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really exciting start to the follow up series to Descender, was nice to catch up with some of the old characters and I’m intrigued to find out more about the new world they now live in.

This first volume felt both familiar and fresh, and I’m very much looking forward to seeing where this series goes!
Sesana
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics
It's a bit of a genre swing from Descender (not that science fiction and fantasy are all that far removed from each other) and that really works. Because it's a similar sort of hero's journey kind of story, and adding magic helps make this its own thing instead of a rehash of Descender.
Doug Peters
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paper, graphic-novel
A very exciting start to a new (but familiar) series. There is a strong hint of Saga in the way this volume shapes up, in my opinion. That is in no way a bad thing, but I hope Ascender finds its own identity.

• Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
  • Black Science, Vol. 9: No Authority But Yourself
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 3
  • Skyward, Vol. 2: Here There Be Dragonflies
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 2
  • Outcast, Vol. 7: The Darkness Grows
  • White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 3: Hotel Oblivion (The Umbrella Academy, #3)
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • East of West, Vol. 9
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part Three (Imbalance, #3)
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Self/Made
  • Farmhand, Vol. 2: Thorne in the Flesh
Jeff Lemire is a New York Times bestselling and award winning author, and creator of the acclaimed graphic novels Sweet Tooth, Essex County, The Underwater Welder, Trillium, Plutona, Black Hammer, Descender, Royal City, and Gideon Falls. His upcoming projects include a host of series and original graphic novels, including the fantasy series Ascender with Dustin Nguyen.