Start by marking “Bo's Magical New Friend: A Branches Book (Unicorn Diaries #1)” as Want to Read:
Bo's Magical New Friend: A Branches Book (Unicorn Diaries #1)

Bo's Magical New Friend: A Branches Book

(Unicorn Diaries #1)

Meet Rainbow Tinseltail and the unicorns of Sparklegrove Forest!

Published December 26th 2019 by Scholastic Inc.

Start your review of Bo's Magical New Friend: A Branches Book (Unicorn Diaries #1)
Steph
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes it’s nice to read a book that’s just plain fun and that makes you smile on every page. :-)

Everything adorable and colorful about unicorns comes to life in this first book in the Unicorn Diaries series! If you love the Owl Diaries books like I do, definitely pick this one up. Can’t wait to share it with the kids at school!
Tara Strosnider
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything adorable cute and colorful about unicorns comes to life in this first book in The Unicorn Diaries series

Bo Tinseltail loves going to Sparklegrove School with the other unicorns. Every unicorn has a magical power. Bo is a Wish Unicorn with the power to grant wishes. Bo has lots of friends, but one thing Bo wants more than anything is a best friend. When a new unicorn named Sunny Huckleberry pops into the forest, will Bo's big wish finally come true? And what will Sunny's Unicorn Power
Bel
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is going to be a HUGE hit amongst the new reader brigade. A fun read with friendship and problem solving at the core, this series is going to be a firm favorite from the get go.
Raven Black
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Super sugary sweet, but a fun unicorn story about friendship. Early readers will enjoy seeing themselves on the overly colorful and busy illustrations.
Harper
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love unicorns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jillian Heise
By the same author as Owl Diaries + Unicorns? This will be a big hit with my students!
Jenn
reading with Lexi and X was "pretending" not to listen.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Bo’s Magical New Friend (Unicorn Diaries #4) by Rebecca Elliott, 72 pages. EARLY READER. Scholastic Branches, 2019. $5 (paperback). 9781338323320

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Rainbow Tinseltail is so excited because a new unicorn has appeared! She is hoping that Sunny Huckleberry will be her extra special friend. First, though, Bo wants to help Sunny find his talent and they all need to earn their Unicorn Power Patch.

The Unicorn Diaries are so adorable. And even bette
Cheryl Meibos
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-graders
Cute illustrations, magical powers and adventure. My 6 year old granddaughter really liked this series. First grade reading level with some made up words like glitterific. Great addition to all of my elementary libraries.
Pam
New series from the author of Owl Diaries.
One of the unicorns shares the story of school life as a diary.
Charming illustrations and text will draw mid-elementary readers in. And, unicorns...
Shoshanah
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is the perfect early chapter book! Bo’s Magical New Friend is the first in the Unicorn Diary series. It tells the delightful tale of how Bo (short for Rainbow), makes friends with a new unicorn Sunny. Kaylee liked this so much that even though Daddy finished the book last night, she moved the bookmark back two chapters so we could reread her favorite parts again tonight.

I wish I had a photo of the inside pages because I loved how the book is crafted. First each page is full of bright colorf
Laurel Bradshaw
It was the third book in this series that caught my eye at the library - a colorful unicorn on the cover wearing armor and carrying a shield, and hovering above him a similarly clad pixie riding a dragonfly. Naturally, I had to get the first two books to look at. These are reading level 2, for First and Second Graders. The author has a very similar series Owl Diaries which is also great. This series is just a little more magical with fairies and pixies and trolls. My favorite so far are the pixi ...more
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

A fun read for unicorn-lovers. With adorable names, unique powers, and fun adventures, these unicorns demonstrate the importance of friendship and being kind to one another.

This book is written at a Grade 2 reading level and considered of interest to 1st to 2nd graders.

In this first book, we are introduced to Bo, who has the power to grant one wish a week. Told in a diary format, Bo describes the arrival of a new unicorn and some of the mishaps
M.L. Little
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
@kidlitexchange Partner: Unicorn Diaries: Bo’s Magical New Friend by Rebecca Elliott. AVAILABLE NOW through @scholasticinc.

This cute, colorful book perfect for ages 5-8 is like Diary of a Wimpy Kid if Greg Heffley turned all sunshine, rainbows, and friendship. Bo the unicorn has the power to grant wishes, and needs to make one come true to earn her badge. She has the chance to help a new friend, Sunny, and earn her badge at the same time, but when Sunny takes Bo’s efforts the wrong way, Bo has
RedPoppyReading
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
@kidlitexchange

“Unicorn Diaries: Bo’s Magical New Friend” by Rebecca Elliott is the first book in the Unicorn Diaries Series in the Branches line from Scholastic.

Fans of Owl Diaries, will love Unicorn Diaries! This super sweet story introduces unicorns of Sparklegrove Forest. All the unicorns live at the school because unicorns just magically appear on extra starry nights and each unicorn has their own super power. Bo is so excited when a new unicorn, Sunny, appears. The week’s school assignm
Marissa Gehrke
This was...interesting haha! There was actually a lot I really liked. The unicorn world is given a strong introduction (They sneeze glitter and sleep on clouds! Scary trolls live in Sparklegrove Forest!). The plot is fun and multifaceted, as the unicorns make a new friend in Sunny and work to earn their patches and use their powers. However, some of this was too silly for me to handle. Unicorns aren't born, they just pop into the world on starry nights?! Uhh, okay. Some of the names also had me ...more
Becky B
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rainbow who goes by Bo is a unicorn attending and living at Sparklegrove School for Unicorns. Every unicorn at the school has a special ability and spends their days at school learning unicorn skills and earning patches for their blankets. Bo is a wish unicorn and hopes someone will make a wish so she can earn her new patch. She also hopes that a new unicorn arrives who can be a best friend. When Sunny pops into existence in their forest and starts attending school, he doesn't know his unicorn a ...more
Diane
Rainbow “Bo” Tinseltail lives in Sparklegrove Forest and goes to S.S.U. with all her unicorn friends. Bo likes all the other unicorns, but she confesses to her diary that she doesn’t really have a best friend. She hopes that is going to change when a new unicorn comes to school. His name is Sunny Huckleberry and he seems very nice.

But Bo has other things to think about because this week at S.S.U. they are working on getting a patch for using their Unicorn Power to help someone else. Bo’s power
Natalie
Bo is a unicorn who has started a new diary and we get to meet and know her through her written entries over the span of six days. (This is the 1st book in this Unicorn Diaries series.) Bo lives in Sparklegrove Forest with lots of other magical creatures: trolls, fairies, goblins and tree sprites, to name a few. She goes to a unicorn school with her other buddies, but what she really wishes for is a best friend. A new unicorn, Sunny, shows up. Will Bo get her wish?

I love the diary style of this
Michele
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
Thank you @kidlitexchange for the review copy of this book! Although it’s been out awhile and I already have it in my library, I still wanted to share it here! @rebecca_elliott_author is doing a great job with Ow Diaries and now a unicorn Diaries. The first and second grade girls in my school LOVE these books!

There are many pages of this book that are like how young students write research papers so I bet they can see themselves in that too!
Alicia Evans
What a sweet new series! Unicorns are hot right now, and this book works really well with the established diary format. We see a whole world and mythos taking shape, and there are a lot of directions that the book can go since we see several other magical creatures. Perfect for fans of fantasy or the Owl Diaries series.

For: unicorn fans; readers wanting a diary format and fun illustrations.

Possible red flags: fighting with a friend and misunderstandings.
Mandy
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Sparklegrove Forest, home of unicorns! Bo tries to make friends with new unicorn, Sunny by helping him discover his unicorn power. To earn their Unicorn Power Patch, each unicorn must use their power to help someone. While trying to discover Sunny’s power, the unicorns face trolls, dance with fairies, and go to their unicorn classes.

Short chapter book with color pictures. Fun story about the magical world of unicorns. Fans of Owl Diaries and unicorns will enjoy this series!
Clwseattle
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
There is not one little girl who will not be enthralled with Bo's Magical New Friend (Unicorn Diaries #1)

While I am personally so over unicorns, Bo's Magical New Friend (Unicorn Diaries #1) is rather cute with the unicorns at 'school' meeting a new friend. The illustrations are bright and engaging and the story a lovely message.

4 stars
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In six short, easy-to-read chapters, the reader learns about Rainbow (Bo) Tinseltail, a magical unicorn, and a new unicorn who joins the group. Their teacher rewards them each a power badge on Fridays, so the unicorns have to use their powers to help someone. The new unicorn is worried that he doesn't have a power. Cute story and illustrations. ...more
Lisa
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-pea
Super sugary sweet, as another reviewer put it, but fun. My first grader enjoyed it, voluntarily read more on her own than she usually does, and asked for the next book in the series, so I think it’s a successful chapter book for early readers. Also, lots of the names made us laugh - bonus points for making the adults laugh!
Tara Ethridge
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a librarian, I'm constantly on the hunt for those bridging chapter books when readers take the dive into longer texts independently. And, even as an adult, I could not resist the cuteness of this book and the illustrations are incredible. Ordering it right away for our library and I am predicting it will be a big hit! ...more
Charlotte
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, rc19
fours stars, not because I personally loved it (I prefer the Owl Diaries series) but for successfully doing what it set out to do--an easy reader just chalk full of magical sparkles with the appealing story line of becoming best friends with the new uncorn in class.
Dawn
Will definitely recommend these for the sparkly unicorn loving new readers at my library. But...how do the unicorns have names if they just randomly appear in the forest?
Was also disappointed that Sunny wasn’t a pseudo unicorn with a plunger on his head, which is what his bowler hat looks like :(
Kristin
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book one in a series of early reader chapter books written in diary form with bright colorful illustrations. Children who love unicorns, especially magical ones that sneeze glitter, will enjoy this story about finding a best friend.
Ellen
While it's not something I can see adults voluntarily reading, I'd be really surprised if my students don't love it as devotedly as the love Elliott's Owl Diary series. It's one of the most popular series we own. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)
  • Pug’s Snow Day (Diary of a Pug #2)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle (The Princess in Black, #7)
  • Sparkly New Friends (Unicorn and Yeti, #1)
  • Emperor of the Universe
  • If Elephants Disappeared
  • 1968: Today's Authors Explore a Year of Rebellion, Revolution, and Change
  • Romanov
  • Girl Gone Viral
  • All the Colors of Magic
  • The Poison Jungle (Wings of Fire, #13)
  • Throwback (Throwback, #1)
  • A Winter's Promise (The Mirror Visitor #1)
  • The Tragical Tale of Birdie Bloom
  • Sunbeam's Shine (Unicorn Princesses, #1)
  • The Last Human
Rebecca Elliott is the author and illustrator of the best-selling Owl Diaries series (Scholastic US) & over 20 picture books including Just Because, Sometimes, Naked Trevor and Zoo Girl, for which she was nominated for the 2012 Kate Greenaway Medal.
Her new series The Unicorn Diaries (Scholastic US) & her first YA novel 'Pretty Funny ' (Penguin Random House) are out now.

Unicorn Diaries (4 books)
  • Bo and the Dragon-Pup (Unicorn Diaries, #2)
  • Bo the Brave: A Branches Book (Unicorn Diaries #3)
  • The Goblin Princess: A Branches Book (Unicorn Diaries #4) (Library Edition)