Start by marking “The Midnight Hour” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Hour

The Midnight Hour

(The Midnight Hour #1)

For fans of portal fantasies like Jessica Townsend's Nevermoor, Colin Meloy's Wildwood, and The Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black, and unlike so many other fantasies that introduce readers to a world of enchantment and wonder, The Midnight Hour is one filled with beasts and monsters for readers looking to shine their flashlights under the covers.
When
Published March 3rd 2020 by Chicken House (first published February 7th 2019)

Start your review of The Midnight Hour
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Set in the creepy backdrop of Victorian London (and present-day), young Emily is shocked to find her parents disappearing without a trace and her life in total danger. To find them, she has to go back in time but face many monsters along the way. She needs to battle with evil in a bid to find out everything about her familys past before the worst happens to them. I liked the story-line and the spooky Victorian setting. However, I just couldnt connect to Emily as much as I would have liked. At ...more
Alexandra
Very good and imaginative MG Fantasy. Emily is immensely likable, funny, spunky and delightfully contrary. Bonus points for two loving parents.
Char (lunarchar_)
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, owned-read
(4.5). I listened to this on Audible and I LOVED it so very much - I definitely think Im learning to love middle grade fantasy. And the narrator of this was incredible and Im definitely keen to listen to other books shes read. ...more
Melanie  Brinkman
Just what lurks within the stroke of midnight?

When Emily's family starts receiving strange letters, her curiosity peaks. Her parents set off to investigate them, only to vanish. As things only get increasingly odd, Emily knows she must find them. Equipped with a family keepsake, a hedgehog, and a few sandwitches, she follows the trail of clues they've left, only to stumble into the weird and secret world of the Midnight Hour. In this dark, magical, alternate version of London stuck in Victorian
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
This middle grade fantasy tells the story of a girl named Emily as her parents vanish into the world of the Midnight Hour (a Victorian London frozen in time, where lots of weird and wild magical creatures live) and she must set off to save them, accompanied only by a runaway mouth that lands her in trouble a lot, a hedgehog and some sandwiches. I initially struggled a little to understand the world and what it was, which made it slightly tricky for me to get into the book, but I really started ...more
Claire ✨
IN SUMMARY: A truly fun adventure. THE MIDNIGHT HOUR is pacy, fantastical, fun, and sure to entertain and engage readers of all ages.

MY THOUGHTS:

THE MIDNIGHT HOUR is a roaring adventure between our world and the landscape of a supernatural Victorian London at the peak of night. Though the voice is clunky and juvenile and relied on telling over showing at key moments, the story carries its own charm and whimsy that you can't help but enjoy yourself. The cast of characters is huge and wildly
Gabriela Pop
3.5/5
A wonderfully heartfelt and fun story! Full of all the whimsy and spunk one could want,some compelling worldbuilding and magic system, cool parents and a feisty little protagonist to follow around. I was taken away by this, but ultimately it did have a certain je ne sais quois missing. Still enjoyed it nevertheless.
Brenda
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2020
It's close to midnight and Emily is supposed to be in bed sound asleep, instead, she's awakened to the sounds of her parent's voices coming from downstairs. A letter has just arrived by "Night Post" and both of her parents are very concerned. The next morning, Emily learns her mother has set out to investigate and after a few days go by without a word, Emily's father then takes off and also vanishes. When strange visitors start showing up at Emily's house, Emily concludes that she'll have to ...more
Joy Smith
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
I love the portal premise (I love portals). And I appreciated the fact that Emily finally learns that her parents are interesting people. But before that--before they disappear--she finds them merely boring (her father is a postman who works the night shift) and aggravating, especially her mother. Then she really has to find them. She begins her travels with a pocket hedgehog, who tends to munch on the food she packed for her trip. The assorted characters she meets can be helpful or dangerous. ...more
Susie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I was expecting more, but more of what, I'm not sure. Maybe more like 3.5 stars than 3. Also, it's annoying that they only credit the male author on Goodreads. It has two authors, and the other is Laura Trinder.
Steph
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I could possibly want I got in this book: BRILLIANT characters, magic, some kind of mythology, funny and witty. Pair all of this with beautiful and interesting settings from libraries, to Big Ben and you have a book that is just exceptional.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Aug 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020
For fans of Nevermoor?!
looks at UK, US and German copies of Nevermoor & Wundersmith on my shelf
uhh yes please
Katie Fellows
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic quick paced read- Hoggins steals the show!
Gaby Meares
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily lives in London with her parents. She's eleven years old, is always getting herself into trouble because of her 'big gob' and has a typical relationship with her parents: she finds them extremely embarrassing. But when her mum goes missing, followed by her dad, she knows she has to find them. This is where Emily's life veers off into another world, literally.
Read and Trinder have created a fabulous alternative world populated by creatures magical and mystical, good and evil. This parallel
Kimberly Ann
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I wanted to read this book because the cover & title caught my fancy. Unfortunately the local library doesn't own it yet and I was sad that it wasn't even on their On Order list....

Well, I was cleaning out my mail pile (I don't read most of my posts) & I'd forgotten that I received a free ARC from Scholastic; Silly me Happy me!

Emily's mother is an artist who dumpster dives for art materials; her father works at the Midnight Post Office.

After receiving an odd letter, with even odder
Ithil
This is a great read for any lover of adventures into fae realms. A very light hearted, action packed, heart warming story of a brave young lady who crosses the barrier between world to saver her parents of an unknown threat.

I specially love the idea of The Midnight Hour and how it entangles with the real world and the imagination surround it. To be honest, mixing reality and fantasy is one of my weaknesses, so I thoroughly enjoy these kind of stories. A great surprise was the main characters
Jodi
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my Goodreads giveaway wins - it came in the mail very quickly, I was pulled in by the blurbs and story line and couldn't put it down until I finished it, this morning at 2:18 AM...yes, it was that good. Young Emily must go into a dark, scary world that she had no idea even existed, in order to save her parents (yes, even her incredibly annoying and mysterious Mum), new friends, AND, maybe, the entire world as she knows it. Peopled with vampires, trolls, ogres, and who knows WHAT ...more
Terryann

11yo Emilys quirky, artist, garbage diving mother is the bane of her existence. Shes sooooo embarrassing! And Emilys dad is just plain, boring: all he does is garden and deliver the mail. Until the night that Emilys mom goes on a mysterious errand and then disappears altogether. And then, her dad disappears too.
When Emily goes in search of them, she finds herself in a completely new world. The Midnight Hour was stopped during Londons Victorian era and all of the worlds magic was held there; in
Rosie Rizk
Wacky, fun, and imaginative.

Emily lives a normal boring life, which includes getting into major arguments with her embarrassing mother. When her mother leaves on an errand and doesn't come back, and then her father doesn't return from trying to find her mom, Emily finds her way into a wacky magical world full of monsters and dangers, and it's up to her to find her lost parents and to stop a powerful villain.

See full review at: https://tbrnext.com/2020/03/15/the-mi...

Emily is a great spunky
Nicole
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excitement as a normal evening in a house in London has a Midnight postal delivery. Emily knows there is no postal service so overhears her artful, hedgehog rescuing mother say she needs to go help as a family member is in trouble.
Emily & her mother had a huge argument they both have "the gob'" on them which I found rather a handsome trait to have when Emily sets out after her father goes missing too.
Questioning everything & going with her gut Emily meets allies & enemies as she
Christina Reid
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dove into this without knowing anything about it so was immediately intrigued by Emily, her Mum and her mysterious Irish family and her dad who Emily thinks is the most boring person in the world but has hidden depths.
I loved the idea of the Night Post and the fact that pookas play a main role. Emily's uncle Pat is hilarious and I was happy to see an animal sidekick in he form of a hedgehog!
When we meet The Library things got a little confusing and there are a number of things about the world
Stephen Connor
When Emilys parents disappear, she is naturally worried. But when she gets transported into a frozen-in-time version of her home city, London, her worries grow somewhat.

This parallel world is inhabited by monsters, shape-shifters, magicians and tricksters, and somewhere, deep in the darkest depths of this world, are her parents. Can she find them before evil takes over?

Fast-paced, monstrous, with some great descriptive language to engage readers and writers, and full of humour, this is a lovely
Diana
Amanda Wilcox
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a really fun story to read but I think it's a little confusing with language more common in England than the USA. I had to re-read quite a few sections to understand what was going on. The ending came very abruptly and was very predictable. I think it has a lot of potential and children will probably enjoy it greatly, with a bit of adult help through the different terminology that's not explained in context.
Ms. Yingling
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

I personally adore books that have London/Victorian London settings, but I am having a hard time getting my students to read them. This was a great book, with lots of adventure plus a bit of a Jacqueline Wilson feel to it, but I'm going to have to pass on purchasing. I'll definitely check to make sure my public library has a copy in case I have any students who get interested in London.
LeeAnn
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If "Prisoner of Azkaban" met "Wrinkle in Time"...
Just imagine what a fun, crazy ride that would be!

I can't wait for my middle school kiddos to get a hold of this book! It's got the feeling of Miss Peregrine's without being such a thick book to read! They're going to love it!

I received an arc of this book somehow (I'm not really sure how), but I'm definitely thankful. I highly recommend this book.
Bev
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in an alternate world and set in London - two ticks for me straight away! Middle grade fantasy with an opinionated, bold female protagonist who has an unusual pet, a hedgehog she keeps in her pocket. Enjoyed the family descriptions, doesnt everyone have a family Black sheep?! Emilys uncle who she was previously unaware of, is definitely one. Great fun with a few scary moments thrown in. ...more
Julia Marsen dyer
'Fans of Nevermoor will love this quirky debut, fizzing with humour, scares and vivid world-building.' THE BOOKSELLER

The Midnight Hour by Benjamin Read (author)and Laura Trinder (illustrator)published on the 7th February

Emily has one of those really embarrassing mums and Emilys mum has one of those really argumentative daughters- a match made in heaven. Emily is swiftly forced to realise that she doesnt know much about who her parents really are and when they disappear in short succession Emily
Lukas Holmes
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our first nightly family book of the quarantine is done! This is just such a super fun book with a lot of great writing. If you're doing it as a read aloud, it's even more fun because lots of great accents and voices and monsters to be acted out. The writing flows very easily and it's great for everyone.
Danni Jervis
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful little adventure set both in the modern world and in the victorian era.

The concept of the Midnight hour is cleverly executed and the cast of fantastical creatures are very unique in making this not just another random magical adventure.

The story sets up for a series judging by its ending so I am eager to see where it goes.
« previous 1 3 next »
NZ Intermediate S...: The Midnight Hour 1 11 Apr 14, 2019 09:35PM

• WildSpark
  • The Star-spun Web
  • The Peculiar Peggs of Riddling Woods
  • The Middler
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • The Land of Roar
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Rumblestar
  • The Umbrella Mouse
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • The Last Spell Breather
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • The Last Chance Hotel (Seth Seppi Mystery, #1)
  • A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Casper Tock and the Everdark Wings (The Unmapped Chronicles, #1)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
Benjamin Read writes comics and makes films. He wrote the multiply award-nominated PORCELAIN: A GOTHIC FAIRY TALE, the silent comic BUTTERFLY GATE, and childrens book, NIGHT POST, as well as the TRUE GRIT and SUPER 8 comic adaptations. He also wrote and produced the films ARMISTICE and 500 MILES NORTH. He is one of the founder members of the Improper Books comics collective, and is fuelled ...more

The Midnight Hour (2 books)
  • The Midnight Howl (The Midnight Hour, #2)