Start by marking “The Light in Hidden Places” as Want to Read:
The Light in Hidden Places

The Light in Hidden Places

The extraordinary story of Stefania Podgorska, a Polish teenager who chose bravery and humanity by hiding thirteen Jews in her attic during WWII -- from #1 New York Times bestselling author Sharon Cameron.

One knock at the door, and Stefania has a choice to make...

It is 1943, and for four years, sixteen-year-old Stefania has been working for the Diamant family in their
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Scholastic Press

Start your review of The Light in Hidden Places
♠ TABI ♠
Jun 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
the problem with loving books is that, no matter how many I clear off my tbr, I always find at least twice as many to replace the ones I've cleared
Leah (Jane Speare)
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy-hardcover
In the style of Ruta Septys, Cameron takes on a lesser known angle of history. Stefania Podgorska, a young Polish girl, risked every moment of her daily life to keep alive thirteen Jews during the Nazi occupation. Through Stefi’s eyes we are given hope in hopeless situations, a difficult thing to accomplish in a novel of WWII. Stefi wasn’t fearless, but she used her fear to drive herself and help others, and through those actions, her fear manifested as courage. With concise and affecting ...more
Anniek
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
RTC
Energy
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway from I Read YA and started it as soon as I could as this is my favorite time period in Historical Fiction.

In Poland during the second world war, Stefania, called Fusia, takes a job with a family to get away from home. The family is Jewish, which means little to her as she's Catholic and safe, but she bonds with the mother, who she calls her babcia, her grandmother, and her sons, mainly Izio and Max. As Hitler starts to deport Jews, the boys must go into
Pam  Page
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is truly a remarkable story about Stefania Podgorska, a 16 year old Polish Catholic girl, set during the Holocaust in Poland. Stefania uses her wit, bravery, and love to hide thirteen Jews in her attic. The story will be one you cannot forget and I am still amazed at Stefania's ability to survive against so many odds.
Laura KJ
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredible feat has been achieved here. The fear and sadness are real. The stakes can be felt, but the overall tone of love and hope still pervade.
The world needs more stories like this, to be sure, but even more than that, the world needs more Stefanias.
Judy
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED the story!!! Couldn’t put it down!
Deanna Day
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2020
YA, WWII, true story

I am glad I chose to read this book on New Year's eve. The only problem is that the fire works disturbed my reading. This is an all read for everyone. Every middle schooler and adult must read this incredible novel.

I could not put it down. After reading 200 pages I had to read the author's note because I was stressed out whether Stefi and Hela lived. And then I returned to keep reading.

This is a griping story with many highs and lows. I cried and shook in fear as I read
Abby B.
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was written in such a way that I have never seen in all the historical books I’ve read—especially those related to the holocaust. I was so addicted I read this book in only 2 days; I could not put it down. The book is written in the beauty of memoirs and Cameron herself visiting all the places that this story took place in. This makes everything in it so much more alive.

I cannot emphasize enough that anyone who loves heartbreak, love, fear, happiness—anything to make a story real and
Mrs. Luettchau
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such an important story to read! Hearing Sharon Cameron talk about the process of writing the book made me want to read it so badly, and I couldn't put it down. Despite knowing the real story behind the book, I was still reading with anticipation. I love how this book is based on a true story, and I can't wait to share it with my students. One if the most gripping, heartbreaking, and hopeful novels I've read in a long time!
Jen S
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. I heard the author speak and was amazed that it was based on a true story. I can't imagine being only 16 years old and having to make the decisions Stefania had to make!
Emma Schroer
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picked up a free advanced copy of this book at a bookstore and it was AMAZING! Fans of the Book Thief/Ruta Sepetys should read this. Cameron showed a lot variety of life during occupied Poland. Please buy this when it comes out.
Kimberly Rein
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW! A different view on the Holocaust. A true story that was wonderfully told! I was hooked from the first page!
Amira
Oct 14, 2019
Katie
Jan 18, 2020
Kathy
rated it did not like it
Oct 26, 2019

• I Can Make This Promise
  • Roll with It
  • Reverie
  • Bibliostyle: How We Live at Home with Books
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Carmilla
  • White Rose
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Emmy in the Key of Code
Sharon Cameron was awarded the 2009 Sue Alexander Most Promising New Work Award by the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators for her debut novel, The Dark Unwinding. When not writing Sharon can be found thumbing dusty tomes, shooting her longbow, or indulging in her lifelong search for secret passages.