Start by marking “The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)

The Rebel Bride

(The Daughters of the Mayflower #10)

Can Love Form Amidst Tensions of War?

During the clash between Union and Confederacy, quiet Tennessean Pearl MacFarlane is compelled to nurse both Rebel and Yankee wounded who seek refuge at her family’s farm. She is determined to remain unmoved by the Yankee cause—until she faces the silent struggle of Union soldier Joshua Wheeler, a recent amputee. The MacFarlane family
Published December 1st 2019 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Rebel Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rebel Bride

Start your review of The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
Missy
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had all the feel goods for me - the Civil War and Chattanooga. It was a perfect book to continue the Daughter of the Mayflower series. I whooped at the mention of the Wisconsin/Minnesota family - Halvorson - I will forgive the author for choosing this variation because it is common in that area, even though mine is Halverson (NE/NW Iowa).

This is the story of Pearl MacFarlane, the granddaughter of Kate and Thomas MacFarlane from The Cumberland Bride, along with her father and younger br
Deanne Patterson
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
This is the 10th book in the Daughter of the Mayflower series and I've read every single one of them. Honestly they just keep getting better and better.
With the Civil War raging near Chattanooga, Tennessee in the Fall of 1863 quiet and demure Tennessean Pearl MacFarlane is forced to take Yankee and Rebel injured soldiers into her home and nurse them. Her mother is no longer living and her father's health is rapidly failing though he does his best to help and religiously still reads his bible.
Tho
Loraine
I have enjoyed every book in the Daughter of the Mayflower series, but this book really stands out in my mind. It is obvious that McNear did an incredible amount of research to present this one tiny area and the big battle near and around it. She also obviously looked at both sides of the war and the perspective of the Union and Confederate armies as well as the individual soldiers involved. It was and still is a complicated war that divides opinions even to this day.

Each and every character wa
Karen R
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another captivating story in the Daughters of the Mayflower series!
A grieving family is prevailed upon to harbor wounded enemy soldiers in their home near Chattanooga, Tennessee in the fall of 1863. Nursing the enemy challenges Pearl to put her faith into action in ways she'd never imagined.

“If thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink...”
Great characters that grew in depth as the story progressed, and descriptive writing drew me into this interesting tale. I felt like I was th
Staci
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
The Daughter of the Mayflower Series is a great way to take trip through history. In The Rebel Bride, readers learn about life during the Civil War.

Main character Pearl lives with what's left of her family just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Three of her four brothers died in battle and her father has what we now know as dementia. Pearl's cousin asks her to care for Yankee prisoners of war that were injured in battle. It seemed very realistic to see how her opinions changed as she got to know
Randi Annie Framnes
When Pearl MacFarland is forced by Confederacy to take in seriously wounded Federal prisoners to give makeshift nursing care, she resists with everything she’s got. Meeting Federal Sergeant Joshua Wheeler who fights to end secession and slavery, they are both in for an eye-opening experience becoming aware of the not so black and white elements of war. While suffering under the weight of enormous responsibility, hardships and occasional experiences of danger, Pearl learns to still show compassio ...more
Elodie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Daughters of the Mayflower Series #10
Shannon McNear
Release date 12/01/2019
Publisher Barbour Books

Blurb :

Can Love Form Amidst Tensions of War?

Denise Weimer
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shannon McNear has once again pierced through history, bringing the Civil War to life with accuracy and authenticity. The story of Pearl and Josh will haunt you like a melody carrying through time. You'll find yourself cheering not for one side or the other in the conflict that tore our country apart, but for a Rebel girl and a wounded Yankee soldier to find not only common ground but a foundation for love.
4.5 stars. I received an ARC of The Rebel Bride but was in no way obligated to post a pos
Lori
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been loving this series since the Mayflower and it just keeps getting better and better!
There's just something about the Civil War that fascinates me. I don't know what it is. Maybe it had to do with courage, beliefs, who knows.
I liked this book for what it had to offer.
Trust is the issue here And we can't leave out Hope at the end of the line.
Trust is the hardest thing to do in life. Heck it's even hard to put our love and trust in God. All because we think we can do it on our own includin
Jypsy
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a complimentary copy
of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post
a review*

By: Shannon McNear

*REVIEW* 🌟🌟🌟🌟
I'm new to the Brides of the Mayflower Series, but The Rebel Bride is fine as a standalone. This story is a compelling look at the Civil War from both sides. Pearl lives near Chattanooga, and circumstances demand she care for wounded Yankee soldiers. Although experiencing her own grief, Pearl tends to the wounded men with grace and kin
Jocelyn Green
The Rebel Bride is deftly woven with strands of dignity, thoughtfulness, and grace. With admirable attention to historical detail, Shannon McNear has given us story of quiet determination set to a backdrop clamoring of war. Lovers of Civil War-era novels will appreciate the depth of character explored within these pages.
Debby
Another good novel and another new author to this reader in the Daughters of the Mayflower series, "The Rebel Bride" takes place in Tennessee during the Civil War where Pearl MacFarlane is a dominant Southern belle. Although a confederate, her religious belief is one of not believing that people should owned by other people…especially slaves.

Pearl and Josh Wheeler are wonderful characters and others in the story have their own distinctive characteristics. My only drawback is the very hypocritic
Caroline arrow_reads
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 ⭐️

This is a sweet, encouraging story set in Tennessee during the Civil War. With heartache of her own, Pearl is told to take in and care for Union soldiers. There is a delightful, slow romance that develops. Between all their differences, will they be able to one day live their lives together? I was encouraged by Pearl’s prayers and Scripture throughout the book. ⁣⁣⁣
Thank you NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for this advanced copy. Publish date is December 1, 2019. ⁣⁣⁣
I plan to read the oth
Monique
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Rebel Bride by Shannon McNear is the tenth book in the Daughter of the Mayflower series, though each book is a standalone and does not feature characters from other books. As it’s been my privilege to read most of this series, I’ve followed all the stories through American history and I’ve learned quite a lot, though the main focus are of course the characters and their personal struggles.

I’ve been a fan of Shannon McNear’s other novel in this series, The Cumberland Bride, and this novel do
Marilyn
“President Lincoln himself said, ‘That a house divided against itself cannot stand.’”

I appreciate that Shannon McNear setting for The Rebel Bride was more middle class than at a Southern plantation. This book has everything that makes a historical Christian fiction a pleasure to read. The research of history during this Era including detail of battles, suffering of troops, action, characters to please, a slow romance, surprises and plenty of prayers and Scriptural references. Pearl MacFarlane di
Teresa
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Written during the Battle of Chickamauga, Pearl MacFarlane, along with her brother, Clem, and father, are trying to keep the farm running. Three brothers are already presumed lost to the war and their mother has been gone. When their cousin, Travis, brings a bunch of wounded soldiers to their home, their home becomes a hospital. Pearl does her best to tend to the wounds and healing but a certain soldier, Josh, becomes special to her and her to him. When choosing sides, which one prevails and can ...more
Abigail Harris
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story of loving your enemies. It had been a while since I read a civil war romance that I enjoyed as much as I enjoyed Shannon McNear's The Rebel Bride!

I found this to be a historically accurate story which I liked even more

I voluntarily received and reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.
Kailey
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t get enough of this series! I love how each one highlights a different period of time in American history. With there being so many Civil War stories out there it can sometimes be challenging to find a story that is original. I think that Shannon McNear did an excellent job with her story! She gives us a fresh look at what life was like for families on the home front. I hadn’t read any stories about anyone being forced to open their homes and to care for those they consider the enemy. She ...more
Mandy
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Civil War. A time discussed often, but only on the surface. Most often the stories of this period are told from two perspectives- one being the plantation owner who wants to keep slaves, the other a person from the North who is fighting to abolish slavery. The Rebel Bride is an in depth tale from very different points of view. Perhaps ones not many have thought about. Shannon McNear definitely did research, and left no fact buried. Historically accurate this novel could act as a sort of text ...more
Jodi
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Rebel Bride is the tenth book in The Daughters of the Mayflower series. If you haven't read any of the books in this unique series, you need to know that they are all loosely connected by the Lytton family tree and each book can be read as a stand alone. I have enjoyed that the books are written by different authors and because of this I was introduced to new authors I have come to enjoy reading including Shannon McNear. I have also enjoyed the covers and how they highlight the progression o ...more
Maria
Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review
A very sweet, slow romance between a Union soldier and a Southern young woman, “The Rebel Bride”, by Shannon McNear (Barbour Publishing), addresses the ravage and horrors of war and features a wounded soldier who wonders if he’ll ever have the chance of “a plain, ordinary life”.
Josh is a great character, solid, kind, level-headed. Pearl is an amazing heroine, too, her strength and braveness coexisting with her fears and vulnerability.
I
Sarita
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Though this was not one of my favourites in the series, I did enjoy the story and character development. I think mostly why I only liked it is that the previous books which were favourites, had a bit more action and intrigue from the start, whereas this one had for almost 40% the same events of Pearl just caring for the wounded soldiers.

What I did like was how Pearl's faith was tested and tried with being forced to take care of enemy soldiers, being challenged with who is in the right and wrong
Paula Shreckhise
The Rebel Bride by Shannon McNear is the 10th book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series from Barbour. It is an outstanding story of conflict and faith.
Years ago, my husband and I visited the battlefields at Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga . It was a memorable experience. I was thrilled to find that this story took place in the aftermath of Chickamauga.
It is a powerful rendition of the realities of war and the personal struggles of soldiers and civilians alike in dealing with the wounded af
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Pearl is a young woman living in Tennessee with her ailing father and young brother during the Civil War. Raised in the Confederate States and with three brothers lost in the fighting, she does not feel sympathetic to the Northern cause or their soldiers. But then she is called upon to turn her home into a makeshift hospital and nurse Yankee soldiers, among them is the handsome Union soldier, Joshua Wheeler.

In bringing him back from the brink of death and later working alongside him as more sold
Vera Godley
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author continues the Daughters of the Mayflower series with a look at a woman of the South during the Civil War. The author's presentation takes a look at the issues of the north and south and in this story primarily focuses on that of the MacFarlane family who owns a home and land in Tennessee. They don't believe in slavery nor own any slaves to work their land or home.

After a major battle between the Union and Confederacy near their home, Pearl MacFarlane is confronted by her cousin who de
Nancy
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A North/South Civil War Romance

After the Battle of Chickamauga, wounded Yankee soldiers are brought to the home of Pearl MacFarlane and her father. The MacFarlane’s have very little, and they’re mourning the deaths of three of Pearl’s brothers in battle. For these reasons, Pearl does not want Yankees in her home. However, she has no choice.

Relying on her faith in God, Pearl accepts the challenge of caring for the men and finds that although Yankees, they are regular people. Josh Bledsoe, a sold
Rebecca
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Seems all we can do sometimes is just keep choosing the right thing to do, right in front of us, and trust He'll bring good of it."

Sometimes the strength of a story is in its perspective, especially when the subject matter is as tremulous as that of the Civil War. Caught between the battlelines along the Chickamauga River bordering Tennessee and Georgia, Pearl MacFarlane's home is conscripted as temporary housing for Federal prisoners whose injuries appear dire. One of those entrusted into her
Trisha
History fairly leaps off the pages through the lives of these dynamic characters! I enjoyed my time spent reading this story and hated to see the last chapter arrive. I easily felt like I was part of the story and living the events right alongside the characters.

The effects of the choices leading up to and following the American Civil War are ones that are still seen to this day. The wounds from any War are deep, but wars fought on your own soil seems to be long-lasting for those who live there.
Susan
This thought-provoking novel was unputdownable. McNear's skillful pen fills the pages with vibrant characters and vivid descriptions of the horror and destruction of the American Civil War. I was captivated by Pearl's strength of character when faced with the ugliness of war. As she comes to terms with grief, she is forced to care for the wounded soldiers that have been brought into her home. Her spiritual struggle of caring for her enemy was convicting, as well as discerning the right/ wrong si ...more
Kim
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
By Shannon McNear
Book 10 of the Daughters of the Mayflower series
Rating: 4/5

I love learning new things and this wonderful story is full of perspectives I never considered or wasn’t taught when learning about the Civil War and its effect on everyone involved. The author shares even more about her research at the end of the book and I really appreciated the extra history lesson.

When a young woman is beside herself with loss and overwhelmed with her responsibilities, can she pull he
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The House at the End of the Moor
  • The Gray Chamber (True Colors)
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • In the Cradle Lies (Tree of Life #2)
  • The Green Dress (True Colors)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Black Midnight (True Colors)
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • A Life Once Dreamed
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • Woman of Sunlight (Brides of Hope Mountain, #2)
  • Storing Up Trouble (American Heiresses, #3)
  • Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders, #1)
  • The Brightest of Dreams (Canadian Crossings, #3)
Shannon has been writing one thing or another since third grade and finished her first novel at age fifteen—but waited more than thirty years for her first book contract. In the meantime, she graduated from high school, attended college, met and married her husband, birthed nine children, lost one, taught five to drive, revised that first story innumerable times, and completed six others.

Her first

The Daughters of the Mayflower (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Mayflower Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #1)
  • The Pirate Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #2)
  • The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #3)
  • The Patriot Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #4)
  • The Cumberland Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #5)
  • The Liberty Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #6)
  • The Alamo Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #7)
  • The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #8)
  • The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)