Start by marking “Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber” as Want to Read:
Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber

Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber

In June 2017, Travis Kalanick, the hard-charging CEO of Uber, was ousted in a boardroom coup that capped a brutal year for the transportation giant. Uber had catapulted to the top of the tech world, yet for many came to symbolize everything wrong with Silicon Valley.

Award-winning New York Times technology correspondent Mike Isaac’s Super Pumped presents the dramatic rise a
Published September 3rd 2019 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about Super Pumped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super Pumped

Start your review of Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
Sparse Greener
Sep 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is one most poorly written books I’ve read in years. I picked it up because I’ve always disliked Uber and thought this would be an Uber-focused version of “Bad Blood” (one of my favorite books I’ve read this year). It was not even in the same league. By the end I actually liked Travis more, and truly loathed the author for making me sit through 350 pages of painful drivel.

The writing is horribly self-congratulatory (“there was a New York Times reporter involved. That reporter was me” is evo
Henk
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The fascinating source material is not done full justice by sloppy writing and editing - Three Stars
You treat us like mushrooms: feed us shit and keep us in the dark - an investor about Uber's CEO Travis Kalanick

The real,
The first time I used an Uber was when a friend and me were stranded by a disruption of public transport on the way to Stansted airport. Our driver passed us twice because he didn't know how we looked, and we feared he just picked up an other ride due to the spike in demand and
Eric Lin
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
If this book were an Uber ride, it would be an Uber Pool wending its way through the Marina on Saturday night - sloppy bros and woo girls cycling in and out.

Perhaps they slump against the window, leaning heavy. The window rolls down, Mom's spaghetti. They stagger out from the backseat, swaying back and forth behind the car as they wait to jaywalk across the street to return home. They will sleep on their dirty floor tonight, alone.

The driver has been drinking too. You can smell it on his breath.
Jason
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Mostly accurate, but lacks character development.

I worked at Uber in SF beginning in 2015, and at a high level the events in the book that I experienced (Vegas off-site, China market) were fairly accurate portrayals of what actually happened.

The biggest disappointment with the book was not whether or not events actually happened or not, but that it never really dug into the psyche of any of the main characters, likely because the author has never successfully managed to interview any of them o
Eric Mannes
So much of this book was fascinating. Starting with Part 3, I was highlighting every other paragraph. Lots of it was new to me, including the scope of fraud in the Chinese market that Uber dealt with (e.g., “giant makeshift circuit boards filled with hundreds of slots to insert SIM cards” to make it easy to create and cycle through new accounts). While other events were familiar from earlier reporting, they made much more sense within Isaac’s narrative. For instance, I’d read that Apple execs ha ...more
Sasha
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a transportation reporter this was a page-turner, it read almost like a novelization of real events. It was fascinating to go behind the scenes of key moments in Uber, ride-hailing, and tech/Silicon Valley history.
Rachel
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interestingly written. It feels like it’s almost mocking the bro-culture of the company: the writing itself seems a bit childish and the fratty undertones are not very subtle. Overall, the story itself is fascinating, if not alarming. Maybe will write another update after I hear the author speak in a couple of days.
Vuk Trifkovic
Oct 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Pretty poor book. It's such an NYT thing. The author is, as it is typical for tech press, totally in thrall of the companies they cover. It is not so much that he's "pro" Kalanick, it's more than total mediocrity of Kalanick actually really resonate with Isaac. He bends over backward to paint an aggressive everyman (well, almost) into a super-being just because he calculated ETA in a car once. In the end, he even openly fawns over Kalnick *IN COURT*.

More to the point, the book brings very little
Mona Nomura
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a read!

Because of the interconnected (almost incestual) nature of Silicon Valley, this tale of Uber takes you on an insider journey into the startup world, touching upon other products aside from Uber and unveiling some of the key people that shaped our current tech world.

Perfectly cadenced, engaging, meticulously researched, and written in laymen’s terms I couldn’t put this book down and finished in one sitting.

Highly recommended.
Ann
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business
TL;DR: Travis Kalanick is a douche, tech is out of control, take Lyft instead of Uber.

Super Pumped is methodically researched and compelling. It confirms what we've always suspected: that Travis Kalanick and his cronies are insufferable douchebags. This is a conclusion yielded by the facts of the story, not by the author's writing, which is a surprisingly balanced account. After everything Kalanick does in the name of "winning," it's satisfying to see him pushed out of his own company. At the sa
Bryan Rahija
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A poor man’s Bad Blood. Isaac seems to borrow a lot from John Carreyrou’s corporate thriller on Theranos, starting with an endorsement from Carreyrou on the back cover, and also including a chapter about two thirds the way through, where Isaac inserts himself into the story a la Carreyrou, as he recounts meeting a source in the first person.

Both books show the dangerous results of the recent firesale on venture capital: companies run by megalomaniacs who blatantly disregard the rules. Isaac dia
Shridhar Sp
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don't even know why I picked this book. It is just a collection of randomly pieced news articles about all the misgivings of Uber. Please note, only misgivings. Also, other key takeaway, all executives at Uber are over 6 feet tall with hustle in them. What a waste of time!
Penner
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
So I have now read this entire hardback book about Uber, and still don’t understand what its great innovation was. What did everybody think was so new about it? In the old days you had to call a cab using your phone. Now, with Uber, you can call a cab with… your phone. Except that instead of a licensed and vetted professional driver backed by state insurance, you get some dude with a car. And lest you think “some dude with a car” is the true innovation, let me remind you of the hundreds of gypsy ...more
Mindaugas Mozūras
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The law isn’t what is written. It’s what is enforced.

I vividly remember the LOGIN conference in May 2016. That was before the nightmare year Uber survived in 2017. Uber was still seen as cool, even if it had blemishes to its name.

During LOGIN, my co-worker came up to me, and passionately described the workshop conducted by Uber engineers. He detailed Uber's values and how we could use some of them at our company. The longer I listened, the more passionately I felt that we definitely should not u
Mahesh Naidu
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you live in the Bay Area or have anything to do with Tech companies this one is a MUST READ. The book sheds light on some of the deepest darkest secrets as well as success stories originating from the silicon Valley. Mike does a great job at keeping the audience in mind in every little detail shared through the book which keeps you wanting for more. LOVED IT!
Peter Knox
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This may stand as the breakout ‘business’ book of the year in that a knowledgeable insider who has been covering the company for years successfully gives the full context surrounding the specific circumstances that allowed for Uber to exist, explode, and implode.

Decades from now I predict students may turn to this book to try to understand 2010-2019 startup culture, ride sharing, and the gig economy.

As curious a study as Travis is, this book goes beyond his biographical study into what actuall
Elena
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
AT THE END OF THE DAY THIS BOOK IS PRETTY BLOODLESS. NO ONE KILLS HIMSELF, FOR EXAMPLE, WHICH HAPPENED WITH ENRON. SO YOU'RE DISADVANTAGED FROM THE START. THEN YOU ADD THE WRITING. I GET THAT THIS BOOK WAS TURNED AROUND VERY QUICKLY, BUT THE WRITING WAS REPETITIVE, RUSHED, AND ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL STYLISTICALLY. ULTIMATELY VERY DISAPPOINTING, AUTHOR SHOULD'VE HELD OFF FOR 5 YEARS SO HE COULD INCLUDE THE INEVITABLE "ALSO KALANICK AND HUFFINGTON WERE HAVING AN AFFAIR THE WHOLE TIME" BOMBSHELL.

ALSO,
Eric
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a fascinating story poorly told. Isaac is so excited to tell salacious stories that he completely skips over the building of the company. The timeline jumps all over the place which muddles the narrative to an extreme level. It would have been great if this book were written by a journalist instead of by someone with a weird axe to grind (at least it sure feels that way).
Shashank Bhargava
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting read, well reported, not super well written. Lot of information repeated and lots of useless appositives that make you feel like you're going crazy.
Vidya
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best written book (bizarre errors throughout and strange transitions), but taking in all of Uber’s transgressions at once - even if you followed the articles over time - really hits you over the head with how crazy Silicon Valley has become and the danger of unprincipled leadership. It validates the choice to take Lyft some of us made a few years ago, tho who knows what’s going on in that shop? The ending 20% on the drama between the VCs and Travis was like a guilty pleasure read.

All th
Deepthi
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
In Super Pumped, Mike Isaac, a tech reporter working with the New York Times traces the ups and downs of Silicon Valleys’ once darling unicorn Uber. At the outset it appeared that this could be a 5 star book, however it was not to be.
While Mike Isaac does a good wrap up of the Uber story right from its founding till its IPO, his work doesn’t match the investigative journalism standards of Brad Stone’s or John Carreyrou’s accounts of Amazon and Theranos respectively. The writing feels formulaic i
Jenna
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
wow so riveting and fascinating and well told.
Kestutis
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent memoir of Travis Kalanic, co-founder of Uber, the most successful startup of 21st century so far.

This book allows you to live the life of the super-scaling startup, with all its advantages and drawbacks. Sex, drugs and rock'n'roll is part of it, of course, when a CEO of 10 poeple becomes the CEO of 15,000 corporation in less than 5 years.

Bad management practices, PR tragedies and a lot of internal drama arise when billions are at stake.

Very very good read and an excellent book to liste
Thijs Niks
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike Isaac masterfully narrates the struggle for power over Uber and its main characters.
Bartosz Majewski
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Great reporting in one of my favourite genre: biographies of companies. And this is a fascinating story starring an Uber-Aggressive founder, Best VCs in the world, Taxi corporations connected to mafia, China and of course softbank.
If you liked Bad Blood you are probably going to like this one as well.

Listening to the audiobook I couldn't stop thinking about how similar parts of Uber's story are to late USSR (i know it's a fringe comparison, but I can't help myself)

Both had its downs. For USSR i
Conrad
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one. Of course a bunch of it is stuff that I already knew, but my story with Uber was already completed by the time most of the juicy stuff in this book occurred. It's actually quite the bit of epic corporate drama at the end and I do have to admit I was quite curious about the details. I got some of what I wanted and some was still left as a mystery.

However, I do really like that this book didn't seem to have too much of an agenda. It praised the company for what it had done while
Kanika Jain
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was such a roller coaster! I have not read a story like this, of an organization we all know so well. Or do we? Uber is such an integral part of our lives, hailing a cab means uber, but one can never imagine whats gone behind the doors. It is an eye opener to read the events that led to the rise and pretty much a fall of Uber. The book sets the tone of being a thrilling account right from the first chapter. The launch in Portland, the failed and humongous attempt to make inroads in Chi ...more
Katie
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Clean writing. Interesting narrative. Recommend.
Robert Foley
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Very good book, def way too much bro club going on in the valley and it's crazy how everyone just accepts.
Elijah Oyekunle
May 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: technology, business
I don't feel this presents a non-biased view of what went down at Uber. Pretty repetitive as well.

Some of the history was good, but I also didn't really learn anything different from what was already in the news, 2015 till date.

• That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital and How to Get It
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Whistleblower: My Journey to Silicon Valley and Fight for Justice at Uber
  • Bitcoin Billionaires: A True Story of Genius, Betrayal, and Redemption
  • Billion Dollar Whale: The Man Who Fooled Wall Street, Hollywood, and the World
  • Dark Towers: Deutsche Bank, Donald Trump, and an Epic Trail of Destruction
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Kochland: The Secret History of Koch Industries and Corporate Power in America
  • What It Takes: Lessons in the Pursuit of Excellence
  • Billion Dollar Brand Club: The Rebel Startups Disrupting Industry Empires
  • MBS: The Rise to Power of Mohammed bin Salman

Articles featuring this book

When you work at Goodreads, it's pretty tough to keep that Want to Read shelf under control. (And let's be honest, most of us don't even...
“I waved him over, looking as harmless as I could. My reporter trick is to play dumb and friendly; dumb and friendly is always more approachable than eager and prodding.” 2 likes
“And around the same time Levandowski left, his partner, Lior Ron, had searched Google for some incriminating phrases, including “how to secretly delete files mac” and “how to permanently delete google drive files from my computer.” 0 likes