Start by marking “Poison Orchids” as Want to Read:

Poison Orchids

A dark, compelling new thriller from bestselling authors Sarah A. Denzil and Anni Taylor

Young backpackers Gemma and Hayley arrive at a remote mango farm, out of money and desperate for work. The farm's owner, Tate Llewellyn, welcomes them in with open arms. An enigmatic, wealthy chemist, Tate spends his days running his hobby farm and cultivating rare orchids in his greenh
Published May 20th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Poison Orchids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison Orchids

Brenda
When Gemma met English girl, Hayley in Sydney, the enticing brochure of a mango farm in the Northern Territory, not far from Katherine, seemed exciting. But with little money, the girls decided to hitchhike. A long way, but eventually they arrived. The farm was a happy place – the backpackers who picked the fruit seemed to delight in their work, and soon Gemma and Hayley joined in. It was exhausting but satisfying work. The owner, Tate Llewellyn, made sure his staff had leisure time at the nearb ...more
Carolyn
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gemma and Hayley. Two very different girls. Hayley a backpacker from England, Gemma from Sydney. Both wanting to escape the sleazy boss of the Sydney bar where they work, they seize on a brochure offering fun and work in sunny northern Australia on a mango farm. It looks idyllic and so it seems at first but something is just a bit off key with the people working there and the owner, handsome, wealthy Tate Llewellyn seems too good to be true.

Some weeks later Gemma and Hayley are seen by a tanker
Kim
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
Setting: Northern Territory, Australia; present day. This was a great collaboration between Derbyshire author Sarah Denzil and Australian author Anni Taylor - both of which are authors with whom I am familiar. What appears to be a straightforward case when two young women are found battered and bruised at an isolated roadside location becomes so much more when their stories about their captivity do not tally. The common denominator appears to be a mango farm, run by the son of a millionaire phar ...more
Maria
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book but bad police work

The story was good, but I can’t help but feel like these were the dumbest police officers that were on the case. It never occurred to them that the head of the mango farm, who everyone calls The Chemist and is in big time pharma, may be experimenting on his workers???
Dawn Lawrence (Bonnies Book Talk)
Firstly thanks to the authors for providing this ARC in exchange for my honest review, I appreciate it. I am a fan of both authors so was excited to read it. I was not disappointed!

I really enjoyed this book, there was so many levels to it. I thought this was going to be a backpacker type murder like Wolf Creek but oh my goodness there is so much more to it. It's full of mystery, darkness, evil and suspense.

This story was fascinating, it kept me engaged right the way through the book. I read it
Pam
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Backpackers Gemma and Hayley arrive for work as fruit pickers on a remote mango farm in Australia, everyone looks so happy and they think they have found heaven, but in reality they have found hell.
buzy_reading
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The chemist and his pretty orchids were a family of mango pickers. Backpackers from around the world were recruited by others to join the family for mango season during the summer months. Tate’s farm offered food, fun, and boarding.
When two girls are found on the highway being chased by a man, detectives and Psychologist Megan Arlotti are assigned the case. With the perpetrator identified and dead, the detectives first focused on the girls trying to fill in the gaps from the point of arrival.
M
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came across this book as I was browsing books. The cover caught my eye and I had to know what it was about. The synopsis sounded interesting so I went for it. This book is one wild ride! I gave up trying to figure out things and just enjoyed the rollercoaster ride. Gemma and Hayley are found on the side of the road at night. Each tell their side of the story but it’s obvious to detectives that there’s more to what happened to them. As the story unfolds with each chapter, you realize nothing is ...more
RedRedtheycallmeRed
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book opens with a truck driver seeing two teenage girls running across a highway to get away from a man. He crashes the truck trying to avoid them, the girls are rescued and taken to a hospital. While Gemma and Hayley are recovering, they tell the detectives a bizarre and horrible story. But their stories don't quite match...

The book is three sections: the aftermath of the accident in the hospital, then three months prior when the girls arrived at the mango farm, then the present. It dragged
Saira Kazmi
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant

OMG I have read millions and millions of books throughout my life and I can truly say this is the best book I've read in 5 years! The characters are so true to life and the story was brilliant, heartbreaking and so well written. I highly recommend this to ALL my family and friends.
Jane James
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am already a Sarah A Denzil fan, so nothing could stop me picking up her next offering. If I hadn’t known in advance that it was co-written with another author, I would never have guessed. At first, I was not sure it was possible for two writers to work seamlessly on the same novel without there being obvious differences in writing style and technique, but these two talented authors proved me wrong and what a ride they took me on! I can’t help but be impressed by them. Having never been to Aus ...more
Linda Dalton
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing ! Brilliant read well done Sarah and Anni ! Could not put it down you think you have worked it out ...but no! You have to go to the very end

I would definitely recommend this book I think the fact it has been a joint venture has worked very wll
Debbi Lund
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hooked from the moment I picked it up!

Excellent thriller! So many twists and turns that I didn't see coming! I immediately was attracted to the characters and the plot line. Little did I know how twisted the plot really was! I will definitely be reading more books by these two authors.
Sharon Nolan
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poison Orchids

This book is Fantastic, there is so many twist and turns you don't know who to believe. Must read to find out who is telling the truth...
Julie Powell
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of this book and I found it to be an excellent read.

It starts as a puzzle and is an intriguing mystery - what is the truth? The characters are well-developed and perfect for the story - good and bad (shudder). The plot is clever, mysterious and an enigma.

The writing style is fast-paced and easy to read and yet has wonderfully detailed descriptions that give a great sense of place...I could feel that heat.

A thoroughly enjoyable tale for those who enjoy the 'dark side' with a di
Varshasri
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5

OMG! OMG! OMG! This book totally deserves my school girl squeaks!

The story opens with a truck driver puzzling over 2 teenage girls running towards him in an Australian highway. They clearly look battered and half naked with an UGLY man trailing behind them. He swerves the truck, there is a huge explosion, the girls are saved, the truck driver is in coma and the UGLY man aka Rodney White is conveniently dead. Justice is served but it is blind nonetheless. When Megan, a psychiatrist tries to do
Pam
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poison Orchids: A darkly compelling psychological thriller was written by Sarah A. Denzil and Anni Taylor. I generally do not like thrillers but this one caught my attention at the beginning and I had to finish reading it. However, I read it in sections with a break in between as I wasn’t able to read it in one sitting. It was good and it did pull me into it psychologically.
One night, a trucker was driving his rig on a long stretch of highway in the remote Northern Territory of Australia when h
Brittany Hively
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

As soon as I saw the cover for this one and saw that it was a thriller, I wanted to read it. As soon as I opened the book, I was hooked and needed to know more. That was what kept me reading...

The characters were easy to connect with and feel for, for the most part. Told in multiple POVs, sometimes it seemed like the POV was off from the listed character, so it could be a tad confusing.

The story was a lot to take in. There were so many elements it was hard to keep up, but mostly because ther
Pat
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This book by British author Denzil was co-written with Australian author Anni Taylor. This was really, really good. Two young backpackers - Hayley and Gemma, are picked up on a highway late one night looking battered and bloody. They are taken to hospital. They appear to have escaped the clutches of a vicious man who kept them in squalid captivity. But, on being interviewed, their stories were quite inconsistent and the authorities - Senior Detective Bronwen McKay and psychologist Mega
Ted Tayler
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Twisted"

A terrific idea for a story which had more twists and turns than a switchback ride. Relating the tale through the different characters was clever because in the case of the two young girls, both were economical with the truth and the reader didn't learn the reasons for that until much later in the book. Neither did Megan. The problem with so many threads to follow things can get confusing. From about three-quarters of the way through I felt the story lost the impact it promised at the o
Gillian Nolan
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poison Orchids by Sarah A Denzil and Anni Taylor 🖤
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Backpackers Gemma and Hayley stumble upon a mango farm while travelling through Northern Australia. Soon they are found on the roadside and have no recollection of how they got there. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
So this book was pretty crazy. A completely unique and clever story that had so many crazy twists and curve balls. I enjoyed it though and found myself racing through to the end to find out what
Janelle
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really only finished this book because I wasn't interested in the story, but the writing was awful in my opinion. I will admit that part 2 was a lot easier to read then part 1, but part 3 was a drag again. The characters were just completely unbelievable and poorly developed. The deceives were terrible. The story was okay, with the proper execution it could have been very good. I really don't know what the point of the Epilogue was, felt like I missed something. Honestly, wished I never wasted ...more
Terri
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read in Daylight

Perhaps what makes this novel so frightening is the possibility that such evil exists. Or perhaps it is the protagonists mental anguish that the reader can identify with: most people can recognize the pain that comes from realizing that you have been used by someone you trusted that cuts so deep. Well written, smooth development of clues had me on the edge of my seat.
Patty
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling read.

This book will pull you in from the start and not let up. It ended nicely, but I feel there could be a kind of follow up book. Not necessarily a sequel,more like telling how one of them continued their life. Tate is the devil and doesn't care who he hurts to get what he most wants. Power! The farm is a cover for Tate so he can do what he wants without anyone learning a horrifying truth.
Perry
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this fantastic psychological thriller filled with mystery and nail biting chapters, I thoroughly enjoyed this book with lots of plot twists and fleeting jumps to character specific information that the reader needs to follow the story. Well presented and hard to put down, the result of a great collaboration between two great authors, a must read for crime and psychological readers alike.
Kailey
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Fionagh Harding
Jul 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disappointing

The book starts well enough but quickly descends into a ridiculous bending of everything to try to make the story work. I know this is a novel and it doesn't have to be true to life but it should be believable. A load of badly written nonsense. Don't waste your money.
Kelly
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm giving this book 3.5 stars.

Hayley and Gemma are found bloody and bruised on a lonely highway. What should be a simple case takes a turn when the girls stories of what happened don't match up.

Interesting storyline but I feel like there were a few loose ends that didn't really add up. When I finished reading the book I was still kind of confused as to what happened and how and why.
Debbie Smith
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Given this novel, a well deserved 5 STARS. One of those compelling page-turners you just can't put down. I found it reminiscent of Alex Garland's, "The Beach" Yes, that's how good it is. Be careful when you think you've found Utopia. All may not be as it seems... Buckle up for a roller coaster ride!

I highly recommend this book and fully intend to read more of these co-authors' novels.
Laurie Tell
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me on my toes with multiple surprises. And bonus: this was really something different that I hadn't read before. Who is lying and who is telling the truth?
Why do both girls seem confused?
I was completely caught up in this book, trying to figure out what was going on.
« previous 1 3 next »
Also writes as Anya Allyn
“Everything at the party seemed to slide and smudge together. The driving beat of the music, people dancing, and the constantly changing light show of the pool. Body heat, sweat and perfume, and the sweet smell of mangoes saturated the air. Everyone who was wading in the in-ground pool—which stretched from indoors into the outdoors—was being baptised in the intoxicating elixir that was Tate’s farm.” 0 likes
“She let the petals drop through her fingers. “People romanticise stars. They’re just hot-as-hell suns. Not centaurs. Not twinkling little jewels to wish upon. Just suns.” 0 likes