Start by marking “Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)” as Want to Read:
Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)

Smoke Bitten

(Mercy Thompson #12)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  19,009 ratings  ·  2,057 reviews
Published March 17th 2020 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Smoke Bitten, please sign up.
Michael The $13.99 price is for the Kindle version. The hardcover is $19.60.

The $13.99 price is for the Kindle version. The hardcover is $19.60.

Normally, that would price me out of preordering the Kindle book, but Ms. Briggs is one of my favorite authors and I have been following the Mercy Thompson series for years now, so I bit the bullet and preordered a copy. (less)
Chouchouna This is the most current in the series. Please, don't use the word last :) I want more of Mercy's crew. Not ready to end it yet. Do what you need to. …moreThis is the most current in the series. Please, don't use the word last :) I want more of Mercy's crew. Not ready to end it yet. Do what you need to. Waiting build the anticipation. I had mine sit for weeks before I started it. (less)

·  19,009 ratings  ·  2,057 reviews

Start your review of Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
Corina
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smoke Bitten, was exactly what I needed. Not only was it a story that engaged and captivated me, it also allowed me to leave RL behind and enjoy the world of Mercy Thompson to the fullest.

I’m always fascinated when authors change the status quo. Things I thought were settled and well adjusted, are now on its head. For any Mercy Thompson fan, this book is shaking things up.

What I love about this series the most is that Mercy is still very much her own person. Although she found her place in Adam’
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
On sale now! 3.75 stars for this twelfth book in the UF Mercy Thompson series, and that's not counting the five closely-related Alpha and Omega books. :) Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Fresh off her clash with black witches in Storm Cursed, Mercy Thompson — the coyote shapeshifter and Volkswagen mechanic whose urban fantasy series follows her adventures with vampires, werewolves, fae, witches and various monsters — is fretting about the distance that has built up between her an
KP
May 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
There is a TWELFTH Book!!! 😭😭❤️❤️ I'm just so damn happy!! I've gotten so used to a new Mercy book every year for the past few years and I simply don't want this awesomeness to end. These books are like warm, gooey Chocolatey Brownies!
Jilly
Ugh, the apocalypse sucks! Is anyone else actually getting LESS reading time? And this is the early part of the apocalypse. I am just saying right now that if running for our lives becomes a thing, I'm out. That's enough already. Sheesh!

On the other hand.... if things go this way, I'm all in, baby!

By the way, if anyone needs advice on homeschooling, send me a message. I homeschooled my ADHD kid and my dyslexic kid for 12 years. They actually made it into college and are normal human beings and e
Anne
Hmmm.
Ok, well. I definitely like this one better than the last one, but I'm starting to think I'm just not as into Mercy as I used to be.
It's another good installment, and all hands are on deck to save the day! <--nothing wrong with any of that.

description

I just think I'd rather read about the other characters besides Mercy & Adam. For some reason, I just don't really care about them or their relationship anymore.
I would LOVE to read a series about Bran! Or Stefan! Wolf! Even Jessie & Tad.
But Mercy & Ada
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4.5/5 stars] Smoke Bitten was superb!

The plot was very engaging, involving the mystery of a body-snatching Smoke Creature, who’s identity I actually figured out around the same time as the main character. Go me!! But more importantly, I love it when books can get you involved in solving things out of your own volition. I’m a huge fan of Patricia Briggs. I’ve been following the Mercy Thompson/Alpha & Omega books almost from the start, and the saga is a strong favorite. That said, I was let down
Holly
This may be a bit of overall-series-plot-arc-filler, but I don't even care because I still enjoyed the escapism of it. I mean, I may be shut in my house for the forseeable future trying to work and suddenly homeschool my two children at the same time, but at least I am not being attacked by a smoke monster while dealing with magical marital bond issues? Silver linings people, silver linings. Werewolf pun not intended.

Christy
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

12 Mercy Thompson books and they never get old. I love this series and these characters so much. Smoke Bitten is a great addition to the series.

If there’s one thing you can guarantee with this series, it’s that trouble always seems to find Mercy. This time, trouble comes in the form of a creature that can bite someone and control them. Mercy may be immune to these things, but the people she loves are not. On top of that, there is a new pack of werewolves in town, Adam and Mercy are hav
Magan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1/08/19

No Lie every time a new book comes out I worry it will be the last, THIS SERIES IS NOT ALLOWED TO END
Sheyla ✎

What are you?”

“Chaos,”

Patricia Briggs never ceases to amaze me. Her world-building is extraordinary. She keeps on bringing new spectacular characters into the fold.

In Smoke Bitten, there are a few things that are going wrong in the Mercyverse.

For starters:

-A new being is trying to kill Mercy (nothing new there, right?).

-A pack of werewolves is trying to take over Adam's territory.

-Wulfe decides to tell Mercy something she doesn't want to hear.

-Last but not least, Adam and Mercy's mate
Rachel Reads Ravenously
5 stars!!

This is the first book during the Covid19 pandemic that I was able to pick up and completely escape into. I’m not at all surprised, Briggs is a master of storytelling. In these dark times, reading this book was like being able to visit with old friends again. I was so happy to be amongst Mercy and the Pack, and all the characters we have grown to love over the years. I loved it, the perfect escape. And if you haven’t read this series, now is the time to start!

And seriously, how has th
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
You know when a story is good when it is impossible to put it down. When you devour it in a day and are left satisfied, but always wanting more.

This series is so outstanding, so well written and just darn real feeling. The characters, the story line, the emotions that pull on every heart string imaginable. It is fantasy yes but so well done that you feel completely immersed in the story and when you are done, having to slowly blink your way back into reality, even then, you find it hard to belie
Obsidian
description

Wow. Never has a series fallen like this for me before.The Mercy Thompson series is just a lot of filler and rehashing of older story-lines and the Alpha & Omega series...woo boy just go read up on the last book, fans are still reeling from that mess.

The newest Mercy book had too much going on (fae on a rampage, lone wolves kidnapping and setting up to take over the Pack, Aurielle and Christy BS (again), Jesse and her relationship/future, people close to Mercy in danger again, Adam and Mercy's r
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I loved this book! I have to admit that I am a giant fan of this series. These are books that I can read over and over without ever growing tired of them. When someone asks me for book recommendations, this series is at the top of my list. I went into this book with really high expectations and they were all met. I enjoyed every moment I spent reading this book.

Mercy always seems to have a lot of things going on in her life and thin
Emma
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Some great moments but marred by subpar writing and painful repetition.
Desi
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Can I just say how much I absolutely detest manufactured conflict? Fake problems inserted into a stable couple because the author has no idea what to do now for a plot?

Things that would be addressed by a simple conversation that a couple, prior to said hand from above inserting itself, would have discussed and faced together.

Also if you're gonna give your characters magical mental pathways into each others minds you can't just conveniently flip an off switch and say one of them can 100% shut it
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Something has escaped from Underhill. Something with the power to assume control over anything with a single bite—and then take their form. It's up to Mercy to stop it, before it can kill anything else.

3.5 stars, rounded down—and I'm kinda sobbing to be admitting that I didn't love a Mercy Thompson book nearly as much as the rest of the series.

After the stunning previous two installations, this felt more like filler for a Big Showdown of Something.

The set-up for a Later Thing:

-Underhill establi
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and Berkeley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Dearest Richard, brace thyself for ecstatic warbling.

Relationship woes affect even the best of us, especially when each of us brings our baggage from the past into the present, and Mercy and Adam are no exception. Of course, when you throw a bunch of supernatural into the mix, you have to expect a lot of hard to go along with the easy.

Also, it's really hard to deal with personal things when p
Ginger
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2020
This is a very good addition to the Mercy Thompson series!

Smoke Bitten is the 12th book in the series and should not be read without reading the other books. There's too many past plot points in this book along with trying to understand the motives of the characters.

Smoke Bitten has about a gazillion plots going on in this book but Patricia Briggs finds a way to bring them all together at the end.
I think I would have rated this higher if it was a bit more streamlined into just 1-2 plots...
BUT, I
☕️Kimberly
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Mercy. She is such a unique character and even though she married the Alpha; she continues to be herself. So much happens in Smoke Bitten I am already itching to do a reread!

The tale begins with a bang. We’ve got an issue with the pack, thanks to Adam’s ex, and an unwanted door 🚪 has appeared in their backyard. Worse, it looks like something nasty has escaped. It’s fae, but nothing Mercy and the others have ever smelled. It was freaking fascinating and not something I’d mess with. Briggs
♥Rachel♥
Re-read May 17th 2020 with the hubby by audio. He's a big fan of Mercy Thompson, too!

The new badie in town is a creature that can take over the will of another with a bite. Also,there's some trouble with Wulfe, apparently after-effects from the last story, making Mercy a focus for him, and there's another set of werewolves stirring trouble for the Pack. Add to all of that, there's some unease between Mercy and Adam, and that's what concerned me the most.

I paused my re-read of past books to read
Kat
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking forward to this book forever and it didn’t disappoint. Mercy and Adam’s marriage is in a rough spot after the events of the previous book. And there is no clear explanation why. Pack politics come into play (with some GREAT scenes) and of course everyone’s favorite nemesis… Christy. Mwah ha ha. But of course there’s more going on in the tri cities area. Murders are being committed and there’s the scent of magic at the crime scene. But which supernatural being is involved this ...more
Jen Davis
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I never get tired of returning to the world of Mercy Thompson. Jumping into this latest installment was like sinking into a favorite chair--it's comfortable, fits just right, and makes you want to relax and stay awhile.

We're dealing with the aftermath of the last book's showdown with the witches, and there's trouble between Mercy and Adam...again. Christy rears her ugly head for some initial tension in the pack, but it's only a precursor for the larger issues brewing between our heroine and her
TJ
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
As always, Ms. Briggs creates a fabulous installment to one of my most beloved series. The weird “otherness” where gemstones and flowers pop out of Mercy’s mouth and help her fight evil isn’t really my cuppa at all, so I couldn’t rate this one an absolute favorite...
BUT, the relationship between Mercy and Adam is stronger than it has ever been through what they go through in this book. They have to fight for their love in very unexpected ways that brings them into a more honest and rock-solid p
Justine
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
After a bit of a rough patch with Storm Cursed, it feels like things are back on track in Smoke Bitten.

There were a lot of things going on in this book, many of which had their genesis in previous ones. However, the picking up of old threads and weaving in new elements is what gives the series as a whole richness and depth. We are continually learning more about the characters and their world even as they learn these things themselves.

I like that while Mercy and Adam have a very strong relation
Woman Reading
3 ☆ - the honeymoon is over

Smoke Bitten may be book #12 in the Mercy Thompson series, but in the Mercy universe, this is actually book #17. As much as I like Mercy as the main protagonist, the series is becoming tired in the creativity aspect.

My reaction to this installment primarily stems from my desire for consistency of world building in my urban fantasies. This often means that I don't like it when the heroes gain new special abilities as easily as shopping for food in a supermarket. Mercy
Annie

A lot of interesting things are happening in book twelve of the Mercy Thompson series. With SMOKE BITTEN, one of the most worrying things about this book is the fact that Mercy and Adam are experiencing some marital problems. Because I’ve been a fan of this series from the very first book, this worries me. I’m a Romance author and when I see authors tinkering around with a happily-ever-after, I get kind of nervous. But I’m hoping that Briggs has a better plan in mind for her characters rath
Soo
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

Well, I was super excited for this release but not thrilled by the content. Transitional piece that didn't really add much to the plot or characters.
Karla
Mar 22, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a dud - which I really didn't anticipate, because I love the Mercy Thompson series. I have grown to expect a lot from Patricia Briggs and am all the more disappointed.

It starts with Christie-related chaos and unfairness, and Mercy feeling insecure and hurt and unloved. Oh dear, not again - didn't we solve those relationship issues REPEATEDLY in the previous books?

When Mercy started gathering information about the smoke-weaver's identity, my first thought was, Come on, she can't be t
Lucia
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Mercy Thompson books are always a safe bet for me. Whenever I pick one, I can count on engaging plotline, plenty of action, awesome pack dynamics and heroine that NEVER gets on my nerves.

This 12th installment is no exception and it makes Smoke Bitten one of the best books in this series. Most importantly, Patricia Briggs managed to bring believable angst between our main duo without making it look cheap or forced. I loved that and it kept me on the edge of my seat and I read this book in one sit

• Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Pumpkin Spice Peril (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #12)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Beach Read
  • Suspicion (Private, #10)
  • Private (Private, #1)
  • Deal with the Devil (Mercenary Librarians, #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Dance Away with Me
  • American Demon (The Hollows, #14)
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • The Clean Plate: Eat, Reset, Heal
  • An Origin of Vampires (A Shade of Vampire #78)
  • The Wicked Redhead (Wicked City, #2)
  • Sophia, Princess Among Beasts
  • Something to Talk About
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • I Wrote This for You and Only You (I Wrote This For You #3)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana, to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a n

Mercy Thompson (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)