Start by marking “The Trouble With Witches (Shadowvale, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Trouble With Witches (Shadowvale, #1)

The Trouble With Witches

(Shadowvale #1)

Shadowvale isn’t typical small town America. The sun never shines, the gates decide who enters, magic abounds, and every resident bears some kind of curse.

No one knows this as well as raven shifter Deacon Evermore, who, like everyone in his family, has a curse. While his position as Shadowvale’s peacekeeper lets him use that curse for good, he’d rather live anywhere else.
Published May 13th 2019 by Sugar Skull Books

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble With Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble With Witches

Madison Warner Fairbanks
The Trouble With Witches by Kristen Painter

Shadowvale is a secluded and magically created town that never gets any real sunlight. A town fill with all kinds of paranormal creatures as well as Cursed humans. Emeranth arrives, hoping Aunt Amelia will let her stay while Em gets back on her feet.

I enjoyed reading about this town and it’s inhabitants. Painter has done a paranormal town before but this one is more secluded and while it has a bit of humor in the characters, it has a more serious tone
Myriam
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kristen-painter
This was a beautiful story about new beginnings and the author proves once again why she is the queen of cosy paranormal romance. She brings an interesting new place for readers to fall in love it and a sweet clean romance suitable for everyone.
There is so much world building in this book. Shadowvale is simply amazing in its size, peculiar features, and its inhabitants. There is a lot of magic and unusual occurrences. The characters are wonderful, lovable, and so well developed, they feel like g
Kristine (A Cozy Booknook)
This is a great, imaginative, start to a new series. The author quickly drew me in and had me wanting to know what was going to happen next. I was left wanting more and look forward to reading what happens next.
AletheaO
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of Kristen Painter's Nocturne Falls series, I’ve been really looking forward to a whole new series from this imaginative world creator. Where Nocturne Falls is a celebratory party 365 days a year, welcoming all who come there, charming even the reluctant, Shadowvale by contrast is literally a town that pushes you away. Only in Painter’s talented hands could a place that lives under a curse, a town that literally tries to keep you out of it, a heroine with a shady past, a grumpy male lov ...more
Melanie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Followers of my reviews will know that I am a huge Kristen Painter fan, and as such I couldn't wait to get my hands on this new series!

If you are new to Kristen Painter this is a great place to start. This is the first in a totally new series set in "Shadowvale" - a haven for the cursed, both supernatural and human, that you can only find if the town deems you need to be there. Yes you read that correctly - THE TOWN decides - as in the town is sort of alive, which is fun and different.

It has al
Sally906
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, kobo, paranormal
First in a new series - Shadowvale is a magical town full of paranormal characters and permanent gloom. The town can’t be found on any map, and the only people who the town lets in are usually cursed.

Don’t let that turn you off though - this is one town I’d like to live in - the characters all have curses, and some are downright dangerous - but there is laughter, respect and mateship among the inhabitants.

Em is a main character with a secret shady past and a desire to escape her current life an
Lisa
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is now my favorite series of Kristen Painter’s. Now I want Jayne Frost to visit Shadowvale lol. I loved all the characters. I want to know more about the mysterious tiger, Thoreau. Hope the next book will be coming soon. The MC Em really went through a lot in life. Her past is chasing her everywhere she goes. Will she find peace at her aunt’s, whom she’s never met? Little does she know, this isn’t a normal town. And she has lived her whole life not knowing she is an actual witch. Shadowvale ...more
Denise Snider
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of the Shadowvale series. It features Em, who comes to Shadowvale to restart her life. Em seeks out her aunt, who she finds out is a witch. Em learns that she comes from a line of powerful witches and asks her aunt to teach her. Meanwhile, her aunt enlists the town peacekeeper to show Em the more seedy population of the town in order to detour her from moving in. The plan backfires and Em and Deacon end up falling for each other, making Em want to stay in Shadowvale even m ...more
Kyle
May 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rushed plot, too prescriptive

Girl has troubles, girl meets boy, relationship problems, boy saves the day. The town has some interest, but everything else is just blah. I like Painter's other books but this is definitely one to pass. Or even return.
Christine Lee
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Trouble With Witch’s is Kristen Painter’s first entry in her latest series. Shadowvale is a hidden town where people with differences, curses, or other special abilities can live relatively normal lives where they aren’t hunted or stared at.

Emeranthe Greer was raised by a conniving opportunistic woman who always looked out for number one: herself. Often to the detriment of her own daughter. When Em’s mother is finally put in prison for her various crimes, Em takes it for an opportunity to e
Angel Ortega
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great new series! I frantically gobbled my way through the book, determined to get far enough to find the answers to the questions I had. The author did a great job of leading the reader along, dropping hints and answers to the questions in the reader's mind but still stringing them along until the full reveal. Can't wait to read the next story!
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
8Really enjoyed this book. The new setting is interesting. I love the idea behind the town and what it has turned into, but no sun, could be tough. I love the people in the town: Becker, Amelia, Thoreau, etc. Looking forward to finding out more about the town in future books.
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-z-challenge
Loved this book! It is the first in a new series Em and deacon are well written characters shadowval is a special town providing sanctuary to many types of supernatural s and cursed people good storyline kept me interested throughout really looking forward to reading more in this series should be fun
Heidi
The Trouble With Witches is the first book in a new paranormal romance series by Kristen Painter. As the first in the series, you will not need to have read anything by Kristen Painter previously to enjoy this book.

The story is somewhat unique in the paranormal universe as unlike with Kristen's (and other author's) Towns that masquerade as one thing to hide the existence of the paranormals who live there, Shadowvale is completely hidden from the human world. The town calls those who need a safe
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book; this is book 1 in the Trouble With Witches series written by Kristen Painter. This is a great new series by one of my favorite authors. Shadowvale is a secret town that is made with magic and will only allow supernatural to enter. Emeranth (Em) Greer has had a rough life with her mother, her mother has been sent to prison so Em sets out to meet her aunt who she has never met and to hopefully start fresh in a new town. Em’s aunt Amelia is determined to chase Em out of town b ...more
Niken Widyastuti
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A whole new universe (well, town really) from Kristen Painter. Her Nocturne Falls town was a Halloween celebratory town that serve purpose to mask the residents’ true nature. Here in Shadowvale, a complete recluse town, filled with those bearing curse in one form or another. The town filled with magic and decided who could stay and who could leave.

A darker tone was set here, compare to Nocturne Falls. The characters were shadier, specially our heroine. I loved it though! Ms. Painter ability to p
Hsu Lee
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily offered to review this book with no obligations and my opinions are honest!
It was a great introduction to the new series !
To the outside world, Shadowvale is clouded in mystery.
To the residents, Shadowvale is their home.
It was created as a safe haven for the supernatural, but it came at a cost.
Emeranth "Em" is coming to Shadowvale for a second chance.
Deacon was hired by Em's aunt to discourage Em to stay in Shadowvale.
Deacon is trying to scare Em in leaving, but Em is made of much
Miranda Beazley
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A town hidden in plain sight. A town where the suns rays never touch. Shadowvale is an intriguing town to live in, at least that’s what its newest member thinks anyway. Emeranth is looking for a new place to start over, find her feet and move out from under her mother’s thumb. But Deacon is hired to try and change her mind, show her the negative side of things. Neither one bargained on the attraction, or each other’s stubbornness.

A wonderful first book in a brand new series by Kristen Painter. I
Michael D. Kanner
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Much awaited, Kristen Painter finally gives us a new series to drool over.

Okay, for those that say it is nothing more than genre fiction. OF COURSE, IT IS! That is what I (and what her very active FB page shows) her fans want.

Is it similar to Nocturne Falls? Probably, who cares. I read every one of those and wanted more.

Does it ignore the controversies of today? Yes, which is why I love it. Okay, not entirely fair, let's just say it doesn't beat you over the head with the simple message of - E
Lisa Guertin
Quirky, Fun read

This is the first book in a delightfully quirky new series by Kristen Painter. Emeranth Greer is barely holding on and pins her hopes for a better future on an aunt she’s never met who lives in a very odd town. Deacon Evermore is tasked with showing her around the town with a definite ulterior motive. Their paths take some twists and turns before finally lead to their HEA. Along the way we meet many interesting and oddball characters. I look forward to more books in this series.
Dana Whyte
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is there anything that Kristen Painter can’t write? I love this debut novel about Shadowvale! Kristen’s world (town) building is amazing and always makes me want to visit! I would love a crossover to see Nocturne and Shadowvale worlds collide! I love Kristen’s characters they seem so real, she makes me want to hang out with most of them! I can’t wait for the next boom the the series! I hope it is soon!
David  Vise
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Written in a similar style to Kristen's Nocturne Falls series this first Shadowvale story is a well written easy to read introduction to the town and some of it's inhabitants. Creating engaging characters and interesting locations has always been one of Kristen's strongpoints and this release doesn't disappoint with it's cast and locales. It should appeal to readers who were fans of her previous series as well as those PNR fans looking for something new to read.
Samantha Castillo
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!

I have read her entire Nocturne Falls series multiple times and I saw that a new series was coming out and I had to read it at once. I spent the day reading the whole book (on and off) and was not disappointed!!! This book reminded me of Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series. Once again Painter has created a world that anyone who loves all things supernatural I highly encourage you to read this book!
Mary Kearney
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really good story

I really enjoyed this book. I will say the first chapter was a little slow, but having read several of this author's books, I kept on and it was well worth it. The story line was unusual, the pace was good and the characters were interesting and believable. I can't wait for the second book.
Kyle
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start for a new series

Kristen Painter fans will not be disappointed with this first book in the Shadowvale series. Just like Nocturne Falls we have all the right elements: romance, mystery great lead characters and wonderfully detailed minor characters as well as so many clever touches that promise to make this a long and thoroughly enjoyable series. Highly recommended.
Suzan
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it promises to be an amazing new series from Kristen Painter. I love the characters and I'm intrigued with the town in the book and look forward to discovering more of it's secrets.
Billie L.Tripp
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kristen Painter is a good read.

I have read all of her Nocturne Falls books and her Sin City books. This author writes great, entertaining, and imaginative stories. This series promises to be her best yet.
Kim
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book~ I gobbled this one right up. So excited to see a new series by one of my favorite authors. Kristen did not disappoint. Now we just need Jayne and the Nocturnal Falls gang to all visit here as well. I can't wait to see whatelse is in store for the inhabitants of Shadowvale.
Jennifer Lockett
Another wonderful book

I love Kirsten Painter's books and this one did not disappoint at all, welcome to Shadowvale where the weather is gloomy and adventure awaits that's if the gates decide to let you in.
Jennifer Lowrance
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the wonderful characters and the story line was so different than anything I’ve ever read. Did I mention how much I loved this book?! As usual, Kristen Painter adds enough details to paint an awesome picture, but not so much that it puts you to sleep. I honestly can not wait for the next book to come out! Awesome doesn't even begin to describe how great this story is!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kristen Painter likes to balance her obsessions with shoes and cats by making the lives of her characters miserable and surprising her readers with interesting twists. She currently writes award-winning paranormal romance and cozy mysteries. The former college English teacher can often be found on twitter @Kristen_Painter, Facebook at www.facebook.com/KristenPainterAuthor where she loves to intera ...more

Shadowvale (2 books)
  • The Vampire's Cursed Kiss (Shadowvale, #2)