Start by marking “One Summer in Little Penhaven” as Want to Read:
One Summer in Little Penhaven

One Summer in Little Penhaven

Could one summer change your life?

When high-flying American lawyer Samantha Muir finds out she’s lost her partnership whilst on an assignment in London, she has a dramatic reaction.
Rather than returning home, she resigns, leaves her business suits behind and jumps on the first train to Cornwall at the encouragement of a friendly stranger.
The village of Little Penhaven, w
Published May 21st 2019 by Choc Lit

To ask other readers questions about One Summer in Little Penhaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Summer in Little Penhaven

Julie
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
One Summer in Little Penhaven by Angela Britnell is a 2019 Choc Lit publication.

A very satisfying story!

Samantha is passed over for a partnership in her law firm. Burnt out and beyond angry, she makes an impulsive, on the spot decision. She turns in her resignation, hops on a train to Cornwall, where she eventually lands in Little Penhaven. Upon her arrival, she meets Caden Day, a man with a bad reputation.

But, the more she gets to know him, the more she is convinced he’s a good guy carrying a
Dash fan
5☆ Endearing and Heart Warming Contemporary Romance

Sam has worked so hard to get to where she is and is expecting to be made a Partner in the company she works for.
Only to be dealt a devastating blow in a public place.

Sam is devastated and fed up.
So instead of jumping on a plane and travelling back home to lick her wounds.
She types up a resignation letter, packs her bags and heads off to the train station.

With no destination in mind, fate bring her together with a stranger.
Jenny invites Sam to
Kirsty ❤️
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Angela's Tennessee to Cornwall/vice versa romances and this one is no exception.  I always end the books wanting to book a trip to whichever direction she has sent her characters; this time Penhaven near Newquay. As usual wonderfully drawn characters that you instantly fall in love with. This time we have four of them as Cadan's little brother Jory and his wife Fliss have excellent supporting roles.

There's a little bit of mystery and modern day Cornish smuggling and I'm sure most of us ca
Els
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s that time of the year again. The days are a lot longer, the sun is visiting us more and more and people are planning their holidays. Holidays is synonym for more reading if you are an avid reader and that of course means scoring a big pile of books to enjoy whether you will have a staycation or going to some exotic beach.

This one is one I would certainly put on that list. It has everything a romantic story needs and if you are in for a bit of laughther, you can find it as well.

Sadly romance
Yvonne
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sam Muir is beyond disappointed when she doesn’t get the partnership she spent the last 10 years working towards. She kind of goes off in a huff and catches the first train to anywhere, it just so happens she ends up in Cornwall. She meets locals who make her feel welcome Oh and also warn her off local bad boy Caden Day!

I soon realised within a few chapters that this author knows Cornwall, she had me sniggering at the infamous tale-backs during the holiday season, and frowning at the second home
Anne
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Every so often (ok, maybe very often, life’s been a bit like that recently!) there’s nothing I enjoy more than a lighter romance to escape into for an afternoon, and this book was everything I wanted it to be.

A Tennessee lawyer escaping from life and its disappointments, the attraction of a Cornish bad boy (or might he just be misunderstood?), their complicated and chaotic families, a village setting overflowing with the kind of quirky characters I love, a touch of crime and some well-timed Krav
Yvonne Greene
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd novel I've read by this author and they all share 2 things in common - a great story and characters you really care about. This novel is set in a small village in Cornwall.

The first question is why is Cadan treated as an outcast from his hometown? What could a Cornishman have in common with a high flying lawyer from Tennesse? Throw in Cadan's super laidback surfer brother (with secrets of his own) and you have a fabulous story.

Highly recommend! You won't want to put it down!
Karen Mace
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There’s just something about the way that Angela writes that has a real warmth about it, and I adored this story of Samantha who sees her way of life change overnight all down to a chance meeting with someone at a train station, and it was wonderful to follow her journey and bounce back after being dealt a huge blow to her career as a high flying lawyer.

She hears that she’s lost out on the promotion she’d been dreaming of while in London and feels so despondent, but a conversation with a strange
Elaine
Sometimes fate seems to intervene to steer characters to their HEA and that's certainly the case in this delightful romance!

American lawyer, Samantha Muir, is over in London with her boss and a colleague. When the boss takes them out for a celebratory meal, Sam assumes she's about to be offered the partnership she's worked so hard for, so when it is given to her colleague instead Sam is beyond rebellious! She goes back to her hotel room, emails her resignation with immediate effect, packs and he
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
After reading Christmas at the Black Cherry Retreat last year there was no way I was going to miss out on the chance to join the tour for One Summer in Little Penhaven and I wasn't disappointed.

Angela Britnell has a knack for creating wonderful main protagonists who bury their way into your heart and cling there forever more.  Sam and Caden were obviously written with such love and care and were given an endearing vulnerability that most of us can identify with in reality.  Of course it helps
booksofallkinds
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from the tour organiser

Enjoyable and with a beautiful setting, ONE SUMMER IN LITTLE PENHAVEN by Angela Britnell is a must-read this summer for all contemporary fiction/romance fans.

Samantha has done everything possible to make her way up the career ladder and when she doesn't make partner while on a work trip in London, she has had enough. Resigning on the spot, Samantha decides she needs some spontaneity in her life and hops on a train to Cornwall after talking
Grace J Reviewerlady
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fabulous book set in the gorgeous Cornish countryside - what's not to like?

Samantha Muir is a high-flying corporate lawyer. Working in London on a case, she is sure her long promised partnership is about to come to fruition; however when it goes to another, she decides enough is enough and resigns. Deciding to see something of the UK, she bumps into a friendly stranger who persuades her to give Cornwall a whirl. The small village is a hive of local gossip, and Cadan Day seems to be on the wron
Louise
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angela Britnell is a new author for me and when I saw that beautiful chocolate box cottage on the cover of One Summer in Little Penhaven I really wanted to find out about the little Cornish village and its residents.

Sam is a visitor to Little Penhaven, she originates from Tennessee in the United States. When a huge career move fails to take place she finds herself on a London railway platform not knowing what to do next. A friendly stranger starts chatting to Sam and before she knows it, they ar
Isabelle D
When one of the main characters of a romance comes from Tennessee and the other from Cornwall, you know you're in one of Angela Britnell's books. ;) This time, everyone in Little Penhaven seems to dislike Cadan but Sam, the American heroine freshly arrived in Cornwall, decides to give him the benefit of the doubt (NOT only because he's an attractive man... but that must play into it). I enjoyed finding out what happened (first what the neighbours believed, then what they didn't know), and the su ...more
Ruth
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great book. Reading this is a way to lose yourself in a fictional world.
Sam has worked for ten long years in her aim to gaining partnership in her legal firm, then discovers, while in London for business, that another employee was appointed her long coveted position.
In a fury of the unfairness, Sam chucks her job and, without knowing the destination, buys a ticket for the first train departing from the closest railway station. A fellow passenger befriends Sam on the journey to Cornwall a
Marianne
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
One Summer in Little Penhaven has two strong central characters and a cast of supporting friends and relatives who all add to its sense of community. Of course at times, that community seems to turn against some and it isn't the chocolate box Cornish village you usually expect. However, it has bags of personality and the fact that some prefer it is a clue to what makes some people tick. It tells you they don't follow the crowd and can see below the surface.

This is a book about starting again a
Lisa
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Sam misses out on the partnership she has been slogging her guts out for 10 long years to a male colleague, she leaves the celebratory lunch and emails her resignation. Left reeling by this unexpected turn of events and not wanting to break the news to her disappointed family she packs a bag and hops on the train that will take her furthest away... and so her Cornish adventure begins!

This a thoroughly enjoyable read you can easily get lost in, Little Penhaven is a hive of secrets, drama an
Isobel McIlwraith
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fellow Angela Britnell fan (What happens in Nashville was one of my first Choc Lit purchases) you will know that she excels at putting people in new places and seeing how they cope. Sam, the heroine of One Summer in Little Penhaven, copes by turning to Crunchie bars...
There are several threads to this story. The hero has suffered a sad loss and has a local reputation as the bad guy in his divorce. His brother is keeping dangerous company, again, with a new wife to look after and no
Anne
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Sam loses out on promotion, she decides to escape to Cornwall for a while to consider her future. Little Penhaven is a tight knit community, but they take the stranger to heart, even warning her off the local ‘bad man’ Cadan. But there is an instant attraction and much more to Sam, than just a high-flying lawyer, she is quite used to doing her own D-I-Y for a start. Cadan has his own issues with family and knows the village’s gossip about him isn’t complimentary, but he finds something very ...more
Gill
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, found it easy to read and would happily recommend it to others. The heroine is feisty and the hero is gorgeous, with a bit of an extra story to the plot, what’s not to like?
Sam (antha) is an American who throws up her job as a corporate lawyer whilst in London and ends up in Cornwall by chance. Local guy Cadan is emotionally damaged and suffering animosity from the villagers for the lies spread by his ex wife. Their attraction is immediate but of course they have to jump thr
Kelly
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely read that would be perfect to add to your holiday reading pile.

Sam is a brilliantly vibrant character with lots of sass that you will instantly fall in love with when she stumbles upon Little Penhaven. This is my first book by Angela Britnell and I really enjoyed the characters she created and the way in which the story was told. It was a heartwarming story that touched on emotional subjects as Sam finds more than she bargained for in Little Penhaven.

This book made me laugh th
Barbara
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This long book keeps you guessing and entertained. When Samantha (Sam) doesn't get the promotion she is expecting it changes her life in all directions. The setting of Cornwall is well portrayed and the small village of Little Penhaven believable, as are its inhabitants. The author plays on their merits and weaknesses without being at all demeaning.
The story between Sam and Cadon is a difficult relation but, again, is well written and you feel great sympathy with them both. Cadon is a misunders
Carol Thomas
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read One Summer in Little Penhaven on holiday and it was a real treat. All of the characters are wonderfully brought to life as they draw you into their world and individual stories. Caden was a great male lead with depth and plenty of swoon appeal, and I enjoyed following Sam as she adjusted to the sudden changes in her life. She is a likeable, strong female lead who knows her own mind.

This was a heartwarming story, set in a community I was more than happy to escape into. A fab holiday read!
Joanna Lambert
Jun 28, 2019
Ben
Jun 23, 2019

Find me on Facebook.

I was born in the beautiful county of Cornwall in southwestern England and grew up in a small village there. I return frequently to visit family and friends but especially to savor the cool rainy weather and hot tea. After school I joined the Royal Navy and served for nearly six years. I held varying jobs from being the only woman in the staff of a sports center to arranging so