Start by marking “Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: (Vermilion Life Essentials)” as Want to Read:
Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: (Vermilion Life Essentials)

Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: (Vermilion Life Essentials)

What are you afraid of – and how is it holding you back?

The phenomenal classic on moving from a place of paralysis, pain and indecision to one of energy, enthusiasm and action

Whatever your anxieties, Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway can teach you how to handle what life throws at you, allowing you to take control, move forwards and live the life you want.

First published over
Published August 8th 2019 by Vermilion (first published 1987)

Start your review of Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: (Vermilion Life Essentials)
Katya Kean
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I was afraid to leave this review, but I did it anyway. Kidding.

Really, though, this book is probably really important for some people. Women, especially. Women leaving relationships, I'd imagine. The first two chapters are pretty neat. They highlight an important truth that you can't wait for the fear to go away before you do something.

I know that this book influenced a lot of other books I've liked.

The 3 stars instead of 4 or 5 is partially because of sentences like these:
[This] "Higher Self
Tommy
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girlfriend in grad school gave me this book, shortly before we parted ways, in fact. It was a real eye-opener to me that I lived much of my life hovering around the perimeter of the pool rather than jumping in with both feet.

Most eye-opening for me, though, was it was the first time I had been taught that fear was fine - embrace it, don't dodge it. Then, walk through the fire anyway.

I'm not saying I turned into Russell Crowe from "Gladiator" because of it. I'm still more Woody Allen from
Greg Stearns
The book starts off with a pretty decent premise which is entirely summed up in the title.

Things will always be scary until you master them, then there will be something new to be afraid of so instead of eliminating your fear you should be working on pushing through. There are some decent ideas and suggestions in the first couple chapters, but it goes downhill for the rest of the book.

Between the constant ads for her other products (Inspirational Audios, books of affirmations, etc) and the
Rori Rockman
Man. How do you rate a book that steadily devolves from five stars down to one star?

This starts out as a five star book. The first few chapters of this book have probably altered my world view permanently. Here's the gist of what really hit home for me:

At the heart of every fear we have is one single fear: "I can't handle it." This is an absolute revelation, at least to me, because it means that there is one reliable (though still not easy) formula to be used for overcoming fear: convince
Jj873
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to feel that they control their life, it doesn't control them.
Recommended to Jj873 by: random find by my mom
Having lived most of my life with debilitating Panic Disorder (google it if you're curious) this book has done more to put me in charge of my life than all the years of medications, therapy, and all the other self-help books I've read combined.
I encountered this book at the worst point in my mental health struggle (being nearly housebound by agoraphobia - again, google if needed) and truly found it to be a sanity saver!
If it has helped me pull myself back from the brink of desolation too deep
Ladan
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Neglecting all the ads and promises, the first chapters were helpful in making some self-improvement. The last two chapters are enough to put the book in a sci-fi category, I suffered scanning them.
Moira
"Should be required reading for every person who can read," says Jack Canfield (author of Chicken Soup for the Soul) and I concur. Jeffers has a PhD in Psychology, and her book is full of inspiring calls to action and powerful, accessible techniques to help one take charge of one's life. There are many practical, simple (although not necessarily easy) things one can do to confront fear. Jeffers suggests ways to take small steps, and then what was scary isn't as much, as you gain experience.
Alexandra
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading this book 2 weeks ago, and feel compelled to review it.

A few short months ago i took the steps needed to change my life for the better. I was not happy living how i was, i hated my body, i hated myself, all because i was scared of the truth. That truth is that i am transgender.

I admitted to myself that i needed to seek medical help, to rectify my situation, which includes taking hormones and having gender reassignment surgery in the future. I went to the doctor in december
Lucinda
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational

The only way to conquer fear is to face it!

In life, we encounter many trials and tribulations (these may be internal or literal realities) yet the only way to overcome our struggles is to be ‘a tryer’ and try until you overcome the obstacle. There is never a more perfect time than when you’re broken and hit rock bottom, than to give it a crack [uncertain and expectant of failure] is the only way.

Whilst reading this illuminating, informative book I thought about – how everyone seems to judge
Tilda
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd call it a bag of pebbles and pearls. Some stuff a bit overly simplistic and unrealistic, but some real pearls of wisdom as well. It goes beyond the subject of "fear" and encourages a positive attitude and lifestyle in general.

As I mentioned in an earlier review, I'm not a fan of affirmations, and I believe that the underlying problem should be addressed, not masked. And I think her expectations for people to choose to feel positive even under the most dire circumstances (e.g. bereavement or
Ashley
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
A friend of mine recommended this book to me and at first I was a bit skeptical but fell in love after the first 10 pages. It seems to cover every issue you come across without actually pinpointing one certain issue.

It's a good book to fall back on as a quick picker-upper if you're having a bad day or just feel discouraged. It's helped with my personal life alot and it's something I'm sure to have memorized within the next 10 years.

Nick
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sir Ken Thompson recommended this book in his, The Element. I picked it up with some trepidation, because the whole idea sounded so simple. But it's a top-notch self-help book, about a whole lot more than just fear. Jeffers covers the whole waterfront of ineffectual behavior and patiently tells you how to stop it and replace it with better behavior. If you're stuck at any point with fears, resentments, bottled up anger, and so on, this book will help (if you let it).
Elicia
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for everyone even if you don't think the title applies to you.
Sometimes the only way to overcome the fear and feel better about yourself is to just go out and do it. But it also talks about taking more control of your life instead of indecision ruling because of being afraid of making mistakes. Tells you how to move from a position of pain ("It's not my fault, I'm never satisfied, It's terrible") to one of power ("I'm totally responsible, I want to learn and grow, It's a learning
Kirsty ❤️
To shake things up a bit for our radio book club shows we decided to read a regular book but also some kind of factual one

My copy proudly declares it’s a 20th anniversary edition so my first concern was if it would still be relevant in today’s society and after reading through it I would say yes. The only really out of bit parts are technological. In one chapter she mentions picking up the phone or writing a letter and getting in touch with people. While still positives to do these days you’re
NancyJ
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway when I was a young manager, and it made a big difference in how I approached my life and career. I still refer to key points in the book when coaching leaders, students, and anyone facing a change in their life. Susan Jeffers was teaching about crucial aspects of emotional intelligence before Goleman's book popularized the term.
Vaishali
Save yourself the time; you're much better off with Tony Robbins or Brian Tracy.
Liam
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
So, this was an alright book. It has some good ideas and good tools for being able to live your life how you want and not being held back by irrational fears, etc. The pacing wasn't the best, most of the useful info is in the first 3rd but there was still bits to glean the rest of the way, which is better than a lot of other self-help books I've read. You can definitely tell it was written in the 80's and targeted at women, but it's useful for everyone. I wouldn't mind a modern day revision, ...more
Rebecca
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, skimmed
Originally published in 1987, this self-help classic was reissued in a 25th anniversary edition in 2012. I looked over it for a proposed comparison article with How to Win Friends and Influence People (later cancelled, alas) and found this one to be more relevant and readable. Jeffers says that at the base of every fear is a belief that “I can’t handle it.” Our fears are either of things that can happen to us (ageing and natural disasters) or of actions we might take (going back to school or ...more
Pam Burzynski
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
A self-help book addict, I've read a ton of them and was pleasantly surprised and "fearless" by the time I finished Feel the Fear....

Hoping for solutions or a "how to" to let go of or conquer "a" fear, I realized this book was much bigger than "a" fear.

You will be relieved to know that Jeffers does not believe that our fears are psychological--phew! Rather she believes our fears are, in most cases, an educational problem, and her book is loaded with ways to help us reeducate our mind.

Not heavy,
Jessica
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Jeffers has a lot of sound, practical advice for taking the step to overcome the nagging fears that are standing in the way of getting to the places you want to be in your life and career.

The first year I was teaching at a university I was really nervous and anxious whenever I stepped into the classroom. I loved what I was doing, but hated not being an expert with years of experience yet. What if a student asked me a question I didn't know the answer to?

I used to read a little bit of
Sara Kindlan-Arnison
After suffering from severe almost crippling anxiety, I was giving this book to help me cope and it was the best thing that I ever read. It changed my relationship with anxiety, fear and future dreams. If you do the exercises in the book, it helps change your understanding and except the many issues you believe are holding you back.
Emily
Great book, it was an easy, quick read. I actually read it a few times. The author brings up some good points on how we see fear. How even as children we are told to "be careful" and we see an optimist as a Pollyana and their positive view as unrealistic even though most of our fears of negative things never actually happens.
The author gives you a few strategies to try to keep out of the negative/fearful mindset and gives great examples of how she overcame her fears.
T.L. Clark
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book truly changed my life.
I read it whilst training to be a counsellor, and it impacted me greatly.
Many years on I still hear this phrase when faced with a new and/or daunting situation.
Truly one of the best books I ever read.
I have become a fiercely independent woman, and I have to thank in part, this gem of a book.
Karl Niebuhr
There are many interesting ideas in this book about how we can overcome our fear and grow in character. I skipped the last part where the author started to talk about esoteric stuff far from being scientific.
Emma Sea
JChipol
"Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame. " Erica Jong

One of my favourite quotes of all time sums up what this book is trying to say; basically we cannot blame situations around us for the state of our own lives. This book brings up some very interesting thoughts; we are in control of our own attitudes and decisions. We may not be able to control the hand that life has dealt us, but we certainly are in control with what decisions we make in order to
Haneen Najeh
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
"How many times you wanted to do sth but you stopped yourself because you were afraid?"
The book has started with this sentence.

I can say that I learned a lot from this book; one and the most important thing that I learned is that to feel fear and do it anyway.

When I read the subject of the book at the first time I excepted it be good and good it was.

We used to think that feeling fear is a good reason to not do sth BUT it hasn't to be this way.

Suzan is is speaking about fear and it's kinds.
Orgil Marcus
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to feel the fear and do it anyway because this book said so. Nothing to lose, everything to gain sort of a mentality could be helpful at times.
Alana Muir
It was a good book that reinforced a lot of the ideas I've been given in both individual and group therapy, and I'd recommend it to anyone with anxiety. The one complaint I have is that the author has some very irritating attitudes towards disability and chronic illness. In more than one anecdote, she implies that a patient was faking or making up an illness and once they adopted a positive attitude, all their symptoms disappeared. For people with chronic illness, we already face doctors and ...more
Kirsty Watts
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into it but once i'd gotten through half and i started taking on the advice, I felt so much more positive as-well as calm. I definitely underestimated how this book could simply explain basic instructions that drastically reduced my day to day anxiety and depression. Its helped me to learn how to maintain good mental health. I feel more optimistic, more grounded and overall I was pleasantly surprised by how powerful this book was for me. I would certainly recommend this ...more
extreme fear and petrifying phobias 14 80 Oct 14, 2014 03:44AM

• The Power of Positive Thinking
  • Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out
  • First Things First
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
  • How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
  • Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
  • Developing the Leader Within You
  • The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth
  • The Dance of Anger
There is more than one author with this name

Susan Jeffers, Ph.D. has helped millions of people throughout the world overcome their fears, heal their relationships, and move forward in life with confidence and love.

She is the author of many internationally renowned books including Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, Feel the Fear. . .and Beyond, Feel the Fear Power Planner, End the Struggle and Dance
“Feel the fear and do it anyway!” 109 likes
“The less you need someone's approval, the more you are able to love them.” 25 likes