Start by marking “When It Rains (Accidental Roots, #8)” as Want to Read:
When It Rains (Accidental Roots, #8)

When It Rains

(Accidental Roots #8)

Beto Hernandez’s objective: Break the human trafficking ring plaguing Skagit once and for all. He’s not in Skagit to make friends—his kicking ass first and taking names later. Maybe. He crosses paths with an intriguing and sexy man, the first man in years to spark Beto’s interest. It’s ultimate bad timing, though; no one in Skagit can be trusted.

Who is Carsten Quinn, and
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 255 pages
Published April 2nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about When It Rains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When It Rains

Start your review of When It Rains (Accidental Roots, #8)
Simone
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
***3.5 Stars***

Lazy-Saturday-afternoon-version of a review:

For the grand finale, I would have loved to get a bit more Bildergebnis für kaboomand to see more of the previous couples since all of them have a vested interest in watching the human trafficking ring going down. Instead this sometimes felt like a newspaper article where you get to read about a bust while missing all the action. Umm, not that I need to play action-hero and take part here myself, but a bit more showing than just telling would have been nice.
Joyfully Jay
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

I’ve been with the Accidental Roots series since the beginning. Every book is exciting, action filled, and romantic. Elle Keaton’s writing style (and skill) is detailed without being overwhelming, and her descriptions are rich. With every book, I learn a little more about Skagit and its residents. I’m constantly amazed at each installment because there is always something new to discover.

I’d like to talk about the mystery portion of the story a bit. The bad guys
Nat ReadingAllNite
4.5 Stars

This is a great series and I was so excited to see another volume come out. I don’t recall Carsten or Beto’s names appearing in previous books at all. I had a couple of head-scratching moments trying to remember some details of the trafficking case that’s a story arc in the series. I wish I’d had time to reread them first. The author still manages to make it work without reading everything that’s gone before but it’s more fun knowing where reappearing characters show up. Read them all!
Jenny Wood
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow.

When I started this series, I came into it late, so I didn’t have to wait for each one to come out first. I don’t know how I would’ve handled it if I’d have had to. This entire series has been like one big action packed movie that I sat on the edge of my seat until it was over. I’m not sure who’s next or if anyone is next, but I hope Soren and Dany get sorted …. I really want them both to get some happy. And Nate, I’m interested in seeing what happens with him.

So, okay… in this one, we meet
Veronica
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

We first meet Carsten in the past. He is clearly in terrible circumstances which are alluded to just enough to convey the horror of his situation. By the end of our first meeting with him however, there is just the tiniest glimmer of hope.

In the present Beto, an FBI agent working undercover in the Skagit PD, is working to bring down illegal activities in the town. The men meet each other in a bar and then again as part of
Jenn (not Lily)
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good ending to the series, finally tying up loose ends. Nice little bits of Klay and Sasha (love Sasha!), but the romance between Beto and Carsten is a little insta-love-ish... Not my favorite of the series, but still satisfying.
Tori Thompson
Reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews! Check the blog at www.lovebytesreviews.com for this review and many more.
Kristina
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
When it Rains (Book 8)- 4 Stars: [Beto and Carsten] These guys gave me chills. It had me on the edge of my seat and needing answers along with the others.

With each book I read, the mystery gets better and the characters get cuter and mouthier. The topics this series deals with are some hard ones but I think the way Elle handles was great.

I will admit I practically devoured books 3-8 in two days (so my eyes hate me right now!) but I loved this series so much more than I ever thought.

I think
Anne
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I see receiving an ARC as an honor, and not one I take lately.

The book, the last in the series, features Carsten Quinn a sex traffic survivor, and Beto Hernández a undercover FBI agent still recovering from the death of his lover of ten years two years prior.
They first meet in one of the small towns two gay-friendly bars. The second time they meet when Beto shows up outside of Carsten’s door asking question about his roommate.
They quickly learn they are fighting for the the same thing, to
Maryann Kafka
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The small town of Skagit has its problems but it also seems to have a magnetic pull that bring opposites together.
FBI Agent Beto Hernandez has never been able to have the life that he’s dreamed of. He gave up his freedom to keep his relationship behind closed doors. Now he finds himself in the small town of Skagit with one goal.
Carsten Quinn a young survivor of an abusive life has finally found his freedom but he’s not totally free. He finds himself helping Troy Bakker who has some information
ButtonsMom2003
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down until sleep forced me to.

When It Rains has left me nearly speechless. I'm in awe of this fantastic story. There was a tiny bit of hmm? going on for me right at the beginning but that was soon resolved and forgotten (the first two chapters take place in the past).

While this is book 8 in the series you don't need to have read the others to understand or enjoy it. I think it might tie in a bit to other books in the series but, honestly, it's been so long since I've read them
Heather
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm just going to jump out of the gate and say, When it Rains is probably the darkest entry in Elle Keaton's Accidental Roots series so read with caution. Now, by "caution" I don't mean with hesitation because of its darker elements, no I mean read with caution because you won't want to put it down once you start. I can't say I read this one in one sitting because outside forces interfered but I sure wanted to, I didn't want to stop once I started.

Beto and Carsten's journey will suck you in and
KLB
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
When it Rains had both positives and negatives for me, but overall, I found myself wishing it was… just more. I enjoyed Carsten’s character. I found him to be strong and stubborn in an impactful way. I also enjoyed the idea of the story plot; Carsten, a victim of human trafficking and Beto, an undercover police officer, come together to bring down the human trafficking ring that brutalized Carsten and many others and fall in love along the way. Unfortunately for me, that’s where the positives ...more
Rachel H.
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For full disclosure, I received a copy for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.
If you are looking for a light-hearted sexy read? This is not that book. This is Drama!
Two individuals seeking to hunt down a circle of human traffickers, only they aren't working together. One is an FBI agent on the hunt for the scum in high places that protect the ring and its operators. The other a survivor from the ring trying to expose and remove the ring from his town.
More than a decade ago
Anna Torres
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mysterious, action-packed, Beautiful MCs

I am loving the way the story started, it gives us the background details of what we are about to read. It gives us the background story of the main characters. I am a very conscious reader, I like to know the characters, so normally I will spend time reading ( and rereading sometimes) the description of each character. The way Ms. Keaton described them were so thorough and I didn’t get bored reading it (because let’s admit it sometimes we do get bored
Jackie Mousseau
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-read
Shannon
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
The Last book of Elle’s Accidental Roots was fantastic. It was engaging and a definite page turner.

This book is the culmination of everyone’s work in regards to the Human trafficking ring started in the first book staring Adam Klay.

Elle takes suspense and lets it soar through the clouds. I was wanting to see how everything connected.
She took previous cases from the other Roots books and wove them into the fabric of When it Rains, connecting all the dots.
The romance between Beto (who is
Jessica Matos
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story.

The plot picks up from a human trafficking scheme that was not resolved in the previous books. The author gave us helpful, brief descriptions of the characters that helped a lot. However, I would suggest at least a brief reread of the series to remember the details of the crime that were already described.

The chemistry between the characters was wonderful. I liked that the danger of the characters' situations aided with the development of their emotions, but was not the
Anabela.M.
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rain falls hard on Skagit and brings out dead bodies on the river banks...but maybe it will also help cleanse the county of its last traces of evil.
And it's under the rain that Beto and Carsten meet. The attraction they feel comes at the wrong time,if you ask them,because danger is all around and they don't know who can be trusted. They both have painful pasts and troubled hearts and it's hard for either of them to accept and believe that someone can really love them.
When the clouds clear and
Shey Houston
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you invest a lot of time in a series and of comes to an end I as a reader always worry about how the author will end that series. I have to say that author Elle Keaton did a wonderful job wrapping up her Accidental Roots series.
It was by sheer accident that I came across the first book but I'm so glad I did. I was hooked on Skagit, the characters and their stories and the best part for me was all the suspense wrapped into it.
I can't strongly suggest this series enough and this book, Beto
Tena
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a way to end this series! That opening scene just blew my mind. I was hooked from page 1 right through to the end. Carsten is an amazing, strong individual who has come through some horrific things without breaking. He definitely has scars and baggage, but who he is at his core remains. Beto is another man who survived pain in his past and still retained his sense of duty and protection of others. They connect immediately, work well together, and are good for each other. I will miss this ...more
Adrianamae
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The name Beto is a nickname for Alberto, Roberto, Humberto, Filiberto, etc.

In other words, it's a nickname for any Hispanic name that ends with "beto."

Beto'd??? WTF is that? Don't add an apostrophe and a "d" to convert Beto into a contracted verb. This drove me up a wall, and distracted me completely from the story since every couple of sentences "Beto'd" would pop up.

Having said that, I liked the plot and characters in general, but this was the last story in the series, and I felt that the
Amy Dufera
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elle Keaton's Accidental Roots series continues with book eight, When It Rains. Like the previous books, it's full of suspense, danger, and romance.

Carsten and Beto are two extremely broken men, both having suffered a lot in their lives. Their story consists of some vile men and a whole lot of danger. It's definitely riveting, leaving me reading late into the night. The mystery and suspense is well written, full of detail and intrigue.

I love the slow burn aspect of this romance. If you enjoy a
Zara Lorimer
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although I'm not really into the m/m scene I did enjoy the story, the book is written really well.
When a body is found broken and beaten it leads Beto to the gorgeous Carsten who is keeping his cards very close to his chest. Until Carsten finds himself in some bother chasing the same human trafficking ring as Before. It's up to Beto to keep the young man safe but it's not long until their attraction for each other kicks in and steamy stuff happen!
Elaine Gray
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book and wonderful series, I hate to see it come to an end. Elle Keaton did a fantastic job with the conclusion to the series with Falling Rain. Beto and Carsten are working together to end a human trafficking ring. The book has action, drama, suspense, and romance. Seeing the attraction and slow build up to their relationship kept me from putting the book. I’m looking forward to the next book by the author.
Jody Bland
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
D Bir
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good thriller. This was my first book by Elle Keaton I have read. The book had an excellent opening to the book to get you sucked in right away. With the possibility that everyone in town could be part of the trafficking ring, I was suspicious of every new character.
Stephanie
This is another great addition to this series and the last one in this series. I definitely couldn't put this book down. Beto and Carsten's story had action and drama that I just love. A great ending to this series.
Mary A Walters
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!! It’s a must read!! The characters were awesome and their chemistry was off the charts!!
Maria771
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Beto and Carsten. This book is full of drama and intrigue. It is a fast paced read. Liked the development of the relationship between them. Emotional and dark.

• Tallowwood
  • Single (Single Dads #1)
  • Stand In Place
  • Today (Single Dads #2)
  • Prescription for Love (Road to Blissville, #7)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour #1)
  • Ignite (Unbreakable Bonds, #7)
  • Coast to Coast (Arizona Raptors #1)
  • Surprise Groom (Marital Bliss, #1)
  • Close to Home (Sawyer's Ferry, #4)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Killer Bond (Ward Security #5)
  • Bio-Mechanical (Irons and Works, #4)
  • I've Got You (True-Blue, #2)
  • No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1)
  • Benoit (Owatonna U Hockey #3)
  • Digging Deep (Digging Deep, #1)
Author/imaginator & photographer (also rare Pacific Northwest Native), Elle grew up in Seattle, WA., with the Cascade Mountain range to the east and Olympics to the west.

Elle shares her life with between three to five cats (depending on who's counting), an extremely patient fiancé and a flock of young adults. She's lived in four US states, London England, and Hong Kong; always knows what time

Accidental Roots (8 books)
  • Storm Season (Accidental Roots, #1)
  • No Pressure (Accidental Roots,  #2)
  • Spring Break (Accidental Roots, #3)
  • As Sure As The Sun (Accidental Roots, #4)
  • River Home (Accidental Roots #5)
  • Unforgivable (Accidental Roots, #6)
  • His Best Man (Accidental Roots, #7)