Start by marking “Daughters of Nri (The Return of the Earth Mother, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Nri (The Return of the Earth Mother, #1)

Daughters of Nri

(The Return of the Earth Mother #1)

A gruesome war results in the old gods' departure from earth. The only remnants of their existence lie in two girls. Twins, separated at birth. Goddesses who grow up believing that they are human. Daughters Of Nri explores their epic journey of self-discovery as they embark on a path back to one another.

Strong-willed Naala grows up seeking adventure in her quiet and small
Published October 1st 2019 by Onwe Press

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of Nri, please sign up.
faith ✨ August 27th, 2019 - and that is an eternal mood

(a very late) edit: it's now October 1st!

Start your review of Daughters of Nri (The Return of the Earth Mother, #1)
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
Jul 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
EXCUSE ME HAVE YOU SEEN THIS COVER?

GLORIOUS
THIS COVER!!!!! I can't!
Diana
Oct 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
DNF'ed at page 161 or so.

The way of writing is beautiful, although sometimes repetitive, but the characters don't exactly show their feelings, instead we are constantly told how they feel.
The story has spark, but for me it failed to ignite and ended up losing the initial curiosity I had going on.
Vee
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can’t get this cover out of my head, it’s f***ing transcendent!!! ...more
NAT.orious reads ☽
Aug 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Don't care what this book is about, I'm here for the cover.
Tana △⃒⃘ ⚯͛ Cozyreadings
24/09/2019

Why haven't I heard anything about this yet?? This sounds amazing...
Ms. Woc Reader
I finally got around to reading this story even though it's been sitting on my Kindle since the release date back in October. I just couldn't resist picking up this story after seeing such a striking cover. I decided to do something different for once an added Whispersync to my copy so I could switch between listening to the audiobook and reading the words on my Kindle app. The actress, Weruche Opia who narrators the audiobook has a great voice which makes for a smooth listening experience.

Read
Monica **can't read fast enough**
Daughters of NRI is the story of twins separated shortly after birth because of a cruel law and their parallel journeys to find each other while figuring out their magics and potentials. Because of their powers and who they really are threatens the power of the ruler who happens to be a demon in denial of who his is and the role he plays both girls suffer tragedy, loss, and physical dangers. This is a YA story I'd recommend for teen readers and YA fans.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest
Mridu  aka Storypals
The story was not sticking to me, it felt like the same we will save the world story and a glorious villain who will not let that happen.

I have really grown old, I need more to work with. :(

DNF.
maritareads
This book is AH.MAY.ZING. I don’t like to compare books but if you loved Children of Blood and Bone, you’ll love this. But the only similarities is that the lead characters are black girls, they have magic, and the king is out to get them. That’s where it stops.

The colourful descriptions of the characters and the elegant way in which the author writes them almost makes her a painter. And because the story is African (although West African) there are enough similarities that I can relate to. I
Alexandra
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With Daughters of Nri, Reni K Amayo conjures a magical world that truly centres black sisterhood. Combining lush prose with a fast-paced plot, this is one read that everyone - but especially black teens - will struggle to put down.
carol
Aug 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
i know i’m late to the party but

LOOK AT THE COVER. MY EYES HAVE BEEN BLESSED.
Kristen
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Daughters of Nri is a lovely story about two sisters who have no idea that they are goddesses or that they have a twin—having been separated shortly after birth since the Eze decreed that all twins in the land be put to death due to a prophecy. I especially appreciated the themes around community and finding people with similar goals and values, Reni K Amayo's adeptness at bringing to life the bonds between characters, and the way each twin had her own unique journey yet their situations ...more
Michaela Lawson
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ive been waiting for this book for months! But thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The best part for me (something that has never happened) was feeling as though I could relate to the subtle culture references throughout, such as the boiling of plantain! The writing was superb throughout but I couldn’t help but feel let down by the ending :( although I’m glad there’s going to be a second one and will most definitely recommend it.
Shealea
I started reading this book last October and finished it approximately a month and a half after. I had very high expectations for Daughters of Nri, but ultimately, nothing clicked with me.

Maybe the writing isn't my cup of tea. Maybe I've hit a fantasy slump. Whatever it is, I am disappointed that the only thing I enjoyed about this book is its world-building.

Full review to follow.
Natasha Brown
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading this book in a day and a half. I could not believe how drawn I was to the storyline. Unlike most books I have read, there were no dull moments, as every scene, every emotion, every description played a major role in the story. The beauty of the cover alone draws you in, the cover pales in comparison to the author's vivid description of Naala and Sanai. I won't add any spoilers, but I am promise I am now impatiently waiting for book 2.
LoweLowe ByTheBook
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5. Review to come...
Makeda / ColourLit
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5, rounded up. Thoughts pending...
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
mmkay I'm gonna need a physical copy of that cover.
Brandie Bridges
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
OMG!!!! This book was everything and kept me wanting to know more about the main characters and their background. This book was definitely a page tuner where I could not put the book down. All loved every single thing about this book. The character building, the world building, the African culture, etc was amazing. There were also certain elements in the book that made me have a better grasp of different cultures and background for the tribes in this book because it tribe was a different and ...more
MalikaMai Reads
Oct 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really really wanted to like this book. I read a few chapters in but I just wasn't connecting with the characters or understanding where the story was going. The writing was good since it kept me reading but I found my mind wandering so many times.

I made a promise this year that if a book wasn't fulfilling me then I would stop, so I had to DNF
Brie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5

Not a lot happened
2TReads
DAughters of Nri is the first installment in the 'Return of the Earth Mother series. Based in ancient Nigeria, it is told from the point of view of two sisters, twins who were separated at birth because their existence threatened the power structure. Sinai and Naala live in two different worlds, but they find themselves playing roles that put them on a path to their eventual reunion.

This book was slow going, it took a good first half of the book for the plot to take off. Most of it was laying
Kat (Why Read)
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#daughtersofnri by @renikamayo (published by @onwepress ) got me wishing I have a long lost sister somewhere in the world! I got all kinds of Sister, Sister vibes meet fantasy and awesomeness! I loved this novel. The characters were all lovable, except the villains. The villains were downright scary or despicable. The plot build up held me hook, line, and sinker. The themes of family in community was refreshing. The romance was meh cute on the swoon meter. The world building was so engaging... ...more
Reija
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as dnf-did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
For now I'm dnf'ing this book (at 60 pages, or 17% in).
The story premise is interesting, but I'm not being gripped by the writing and some of the shifts in pov in the middle of a chapter are confusing me.
So putting this down for now, and maybe I will try it again next year with a clearer head.
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
I have... Thoughts... but i also recognize that this book and the story within it weren’t for me. Yet i am very glad I am Done with the book.
Aslee
Aug 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
got a new cover!! 8/14/19

more detailed but just as gorgeous
cocoreads
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started this book just before bed hoping to get a couple chapters in...8 hours later I was half way through! -__-

It started a bit slow, but once the plot unfolded, I couldn’t stop reading. The characters are so loveable (Meekulu was my personal favourite) and you find yourself rooting for them HARD. The plot was really interesting and I wound up throwing my book down a few times. The setting is amazing! Nri is described so vividly and it’s so full of magic.

I’d recommend to anyone who’s
« previous 1 3 next »

• Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Slay
  • Queen of the Conquered
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • War Girls (War Girls, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Deep
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • A Dream So Dark (A Blade So Black, #2)
  • The Stars and the Blackness Between Them
  • Emergency Skin
  • Everything Inside
  • A Blade So Black (Nightmare-Verse, #1)
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • Color Me In