Start by marking “Daughters of Nri (The Return of the Earth Mother, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Nri (The Return of the Earth Mother, #1)

Daughters of Nri

(The Return of the Earth Mother #1)

A gruesome war results in the old gods' departure from earth. The only remnants of their existence lie in two girls. Twins, separated at birth. Goddesses who grow up believing that they are human. Daughters Of Nri explores their epic journey of self-discovery as they embark on a path back to one another.

Strong-willed Naala grows up seeking adventure in her quiet and small
Published October 1st 2019 by Onwe Press

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of Nri, please sign up.
nat August 27th, 2019 - and that is an eternal mood

(a very late) edit: it's now October 1st!
…more
August 27th, 2019 - and that is an eternal mood

(a very late) edit: it's now October 1st!
(less)

Start your review of Daughters of Nri (The Return of the Earth Mother, #1)
Lea | That_Bookdragon
Jul 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
EXCUSE ME HAVE YOU SEEN THIS COVER?

GLORIOUS
nat
THESE BEAUTIFUL GIRLS ON THE COVER I'M- ...more
Mili
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-the-book
I really enjoyed reading Daughters of Nri! The cover art is stunning! It is based in the Kingdom of Nri which is now Nigeria. So in a way it is a historical fiction I think? The story involves a lot of political and religious elements along with some fantasy. The nature and people are described colorful, I loved Amayo's writing it made everything spring to life. The story follows Naala and Sinai, twins seperated at birth. They grow up thinking they are human. But in truth they are Goddesses and ...more
Gavin
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
I did really enjoy being in this world and the writing is fantastic. But I found myself being slightly bored with the majority of this book and I was hoping for a bit more in terms of story progression and character development. There really was a lot of telling rather than showing, which is a shame considering this is beautifully written. I’m still extremely interested in reading more from the series though as I love this world, and really do enjoy the characters.
Kayla Dawn
This cover is gorgeous
Farai Chikwanha
I was caught between giving two or three stars, but ultimately decided on the higher score after reading Amayo's inspiration behind the book. It is important for me, as an African lover of fantasy and sci-fi, to have books about African characters that aren't rooted in colonialism or slavery. However, this noble endeavour doesn't mean the book is without flaws.

My first issue actually stems from the whole black African concept. If we know that every single character is black, WHY are we constantl
halfirishgrin
May 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
THIS COVER!!!!! I can't! ...more
Ms. Woc Reader
I finally got around to reading this story even though it's been sitting on my Kindle since the release date back in October. I just couldn't resist picking up this story after seeing such a striking cover. I decided to do something different for once an added Whispersync to my copy so I could switch between listening to the audiobook and reading the words on my Kindle app. The actress, Weruche Opia who narrators the audiobook has a great voice which makes for a smooth listening experience.

Read
Tana 🌻 Cozyreadings
12/03/2020
This sadly did not live up to my expectations at all. The plot in itself was okay, the story moved slow but at the same time things happened way too fast? i liked Sinai as a character, I felt like she had such great growth in the book (view spoiler)

The ending was super rushed, I thought the twins would meet way sooner but it takes such a long time. I
Diana
Oct 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnfed
DNF'ed at page 161 or so.

The way of writing is beautiful, although sometimes repetitive, but the characters don't exactly show their feelings, instead we are constantly told how they feel.
The story has spark, but for me it failed to ignite and ended up losing the initial curiosity I had going on.
Vee
Can’t get this cover out of my head, it’s f***ing transcendent!!! ✨
maritareads
This book is AH.MAY.ZING. I don’t like to compare books but if you loved Children of Blood and Bone, you’ll love this. But the only similarities is that the lead characters are black girls, they have magic, and the king is out to get them. That’s where it stops.

The colourful descriptions of the characters and the elegant way in which the author writes them almost makes her a painter. And because the story is African (although West African) there are enough similarities that I can relate to. I d
Oyinda
Omg so so beautiful. I listened to the audiobook narrated by Weruche Opia and I loved it so much. Her pronunciation of the words and the names were so good, and the Nigerian accent she did was also very amazing. She performed the story in a way that really carried the listener I long.

This was a fantasy book heavily set in a version of Eastern Nigeria (mostly in 944 AD, and some years before then). Our protagonists, twin sisters separated very early in their lives - Naala and Sinai - are two ver
NAT.orious reads ☾
Aug 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Don't care what this book is about, I'm here for the cover. ...more
Daisy
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I found the language and scenery to be very rich and vivid. I thought that the characters were well thought out and believable.
About half of this book was world building, I didn’t feel overwhelmed by that at all but sometimes I did want the pace of the plot to pick up slightly. I do think though that this means the second book will have more action.
I love the two storylines and different perspectives on each chapter.
Monica **can't read fast enough**
Daughters of NRI is the story of twins separated shortly after birth because of a cruel law and their parallel journeys to find each other while figuring out their magics and potentials. Because of their powers and who they really are threatens the power of the ruler who happens to be a demon in denial of who his is and the role he plays both girls suffer tragedy, loss, and physical dangers. This is a YA story I'd recommend for teen readers and YA fans.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest
Shealea
Oct 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
I'm. 😬😬😬 ...more
Mads
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars but i’m rounding up just for the cover art

i was so confused throughout this entire book because of the perspective switches, they just weren’t very clear. neither naala or sinai had a unique voice (and at one point ina had a perspective too and i didn’t realise for a while ????) which meant it was really difficult for me to get into the story because i didn’t know which twin we were following at any given moment. i think it would’ve been really great if the author had written one persp
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
had promise, but ultimately i got stuck on the writing style (also it should have been gay! ina x sinai was right there!)

Rep: Black cast

CWs: gender violence
Allana
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read for me. I enjoyed the story overall but the pace of it was a little hard to focus on. I enjoyed the two main characters but there were certain times where each perspective hit a slow patch and I wanted it to speed up a little. I don't know what is going to happen after that ending since it seemed to finish so smoothly, I am slightly intrigued but also confused on what could end up taking place in book 2. Overall, it was a 3 star read for me, which isn't bad, and hope ...more
Mridu  aka Storypals
The story was not sticking to me, it felt like the same we will save the world story and a glorious villain who will not let that happen.

I have really grown old, I need more to work with. :(

DNF.
Alison
This cover art needs to be made into a poster. It's fucking stunning.

As for the actual story...little less so. I did really like both sisters, and that they had clearly distinguished characterizations and motivations and personalities. I appreciated watching both of them deal with the struggles and dangers they faced, and how brave they both were. I also enjoyed the setting and the author did a terrific job of putting us in this physical world, and loved how we start to see these flashes of mag
Selena Reiss

I really enjoyed this! The world and the concept; I thought everything was built up so nicely and subtley. The magic of this world is so subtle and breathtakingly beautiful that magic almost feels like the wrong word to use because of the images it conjures up. I did have some qualms about minor writing things, but this prose has a lot of beauty in it, especially when describing the women of this novel and the magic/world. As for characters, I particularly really loved Sinai and her plo
Alexandra
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With Daughters of Nri, Reni K Amayo conjures a magical world that truly centres black sisterhood. Combining lush prose with a fast-paced plot, this is one read that everyone - but especially black teens - will struggle to put down.
carol
Aug 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
i know i’m late to the party but

LOOK AT THE COVER. MY EYES HAVE BEEN BLESSED.
L.C. Perry
Jul 24, 2020 marked it as must-have  ·  review of another edition
ADHFCDFJFKLM Another interesting book that I didn't know existed. LOOK. AT. THAT. COVERRRRRR. ...more
Sophie Ann
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
Actual Rating 2.5⭐
Leslie Baker
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“‘I know you think I’m crazy,’ Naala said quietly. ‘And maybe I am … but try and understand … this is our time, our moment, and it just feels as though … we’re missing it. We’re just standing here, trapped by … customs, watching life go by.” - Daughters of Nri , Reni K Amayo
_________________________________
Rating: 5/5 🌟
Author: Reni K Amayo
Publisher: Onwe Press
Released: 12/2019
__________________________________
QOTD: What’s your favorite 2020 read so far?
_________________________________
The answ
2TReads
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Daughters of Nri is the first installment in the 'Return of the Earth Mother series. Based in ancient Nigeria, it is told from the point of view of two sisters, twins who were separated at birth because their existence threatened the power structure. Sinai and Naala live in two different worlds, but they find themselves playing roles that put them on a path to their eventual reunion.

This book was slow going, it took a good first half of the book for the plot to take off. Most of it was laying t
Michaela Lawson
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ive been waiting for this book for months! But thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The best part for me (something that has never happened) was feeling as though I could relate to the subtle culture references throughout, such as the boiling of plantain! The writing was superb throughout but I couldn’t help but feel let down by the ending :( although I’m glad there’s going to be a second one and will most definitely recommend it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The WITTY Book Cl...: *** #32: Daughters of Nri by Reni K. Amayo *** 9 15 Sep 27, 2020 10:50AM

• Black Borne (Warrior Slave #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • Raybearer (Raybearer, #1)
  • Black Saint (Warrior Slave #3)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Black Ghost (Warrior Slave #2)
  • War Girls (War Girls, #1)
  • A Song Below Water (A Song Below Water, #1)
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • Rebel Sisters (War Girls, #2)
  • Call Your Daughter Home
  • Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #0.5)
  • Queen of the Conquered (Islands of Blood and Storm, #1)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)

The Return of the Earth Mother (2 books)
  • Descendants of the First (The Return of the Earth Mother, #2)

Articles featuring this book

While books about anti-racism are trending on Goodreads and dominating the bestseller lists right now, some of our favorite Black authors are...
“You are hiding, all the time, reducing yourself and minimising your power. You have power, my dear; everyone, even the tiniest otomys, has power. The trouble is we are all too quick to give it away.’ The old woman leaned back with a smile. ‘The trick is incredibly simple. To know you have power is to have power.” 3 likes
“accept life for what it was: a journey punctuated by pain, which could only be escaped by being lived through.” 1 likes