Start by marking “A Lover’s Mercy” as Want to Read:
A Lover’s Mercy

A Lover’s Mercy

(The Superheroine Collection #5)

Mai Redstone prowls Atlanta as its hero, Mercy, trying to save people from themselves and each other. With her newly discovered, stronger powers, she acts as if she’s invincible. To those who know her though, she’s as delicate as a cobra lily.
Xóchitl is the complete opposite. Violence comes naturally to her. Hard-hearted and thick-skinned, the softest thing about her is h
Paperback, 1st edition, 183 pages
Published April 3rd 2019 by Ylva Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Lover’s Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lover’s Mercy

Lex Kent
I was really looking forward to this book and I’m glad to say it met my expectations. This was really entertaining and I could not put the book down. While this is technically book 5 in The Superheroine Collection, you do not need to read four books before this. However, this is a sequel to Book 2 The Power of Mercy. I highly recommend reading that book first before you read this one. This book picks up where The Power of Mercy left off and you would be missing out on a good amount of story incl ...more
Joc
The Superheroine Collection is a series that I’m really enjoying and even when I haven’t particularly enjoyed the execution of one I’ve still liked the concept. A Lover’s Mercy is a follow-on from The Power of Mercy and while all the other books in the series are standalone novels, I wouldn’t recommend reading this without reading The Power of Mercy first. Xóchitl Bentley and Mai Redstone have been lovers for a few months. Mai knows exactly who Xóchitl is but very few others know she is not just ...more
Bethany
I'm actually a bit surprised, because fantasy isn't normally my favorite genre, but I really enjoyed this one! Even more so than the first in the set, Power of Mercy. If you're thinking about picking this one up, I highly suggest that you read Power of Mercy first though, since there's a LOT that you'd miss if you skipped it. You don't need to read all the books in the Superheroine Collection to understand, but don't skip Power.

All in all, I enjoyed the change to Xochitl's POV for this installme
Carrie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a follow up to a previous superhero story. I had not read it before this one. I think that it is fine stand-a-lone but it would probably have made a lot more sense early on if I had.

Xochitl is an enforcer. Mai has a superhero identity as 'Mercy.' They apparently got together in the previous book. Here, they start off in an existing relationship, and Xochitl is in Mai's apartment more often than not. Mai wants to move things forward between them and convinces Xochitl to go visit her famil
Betty
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed A Lover’s Mercy by Fiona Zedde. This novella is the sequel to The Power of Mercy and continues the story of Mai Redstone and Xóchitl Bentley, both of them metas who live in Atlanta. Both are college professors to the regular humans who live and work around them. Mai is also secretly the super-heroine Mercy who helps those in crisis. Xóchitl is a meta enforcer, sort of a police force for metas (humans with super powers). No regular police force could handle corrupt or criminal me ...more
Netty
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this quite a bit, nice main characters, great storyline, kept me interested until the end, it did take me longer than usual to get through this due to general life commitments, so I kept having to put it down so I can’t remember if there was any sex scenes but there was a nice love story running through it..... recommended to fantasy romance readers.

An ARC was given in exchange for an honest review by YLVA
Linda
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
First, let me say superhuman or paranormal stories are not my cup of tea, but this was a great story. The writing style was different from anything I had read before, and as a result I had to work at getting into the story, but I'm so glad I did.

The romance between the main characters was there from the beginning. The story focused on the issues that were trying to pull them apart. The Redstone family was quite a challenge for the two main characters to deal with, as were their opposing methods
Carol Hutchinson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic addition to the Superheroine collection by Ylva Publishing.

I haven’t read the second book in the collection which is the prequel to A Lover’s Mercy, but that didn’t affect my enjoyment of this story.

Mai and Xóchitl are lovers, and opposites but that is what made their relationship so intense, and exciting in this sequel. Mai with her powers spends her days saving the people of Atlanta, and she doesn’t always take as much care as she should, which has her lover Xóchitl foll
Jane Clements
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Fiona Zedde’s first book about Mercy/Mai. The Power of Mercy. In my review of that book I wrote that I wished it had been longer so we could know more. Well, my wish was granted with this second offering from Zedde, A Lover’s Mercy which follows on from the action in the first book.

To my surprise, this book is even better than the first. This time it’s from Xóchitl’s perspective, although we still get to find out more about Mai and her family. We also get an insight into how Met
Jill Kenna
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought from the cover of this book that it was a graphic novel which was the initial reason that I requested to read and review this, but I was wrong about that. I am so glad that I accidentally picked this book because it was fantastic! I didn't know that it was the fifth and final book in a series when I picked it up and honestly for the most part I couldn't tell. I will one hundred percent be going back to read the other four books in this series though and I can't wait to do that. I start ...more
Danie
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
I was given this ARC by the publisher in exchange for an Honest Review.

This was intense. It was a sequel to "The Power of Mercy" with many of the same characters, but, this time it focused on Xóchitl instead of Mai and from Xóchitl's point of view as well.

A lot of it has to do with Ethan and his upcoming hearing where big things could happen that aren't exactly being welcomed by Mai or Xóchitl. There were also some definite growing pains in the relationship between Mai and Xóchitl.

I"m not usuall
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

This is an interesting story, but I didn't realize when I requested it that it was actually a direct sequel to another book in this series so I did feel like I was missing things a lot of the time. You can definitely piece together the big picture details of book from context clues, but I feel like I would have probably enjoyed this book more if I had read the previous one. Still, the world building seems interesting from what I could make out he
AJ Sneed
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this was a bad ass sequel. definitely have to read the first in the series to get a lot of the references but it was awesome too. great follow up from this author. hope there are more.
J.V. Speyer
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-reads
You want to know what the best thing about reviewing books is? I get introduced to all these amazing books, by all these amazing authors, and I get to go on these magical journeys of discovery to just fill my device with more by these authors who I would never have heard of if it weren’t for NetGalley or Xpresso Book Tours or QueerRomance Ink.

That was one hell of a run-on sentence, and my editor is going to come smack my knuckles with a ruler, but you get my point.

A Lover’s Mercy is a great ca
M the avid reader
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Juicy romance and edge of your seat drama (4.5 stars)

A Lover's Mercy is the intense sequel to The Power of Mercy and part of the publisher's Superheroine collection of books. There are reminders and recaps of some events from The Power of Mercy here, but it's best to read both books in sequence (and close in succession) in order to have all the details fresh in mind but also to relish in the relationship dynamics for that much longer. Each book could be read as a standalone but reading both exte
Aj Smith
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished "A Lover's Mercy" over a fortnight ago but I knew I had to give myself some time to think about it and really let it sink in before I wrote a review. There's so much going on; an awesome overall plot, a really sweet love story (I adore how off-kilter Xóchitl is after a few days of not seeing Mai), and some serious depth and layers of meaning.
It was the layers that made me pause and reflect. As a white, European, employed, middle-class citizen of a neutral (and now peaceful) country,
Eve D'Alton
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every second and wanted MORE!!!
This is Fiona Zedde's second book within YLVA's superheroine collection and by some miracle of short-sightedness, the first in the series (A Lover's Mercy) completely passed me by. Needless to say, as soon as I read this offering I went straight back to the website and bought the previous book.
As a comic book nerd, I deeply enjoyed the book. Based around the same two main characters; Mai Redstone and Xochitl Bennet, it takes the story further into the unf
Della
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mai Redstone is many things. She is a University professor who is also a shape shifting Super Hero called Mercy. Mai is also part of the very powerful Redstone family with extraordinary Meta powers. She is romantically involved with Xóchitl Bentley who is an Enforcer. (Enforcers take care of rogue Metas who use their powers for nefarious deeds). Mai and Xóchitl represent the Yin and the Yang of the Meta world.
Fiona Zedde’s A Lover’s Mercy is the fifth book in the Superheroine series as well as
Karen
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Zedde knows how to tell a story. This sequel to Power of Mercy is intense and often dark. The ending put a smile on my face. This was one engrossing book, so much so that it was hard to go to work.

This starts where her previous novel left off, but from Xochitl’s perspective and in present tense. Normally, I don’t like present tense, but by the end I had forgotten all about it. Mai and Xochitl are living together and developing their relationship. Things happen. There’s danger in many forms as w
terry decker
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This was a really slow read for me, but I did enjoy it. I did read most of the other books in this series so I was aware of the relationship between Mai and Xochitl. Mai introduces Xochitl to her family, the Redstones, and things don’t go so well with them. They are a powerful family in the meta community and Mai’s uncle tried to kill her. This is a stand alone but it really will help if you read Power of Mercy first. The book is well written and does pickup speed and turns into a must read that ...more
Denise Kyte
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a sequel to Power of Mercy and is best read afterwards.
It's also the latest edition in Ylva's enjoyable Superheroine series.
Set in an AU Atlanta where humans live alongside meta-humans. The world building in this series is interesting.
I liked that the POV in this story switched to Xochitl. I also enjoyed the exploration of the differences in outlook and attitudes between the two major characters.
Xochitl being a much more rut
MiskaCZ
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, lesb, ylva
An ARC copy was given to me by YLVA for a honest review.

I really was waiting for this one. This book is a sequel to "The power of Mercy". The story is a continuation from the previous book.

The main characters Xochitl (an enforcer) and Mai (hero Mercy) they are building theirs relationship in this book. The story line about trust, family and friends is very good one, but I must confess sometimes it was little bit confussing to me to keep on track.

Dr E
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first page alone, earns this one 5 stars. I love sci fi so this series gets my vote.
Drama, family feuds, special powers, heroic acts, and amongst all of this there’s a fierce, sweet love story too. Good idea to read the first one to have a better idea of what’s going on, but you could probably wing it. Although you’d be wasting an opportunity to read a good book. Read them both, they’re great.
Andrea
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a sequel to power of mercy - but I think it can be read as a stand alone. Some of the same characters are in it but other than that it doesn’t overlap too much.
The story and characters of the book are ok but what kind of ruined the story for me was the point of view or more specifically the narrator- the narrator seemed bored with the story and I just didn’t like it.
tlev 4242
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This follow up to The Power of Mercy takes the perspective of Xóchitl Bentley. It's done in first person and I feel that is why I didn't enjoy it as much. The characters are strong and the pacing is good, so I should have enjoyed it more.
Dipali
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC REVIEW An excellent sequel to power of mercy. Im loving this series and the concept is fantastic! Very well written, with well developed characters and I love a book that makes me think, so would definitely recommend.
Adam Windsor
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Representation matters, so I really wish I liked this book - which features lots of non-white characters and has a queer couple at its heart - more than I did. Unfortunately I found the narrator quite unlikable and wasn't compelled by the plot. Mind you, the narrator didn't seem to care about the plot either, showing a distinct lack of curiosity or proactive engagement toward the events going on around her..
A Alison
Apr 16, 2019
Arvindry
May 05, 2019
A Alison
Apr 17, 2019
Fiona Zedde is a Jamaican-born novelist and short-story writer who currently lives and writes and Tampa, Florida.

She is the author of six novellas - “Pure Pleasure,” “Going Wild” and “Sexual Attraction” appear in the collections, Satisfy Me, Satisfy Me Again, and Satisfy Me One More Time, respectively.

Her novels include Bliss, A Taste of Sin, Every Dark Desire, Hungry for It, Kisses after Midnigh

The Superheroine Collection (5 books)
  • Shattered