Start by marking “All That Impossible Space” as Want to Read:
All That Impossible Space

All That Impossible Space

Amelia Westlake meets My Favorite Murder in this debut from a terrific new voice in Australian YA. Combines a realistic story about high school drama and toxic friendship with true crime - the endlessly fascinating Somerton Man or Taman Shud mystery.
15-year-old Lara Laylor feels like supporting character in her own life. She's Ashley's best friend, she's Hannah's sister-sh
Published June 25th 2019 by Lothian Children's Books

Start your review of All That Impossible Space
Gloria Arthur
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-bookshelf
All That Impossible Space by Anna Morgan

Fiction compliments Non-Fiction in this creative and well-written YA read. I loved it!

This story was more than I expected, I don’t doubt that you will google 'The Somerton Man' after you’ve read the book or maybe during, like I did.

Set in Melbourne and Adelaide, Australia, this is an engaging and addictive high school drama involving toxic friendships, a musical, low key family issues and true crime.

The characters are very realistically portrayed and I f
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lara Laylor has always been an afterthought, living in the shadow of her popular and enigmatic sister Hannah or best friend Ash, an aspiring Broadway actress. With Hannah travelling through Europe trying to find herself, Ash convinces Lara to join the annual Saint Margaret's College musical in conjunction with the local boys school. Lara's real passion is athletics, the freedom of running her own race in the crisp morning air and to perform in the school's production of Cinderella, she'll put he ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
WIN a copy here: https://bookdout.wordpress.com/2019/0... Entries close July 5th 2019

Anna Morgan’s contemporary young adult novel, All That Impossible Space, is an engaging debut exploring the themes of identity, friendship, family, and coming-of-age, framed by the enigmatic mystery of Somerton Man.

I was vaguely aware of the Somerton Man case before reading All That Impossible Space, and it was one of the main reasons that I was persuaded to read the novel. Given the current popularity of true c
Brooklyn Tayla
This book was so addictive, I finished it in all of a day- and enjoyed it greatly! I think the author did an absolute riveting job presenting the mystery of The Somerton Man, who's body was found slumped on the Beach of the same name (hence the collective title of the mystery) and she blended fact with her own fiction so intricately!

A huge thank you to AusYABloggers for allowing me to be a part of this blog tour and to Hachette Australia for providing me with a copy of this book to review! Full
Robin Stevens
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm fascinated by the Somerton Man case, and so when I heard there was a YA book based on it I was desperate to read it. I think All That Impossible Space is a brilliant mix - partly the story of Lara as she navigates her often difficult and toxic school life, and partly the story of the Somerton Man, which Lara becomes just as interested in as I am. I really enjoyed it, and I'm more bewildered by the Somerton Man's story than I was before. Please, someone solve it! (14+)

*Please note: this revie
rachel ☾

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

Representation: Lara (mc) has asthma.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thankyou to Hachette Australia for providing me with a copy of All that Impossible Space, in exchange for an honest review.

Lara is navigating her way through high school in year ten, dealing with a toxic friendship with her best friend Ash, rehearsing for a musical she didn’t want to be in, exploring her feelings for a boy she’s just met, plus a whole bunch of other stuff – not that her parents, or anyone, notice, because Lara is just Lara. Always in someone else’s shadow. On top of that, her ne
The Nerd Daily
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Brooklyn Saliba

Anna Morgan’s All That Impossible Space is so addictive and I finished it all in one day! I think the author did an absolute riveting job presenting the mystery of The Somerton Man, whose body was found slumped on the beach of the same name and she blended fact with her own fiction so intricately! In fact, my knowledge of The Somerton Man case is relatively non existent, but as soon as I heard about this book, I couldn’t wait to l
Gill
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.

You can see my full review here: http://bit.ly/2RD0f4v
Sylvs (NOVELty Reads)
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not even going to lie but I was surprised I liked this as much as I did. It's not really my genre: mystery however this novel was intertwined with contemporary particularly focusing on toxic friendships and on first loves.

The book is a #loveozya and set in both Melbourne and Adelaide surrounding the case of the Somerton Man in 1948 and of a young girl named Lara who is trying to discover more about him for an assignment given to her by her history teacher: Mr Grant. Who was he? How did he d
K.
Trigger warnings: toxic friendships, murder (in the past), bullying, (view spoiler).

This is an unusual book, being equal parts a straight up contemporary story about a 15 year old girl struggling with friendship issues and her changed family dynamic, and the story of the same 15 year old girl being given an assignment to research the case of the Somerton Man and forming a bond with her his
Annie Deo
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at my blog.

My personal measure of a book’s quality is whether a) I read it in one sitting, or b) if it compelled me to stay up ridiculously late to finish reading it. All That Impossible Space achieved BOTH. I wouldn’t have started it at 9pm at night if I had any idea it would keep me up past midnight, but I have no regrets!

What I marveled over the most is how quickly I became invested even though on the surface, the storyline is pretty chill, there’s no huge bombshells with
Tahnaya
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much!! Fiction meets non fiction are the most interesting books to read and this one was written perfectly! The Somerton man was a mystery I’d heard of in the past and it was such an amazing twist on a murder mystery. Highly recommend this book!!!
Simone
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was a quick read. Very well paced, and some great twists and turns. A real nostalgia trip in many ways.
Marianna
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My bookshop assistant friend gave me an advance reader copy of this because she knows I'm into YA genre. Also, I'm acquainted with the author Anna Morgan through an online writers group so I was very curious to read her debut novel.
All That Impossible Space did not disappoint.
The story is spun around the real life unsolved mystery of the Somerton Man (Look it up! It's really interesting). Lara becomes obsessed with finding out his identity but the author has cleverly used this device to mirror
Anna
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super digestible, original YA read that was perfectly entertaining and light while still dealing with some real issues. Loved the way the Somerton man mystery was woven through the story, although the ending required more than a little suspension of disbelief to bring the two plots together. Lara was a likeable and interesting heroine who rang true for me, and Jos a wholesome love interest. I loved the way the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, while not specifically referenced, came alive through th ...more
Claire
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All That Impossible Space is an interesting well written YA contemporary with complex characters, relatable moments and an intriguing mystery at its core. I loved this book by Australian debut author Anna Morgan and at times found it impossible to put down. I liked how she wrote about toxic friendships, high school, family, first love and growing up in the shadow of a sibling.

Despite growing up in Adelaide I didn’t know that much about the Somerton Man, a true Australian mystery of an unidentif
TheWicked Librarian
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, so you’ve finished reading a Karen McManus novel (One of Us is Lying) or an Alice Pung (Laurinda) and your left with that ‘OMG-I need-another-juicy-story-or-I’ll-die-waiting’ feels? Well, look no further because ‘All That Impossible Space’ by Anna Morgan will astound you. I was instantly hooked by the first page.
I love when new authors come out with a bang, and you know the future of publishing will continue to thrive. Well, thank you Anna Morgan for bringing us this delightful story.

Othe
Stephanie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I received this book from Hachette Australia in exchange for an honest review. I didn't know what to expect when I started this, but I can definitely say that it hooked me. I was interested in the Somerton Man mystery, and even though growing up in Australia, I was never made aware that that mystery existed. It's an unsolved case and it's rather interesting.

I actually don't know what made me love this book. But I know I really liked the discussion on toxic friendships. Ash and Lara have been be
Emily
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-ya-circle, 2019
RATING: 3.5/5 stars
This was a well written debut novel however I also expected something more from it. I liked how Anna Morgan melded the factual mystery of the Somerton Man with fiction and the everyday life and struggles of teenagers.
Clare Snow
Will this better better than the last book I read starring Mr Somerton? Looking at you Cedar Valley. ...more
Petra Be
I enjoyed the book. Even though it was quite obvious what Mr Grant was up to... And how did a 15-year-old girl pay for an air ticket?
Catherine
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clever and intriguing novel with layers of stories cleverly interwoven. Couldn't put it down.
Emily Briggs
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YA at it's best!
Megan
A map is a metaphor. Close enough and distant enough to what it describes so that you can understand it. It is not the thing itself, despite the trick of language... I guess I'd begun to think of the Somerton Man and Mr Grant as a metaphor, a map. That if I solved the mystery of who this unknown man was, if I found my teacher, it could help me figure out who I was, too.

This book felt a little slow to start but then it picked up and it had my full attention.

Lara is always coming in second - to
Hannah Moy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love how the author combined the mystery of the Somerton Man and Lara's life
Kristy Fairlamb
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A heart-warming story about finding yourself while you're trying to find someone else.

I really enjoyed the different layers of this story. The mystery of the Sommerton Man, the disappearance of Lara's History teacher (I picked that coming), and the friendships; the terrible and the sweet.

Obviously the story of the Sommerton Man remains a mystery as it has for 70 years, but I loved reading the little excerpts about him, and Anna Morgan's creative interpretation to some of the elements of the st
Gayathri Srinivasan
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
And all of a sudden, there I was, back in the halls of my prestigious Victorian Private Girls’ School...sorry...”Ladies College”.
I was transported back 10yrs and relived those after school rehearsals of Into The Woods, the teenage angst and romance and most importantly, the struggle that I felt to find myself at 16.
I loved this book especially because of the wonderfully relatable characters.
It’s good to know that young readers have wonderful authors to rely upon!
Lillian
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A compelling read that was wonderfully written, with Morgan seamlessly blending an Australian coming of age story with true crime. I would definitely recommend for any fans of Melina Marchetta.
Shima
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
If it wasn't given to me, I never would have picked up a book about a white teenage girl going to a private school in a western country. I can't say reading this book has changed that for the future, but what I can tell you that for what is it, it's an easy fast read, it's well-written and there is a decent attempt at characterisation. It's just that, as mentioned before, there is only so much to care about when the characters are who they are:

Lara, the second daughter who feels invisible, giv
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Man in the Water
  • Small Spaces
  • The Year the Maps Changed
  • The Boy Who Steals Houses
Anna was born in Sydney, but spent most of her childhood surrounded by mountains in Nepal and Tibet while her parents were part of an international community of health professionals. Navigating this cross-cultural life made her a curious observer of people, although most of her time was spent reading Enid Blyton and dreaming of going to boarding school. This did not cushion the shock of shifting f ...more

News & Interviews