Start by marking “Wildflower Ridge” as Want to Read:
Wildflower Ridge

Wildflower Ridge

Penny McIntyre loves her life as an ambitious city professional, with a marketing team at her fingertips and a promotion just within reach. So when she's floored by a mystery illness, and ordered back to the family farm for three months' rest and recuperation, she is horrified to find her perfect life imploding.

Within days, Penny has to leave her much-loved job, her live-
Kindle Edition
Published June 3rd 2019 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Wildflower Ridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildflower Ridge

Start your review of Wildflower Ridge
Sharon
Penny McIntyre has always loved working with her marketing team in Melbourne. When she falls ill her doctors are baffled as to what is making her feel so sick. She is told she needs time off work to rest. Leaving behind her city life, job and boyfriend, Penny heads to the country town where she grew up. This was not the most ideal situation for Penny, but she needed to give her body time to recuperate. And if that meant spending time back at the family home with her father and her sisters then t ...more
Brenda
4.5s

Penny McIntyre didn’t have time to be ill and couldn’t work out why she’d been told to head back to her family farm in the country for ten weeks recuperation. The aches and pains had knocked her for six, but her boss in the marketing team in Melbourne had grudgingly approved the doctor’s orders, so once Penny left hospital, she headed back with her sister Diana.

The family farm was run by Penny’s dad Angas, with the help of farmhand, ex-boyfriend Tim Patterson. She didn’t want to face T4.5s ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Wildflower Ridge is a 2019 Allen and Unwin publication from Maya Linnell, a former rural journalist. This debut novel from an exciting new voice, is a very fine example of authentic and true rural fiction fare. It is a story that stresses the importance of following your heart, resurrecting long held dreams and connecting with your family roots, especially in the wake of a crisis. A book of love, life, friendship, community and
Jodie (Sunshinejode) W
Wildflower Ridge is the debut novel of Maya Linell, a country journalist who has lived in rural communities all her life.

The novel centres around the McIntyre family -four Sisters Penny, Lara, Diana and Angie, their Dad Angus and the family farm McIntyre Park Merino Stud based in the Grampians region of Victoria. This first novel opens with Penny in hospital after collapsing at work with a mystery illness, a driven career woman who has left her farm days behind and has never looked back. When s
Michelle Beesley
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this debut rural romance from an Australian author who writes from the heart. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC copy of this beautiful story from Allen and Unwin and I could not put it down.
Penny McIntyre is a corporate high flyer who is felled by a mystery illness. She is forced to return to her family farm, Wildflower Ridge, to recuperate. Here we meet Penny's three sisters, her father and her first love, Tim, who inconveniently is now working at her family farm . You'll learn to l
Leanne Lovegrove
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a reader of rural romance, you’ll love this debut by Maya Linnell
Janine
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of this debut novel by Maya Linnell who is a new Australian author.
To say it was a great read is quite frankly an understatement! For a debut novelist I was so impressed with her style of writing and felt totally invested in the characters within.
The novel tells the story of Penny who left her family farm and became a top marketing executive living the high life with a great well paid job, city apartment living and a handsome boyfriend. When a mosqui
Claire McInnes
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t normally read romance novels, so wasn’t sure how I’d feel about this one. But, I was first sucked in by the beautiful visualization of the books country setting, the descriptions taking me back to my own childhood so accurately. Soon enough the story had me captured and I couldn’t put it down. I love finding a book that I can’t put down, and I loved this book.
Angela
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This first novel from Maya Linnell was exactly what I thought it would be, plus so much more! A rural romance with real feeling and strong characters, and a few twists along the way.

The story starts with Penny, a highly dedicated marketing professional in Melbourne, who suddenly falls ill. Her loving and also professional boyfriend packs her off home to the family property in rural Victoria to recuperate and be cared for by her family. Naturally, Penny is not impressed and she wants her old lif
Jodi
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Debut Australian authors really are doing wonderful things as evident in Maya Linnell's first novel Wildflower Ridge. There is nothing I didn't love about this book. It's one of those novels where you fall asleep thinking about the characters.
Linnell has written an exceptional story that is both unique and heartwarming. Set in the beautiful Grampians region of Victoria Australia, Linnell pulls you into the McIntyre Park farm setting so effectively that you feel as if you are right there. W
Bron
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Allen & Unwin for my free copy.
This books has a lot of the romancey tropes I love - big city business person comes back to their country home town (leaving behind their terrible boy/girlfriend), high school sweethearts reunite and everyone can see they should be together except them. But, just when I thought this was all banter, baking, and biceps, the story took an unexpected turn and got quite thriller-y.
Overall it was a fun read, and I'm looking forward to seeing wha
Sarah Fiddelaers
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read! There was so much I loved about this book and so much that felt very, very real. The family politics, the farming take-over dramas, it was really well done. Also, the baking in this book inspired me to spend more time in the kitchen. I really enjoyed spending time with the McIntyre family and I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out!
Maya Linnell
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I might be a little biased, considering I'm the author and this is my debut novel, but I'd love all readers to know this story comes straight from the heart, with the characters, settings and events framed by the people I've been lucky enough to know, the beautiful country towns I've called home and stories I covered as a rural journalist. I hope you love Penny's story and rest assured there are plenty more books to come!
Kym Simmons
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I lost myself in ‘Wildflower Ridge’. A beautiful novel, full of love, fun, excitement, cooking and country flair. Really captures the essence of what country farm living in Australia is all about. Love keeping up with Maya’s posts, always a reminder that life is to be enjoyed, do what makes you happy and enjoy the simple pleasures!
Jessica Rankin
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

First of all thank you to Beauty and Lace and Allen and Unwin for the opportunity to read and review the debut novel by Maya Linnell Wildflower Ridge.

From the moment I started reading this book I couldn’t put it down. The storyline was intriguing and roped me in to find out more and more.

I love the rural settings of books and very much enjoyed the twists and turns along the way for this book. Not a lot of romance but a good lead up to it. I look forward to more books in t
Ava January
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever read a book that leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy?
One that is so well written that you are completely immersed in the world created and feel as if you have lived the experiences you read on the page?
A book that leaves you with a smile on your face as you close it for the last time, but also a sense of sadness because you don't want it to end?
This book ticked ALL those boxes for me.

After reading Wildflower Ridge, I felt as if I had spent time in country Victoria with my Father
Christine Read
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Penny McIntyre is a highly successful executive in a corporate world with all the accoutrements that go with it, including her corporate boyfriend. Life is good and she has her whole future mapped out.

Things don't go to plan, as she becomes ill and reluctantly has to return to the family farm, and all the problems she left behind, including her ex-boyfriend and family, to recuperate. She counts down the weeks until she can return to the life she loves. Life is not easy on the farm an
Davina Stone
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic debut novel from Maya Linnell. The pace doesn't drop for a second in this story about family, rural life and new beginnings. I particularly enjoyed the depiction of Penny, and the description of her recovery from a mystery illness while coming to terms with a major change in her career, love life and revisiting a past she had thought she wanted to leave behind. I loved how the crescendo built with a level of intrigue, a great unexpected plot twist and a little bit of the thrille ...more
Tracy Mackay
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, thank you to Allen and Unwin for my uncorrected proof.

There's a new rural fiction author in town and her name is Maya Linnell. I loved this book and what a fantastic debut novel!
I enjoyed it immensely and found it hard to put down. I loved the characters and also disliked some of them as they are "snakes in the grass". Very good descriptions of characters, the countryside and farming.
I loved the short chapters which are perfect when you say to yourself "Just one more
Jessica
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this sweet romance and family drama by debut author Maya Linnell. She knows and loves her country so beautifully. This was an Australian epic that had me rooting for Penny, her love and her entire family from start to finish.
Alyce Caswell
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This felt like the contemporary version of a historical family saga - I felt like I'd known the MacIntyres for years. This is rural fiction at its finest and most immersive. A ripper of a yarn and a bloody good debut.
Natalie Murray
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wildflower Ridge was my first time reading rural romance, and I was NOT disappointed; in fact, I became completely hooked from the first chapter. Maya Linnell is a truly wonderful writer and a definite talent who I'm sure will write many more page-turning books! Her characters are well drawn and believable, and I fell totally in love with the hero, Tim (heart flutter). The heroine, Penny, was also an addictive character. I literally could not put this book down and read most of it in one day. I ...more
Taryn
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read couldn't put it down.
A lovely Australia book with detail characters that you can't help but fall in love with.
Anna Loder
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m only new to Australian rural romance, but I don’t know why! All the eucalyptus, the scones and ‘raiding the tucker tent’ I loved it! I can’t wait for the next Maya Linnell novel.
Clare Griffin
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! An easy read with a story that moved quickly, with a family that I cared about. I look forward to more from this exciting new author.
Suzanne
A new author added to the Australian Network.
Solid story of country girl turned city executive who falls ill and needs to return home to recharge and realign her life.
An accident that almost ends her father's life causes a major reassessment and reignites an old flame.
Michelle Parsons
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A charming story that will reel you in from the first page. Maya creates such real and relatable characters in her debut novel. There is grief and conflict mixed with love and forgiveness in this beautiful novel about a family that has grown apart but come together when needed. Set against a backdrop of rural Australia, the imagery is wonderful. I can't wait to see what Maya has in store for us next time.
Margi. O’Brien
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved Maya Linnell’s Wildflower Ridge. Just one of those books you’re so disappointed when it ends! I just wanted it to keep on going and learn more about the McIntyre family! Guess I’m waiting til next year!
Zoe
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well written debut novel by Maya Linnell which had me hooked from the beginning. I look forward to reading the coming books in the series.
Narelle Mackander
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an easy book to read. I enjoyed the Australian flair and rural romance. It was easy to connect to the characters and get lost in the country ways. A little predictable but still enjoyable.

• The Desert Midwife
  • The One
  • Matters of the Heart
  • Something in the Wine
  • The Model Wife
  • The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle
  • The Ex Girlfriend
  • Six Minutes
  • Mr Right Now (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #2)
  • Taking Tom Murray Home
  • The Cinema at Starlight Creek
  • A Lifetime of Impossible Days
  • Heart of the Cross
  • Secrets of Silvergum
  • Love And Other Battles
  • Just One Wish
  • Love Song (Daughters of the Outback, #3)
  • Devil's Lair
Maya Linnell grew up in a small country town, climbing towering gum trees and reading her way through her family's bookshelves before discovering a never-ending supply of novels at the local library. She found her feet in journalism, working at a rural newspaper before segueing into public relations and now fiction writing and blogging for Romance Writers Australia. Wildflower Ridge is her debut novel ...more