Start by marking “Once More To The Rodeo: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Once More To The Rodeo: A Memoir

Once More To The Rodeo: A Memoir

Five years into fatherhood, Calvin Hennick is plagued by self-doubt and full of questions. How can he teach his son to be a man, when his own father figures abandoned him? As a white man, what can he possibly teach his biracial son about how to live as a black man in America? And what does it even mean to be a man today, when society’s expectations of men seem to change ...more
Paperback
Published December 10th 2019 by Pushcart Press

To ask other readers questions about Once More To The Rodeo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once More To The Rodeo

Start your review of Once More To The Rodeo: A Memoir
Beth Hunsberger
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this book.

In his memoir, Hennick reflects on his own relationship with his father, his relationship with his son, and the differences they experience in society because of their skin color. Calvin and his son take a road trip to the Midwest, and those days in the car are perfect for reflection, exploration, discussion, and having the absolute best time together. This book is emotional and touching, and while it may resonate with men about the type of father they
Tracy
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influenced my opinion or this review.

Can we go back in time to find answers to questions left unanswered or why our parents made the choices they did? Did our parents choices made when we were children affect our future choices? Are our parenting style and reactions imprinted on us by our parents? These questions are the foundation of this book.

Once more to the Rodeo is a wonderful journal of self
Maureen
Not what I was expecting as there was very little about being black in America but mostly about the writer's shitty childhood. But then all memoirists had awful childhoods.
Angela
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was poignant and at times heartbreaking; other times I laughed out loud. A look inside what the author is internalizing as he parents his own child(ren), as he struggles with the less than ideal parenting from the parental figures in his own life. This book is honest, real, and it makes the reader think about their own perspective, how our upbringing and relationships even today affect who we are and how we relate to others.
Lisa Duffy
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A stunning exploration of family, identity and fatherhood by a gifted writer. Beautifully crafted, and at times, laugh out loud funny—this is a book worth savoring.
IquoImoh Terry
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book about coming to the realizations that you don’t have to be perfect to raise your child and just because your father was absent does not mean you have to be absent. Once more to the Rodeo was a warm and heartfelt book.
Katrina Gonsalves
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting, but not what I thought it was going to be about. And who wouldn't love sweet Nile.
Craig
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Melissa
Smart and thoughtful.
Adam Santi
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once More to the Rodeo is an honest and well-written story. Hennick casually mixes humor with the sometimes heartbreaking details of his past and connects it to the father he is today.
Daisy Dooley
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once More to the Rodeo is a heartfelt and deeply moving memoir documenting a father and son road trip. Calvin wants to take his five year old son Nile on a trip that will bring them back to an annual rodeo in Calvin's home town. Ostensibly Calvin wants to provide his son with an education and an experience that will cement their bond and will provide a foundation to help Nile cope with any challenges he may experience in his life as a mixed heritage child. However, what Calvin discovers is that ...more
Adam Reynolds

• What Happens in Paradise
  • True Places
  • Sea Sirens
  • My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Dear Sweet Pea
  • Guts
  • Every Thing You Are
  • All This Could Be Yours
  • Long Bright River
  • The Family
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • The Perfect Dress: A sweet, feel-good romance that will sweep you off your feet this Christmas
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)