Start by marking “The Shape of Night” as Want to Read:
The Shape of Night

The Shape of Night

'This will haunt you. Riveting!' Shari Lapena

We’ve all done things we’re ashamed of . . .

When Ava arrives at Brodie’s Watch, she thinks she has found the perfect place to hide from her past. Something terrible happened, something she is deeply ashamed of, and all she wants is to forget.

But the old house on the hill both welcomes and repels her and Ava q/>We’ve/> ...more
Published October 3rd 2019 by Bantam Press (first published October 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Shape of Night, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Leah Fauller
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Debra
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ava Collette, a cookbook author, has rented a home in a coastal town in Maine in order to get some distance from her past and her life in Boston. She tells everyone that she needs the space and quiet in order to focus on her book about New England Cuisine. The old beautiful house she has rented is named Brodie's Watch which was named after its owner Brodie who was a sea captain who was lost at sea.

Soon after moving in, she learns that another woman had rented the home before her but left abrupt
Kylie D
I'm not really sure how to review this book, while quick and easy to read, it wasn't really what I was expecting. We have Ava who, in the wake of a personal tragedy, leaves Boston to take a rental for the summer in coastal Maine, where she's determined to finish the book she is writing. She is able to get the rental on a huge oceanfront mansion cheaply, as it has a checkered past, and is said to be haunted.

Ava tries to get on with her life, and though making progress with her book, s
Liz
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoyed Gerritsen’s prior series, Rizzoli and Isles, so I was willing to give this standalone a try. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that paranormal, gothic mysteries are not my normal cup of tea but I need to step outside my favorites every now and then.

Ava is a food writer, looking to work on her cookbook. She rents an almost renovated mansion in Maine to have the peace and quiet she needs. She’s also running away from her prior life in Boston. We are only given small illusions as to how sh
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Even now I still dream about Brodie's Watch, and the nightmare is always the same. I am standing in the gravel driveway and the house looms before me like a ghost ship adrift in the fog. Around my feet mist curls and slithers and it coats my skin in icy rime. I hear waves rolling in from the sea and crashing against the cliffs, and overhead, seagulls scream a warning to stay far, far away. I know that Death waits behind that front door, yet I do not retreat because the house is calling ...more
Carolyn
I love Tess Gerritsen’s Rizzoli & Isles series so was looking forward to read this, especially when it sounded like a foray into a very different type of novel - a gothic paranormal mystery. Unfortunately it didn’t quite work for me. I’m not sure whether it was the handsome ghost who was into BDSM, the too good to be true town doctor who instantly falls for the main character or the mysterious deaths of a number of women or just that the whole did not fit well together.

The main c
Thomas
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars. Ava Collette is a food writer who rents a house in a small coastal Maine town. She has promised her publisher a book of historic recipes. She decides getting away from her home in Boston will help her write. She experiments by making a dish from each recipe. There are 2 carpenters repairing the house who happily become guinea pigs. They are in heaven because all her cooking is delicious.
But then the ghost of the original owner comes to her. There are some disturb
Brenda
Tess Gerritsen is an author that’s an automatic go to for me – without knowing anything about it, I’ll read it. But I’m seriously wondering if The Shape of Night was written by someone else, it’s that different from anything the author has written before. A one hundred and fifty year old ghost; a woman living in said ghost’s house; that same woman drinking herself to oblivion almost every night; and there’s more…

Ava rented Brodie’s Watch in Maine for the summer so she could complete the m
Maureen
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a departure from her usual books, Tess Gerritsen has written a gothic paranormal stand-alone mystery. Having loved gothic books, I was eager to read this one, and it did not disappoint!

Ava is a food writer in Boston who is writing a cookbook on traditional New England cooking. She rents a house in a small town on the coast of Maine, where she can write her book and escape a tragedy in her life and find healing from her feelings of shame and guilt.

She finds the house da
Jean
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Shape of Night , Tess Gerritsen’s new standalone novel, is nothing like her Rizzoli & Isles series. Fans of Jane and Maura may – or may not – love this paranormal chiller.

Ava is a food writer who needs peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of Boston to finish researching and writing her new cookbook. When Brodie’s Watch, a late-1800s mansion in the small town on the Maine coast becomes available for rent, Ava feels that she has found the ideal spot. She can cook and wri
Judy
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great ghost story! I couldn't put the book down - just had to keep racing through to see what was going to happen next. Although of couse it's unbelievable. I couldn't decide if the main character, Ava, was imagining things in an alcohol-induced stupor or if the things that were happening to her were real.

I didn't expect supernatural/paranormal from Tess Gerritsen, so I was surprised, but it is well done! This ghost story should have an "R" rating though, so be forewarned.
Louise Wilson
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ava Collett is a chef who writes cookbooks. Shes also feeling guilty about something she has done. She decides to get away from it all for a short while and rents Brodie's Watch, a very old house with a sea view in Maine. The house had originally been built by sea captain, Jeremiah Brodie, but it's now being restored to its former glory. Its ot long before Ava sees a ghost, the ghost of Jeremiah Brodie. He tells Ava he wishes her no harm. Ava starts to look forward to Jeremiah's visits. But then ...more
Pauline
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ava rents a old house in Maine to spend some time writing her new book.
From the start she feels that she is not alone in the house and that she is being watched. At night she can hear noises and she can see shadows. She begins to wonder if its her imagination or if there is someone else in the house.
A ghost story full of suspense that had me hooked from the beginning.
This is the first Tess Gerritsen book that I have read and I will be looking out for more of her books.
Tha
Milena
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Shape of Night is a gothic paranormal mystery from the author of Rizzoli & Isles series. When I picked up this book, I did not expect it to be quite so creepy and erotic at the same time. I was pleasantly surprised.

The main heroine Ava leaves Boston and moves into an old house on the coast of Maine to write her cookbook and to escape some traumatic events of her past. The house appears to be haunted by the original owner, Captain Brodie, who died more than a hundred years ago. Also, th
Luvtoread
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating And Suspenseful!

Ava Collette is a national food writer working on a new book about some of New England best- loved recipes and her book is way behind schedule. So Ava rented an oceanfront house (sight unseen) in a historic town (Tucker's Cove) in Maine thinking she might be inspired by by the nostalgia of the area and the ambience of the sea. Ava's only companion is her Maine coon cat (26 pounds) who goes everywhere with her. Shortly after she moves in, Ava feels as if s
Maureen
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense

She finds the house d
Lisa Gardner
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this gothic twist on a classic thriller set up.
Schizanthus
The prologue sets this book up as something with the potential to be deliciously creepy so I was eager to continue reading. I absolutely fell in love with Tess’ Rizzoli & Isles series (both book and TV versions) but have only read one of her standalone books prior to this one, Playing with Fire.

I read a couple of early reviews prior to beginning this book that mentioned (view spoiler). I thought, ‘Nah, it’s Tess. She wouldn’t go there, surel
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Wow. Crazy and spooky story!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just love it when a book blows me away. I’ve had several instances this month that a book completely surprised me. The Shape of Night is one of those books.

This is a story within a story. You know she is escaping from something, you just don’t know what or why, but we get glimpses along the way.

You know the house is more than what it seems. The town thinks it’s haunted and it very well may be. But there’s also secre
Cyndi
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here’s the genius of the brilliant Tess Gerritsen, in a few words she can make a rose blossom and you’ll swear you can catch the scent. Her words have almost a musical quality so when she adds a ghost into the mix even the most doubting sceptic believes it.
In this book we have a woman who had led a bit of a wild life but seems to have fled to a coastal town in Maine to write a cookbook. The semi isolation makes sense for the creative genius. And maybe the unusual sightings can be blamed on the
Gary
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the Rizzoli and Isles series and generally like Tess Gerritsen books so was keen to read this new novel.
On starting the book I had mixed feelings, I was looking forward to reading one of my favourite authors books but not sure of the genre, romantic ghost story. The more I read the more I enjoyed it but still not 100% sure what to rate it.
The main character Ava leaves Boston for an old house on the coast of Maine to try to write a cookbook. She is also trying to
Amanda
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ava Collette is a writer working on a cookbook, she has rented out a property in Maine as she is escaping from her past and a terrible tragedy that has left her feeling guilty.

The property is called Brodie’s Watch, it was owned by captain Jeremiah Brodie who died when his ship sank 100 years ago. The last person to rent the house mysteriously packed up and left in a hurry, leaving several personal possessions behind.

Ava is not impressed at the house, she finds it dark and imposing b
Fred
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
October New Book Release Read
October/November Group Read 2019

Tess Gerritsen is one of my favorite authors.
This book is a romance suspense, that I did not expect. It’s far from her Rizzoli & Isles trademark.

The first person is Ava Collette, a Boston Food Book author, she goes to the quiet small town, Tucker Cove, Maine, to finish her new cookbook on “New England Recipes”.

She rents a historical house, built by the now dead, Capt. Brodie. This seacoast “Watch-House” was built in
Linden
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ava is a food writer from Boston who has leased a reputedly haunted Brodie’s Watch in Maine for the summer. She has a lot of personal baggage and guilt over things in her past, and isn’t sure whether she is interacting with the 19th century sea captain’s ghost, or is just overindulging in alcohol. Apparently there have been a few suspicious deaths connected to this house—could the ghost be responsible? I liked the way the author captured the atmosphere of coastal Maine and the lonely old house, ...more
The Cats’ Mother
I’m a big Tess Gerritsen fan, having read most of her Rizzoli & Isles series, and her medical thrillers, so when this appeared on NetGalley I requested it without even reading the summary or any reviews. She has taken a risk here with a switch of genre, which I respect, but by mixing up paranormal, erotica and cosy mystery, then darkening it into a Girl on the train-ish psychological suspense, I fear she will leave most fan disappointed. She has written (bad) romantic suspense before, but th ...more
Sylvia
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A captivating and seductive tale exploring the dark embrace of grief and guilt, reminding us that nothing can haunt us as insidiously as our personal demons. This is the incomparable Gerritsen at her finest!
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction~on hiatus))

Gothic, paranormal suspense?! Yes, please! Especially if it's written by one of my all-time favorite suspense authors! If you haven't picked up one of Tess Gerritsen's novels, I highly suggest you do so―her Rizzoli and Isles series is one of the best, in my opinion, and if you like medical thrillers, you definitely need to check her out! Obviously, I'm a huge fan, so I can't tell you how thrilled I was when I received a copy of The Shape of Night for review.

Ava Collet
Nan Williams
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: netgalley, no-more, kindle
Having enjoyed many of Tess Gerritsen’s novels in the past, I was looking forward to this new offering. This psychological horror theme is a change from the medically based suspense thrillers of yesteryear.

In the first half the plot seemed to be “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir” meets “50 Shades of Gray”. Then the character who had disappeared (prior to the beginning of the book) turned up murdered so that added a murder and suspense element to the plot. And OH! Of course, we had the current
Karen Kay
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

Ava Collette flees Boston and rents an old home named Brodie's Watch on a remote coastal peninsula of Maine, hoping to work on a cookbook inspired by New England cuisine that she's been trying to finish for months. She immediately feels at peace in the isolated house--until she starts to hear strange noises.

So very disappointed with this one, I ditched the last third of the book except the last chapter to see if I had the mystery part
Gary
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
☕️Kimberly
The Shape of Night delivered a suspenseful thriller with a touch of murder, a dash of romance, and a twist of the paranormal.

I’ve seen this classified as a paranormal romance, but I think it will disappoint those looking for the romantic aspect. Instead, go into this expecting a suspense thriller. The tale is atmospheric with paranormal elements. It comes with a nice side of dark romance.

If you are a foodie you will love all the recipe chitchat. Our protagonist, Ava Colle
Tess Gerritsen Fans: * The Shape of Night (Group Read - October/November 2019) 6 13 Oct 07, 2019 11:02PM
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a roman