Start by marking “One Dark, Two Light” as Want to Read:
One Dark, Two Light

One Dark, Two Light

FROM THE TOP TEN BESTSELLER.

New Year's Eve, London.

Outside the Hope & Glory pub, a man has been left to die. A victim of extraordinary violence, he will never walk or speak again. He remains in hospital, nameless, until criminal defence lawyer Sarah Kellerman walks onto his ward.

Sarah barely recognises the man she once worked with he was honorable and kind what

Kindle Edition
Published March 1st 2020 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about One Dark, Two Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Dark, Two Light

Start your review of One Dark, Two Light
Paromjit
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first taste of Ruth Mancini's crime fiction series featuring criminal defence lawyer, Sarah Kellerman, a wonderful blend of the personal and crime. Sarah is a single mother, with a young autistic son, Ben, his father, Andy, couldn't cope with Ben's disability, leaving them for Australia. After struggling to care for Ben for so long on her own, Andy returns, wanting to be a father to Ben again, something that Sarah is ultimately happy about, as Ben's interests are paramount and Andy ...more
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quote:

Im not asking you for a favour, here, Andy. Im asking you to be a father. Its unconditional. There are no rewards, no prizes, no strings attached. Were parents because we chose to be parents I am not going to thank you for looking after your own son. If you truly believe that fathers are important enough to fuck up our lives, then stick around this time and be one!

My Review:

This was a confounding and complex plot with several complicated and well-nuanced storylines, frustrating
Mandy White
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
In 2018 I read and loved In The Blood by Ruth Mancini. this was the first book featuring lawyer Sarah Kellerman.. In 2020 Sarah is back in One Dark, Two Light.

Sarah Kellerman is an awesome woman - a full time lawyer who genuinely cares about her clients and will do anything to help them, She is also a single mother to her autistic son, Ben. She never stops and is always tired. But she has recently started dating again and is happy with Will. But she hasn't heard from him in a while, before
Louise Wilson
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sarah is a lawyer. She has an autistic son called Ben. Her husband Andy had walked out on them a couple of years ago. He said he couldn't cope with his sons disability. He went to Australia but now he's back wanting to play his part again. Sarah is in a new relationship with Will. He is in the hospital fighting an infection in his leg. Whilst visiting Will, Sarah spots an old colleague, Mark Fielding. Mark had been a police custody sergeant but he had recieved life threatening injuries on New ...more
Lou
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
One Dark, Two Light is the second book to feature lawyer Sarah Kellerman and boy is it an exciting and excellent legal thriller. Whilst it would help to read the opening instalment in the series before this there is enough backstory to help you follow along. Sarah Kellerman is a criminal defence lawyer and mother to autistic son, Ben. Her husband Andy left as he claimed he simply couldn't handle his son's disability and now lives in Australia; Sarah amazingly manages to juggle caring for Ben and ...more
Shalini
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book by author Ruth Mancini. An edge of the seat thriller which kept me completely engrossed in the darkness of the night of New Year's Eve.

Sarah Kellerman a solicitor went to meet her friend Will at the hospital where she saw a man on the next bed whom she knew from work. A hit and run victim. Mark. A cop who had wife and kids who were never notified about the accident. Sarah took over.

My first book by this author, and the main character grew on me as I kept reading. She was as
Angela Groom
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Outside the Hope and glory pub a man is a victim of extraordinary violence and is left for dead.
He is taken to hospital, but no-one knows who he is. His wallet has been stolen and he is a mystery. That all changes the day Sarah Kellerman goes into the hospital to visit her colleague and recognises the guy in the hospital bed as Mark a policeman whom she had worked with over the years. But why didn't anyone know who he was, if he was a police officer? Why wasn't he reported missing? and as she
Lel Budge
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sarah Kellerman is a lawyer, shes also a single mum to Ben as her partner had left them many months before. She had started seeing Will, but he seems to have just started ignoring her.

However, she receives a message to say Will is in hospital fighting a really nasty infection, hence the disappearing act. So she goes to visit him in hospital and hes very unwell but hopefully will recover, while shes there, Sarah sees someone she knows, Mark Felding, a custody sergeant and a well respected
Liz Barnsley
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

I really engaged with Sarah Kellerman in the first book to feature her so was very happy to dive back into her world, one of legal shenanigans and stressful parenting..

When visiting hospital she recognises a friend from her past, seriously injured and seemingly anonymous. This sets off a chain of events that has Sarah involved in lies and cover ups. Meanwhile her personal life is also somewhat in upheaval with the reappearance of her childs Dad and the hidden secrets new love Will has been
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
One Dark, Two Light is my first but definitely not my last read by this author as this was a great read.

Sarah is a single mum to Ben who is autistic. While visiting her boyfriend Will in hospital she sees an old colleague in a nearby bed. He was beaten up and left to die. With being told to not get involved and wondering what Will is hiding from her Sarah finds herself wanting to know the truth.

A really well written story with a great storyline. Ill certainly be recommending this to my
Jacqueline  sharp
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Ruth Mancini, so my first meeting with criminal defence lawyer Sarah Kellerman. This is a well written, well p,otter story. Engaging from the start.

Sarah is not just a lawyer, she is also mum to her autistic son Ben, the father Andy, had walked out and flown off to Australia unable to handle, his sons disability. Now he is back, wanting to be dad again. Sarah agrees because for her Ben is her top priority.

Sarah is in a fairly new relationship with Will, but
Amanda
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the synopsis for 'One Dark, Two Light' and it certainly sounded like just the kind of legal thriller that I have a particular fondness for. My addiction to legal thrillers is partly down to my addiction to 'Law & Order' and a soft spot for Jack McCoy. Anyway enough about me so back to the book review I must go. I was eager to start reading and so without further ado, I grabbed a cup of tea, grabbed my cup of tea and settled down to read. Oh boy, did I enjoy reading 'One Dark, Two ...more
Jane Hunt
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Youre invested in this story from the first page. The relatable characters are easy to empathise. Drama, twists and intensity keep you absorbed and turning the pages, right until the end. Cleverly written the story, unfolds like a Pandoras box of betrayal and lies. There are three main plot lines, two of which converge as the story progresses. The world-building is authentic, underscored by obvious knowledge, and research of the criminal and legal world and how they interact.

Character-driven,
Annarella
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good legal thriller that kept me on the edge till the end.
I appreciated the storytelling, the solid mystery, the well researched background, and the fleshed out cast of characters.
Even if I had no issues with the plot or the characters I think it's better to read the previous instalment.
Hope to read the next book soon.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Carole Tyrrell
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it

Its New Years Eve in a dodgy inner London boozer, The Hope and Glory, and one regulars had enough. He leaves as the countdown begins but its the last one hell ever hear. Someone runs up from behind and attacks him with an iron bar and as he stumbles a 4 x 4 runs him down. Someone definitely wants him dead.
Sarah Kellerman has a complicated lifestyle. Shes in court with her 15 year old client, Jerome and his mum Georgina as hes given a final chance after being accused of stealing cars. Meanwhile
Maria
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
It seems that lately I am discovering more and more new series to be addicted, so please dont hate me if your pile of books increases drastically!
One Dark, Two Light is the story of the criminal defense lawyer Sarah Kellerman, she is visiting a friend at the hospital when she recognizes a John Doe patient at the UCI and this will be the moment her life will turn upside down ready?
I am sure youll be wondering what makes this book different from the others, starting that its not really a case
Karen
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in this series - In The Blood, and loved the character of Sarah, so was looking forward to this instalment!
This was such an easy read, in a really good way. One of those books that you are 30% into before you even realise it because the story flows so well! Not too complex a story that it was difficult to follow, but just twisty enough that it keeps you reading.
A brilliant follow up to book one and I really hope to see more from this character very soon!
You could
Traceysyearinbooks
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book that I had read by Ruth Mancini.
The character of Sarah Kellerman was excellent. She was likeable and so well developed. There was lots of twists and turns in both her personal life and her work life.
This book was such a page turner and I couldnt put it down. There was so much going on but it was incredibly easy to follow.
It was written so well and filled with twists, turns and suspense.
I would highly recommend this excellent page turner.
Pam Chantrell
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I really enjoyed this book. I found the characters engaging, if a little frustrating (but isn't that part of the fun of reading a book?) and the storyline kept my attention. I'll be looking out more from this author.
Morgan Schulman
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review

So so good until the ending. Five star book with one star ending, Ill split he difference and give it a three
Subhajit Das

• The Good Mother
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale #3)
  • Six Wicked Reasons
  • Haven't They Grown
  • Three Hours
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Happy Ever After
  • Little White Lies
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • A Body in the Bookshop (Kitt Hartley Yorkshire Mysteries, #2)
Ruth Mancini was born in South-West London and started her career as a marketing executive for a publisher before undertaking a post-graduate diploma in law and retraining as a solicitor. Ruth has spent the past twenty years in and out of courts and police stations, representing those accused of crimes. She still practises as a lawyer for a large criminal law firm with offices in London, ...more

News & Interviews