Start by marking “Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)

Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth #11)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  3,082 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Taking a vacation in order to ride out the storm of a broken engagement, Constable Hamish Macbeth visits a bed-and-breakfast at coastal Skay, where he meets an annoying array of characters and finds himself the prime suspect in a murder.
Published June 1st 1996 by Mysterious Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Nag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Nag

Kelsey Hanson
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Spoilers ahead! You've been warned!

Dang it M.C. Beaton! Was that REALLY necessary?! After stomping over my heart in the last book, she found it necessary to kill off Hamish's dog. I am a dog lover and I intentionally avoid books where this happens because it causes me to cry like a baby. Honestly, once that happened I didn't particularly care for the rest of the story I was just bitter until I finished it up. After two very depressing books in a row, I really hope the Beaton lightens up a bit in
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
After his engagement is broken, Constable Hamish Macbeth is looking forward to rest and relaxation in the coastal town of Skay. But when he arrives at the somewhat dismal bed and breakfast, his fellow guests include the annoying spinster, Miss Gunnery, a single man, a London family, two young "tarts", and Bob Harris, who so nags his wife that everyone wants to kill him.And then someone does. The couple who run the boarding house are not above suspicion either.
I listened to this story with great
Ivonne Rovira
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy lovers looking for something different
Constable Hamish Macbeth may take a holiday, but, of course, murder never does.

While taking a cheap holiday from Lochdubh, Hamish stays at a boarding house from hell in a town even farther north in Scotland called Skag. A perfectly dreadful Englishman, Bob Harris, unites the other holiday-makers against him as he berates his poor wife and makes himself unpleasant to all and sundry in his drunken binges. When Harris turns up murdered, there's no end of suspects.

After the disappointing Death of a
Kate
"A new mystery in the Constable Hamish Macbeth mystery series ... is as delicious a treat as Devon cream and scones. This time out the red-haired, irascible Macbeth has left his tiny Scottish village for a holiday with his dog, Towser. True to form, Macbeth doesn't venture far from the Highlands he loves, just a few hours away to Skag, a forgotten North Sea resort town that offers rund-dwon guest houses, a fish-and-chips shop, the hauntingsounds of its 'singing sands' and murder.

"Until his recen
C.J. Prince
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you've read any of my reviews of the adventures and mishaps of police constable Hamish Macbeth, you know I'm hooked on this series.

"Death of a Nag" is #11 and I highly recommend reading them in order. While the victim and circumstance will be familiar, the subplot of characters in the small northern Scottish town of Lochdubh will pull you in a desire for chronology.

Yes, there is a horrid man who is verbally abusive to his wife. Yes, everyone is annoyed and insulted by him. And yes, you alrea
Kimberley
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As a Scotswoman I loved the use of the local Dialect. I could tell I was going to be hooked from chapter one. A short book so was finished in 2 days. Will look put for the others in the series.
Caitlin
After the events of Death of a Charming Man, Hamish Macbeth is back to being a regular police constable and is nursing a broken heart after his relationship with the lovely Priscilla Halburton-Smythe fell apart. Generally blamed in the sleepy Highland village of Lochdubh for breaking Priscilla’s heart (since he was the one who ended their engagement), Hamish decides to get away for a bit and picks the not too distant, charming coastal village of Skag. Shortly after arriving at the bed and breakf ...more
Cybercrone
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very flat characters. Plot not too bad.
Michael
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the better ones in this series.
The Flooze
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable and terribly sad in too many ways.

It seems murder follows Hamish, even on vacation. A cheap summer holiday turns into a nightmare of suspicion, with our PC right in the middle of it. His fellow holiday-makers at the b&b seem a nice crowd and it's a weary and confused Hamish who is forced to look upon his new friends in a harsh light.

There's so much here to muddle his emotions that we can't blame Hamish for taking a very long time to figure it all out. But the emotions m
Peggy
I've only read a few in this series, in fact not even in order which is not how I usually read series but not all are available at our library. This is my favorite so far and in my opinion the supporting characters are very well written.

Hamish has broken up with Priscilla and is feeling depressed so he decides to take a vacation. The B & B that he stays at has terrible food and isn't nice at all although he grows attached to some of the other vacationers staying there. But all is not as it s
Elisabeth
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this 11th Hamish Macbeth murder mystery, Hamish is fed up. Fed up because of his breakup with Priscilla and doubly fed up because the villagers in Lochdubh cannot speak to him without mentioning his relationship failure, Hamish decides that it is time he took a holiday. Not wanting to be too adventurous he decides to travel to the seaside town of Skag with promises from the holiday brochures that do not come true.
Hamish finds himself stuck in a boarding house which is cheap but certainly NOT
Tim
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading a second one of this series reveals some of the repetitions and similarities of the texts. Not Encyclopedia Brown, but some familiar returns. Hamish MacBeth on vacation at a cheap beachside inn, makes some friends who all become suspects when a murder is committed. Dark humor and funny scenes, all with a veneer of bleak Scottish Calvinism (assumed) in the background.
Izzy Holmes
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
First time I have read Hamish Macbeth have enjoyed MC Beaton before but the gentle Agatha Raisin books. Hamish takes a holiday to the Scottish town of Skag in a truly awful B and B during his stay there is a murder that he is able to use his detective skills to investigate loved the characters perfect book to read with a pot of tea and scone
BJ Rose
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery, series
This one just dragged for me - I was pretty sure who the murderer was early on, but had to wait for Hamish to provide the motive. Everything just seemed so dull and dreary - and then (view spoiler) The last one wasn't all that great, either (view spoiler). I think I'll be moving on - goodbye Hamish...
Badseedgirl
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read-in
In a refreshing twist the "Nag" turns out to be a Dude. I guess Ms. Beaton felt she could not call it "Death of a Douche!" Hamish suffers the death of a loved one that was so sad. For the first time in 11 books I don't think Hamish was happy to solve this case.
Deanne
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crimethriller
Another episode of Hamish Macbeth, still find it difficult to not see Robert Carlyle in the main part. This time Hamish takes a holiday, though once again he gets embroiled in a murder except this time he looks like suspect number one.
Kim
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Hamish goes on holiday after the break of his engagement and ends up in the middle of anopther murder investigation. This one wasn't my favourite in the series- but I still enhoyed the read.
Mandy Huot
May 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
I could not get into this book at all. I gave up long before the murder even happened because it just took too long. I hope not all of Beaton's books are like this.
Kristin Davison
A delightful surprise, I will defiantly be picking up more of this series. This one very much reminds me of a study in scarlet.
Peter Barr
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death of a Nag is the 11th in the Hamish Macbeth mystery series by M.C.Beaton. Macbeth is a police constable in a small Highland Scottish village. In this episode, he is on vacation in another small Scottish village seeking time to himself after the breakup of his engagement. He ends up in a bed and breakfast with a group of vacationers and one is murdered. As usual, the deceased is a horrid character. The likely suspect is one of the vacationer and Macbeth seeks them out. This is a satisfying s ...more
Sue
Hamish goes on holiday and gets involved in, you guessed it, a murder investigation. Although this time he is also one of the suspects. It's a bit of a change as he is on the other side and gains an affinity with the other suspects until he finally sees the truth and solves the murder for another Inspector who has been using him to solve it and then take the credit, just like his nemesis back home. Another fun entry but without as much of the eccentric locals since most of the action takes place ...more
Annie
Another excellent Hamish Macbeth ‘series, I really appreciate the way she describes the characters, the landscape. It’s funny to find these Scottish expressions and the difference she notes between the English and the Scots in a humoristic way. Hamish is a wonderful man, always ready to help friends or neighbours in difficulty. He looks, and pretends to be stupid towards his boss and the people who are unkind with him. But in fact he is very clever and is always the one who soles the crimes!
Nancy Cook-senn
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Hamish, getting the cold shoulder from the village since he dumped Priscilla, takes a vacation to a seaside boarding house where a spinster teacher falls for him and the other residents look to him as leader and entertainer. Using his hunches, his craftiness and his understanding of human nature, Hamish helps the local police solve the murder of a guest. Sadly, Hamish also suffers a loss.
Jan Šimak
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
The Hamish Macbeth series is very interesting, the setting is fascinating, the plot is quite intriguing, however after reading 11 books from the series it seems as if you read them all. The plot seems to get repetitive and you can usually guess the killer after reading 1/3 of the book.
Of course, if you like detective stories and nice Scottish countryside you should definitely give it a go.
Marie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Caridad Laack
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the ending.

This ending was by predictable at all. The entire mystery in Snag had a plot where anyone could have done it. Hard to say anything else without giving away spoilers.
I really enjoyed it and would recommend this book.
Stacielynn
On vacation with Constable Hamish MacBeth is bound to bring about a murder. The seaside setting of a cheap boarding house offers a wonderful place to meet a wide array of fascinating characters.
I wasn't disappointed.
Donna
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hamish, having fallen out of favour with the folks of his village, takes a cheap holiday at a nearby seaside town. The cast of characters and and unravelling stories gives a satisfying, cozy mystery read. Appreciate that there's no sex or graphic violence.
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Decked with Folly (Pennyfoot Hotel #17)
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)
“A tart temper never mellows with age, and a sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use. —Washington Irving” 0 likes