Start by marking “A Tale of Mer-der (His Ghoul Friday Book 1)” as Want to Read:
A Tale of Mer-der (His Ghoul Friday Book 1)

A Tale of Mer-der

(His Ghoul Friday #1)

Book 1 in a fun witch cozy mystery series!
Australian journalist Misty Friday has several problems, not the least of which is her name. Misty's mean boss sends her to an island resort in the Great Barrier Reef to investigate one paranormal event, but mermaids and murder throw her off the track.
When Misty makes waves, she attracts the attention of the murderer and one mys
Published April 2nd 2019 by Best Cosy Books (first published June 18th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of Mer-der, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tale of Mer-der

Thomas
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Misty Friday. Paranormal reporter. Since she was no longer able to get a job at a reputable newspaper after her ex discovered she was a practicing witch.

Her boss, (Skinny) is sending her to the Whitehaven resort island to investigate and report on the unusual heat wave during the winter time there.

Once on the island, Misty has her hands full with investigating. There has been a murder, there's rumors of Mermaids, and large black cats on the island. And also rumors that there are people on the
Miss W Book Reviews
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
A Tale of Mer-Der is the first book in the new His Ghoul Friday Book Series.

Meet Misty Friday, a paranormal reporter for the Ghoulzette (I love that name, but Misty doesn't) .

Misty's boss, Skinny, sends her to a luxury resort to investigate the heat during the wintertime.

When she gets there, she stumbles upon a dead body. There are rumors of large black cats and mermaids at the resort and there are attempts made on Misty's life, not to mention a "special book".

I love the characters in this book
Wulfwyn
This book was a lot of fun for me to read. With witches, vampires, shifters and mermaids it is very much a paranormal cozy mystery. I wasn’t certain what to expect. The cover enticed me, (I think it may have been changed), though the witch on it gave it the illusion of possibly being for younger people. When I began reading I saw that it wasn’t juvenile. The story was a good one. I didn’t know who it was until right before the reveal. I think this was mostly because I was having such a good time ...more
Barbara Hackel
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Misty Friday gets sent to a tourist destination island in North Queensland, it is one of the best assignments she has gotten from the paranormal magazine where she works. Her boss, always cheap as possible, sends her to the cheapest luxury resort on the island, which is still a luxury resort. The story? Why is the winter like summer there? Only Misty is barely off the boat when she is involved in mermaid sightings and murder. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong in this fun first of ...more
Laura Beauregard
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
New Series was just ok...

I read all Ms. Best's novels. Her Series are entertaining and the characters are unique.
This new series was just...ok. I wanted to like it, loved the premise.
The main character was a witch. She told us many times. The o my witchcraft she practiced was putting a leaf in her sandals.
Skinny was too annoying and abusive. I get She is the bad guy so to speak, but it was obnoxious.
The plot itself had potential. But lost itself.
Too much going on. It got confusing. Mermaids, s
Renee Arthur
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Misty works for the Ghoulzette, a paranormal magazine. When her boss, Cordelia aka Skinny, sends her to Whitehaven Island for an assignment about a weather anomaly, she's not sure what to think. Before she even gets to Whitehaven, she meets a group from a photography club on the ferry and they're heading to the beach to see a mermaid. Like most people, Misty doesn't believe in mermaids but tags along anyway. While they don't find a mermaid, they do find the keeper of the botanical gardens dead. ...more
Krystyna
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Have read something very, very similar to this

A good read but I have read something extremely similar to this. It really stopped me from enjoying it as I should. Nice characters but still need a bit more beefing up.
She has been forced to take this job as her ex-boyfriend had bad mouthed her to all and sundry. Now she has the boss from hell and works for a paranormal magazine. Her boss is sending her to do an article on the weather experienced at a group of islands. She doesn't expect to see pho
Rosemary
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is going to be a fun series. Misty is a journalist for a paranormal magazine. Her newshound boss sends her on an assignment to check out a strange weather issue but Misty ends up finding and discovers much more unusual things..mermaids, vampires..and very large black cats . Oh did I mention that Misty is a witch? Once on the island she notices a dark figure following her. Who is this mysterious man and why is he following her? She knows no one on this island. As she begins to investigate th ...more
Sarah Crawford
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Misty is a journalist working for a paranormal magazine and works for an ultra-nasty boss. She's sent to a posh island to find out why the weather is so hot in the winter and instead finds out about actual mermaids and shape-shifters.

Which results in some attempts on her life, the burning of the hotel room she is staying in, a strange book of blank pages that can display a message to her, a mysterious guy, vampires and maybe a mayor or a really rich guy that is the killer.

The thing that bother
Elaine
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Misty Friday paranormal reporter, her boss is sending her to Whitehaven Island to investigate on why it's summer in the winter time.. but while she's there she's seeing the mermaids.. mermaids that are women one minute then change to mermaids. at one point being trapped in a cave.. but then being saved by a stranger just in the nick of time.. strange things keep happening on this island. I have to say I love Misty Friday oh and the panties that's so well funny stuff right there wow I love this b ...more
Pamela
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first read a version of this book in an anthology several years ago. It was my introduction to Morgana Best. I loved The lengthen version. It really adds depth to Misty. Fun story with quirky characters. I’ve preordered the next book. Thanks, Morgana.

The anthology this story is from was my introduction to Morgana Best. I loved the rewrite. Misty is a fun heroine. There’s quirky characters, beautiful locations and a murder to solve. What’s not to love. I’ve preordered book 2. As in all Morgana
Jan
An assignment at a classy tourist resort to investigate the odd weather and paid for by the boss from Hades. What could possibly go wrong! Well, pretty much everything, like forgetting to pack underwear, then roasting the pair she was wearing, then having to buy the only offering at the resort which was size ginormous, then the growly dog ran off with them, and THEN getting caught by a very attractive man! And then came the dead body. And the mermaids.
So laugh your sox off while enjoying the m
Janet Wilson
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
And above average writing with enough twist interns to be thoroughly enjoyable

This series follows a journalist for a paranormal magazine and her ”Evil” boss as she goes out of town on Assignment. You’ll also meet her friend Cordelia and “Auntie June”. Auntie June is it fun character and Even though this is a mystery with a merger involved it has touches of humor and is most enjoyable happy reading
Sandy Jones
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun read. Misty is likeable and surrounded by interesting characters. It did seem really similar to the Misty Sales series. Or maybe I’m misremembering because the two characters share the same first name, but it seems like the other Misty also worked for a paranormal magazine and had an evil female supervisor who was also thin. Maybe it was another series, but I’m almost positive it was also written by Morgana Best.
Tiffany Coffman
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
What a fun and cute cozy! Misty Friday and her Aunty June (who is this woman?!!?) are hilarious. This is the first book in the His Ghoul Friday series and I can't wait to read the rest of them. Misty is a journalist for a paranormal magazine and is a practicing witch. She is sent on assignment to a luxurious island and hilarity ensues! The author does a great job with world building in such a quick story and I can't wait to read more!
Nadine
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and exciting!

Misty (a witch) works for the Ghoulzette, the paranormal magazine, as a paranormal journalist. When there’s a paranormal anomaly on Whitehaven Island, Misty is being sent there to investigate and report. But she doesn’t have a good feeling about this…

I immediately got that tingly feeling of excitement. That feeling of ‘yay this is going to be fun!’ The story deserves 5 stars. Such fun!
Bev
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Misty Friday and her boss don't like each other. So he sends her off to the Great Barrier Reef to investigate a murder. There things don't go as planned and the murderer has her in his sites. Can she come out unscathed and catch the killer?
This is a humorous story. I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of this book.
Maria
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful story!

Mysterious weather, mermaids, shifting animals, and murder what more could a natural witch journalist for a paranormal magazine want for a great story? How about discovery of vampires, psychic books and a strange hottie that happens to help save her life.

Can't wait for the next book! 🤩
sarah williams
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mermaids and Australia

Fun, delightful read. Misty Friday is a journalist at a paranormal magazine. Even though Misty is a practicing witch, she has a hard time with the idea of paranormal creatures. Interesting! Mermaids have been spotted on the island where Misty was assigned to report on weird weather conditions. Have fun with this series. Looking forward to more.
Teri-Anne Swerdon
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Misty Friday is a journalist with the paranormal magazine, Goulzette. She is sent to Whitehaven Island to find out why it is summer in the middle of winter.
While there, she ends up dealing with a murder, mermaids, shifters, warewolves and attempts on her life.
This was a real page turner. I loved it!!!!!!!
Mary A Moon
Outstanding New Mystery

A Tale of Mer-der, first book in a new series by Morgana Best, is "stay up all night to finish it" good! I absolutely LOVE Misty, and her coworkers are hysterically funny! I was WAY off with my guess of "who done it", and was blown away at the end! I cannot wait until the next installment! Fantastic book! Needs more than 5 stars!
Bobbi
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Misty is a total riot. She is one person who everyone would like to have as a friend. Crazy follows her around and makes her days into asylum worthy stories. This story has it all shifters, mermaids, and paranormal events. This was a fun reading experience, want to read more about Misty and her adventures. A book worthy to be added to your TBR pile.
Barb Foerst
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Misty Friday is a journalist working for a paranormal magazine, Ghoulzette. Her boss sends her off to investigate a warm weather anomaly in the Great Barrier Islands. Instead Misty finds a dead body and mermaids. Fortunately Misty finds help in her Auntie June and a mysterious John Smith.

This is a fun story with great characters. It shows a lot of potential for a new series.
Sheryl Carpenter
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Murder and mayhem and a mysterious stranger who shows up just when Misty needs help. I sure would like an aunty like her though. She lavishly does on Misty and is psychic too! How cool is that? Enjoy and wish we could take a holiday there too!
Teresa
Great start!

Misty Friday (yes her real name) is a journalist who works for a supernatural paper. Sent to a resort island for a story, Misty has no idea of the trouble she finds herself in. Fast paced action, with great characters, loved it!
Kris
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Misty works for a paranormal magazine and is sent to an island vacation resort to find out why it so warm there. That ends up being the beginning of things. Mermaids, murder and more... And who is John Smith? Read the book to find out what what happens.
Rebecca
A good, light hearted, fun, steadily paced story. Never gives us time to feel bored but not rushed either. Simple writing, easy to read, easy to understand. Made me laugh out loud with the very last paragraph. I'd consider this to be perfect palate cleanser for fantasy readers.
Alyson Beard
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rewrite of a short story

I've read both versions of this and personally found the short story flowed much better. Not sure that I want to read the next rewritten short story in the series.
C.A.
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy, clean read

Ideal for young adult mystery fan or adult who seeks easy reading at the beach. Four stars for that level. Not a literary masterpiece, this is just a nice book. I enjoyed it.
Evonne Hutton
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A real witchy trip as Misty Friday stumbles her way across a holiday island.
Mermaids, werewolves, vampires and other ghoulish things interrupts her stay in this laugh out loud story line!
USA Today best-selling author Morgana Best survived a childhood of deadly spiders and venomous snakes in the Australian outback. Morgana Best writes cozy mysteries and enjoys thinking of delightful new ways to murder her victims.

His Ghoul Friday (4 books)
  • The Witching Hour (His Ghoul Friday Book 2)
  • Arts and Witchcrafts (His Ghoul Friday Book 3)
  • Make Some Magic (His Ghoul Friday #4)