Jump to ratings and reviews

Software Quality Engineering: Tales From The Trenches

First of all, I have to say that I absolutely love being a Quality Engineer, something that I have been doing for a living for the last 11 years of my life! During these 11 years, I have had the pleasure (yes, pleasure!) of being tossed around, torn to pieces and thrown at a lot of scary and difficult situations in the world of software testing!

Armed only with a strong desire to learn and excel at my profession, I have seen, heard and gone through a multitude of experiences, challenges, and opportunities. Have I ever been scared shitless or doubted my decision to become a Quality Engineer? Heck yeah! Have I ever felt like the dumbest person in the companies I have worked on? The answer to that question is a resounding "yes!" Have I ever cried? You can bet your bottom dollar I have! But it has been an amazing journey so far, with rewards (and I'm not talking about monetary rewards only) too numerous to count, and plenty of learning opportunities. Let's just say that there has never been a dull moment in these last 11 years and there is nothing that I would trade for all of these experiences!

With this book, it is my goal to tell you about some of these situations and experiences and, by sharing with you how I have turned them into life and career lessons, hopefully, help you become a better, more effective and brave professional.

Kindle Edition

Published March 16, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Og Maciel

5 books30 followers
Og Maciel (https://omaciel.github.io) is a Brazilian-American software engineer and author of fiction and short stories. His works include "Software Quality Engineering: Tales From The Trenches", "I.C.Q - A Novel", and "The Big Score." He lives in Chapel Hill, NC, with his wife and three daughters.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
45 reviews
January 9, 2021
I worked with Og for 3 years at rPath. I was the sole (and therefore Lead) Windows Engineer on our product line. Og was in Quality Engineering and I was in Development Engineering. There was no divisive line drawn between us. Og is an amazing person to be anywhere near. His enthusiasm and positive energy are infectious to any team. He always wants to know how he can help advance the cause every day.

Even when we did have late nights at the office on some rush to get a release certified, Og remained positive and just a real pleasure to work with. His sense of humor often kept me going in stressful situations.

This positivity has led him to produce what I think is a fantastic text on what I imagine a mentor would sit down with you and say over the course of many weeks. This book is destined for world-class status in the field of Software Quality. It's an excellent guidebook and can advance your own career in QE.

Cheers!
Author 3 books2 followers
April 29, 2020
Software Quality Engineering: Tales from the Trenches approaches the complex nature of defining and solidifying the mindset required to be successful in the Quality Engineering world. The book starts off with a very strong introduction to the world of Software Engineering. What it is and conversely what it is not. This helps frame the rest of the book, which comprises of an anecdotally rich journey, bordering on biographical, which serves to reinforce the ideas and concepts put across at the very start.

For those new to this role, or interesting in learning more, the initial part may seem counter cultural, or it may be that the buzz has already gotten to you and you are intrigued to learn more about a better way of approaching Software Quality Engineering. Og's story is told in his own unique style often incredibly poignant whilst remaining approachable and relatable throughout.
1 review
February 19, 2021
Lovely read. There were times while reading the book where I had a sudden urge to share the book with my teammates.
Profile Image for Marcelo.
5 reviews4 followers
July 3, 2021
Strongly recommended to all those interested in Quality Engineering.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.