Start by marking “Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)” as Want to Read:
Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)

Viper

(Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)

Marianne has been training to be the Viper for her entire life - to serve and protect the King and the citizens of The Twelve Isles - but to become the Viper and protect the islands she loves she must find the strength to defeat her father. A new fantasy trilogy perfect for fans of Sarah J Maas.

He will make me a killer.
Or he will have me killed.
That is my destiny.

Paperback, UK Paperback ARC , 400 pages
Published April 18th 2019 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Viper, please sign up.
Sarah Corrigan There's no American deal as of yet but you should be able to get the UK edition through Book Depository when it releases on April 18th!

Start your review of Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
ThatBookGal
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the blurb for Viper, I got real Game of Thrones Iron Island vibes. After reading, you need to mix in a whole heap of Pirates of the Caribbean, a splash of Hunger Games and a big old dollop of originality, and you arrive at Viper.

I love Bex Hogan's debut novel and the adventure it took me on. The world she has created was interesting and well crafted, each island with its own personality, and landscape. The story itself took enough twists and turns to keep you guessing, and there was
Vivianne
Spoiler free!

I really enjoyed this book. Overall it is a very solid read. I liked the main character, she is strong, determined and makes right decisions. I liked the plot which was full of pirates, murder and action, and constantly moving. The setting and world were phenomenal and very interesting. The side characters were all well developed and entertaining. There was a great villain and I loved the Sea Serpents! The book is written good and the romance was also ok (though not my favorite
Alexandra
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairyloot
This book was AMAZING. It was so, so good and I really hope a sequel is in the works.

I could write a huge review, but I think I'll leave it with this: it surpassed my expectations and I really enjoyed reading it.
Naaytaashreads
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The man by my side is my opposite and my reflection. The dark to my light. The light to my dark. And everything in between.
But I'm not sure either of us could survive the heartbreak of being together yet being apart.
Love is not enough.

I love pirates and I don't understand how have I not have a list of pirates books to read.
This gave me pirates vibes, game of thrones and a bit of King Arthur but I guess female
Cora Tea Party Princess
Pirates are my catnip and this was one heck of an adventure.

Review to come.
Emma Canning (Emma's Chapter)
Respect has to be earned among Snakes, and I have done nothing to gain theirs yet

Marianne is next in line to become the Viper, defender of the Twelve Isles. But the deadly and most dangerous man, the current Viper, stands in her way...and he's her father. She was born to protect, but in order to save her home, the boy she loves and her family she may have to risk destroying it all, including herself.

I love me some pirates in YA! I tried really hard to not read anything about this book before
Manon the Malicious
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4.25 Stars*

I got an early copy of this book thanks to Fairyloot

Marianne has spent her entire life on a ship. See, her father is the Viper, which is the Captain of the Maiden, a ship meant to protect the Eastern islands except this role has turned and now he is just a vicious, terrible person who does nothing but harm and steal. Marianne can't take it anymore and decided it has to end but it's a lot more complicated than that, not only would she have to escape but she'd have to go against her
Zaide
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Darkness has me in its unrelenting grip. Revenge is my mistress and I will be obedient.

This quote sums up everything I thought this book would be. Marianne is the daughter of the Viper, a fearless and merciless captain known for his brutality and unforgiving nature. And if she is going to succeed him and claim her birthright as the next Viper, she must kill him. I expected her to be fierce and fearless, I thought this would be a thrilling and brutal battle between the two. It was not. In fact,
Moon
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I was going to love this book for the first few pages/chapters and then I was going headlong into it and couldn't stop. I need more.
Anniek
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an eARC of this book through the publisher.

I'm a sucker for pirate books, and this one started off so great: really atmospheric and with interesting world building. The plot was a little messy at times, and the story lacked some originality, but it was such an entertaining read, and it posed a lot of interesting questions to be explored further in the sequel.
Lexi // libraryoflexi
Thank you to the publisher and the ever amazing Tori for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!

High 3.5-4 stars.
It took a while to read this one. I picked it up probably a month or so ago, read a few pages and got distracted by adulting.

Literally me trying to pay attention to a book right now.

But I managed to pick it back up the other day and really get into it.. and quite enjoyed it.
Loved loved loved the blood thirsty pirates. YAAS STAB EVERYONE.

I blame Game of Thrones for
Kirsti
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another victim to my dreaded reading slump, I knew that once I could settle in and actually read this book that I would enjoy it. And I did! It was a fantastic pirate book, YA but still very gory and bloody from start to finish. It has a magical element as well, and I can't wait to see where more of that goes because it only really appears late in the book. the characters are absolutely fantastic, and are really brought to life with some fantastic writing and plot devices. There is romance, ...more
Stephanie
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

PROS:
--Viper has the perfect ingredients of magic, pirates, assassins, romance and action! It was a wild, thrilling ride that had me on the edge of my seat rooting for Marianne.
--Lots of tension, drama and suspense!
--The world building was great! I loved the idea of the Isles and the Maiden ship stalking the seas.
--The characters were believable (Crying gifs for all the great characters who died! :( Hogan kills her darlings, dont get attached to anyone!)
--Grace was a sweetheart, Torin was
Xristina Psylla
I didn't want to write a review, but then I thought, if it was my book and someone had rated with 2 stars I would like to know why. So here we are...

It was the first time that I didn't feel a thing. Actually scrats that, I felt gross in a medical scene.

What I meant was that it was the first time that not even one character made me like her/him. Every last one of them were indifferent. So as the plot.
It was a wonderful -and unique- idea which didn't go well. I mean pirates mate! What more do I
Shima
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book kind of feels like what would happen if you took a typical YA series and then condensed the whole story arc into one book, not by speeding up the pace, but by removing every character moment, emotional scene, world-building detail or original twists that would have made it even remotely interesting. What we end up with is a book in which a lot happens but nothing actually feels important.

Characters are introduced and killed within chapters, people are separated and reunited,
Kerry
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful unique tale of destiny, piracy, love, family, betrayal, danger, war, corruption and a fight to save the kingdom from destruction.
Marianne is due to inherit the role of Viper, protector of the King and the Twelve Isles. She must face a difficult, perilous and arduous journey first though. Having to learn who to trust and trying to keep herself and those she loves and cares for alive.
An Amazing journey and I cant wait to read the next instalment to find out what happens to Marianne
Tiffany Heywood
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Loved this book, I was so intrigued that I struggled to put it down each night. There was fighting, romance, plot twist and discovery. I loved the setting, how its mainly set on a ship. It reminded me a lot of pirates and the carribean which I loved. The land setting was different islands in the ocean, each island had a different personality which I found really interesting. I liked how we explored each island even if it was really unpleasant sometimes.
The characters were all well thought and
Natalie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES. What a book!

Action-packed, thrilling, violent and oh, so satisfying. I've only ever read one pirate novel (Treasure Island) and it certainly wont be my last. SO GOOD. Characters were interesting, the story was constantly gripping and I was thoroughly impressed with Hogan's writing and storytelling.

Fantastic. Excellent work, Bex!
10/10 would recommend. I would love Venom, please!

sidenote: this might not be suitable for younger readers. When I say it's violent, it's violent. Like, children
Jenna
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im really not sure what weve done to be blessed with so many pirate-y books in the past few years but I am LIVING for it!!

Viper definitely falls under the category of swashbuckling adventure and is full of characters you want to meet (and some you dont), as well as places I know I at least want to visit!

There were a lot of threads left dangling at the end of this novel, but Im super excited to find out where they lead!!

I did struggle with the timeline of this book though. Even after finishing
Everlinet
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
It was really a wonderful story, something between pirates of the Caribbean and game of thrones, but in young adult version. It was a quick few hours long read. Loved the main character, the action, the adventure.
I liked the fact that the pirates were actually evil which is what I expected & loved. It was simple yet set in interesting new world, surprisingly good book.
Simone
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every second of this. Such an epic adventure, with brilliant compelling characters and a swoonworthy star-crossed romance. Everything I look for in a book, basically. Love love love. Cant wait for the rest of the trilogy!
Dreximgirl
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was packed with so many things I love; adventure, pirates, secrets, badassery, strong well developed characters, plot twists and a sense of development. Overall I was very impressed. A strong 4.5 stars.
rachel ☾
Trigger warnings for (view spoiler) ...more
Amy
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of a subscription box and honestly had never heard of it before so wasnt overly intrigued to pick it up, but I am going to an event in October where Bex Hogan will be so I figured I should probably get around to reading it.

I have to say; the first 15% of this book I really enjoyed it; I thought the world-building was well done and I had a clear sense of the world. She really gave a good idea of the pirate world and the Vipers. Its not the uniquest plot in the world,
Sabrina
If the Maiden is my prison, then it is the ocean who is my gaoler.
A gritty new fantasy set on land and sea, this was an exciting read with a vibrant female protagonist and several surprising twists. (The cover is gorgeous as well! It was made using images from Shutterstock, and I'm actually. So. Impressed.) Marianne was a vividly written protaganist and I quickly got a feel for her personality, motivations and dilemmas. It only took a couple of pages for me to become solidly invested in
Paperbacks
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, YA Fantasy covers are knocking it out of the park so far this year, Viper has colour and foiling and it's just wonderful. Whilst I read this as an Arc via Netgalley, I then received a copy in my Fairyloot box which was amazing as I absolutely loved this book and to have that cover in my grabby hands is awesome. Viper is the kind of book that grabs you with both hands from the opening lines and pulls you under the waves so you are totally immersed in the story. I knew immediately that ...more
Katherine
This was ... fine

(view spoiler)
Kayleigh
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to finish this over the last couple of days but couldn't find the time.

Now I have finished it and I loved it. Bex Hogan has written a book full of action and adventure with characters you love and hate, giant sea monsters and everything in between, all set on the high seas.

I'm already looking forward to the next book! I can't wait to see what happens with Marriane and Torin and whether they can bring peace to the islands.
I also need to know if Marriane reclaims her heritage!
Christine Spoors
This was such a fun fantasy, following the daughter of a violent pirate in a world consisting of 12 islands. I wasnt a huge fan of the main character for much of the book, but she did have moments and I enjoyed reading from her POV. The plot was easy to follow and read, I just didnt find it very gripping which is what led to my 3 star rating. The ending was exciting, so Ill just wait and see if I fancy picking up the second book when it is released!

Thank you to Orion & Team Bkmrk for the
Lulai
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit classical for a YA/fantasy book but it was well done. I enjoy Marianne even if she is a strong, badass woman she doesn't lose her humanity. I like the world building and the little magic touch.

• To Best the Boys
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • We Are Blood and Thunder (We Are Blood and Thunder, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • The Sharp Edge of a Snowflake
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Fire & Heist
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Sanctuary
  • All That Impossible Space
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns

Isles of Storm and Sorrow (2 books)
  • Venom (Isles of Storm and Sorrow, #2)