Start by marking “Stranger Rituals (Stranger Rituals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stranger Rituals

Kali Rose Schmidt

Stranger Rituals

(Stranger Rituals #1)

A fighter with a venomous grudge.
A monster with an immortal curse.
A girl with a terrible gift.

All three out for blood in a land torn apart by harsh gods and holy wars. Each entwined with the other, on their own quests for vengeance, and yet held together by strange links to sinister pasts. As their fates unravel, a dangerous romance blooms, and violent darkness beckons.

At
Hardcover
Published July 9th 2019 by Kali Rose Schmidt

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Rituals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger Rituals

Start your review of Stranger Rituals (Stranger Rituals, #1)
Dark River
Review later, I gotta finish another book before the year is over lol

Edit: You know what? No. I'll wait with my review until I've read Shadow Palace. I feel like I need the whole picture to make up my mind and I'm excited to read book 2 as soon as it's out.
I'm retracting my rating as well until then.
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!
Stranger Rituals is such a dark, bloody, and beautifully written book. The pacing was good, the characters were interesting, well developed, and likable. I also loved the storyline and the world building. It kind of had a Shadow and Bone feel to it.

Scarko is a beautifully written strong willed character. I absolutely loved her. She has blood magic and the way the author described how she must survive was so gritty, but also really unique, I mean this whole take on magic i
Ninosy  (Wonder Woman)
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, fans of Sarah J Mass, fantasy, dark
This book was AAAAAAH-Mazing...

Found it by coincedence and I am gratful...
It was kinda short I wanted more pages..
The story started out smoothly but by the last it got all mixed up and nothing was resolved... The male  characters were written so well I fell in love with them all..
And I also loved Scarko she was badass not whiny and annoying ...

Note to the author:
I need more of Rhodri and Zephir  pleaseeeeeee....
Shannon
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follow the blog tour! I will post my review and the giveaway tomorrow on my blog

RTC
Loretta (Laughing Listener)

The Laughing Listener

*I was graciously given a free copy in exchange for an honest review*
July 2019
Format: eBook
Overall Rating: 4.5 Stars

Every time I sign up to do a blog tour, I’m very careful to make sure it’s a book that I think I’ll like. I mean, I don’t want to be pimping out books to everyone that I wouldn’t buy myself. Despite that though, sometimes a book comes along and punches me in the face anyway. But in a good way. A love punch?? Whatever, you get it. And this one totally hit me HAR
Aly
I won this in a giveaway the author ran! So thank you so much for this!

Anyways, I just want to say that I devoured this book. This was such a dark, bloody, and beautifully written book. I stayed up well into the middle of the night as I couldn't put it down!

Scarko is a morally grey character with a broken and painful past. I felt for her so much throughout the book, but she was also strong willed and tried to think of the future. She made many mistakes and took different paths over what she is
Phoebe E. Wijayah
I knew this book was going to be dark, but I didn't expect it to be that dark.

I won an ARC in a giveaway and for that, I am absolutely grateful! Though I read this book like a month ago, I think, and it took me this long to write a review because I didn't know how to form my messy thoughts into something coherent.

I recommend this book to any dark fantasy lover. Kali Rose Schmidt promised it would be dark and she delivered. Truth be told, I had a little trouble adjusting into this world, but onc
Adele Coleman
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I found it to be well paced, characters had enough to them to keep me interested and the story line was good.

Siyka
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It grabbed me from the very beginning. It was just a bit too much for me at times but the story was good and well-built.
I liked the world and the way it was presented.
I recommend it to any dark fantasy fan.

Nihal
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what was that ending...

the descriptions of blood were funny imagine your blood smelling like citrus and almonds lmao

wicked saints wishes it could be on it's level
✨The Quick & Dirty Bibliophile✨

Overall: 4.5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
Steam: 💋 Kissing only
Feels: 😈🤭🤔😩😬😤

~REVIEW🖋~
The Quick and Dirty: Elemental magic. Blood magic. Religions - ancient and new. Secrets. Scandal. Betrayal. And the girl who is the key to unlocking it all.

Scarko is the king's personal guard but she is also has a special type of Vrakan magic: blood magic. Her king receives a vision from his gods and sends her on a mission to kill a rival who is not only immune to Vrakan magic but has been killing Vrakans. She assumes it will be an e
Margaux
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A month before this book was released, I won an ARC on the author's instagram. I promised an honest review after reading the book, but forgot to post it because of my exams. So here is my review, like I promised.

First of all, I can tell you that I liked this book. It reminded me a little bit of A Court of Thorns and Roses (although this book was much darker and no graphic cabin scenes hehe). A fair warning for some readers: this book mentions rape (it's never explained, but it is insinuated) an
Leona Wyatt (Lennie Reads)
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-book
I won this ARC from Kali a couple of week ago & I'm SO glad!

I remember a few months ago when she was doing promo for it and I was instantly intrigued. And as she warned me MULTIPLE times, the book is dark af and all the characters are terrible in different ways.

I am also still pretty shook about one character. I'm almost as heartbroken as when I finished Red Queen (but at least with this one I knew the characters were already bad...)

There are lots of similarities to the Grishverse in this book.
Jessica Belmont
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know when you pick up a book, planning to just read a couple chapters before bed, and the next thing you know it’s 2a.m. and you’re reading the last page? This happened to me while reading Stranger Rituals. It’s a fascinating novel that honestly is so different from anything I’ve read in quite a while.

This book is dark. The characters are dark. Everything about this is intense and morbid, yet I couldn’t look away. I am blown away by the world building and the characters in this one. Kali Ros
Michelle
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don’t plan on starting this book and reading “a few chapters” before bed or on a lunch break. This is one you’ll want to set aside a good part of a day for you to read all at once, or as much as possible, as it just won’t let you go. It had me hooked from the first pages, and the action and suspense just never stop. Even when the story “slowed down”, it still kept its grip on me, and I would stop whatever I was doing to go back and read “one more chapter”. There are lots of twists and turns that ...more
Kat
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a dark book! And I mean DARK!

From the violence to the romance, every corner of this book felt like a gothic, shadow-like, bloody hole. And not in a bad way at all. I absolutely loved this vibe the book let out.

Right off the bat, we are introduced to some tough characters. From the bone crunching to the giant horns, you find yourself in a fantasy world you immediately want to know the history of.

It is rather fast-paced as I flew through this one in only one sitting. The world buildi
Philleys Peters
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a dark fantasy set in a strange world plagued by dissenting gods and holy wars and an ongoing battle between the elemental magic users and the non magical humans of the current ruling party. Our heroine is a very rare blood magic user sent out by her demon lord master to infiltrate their enemy's village and assassinate the human street fighter killing off their people. The story follows Szarko on her quest as she encounters an interfering demon on a hidden agenda of his own. A very intri ...more
Billie
A fighter with a venomous grudge.
A monster with an immortal curse.
A girl with a terrible gift.

This was a very intriguing read from this author.
I loved the world building going on.
The characters are amazingly written.
I love
Monica
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for something to read that has a darker tone, then look no further. The world building in this story is pretty incredible, the Vraka remind me of a darker version of the Grisha from Leigh Barduga’s books. It’s a great world to get lost in.

I really love how vicious Scarko is, she drinks blood and she doesn’t apologize for it. Also, somehow Kali made men with horns really sexy. I don’t know how she does it, but my love/hate relationship with many of the male characters in the b
Lynn
Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lmao. I don’t know why I thought I’d like this, when it was so clearly a ripoff of character dynamics from Sarah J. Maas’ A Court of Thorns and Roses...a book I also detested. This was garbage. I’m annoyed I wasted any time even skim reading it.

Vojtech (who was by far the most interesting character) was a clear ripoff of Tamlin. Scarko (wtf is that name?) was clearly Feyre. Rhodri was clearly Rhysand. And idk...Zephir is just an awful character. ACOTAR is likewise not great. Ugh. I want my time
Anne Dwyer
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scarko needs blood to survive - Vojtech needs bone - She escaped the Wardkian dungeons, and had worked her way up to be Vojtech's personal guard, but Scarko still feels insecure. A when he has a vision that is going to send her on a mission, she has no option but to follow the instructions which she is given. Their fates are intertwined with another - what will become of them all? A dark and different tale!

Michelle
This is a dark, twisted, intense story about a fighter with a venomous grudge, a monster with an immortal curse and a girl with a terrible gift. The characters are interesting and well developed. I absolutely loved this fantastic world this author created and even though I loved this book it's a world I don't want to visit in real life. I can't wait to read more books in the Stranger Rituals series. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Scarolet Ellis
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stranger Rituals by Kali Rose Schmidt is a great story that I have read. I really enjoyed reading this story very much. If you like reading horror and fantasy then this story is definately for you and I recommend this story to you .

Jolene (ink_for_days)
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh. My. Gosh. This was AMAZING. Schmidt built an intriguing and interesting world. The magic, though common to be found, was different and had a life of its own. The characters were dynamic and every page was a twist or turn down this dark path. I could NOT put this book down.
Kirstian
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult, fantasy
This book was provided for free in exchange for an honest review.

First off let me start by stating how much I love the cover for this book. It is just gorgeous in my opinion!

Okay, on to what you are really here for.

These days I have been struggling to find a dark read that doesn’t lean more towards the horror genre. Enter Stranger Rituals. I am not gonna lie, I was skeptical when it saw it was supposed to be a dark series. Typically when I end up reading books like this I do not personally find
Oscarb1007
Dark with lots of angst. Child sexual trauma, horned fey and slavery. The plot was interesting, but so many unanswered questions. The continuous killing without remorse made everyone feel like a psychopath. Little too dark for me, but I liked how strong the main character was written.
Lena
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
DNF couldn't understand the plot, where was it going
Amber
Sep 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise, weak story construction.
🌬Naomi
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A.damn.good.book
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When a person wanted something too much, they created of themselves a hostage” - Kali Rose Schmidt... Okay, okay, okay.... well that just made me so excited! When I first started reading this I was a little bit overwhelmed by the world building. Schmidt went above and beyond with her world building, creating a magic system and a religious system to compliment. It was a lot but as I was drawn deeper into the story it all made sense and I lost myself in it! The setting gave me Ketterdam type feel ...more

• Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized #2)
  • Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji, #1)
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • The Rook (The Twisted Kingdoms #2)
  • Blessed be the Wicked (Dark Maji, #2)
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Curse Breaker (Kingdom of Runes, #2)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Marvels and Misfits (Trixie Towers, #1)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
  • Scales and Skeletons (Trixie Towers, #2)
  • Twisted is the Crown (Dark Maji, #3)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • King Maker (Kingdom of Runes, #3)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Fortuna Sworn (Fortuna Sworn, #1)
Author. Mother. Villain Lover.

Stranger Rituals (2 books)
  • Shadow Palace (Stranger Rituals, #2)

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...