Start by marking “Grumpy Old Gods: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Old Gods: Volume 1

Grumpy Old Gods: Volume 1

What happens when gods wane, retire, or just decide they need a change of employment?

13 writers took up the challenge and let their imaginations run wild in this anthology that is nearly-always amusing, somewhat insightful, and completely irreverent as we imagine the gods of yore in retirement:

Pan by Vanessa Wells: Gwen Henson is a witch trainee with a nose for trouble
Published March 30th 2019 by Stormdance Publications

To ask other readers questions about Grumpy Old Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grumpy Old Gods

Start your review of Grumpy Old Gods: Volume 1
Juneta Key
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am an author in the book. My story is Playing Hookie. I loved all the other stories because they were light, intelligent, and fun. I found the majority humorous but all worth the read which is why they made it into the anthology.
Jacqui
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grumpy Old Gods (Stormdance Publichations 2019) is an excellent collection of stories written by Indie authors themed to the idea that the gods can be grumpy. All thirteen stories are cleverly original, lightly humorous, and cover the gamut of ways the gods can be grouches as they interact with humans. Some I chuckled over while others, I bit my nails. A few were so gobsmackingly hilarious, I only stopped reading to giggle. Topics deal with human interactions, how the gods play on Earth, the aft ...more
J. Dorner
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to those who enjoy pondering where the Old Gods are now, what they might be doing since the religions that worshipped them have so greatly declined in followers. A large chunk of this book uses myths from the ancient Greeks, Romans, and Norse mythologies.

I really wish there was an included link list to more information about the referenced deities and myths. I knew most, but still, I think it would be useful. Most of the stories have Gods who were formerly worshipped in pa
Rhonda Hicks
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
1. Pan by Vanessa Wells
Gwen Henson is a witch trainee with a nose for trouble; when she gets into something deeper than she and her mentor can deal with, they are forced to contact a cantankerous former god for assistance, only to find that his help comes at a price...but doesn't everything?
2. A Low Key Game Night by Elizabeth Shaffer
Family Game night is always a risky situation when a former god of mischief is involved; add in a son bringing a new mortal girlfriend to meet
Donna
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This boxset of short stories all feature one or more god or goddess from mythology as a character, with a mix of Greek, Norse and others. I love the variety of ways that the authors have brought those gods into more modern contexts, and would definitely recommend this boxset to anyone who enjoys reading myths but is open to seeing those characters in a new, often funny setting. I hope to read a new boxset soon!
NB I received a complimentary copy of this book, but I always give an HONEST rev
Deborah Boyes
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found Grumpy Old Gods Volume 1 to be a mixture of humor, the right amount of grumpiness for the Gods, the way us humans get grumpy in our older age. It was fun reading, and I did not stop until I had read it to the end. It is a nice mixture of authors and so well put together that it just flows into one another. Very well written and put together, and I am looking forward to more reading from Grumpy Old Gods, we need some humor and twists and surprises in our lives. I would most definitely rec ...more
Blakely
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite fun - dare I even say charming?

13 authors tackle the premise of what Ancient gods are doing today, languishing away largely forgotten by society. The 13 authors write about gods from various societies - Greek, Norse, Native American - and come up with different premises of what the gods are up to. Several stories deal with gods residing in retirement homes, others have gods serving as detectives, writing erotica, playing jokes on each other, even holding family game night. A
Rachel
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
An overall good read, even if the second half was inexplicably bogged down with typos and punctuation errors when the first half was fine. It's an ARC, there's leeway for correction there. Three and a half stars.

One story, Zeus Really Needs To Go, was a DNF (Did Not Finish) because I couldn't go a page without stumbling over another mistake (random commas mid-sentence, missing speech marks, skipped words, discrete/discreet confusion, etc) and I didn't care enough about the story to p
Heila
Some of the stories are filled with the humour promised in the title of the book, while some… not so much. Some of the stories are a bit longwinded, while others are snappy and a breeze to read. Personally, I don’t think that you need curse words to make your story work. The blasphemy made me skip paragraphs. And the stories consisting of dialogue alone… Grr! Reminds of school.

I enjoyed reading about the different gods. And the stories I enjoyed: I’m checking out the work of those au
Pat Eroh
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very funny and entertaining group of stories that certainly tickled me! I have read book 2 and found that very entertaining as well and I am hoping that the challenge will be thrown up again for more Grumpy old gods.

Ashley Hunt
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wildlings welcome. I love new twists on old tales, and Grumpy old Gods does not disappoint. New friends and old come together in clever fun ways with this collection of stories. I laughed, I cried, I danced with Glee to see these dusty old beings brought forth with such a clever and unique light. Recommend this book completely and looking forward to the rest of the series.
Penny Hickman
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Several short stories to keep you entertained. Most were good but very, very short. Even though they were short I didn't feel like a whole story was crammed into such few pages. My favorite was "A Low-Key Game Night" by Elizabeth Shaffer. Some were good, some were ok, but well worth reading.

Barbara
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book in the Grumpy Old Gods series a great set of very short stories. I enjoyed reading this set. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Carlton Mckenney
Apr 27, 2019
Andrew Dunlop
Apr 02, 2019
Jeana Fors
May 18, 2019
Tom Vetter
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
K.A. Masters
Nov 08, 2019
C.D.
Apr 22, 2019
Teresa Kander
Mar 31, 2019
Shawn M Klimek
Mar 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Vanessa Wells
Mar 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
C.V. Grehan
Apr 03, 2019
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Ronel Janse van Vuuren
Apr 09, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Amanda
ESTACIA KIRKLAND
Nov 07, 2019

• Magic at Midnight
  • Grumpy Old Gods: Volume 1
  • Typhoon Toby (Forces of Nature #2)
  • The Latin Sexual Vocabulary
  • First-Realm Problems: A Paranormal Cozy Mystery (Eastwind Witches Cozy Mysteries Book 12)
  • Trojan Women: A Novel of the Fall of Troy
  • Witch on Ice (A Bigfoot Bay Witches Paranormal Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Pumpkin Patch Murder (Wicked Good Mystery #7)
  • 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed
  • The Case of the Spirit Spell (Hillcrest Witch Cozy Mystery, Book #10)
  • Un-Familiar Magic (Accidental Familiar Book 3)
  • Love, Declassified
  • Feline The Heat (The Firehouse Feline, #1)
  • Sexing the World: Grammatical Gender and Biological Sex in Ancient Rome
  • Dark Desires (Dark Court Sisters, #1)
  • Gram Croakies (Enchanting Inquiries #3)
  • Magic and Mystery: Paranormal Cozy Mystery Bundle Books 1-3 (Magic & Mystery Series Bundles Book 1)
  • Pawsitively Cursed (Witch of Edgehill, #2)