Start by marking “Stir-Fry” as Want to Read:
Stir-Fry

Stir-Fry

"Exhilarating...irreverent, and extremely funny,"- Ms.

Seventeen and sure of nothing, Maria has left her parents' small-town grocery for university life in Dublin. An ad in the Student Union - "2 ♀ seek flatmate. No bigots." - leads Maria to a home with warm Ruth and wickedly funny Jael, students who are older and more fascinating than she'd expected.

A poignant, funny, and
Published December 29th 2006 by Alyson Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Stir-Fry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stir-Fry

Tatiana
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tatiana by: susan
Shelves: top-shelf, lez
i am such a sucker for a good lesbian story, and i think this is one of the best. i remember finishing it over some depressing stint at home and walking around for the rest of the day with a doofy grin on my face. it did however, make me really nervous 3/4ths of the way through because i realized that the way she had set things up, the ending was going to be really important to the story. it wasn't just going to end the story, it was going to completely make or break the story. and fortunately, ...more
Karen
Aug 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this one!! Someone once called it a "comfort book", which I thought was a good description. Real, likeable characters. I sympathize with Maria's awkwardness but am impressed by how self-assured she is. The ending is a nice surprise, but feels right. Sometimes I re-read just the last two pages 'cuz they make me smile :)
Chez Hilroy
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Two stars might be a little harsh; maybe three would be more fair. But the fact is, I didn't like reading Stir-fry. It's not for the characters or the plot or the theme, which I'll get into in a moment, but just the writing style. Stir-fry exists in the same world as beginner's fanfic where the characters sullenly fling peas across the table, dodge kicks between dialogue, and sail into anime pratfalls in response to every lame verbal "barb".

In short, the style blows. And more than anything, that
DebsD
3.5* A gently-written coming-of-age story, with a bit more depth than appears at first glance, and a bit of a reminder just how short a time ago that Dublin (along with so many other places) was such a hostile place for anyone of "unconventional" sexual preferences. It doesn't demonstrate the skill that Donoghue acquired by her later books, but I still enjoyed it.
Rachael Eyre
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Elaine Burnes
I've been wanting to read this since I first discovered Emma Donoghue. My response to it is as a writer. There's nothing like reading an author's entire body of work (almost, in this case).

It's not bad for a first novel, but it's far from the quality we've come to expect from Donoghue, which makes it so useful. It’s kind of a mess, feels disjointed, and is full of short, choppy scenes. Gestures don’t mean anything, they are just pauses. Why does Maria yawn so much (other yawn unexpectedly too)?
Joanne
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this coming to yourself story. I wish I had found Emma Donoghue's books when I was struggling with the same things back at college in Dublin. But over 10 years later I enjoyed being transported back to the that time through the character of this book.

While this isn't the best book you'll read by the author, it is her first and you can catch glimpses of the better writer she has become in some of the pages here.

It's a simple story of youth finding itself and a quick and enjoyable read.

Af
Joanna
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
Pixie
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqiap
i liked the writing, but didn't like how for a long while it sounds like the pov person is a straight gawping at her lesbian flatmates. it's not that in the end, but it still got on my nerves a bit. also would have given a higher rating if it wasn't for some biphobia and "asexual, like a plant" (an actual quote).
Ali
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I normally avoid anything that could be described as a 'coming of age' story, but this was charming, if not always comfortable to read. The main characters were not always likeable, but were interesting and flawed. I loved the focus on female friendships, relationships, and sexuality.
Alsha
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
It's that time of year for a reread while tucked into the couch with a pot of tea. Bliss.

***

Such a perfect book to read on a cosy autumn day! Love this book to bits, going on literally.
Nisa
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yvensong
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvensong by: BookCrosser
Shelves: bookcrossing
Donoghue's first novel is a sensitive coming-of-age story of a young girl who has moved to the big city to start college.

The characters are believable, even when they are not particularly likable. Maria, the MC, is attempting to learn who she really is, and how she fits into college life and the world, after having spent her entire life in a small village. She explores the confusing world of relationships through her new flatmates and new college friends, including a couple of young men that sh
Mary
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Stir-Fry was a delightful romp, and I believe my first foray into queer chick lit (except for maybe Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, which is significantly less fluffy).

Though I greatly enjoyed my reading experience, I wasn't left feeling fulfilled. The whole thing felt very much like a first novel: the characters and conversations were fun, if not super memorable or interesting, scene changes were semi-awkwardly managed, the plot was rather predictable, and there was some stereotyping of the que
Bandit
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good not great, this is a debut novel from Emma Donoghue, the author who has gotten much better with time as judging by the more recent excellent Room. Stir Fry takes place in Dublin in mid 90s and is mostly interesting from the anthropological perspective and views on homosexuality at that time and place. This doesn't mean the book isn't well written...it is, and the three female leads are quite complex and authentic, but the story just didn't capture my attention as much as I would have liked.
Cara
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
I just read this book over the last few days and I need to read it again I think. I am not sure how I feel about all three characters. I did not have an affinity for any of them. I liked the style, the rhythm of the writing. I just felt the characters were stereotypes I did not truly form an attachment for. I may have also spent too much time thinking about where this story was heading and hoping it wouldn't be cliche. I wanted to love it as it was sent to me from someone I care about, so for th ...more
Alisonismail
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
A good read but felt very dated - her most recent books are very much more developed I thought. I enjoyed that one of the main characters was one I had got to know in a much older incarnation in Landing.
Amy
Feb 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Didn't make it halfway through this book. The writing was all over the place. The transitions to another "scene" were unexpected and often confusing...I would have to reread to figure out what happened. I just couldn't push through as the parts that did make sense were boring.
Katie
May 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I loved Room and Slammerkin so I gave another of Donoghue's novels a try. The characters in Stir-Fry were boring and the plot was slow so I abandoned it about halfway through. It simply did not hold my attention!
Irene
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
After having read Room, this one is quite disappointing
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Could not get into reading this book at all, it was a chore to finish it!
Hannah
Oct 01, 2008 added it
When I was a baby lesbian, I really really wanted to make a movie of this book.
Noah
3.5
This is mostly good and fun, but has some rough biphobia issues.
Jan
Jul 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
She's come a long way.
Donna
Jul 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Disappointing after reading her new novel, THE ROOM. This one was her first novel.
Ellie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well-written and atmospheric - I was surprised at just how engrossed I got!
The plot isn't particularly eventful, but the characters are so good that I couldn't help getting invested.
Stir-fry is reminiscent of Maeve Binchy's Circle of Friends - not surprising given the similar setting. Of the two, I much preferred Stir-fry - the characters are more likeable, and it's generally a more fun read.
Personally, I'd have liked the ending fleshed out more, but I guess I can see why she wrote it like tha
Leen
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman, bib, read-in-2017
Maria gaat als zeventienjarige studente 'op kot' in Dublin bij twee vrouwen die een relatie blijken te hebben. Als lezer volg je haar in haar ontwikkeling, eenzaamheid en bezigheden, waarin ze haar best doet volwassen te worden. Een heel mooi boek op zich, maar het einde deed dat alles teniet: dat was niet overtuigend en zelfs redelijk onduidelijk.

Geen boek dat gaat blijven hangen, vrees ik.
Marthese Formosa
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“In what day in what month of this queue of years would she find that she had become a rootless stranger, a speck in the urban sprawl?”

– Stir-fry page 13

If there was one book that I read and I thought ‘this book is me’, this book is it. It is a book that stayed with me and even if I someday forget what the story was about, I will never forget how much I enjoyed reading it and relating to the story.

Stir-fry was Donoghue’s debut novel and is set in Dublin, Ireland. It is about Maria, a universit
Korey
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh.

There isn't a lot of there there to this story. There's little plot which isn't a big problem in and of itself because not all books need to be plot driven but the characters are also two dimensional at best. So this is a book without a plot and without complex characters. Donoghue doesn't do a good job dramatizing Maria's changes as she goes from sheltered Irish country girl to urban college student. As a reader I didn't feel that sense of growth and discovery and evolution that I was supp
Mirrordance
Ilprimo libro di questa autrice Irlandese che, in altre sue opere, mi ha affascinato. Questo romanzo è abbastanza banale e poco avvincente. La trama abbastanza esile, Maria arriva nella capitale per proseguire gli studi. E' una ragazza semplice, ingenua, un po' campagnola e timorata di Dio vissuta in un piccolo paese irlandese. Trova una stanza in condivisione in un appartamento dove già vivono due ragazze più grandi che solo dopo parecchio tempo, si renderà conto che hanno una relazione. I gior ...more

• Girls, Visions and Everything
  • This Is Not For You
  • Boys Like Her: Transfictions
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
  • When We Were Outlaws: A Memoir of Love and Revolution
  • The End
  • The Necessary Hunger
  • Dare Truth or Promise
Emma is the youngest of eight children of Frances and Denis Donoghue. She attended Catholic convent schools in Dublin, apart from one year in New York at the age of ten. In 1990 she earned a first-class honours BA in English and French from University College Dublin, and in 1997 a PhD (on the concept of friendship between men and women in eighteenth-century English fiction) from the University of ...more
“Who knows what we all are before anything happens?” 7 likes