Start by marking “Rowdy Randy” as Want to Read:
Rowdy Randy

Rowdy Randy

"Yeehaw!" Rowdy Randy shouted to the wind. "I was born to buck!" Rowdy Randy is the toughest cowgirl around. Never mind that this broncobuster is a horsefly. She acts taller than any tall tale. She might be easy to overlook, but Rowdy Randy definitely can t be ignored. She spends her days buzzing and biting all the creatures in her path, all the while stirring up a whole h ...more
Published March 16th 2019 by Casey Rislov Books

To ask other readers questions about Rowdy Randy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowdy Randy

Start your review of Rowdy Randy
La Coccinelle
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
I wanted to like this one more than I did. It sounds like a fun premise. The problem is... there's no story.

Rowdy Randy is a horsefly. She wears chaps and cowboy boots and glittery green eyeshadow (the picture that was chosen for the cover isn't the best; it's relatively unappealing, compared to the rest of Zachary Pullen's fun illustrations within). Each day, Rowdy Randy looks for critters to annoy. I think. I had to go back and reread the beginning to try to figure out what the setup was. As f
Leah Horton
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the illustrations. They were really quite beautiful. The story just wasn’t for me.
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I must have read a different book from all the other reveiwers that thought this was the greatest picture book they had ever read, ye haw.

The illustrations of the various animals you might encounter int he west are quite lovely.

But alas, that is not what the story is about. The story is about a cowgirl horsefly who wears green eyeshadow. Sparkly green, in fact. Because, of course that is what horseflies would wear.

The story, what there is to it, is that Randy gets up every morning, and bothers
MoonGarden
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice pictures, strange story

The pictures were amazing. But the little kids and me agree the story wasn't very good it was a little bit strange. Were still trying to figure out what Randy is, we think she's a fly.

Reader Views
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Lydia (age 5) for Reader Views Kids (1/2020)

“Rowdy Randy” by Casey Day Rislov is the story about a horsefly named “Rowdy Randy” who likes to annoy other animals in the wild west. The story starts with Randy flying around, looking for an animal to bother. She finds a dog, but the dog almost bites her! Then she flies away and gets splashed by a fish! Randy doesn’t let that bother her though. Next, she tries to find some animals to work with her to bother others. She finds some birds, b
Psusan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rowdy Randy by Casey Rislov is an amusing look at life through the eyes of a cowgirl horsefly. One events after another has Randy looking for a desperado to challenge or annoy. Frankly the in your face attitude of Randy is exactly how I would expect a horsefly to behave. Nevertheless the cliffhanger ending lets the reader decide if Randy annoying days are coming to an end.

The style of writing is not a rhyming format but once I figured that out the story flowed pretty well reading it aloud to m
Diane
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rowdy Randy, the feisty heroine in Casey Rislov's picture book, is a cowgirl fly who has earned her name by being bravely annoying to others. The goal is to prove that she is the toughest cowgirl in flight, fancying herself as "the greatest outlaw."

Her brazen cowgirl attitude defies cattle, fish, and any tough days, but what she really needs is to lead a team of outlaws, despite her pride in being a loner and her inability to rustle up some comrades.

Kids with good reading skills or parental as
Monica Kelly
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rowdy Randy is a horsefly that was born for ADVENTURE, She weaves her way through the Wild West exploring and stirring up all kinds of trouble. During her wild west adventure, she whooshes and buzzes around meeting all kinds of creatures, Buffalo, Cows, Snakes just to name a few. This adventure is full of twists and turns, Rowdy catches herself caught in a full-blown stampede.

Its time to dust off your cowboy hat and boots and pick up a copy of this amazingly illustrated children’s picture book,
Susan
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Randy is a horsefly. She wants to be a cowgirl. As she goes from place to place she causes trouble on her adventure. However she isn’t satisfied until she causes a cattle stampede! Will she survive the stampede? Is she finally the cowgirl she wants to be?

The story is exquisitely told. It has great colored illustrations throughout the book. It’s a fun and positive book to read. I liked that Randy never gave up her being a cowgirl.

Disclaimer: I received an arc of this book from the author/publishe
Sherry Scheline
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is GREAT. I got this book off of Kickstarter for our library and I love it. The artwork in it is phenomenal. If you have a love for the Wild Wild West this is your book. It’s incredibly well written and takes you on a wonderful journey through cattle country. Saddle Up for adventure. I hope this is the beginning of a series. I want more Rowdy Randy. I can’t wait until this summer on days we have to move cattle; I’m also taking it to branding in April and am reading it to the kids. :)
Diane
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute story with a horsefly as the main character. The illustrations are beautiful and support the story. They would be wonderful introduction to discussions about livestock, wild animals and nature. The story ended on what some might consider a cliffhanger.

Marichus Real
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Randy is a horsefly. She spends all day looking for targets. Adventure follows her wherever she goes. A good book to read to children and look at the pictures that are quite good showing the annoyance on the faces of Randy’s targets and the cheeky little rowdy happiness. The only but is the end of the book.
Janet Graham
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Wonderful Illustrations
Rowdy Randy is a horsefly out in the country who gets into a ton of mischief. The story started out ok, became pointless and ended in a cliffhanger. However, the illustrations are just wonderful! They include all sorts of prairie animals, including my favorite – The Jackalope. I received this ARC book for free from Booksprouts and this is my honest review.
Katy
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute story for younger readers about a pesky fly that tries to befriends different animals in the wild range!

As an elementary teacher, I fell in love with the author's voice and the lyrical language. I'll use this book to teach alliteration.
Sherry Frayne
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story with beautiful illustrations! Randy Rowdy is fierce and confident! Just when you think her number is up, she proves she is the the greatest outlaw! My son absolutely loved her. We were on the edge of our seats! Well done!
Rhonda
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read with an interesting lead character. Like the cowboy and ranch aspect. Has horses! Kids will enjoy this story!

Donald Scott
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Rowdy Randy is a colorful picture book depicting an average day in the Wild West through the eyes of a rather large, rambunctious female horsefly who lives to stir up trouble. In beautiful, gallery-worthy, fully-painted illustrations, we follow Randy as she buzzes the cows and bulls and other animals, even narrowly missing some fatal blowback from an angry fish and nest of rattlesnakes less than thrilled with her attention. Personal highlight: Randy bronco-busting a cranky lizard, which kids sho ...more
Sonja
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It would definitely have my vote for the Buckaroo! Great collaboration with author and illustrator to compliment a fun and exciting story!
Carol
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations. The story was very cute. I gave it to my grandson for his birthday gift in May.. He loved it..Kept his attention.
Gerald sliker  jr
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: FOR ANY CHILD OR SAVE
THE PICTURES ARE BEAUTIFUL.

EASY FOR ANY ONE TO READ

WOULD GIVE TO ANY CHILD TO READ.

THEY WOULD ENJOY THE BOOK.
Cheryl
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable. The pages have vibrant color also. I gave this to my grandson and he loved it.
Amanda
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book for kids! Loved the story and the illustrations!
Myssy
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming story with beautiful illustrations that seem to come off the page!
Aletha Pagett
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute book for children about the wild, wild west. Art work is delightful.
Camille Pum
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in the giveaway! Super cute read! My kids loved it.
Penny
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a Giveaway winner, very cute. Thank you, can’t wait to share with my granddaughter!
Julia Chavez
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My kids loved Rowdy Randy. It was full of adventure, and the illustrations were amazing.
Victoria Elizabeth
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a powerful story! The illustrations are phenomenal!
Destiny Brown
Sep 15, 2019
Carol
Apr 23, 2019

• Next to Last Stand (Walt Longmire, #16)
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? And other Questions about Dead Bodies
  • North of Laramie (Buck Trammel #1)
  • Free Fall (Mark Beamon, #3)
  • Escape from Hangtown (Lucas Fume #2)
  • Last Hunt
  • Black Cats get a Bad Rap
  • Trouble Country
  • Panhandle Pioneer
  • Teddy Bear Tea
  • Fight the Germs: Why wash hands and social distance? (The new normal adventure)
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Lost in the Moments that Follow
  • Conquering Life’s Course: Common Sense in Chaotic Times
  • The naughty Naughty Chair
  • The Last Train to London
  • Experiencing Ministry Supervision
Author Casey Rislov is the award-winning author of six children's books. She holds a holds a master's degree in elementary education and is endorsed in early childhood and special needs. Casey shares her passion for reading, writing, and storytelling with children of all ages during her popular story times, school visits, and workshops. She lives in Wyoming with her three greatest loves, her husba ...more

News & Interviews