Start by marking “A Fox Found a Box” as Want to Read:
A Fox Found a Box

A Fox Found a Box

When his radio breaks, a little fox finds that the forest is filled with its own rhythm and music--drip drops and chirp chirps--in this picture book that gently introduces the concept of mindfulness.

A little fox is digging for food when--OUCH! What is that?--the fox finds a box! When the fox brings the box home to his animal friends--and turns a funny-looking knob--the box
Published October 29th 2019 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about A Fox Found a Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fox Found a Box

Start your review of A Fox Found a Box
La Coccinelle
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is more of a clunky metaphor and an admonishment to tech-obsessed kids than anything else.

A fox finds a radio while searching the snow for food. The animals figure out how to get the radio to play music, and soon they're listening to it all the time. But one day, the radio won't work anymore. The animals try to get the radio to play music again, but it won't. Then the fox realizes that the forest makes a sort of music of its own. Soon, all the other animals can hear it, too. Then they're
KC
I enjoyed the illustrations but can’t quite understand why the woodland animals needed a radio dying in order for them to be able to see the beauty around them. (Perhaps a deeper message for humans)
Maeve
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-juvies-ya
Super cute - do kids even know what radios are though?
Abby Johnson
When fox finds a mysterious music-producing box in the forest, he and the other forest animals rock out until the box stop making music and they start listening to the sounds of the forest all around them. This is a fun music-centered story and has beautiful wintery foresty illustrations.
Erin
This is very cute story with charming illustrations but I do wonder how well it would connect with kids today who are unlikely to have a box radio at home.
Beggars Banquet
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely will be stocking this one. Lovely illustrations and a sweet message about the wonders of nature, music all around.
Barbara
As is the case for many readers, I find it amusing to ponder what might happen if animals were more like humans or vice versa, and it's interesting to think about what they might do when they encounter some artifact from our world. In this picture book, that's exactly what happens. A fox happens upon a battery-powered radio buried in the snow while foraging for food. He somehow manages to turn it on, and the other animals are charmed by the song of music the emits from its speakers. The notes ...more
Stephanie Tournas
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a charming book that I have already used in story time. A fox finds a box, and upon fiddling with a dial, the box starts to make music. Fox and his friends love the feeling of moving to the rhythm of the music. They experience relaxation, sadness and even the exhilaration of rocking out: “It felt nice.” When the music eventually stops, they have to come to terms with the silence. I loved everything about this story: the playful pencil and watercolor art, the lovely snowy forest setting, ...more
Austin Gullett
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. First, the illustrations are adorable. Second, it highlights both the fun of music and the comfort of silence. It’s about appreciating the joys of the world, and especially that of the winter world, when everything might seem a little more quiet than other times of the year. (I’ve shelved it as Christmas because listening to music constantly and then sitting in content silence is more or less my ideal Christmas activity.)
Michele
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
From the author of the Douglas, You Need Glasses books comes the story of a fox who finds a radio, but doesn't know what it is. Chances are younger readers may not know either! Fox discovers that it 'sings' and suddenly all his forest friends learn the power of music to affect their feelings and emotions. When the batteries die, they realize that music is everywhere, they just need to take the time to listen.
Ashley
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty illustrations, nice story that doesn't push a lesson about moving on or breaking a tech habit to enjoy nature, but it could be a good discussion prompt. There are lots of good questions for a one-on-one read, starting with what is that box anyway, and why does it stop working?

Recommended for ages 3-6.
Gabrielle Stoller
A fox found a box....then all of the animals LOVED listening to the box. It helps them discover the music all around them. Yes, the story is a little dumb, but it is a good way to show children just what is around them!!!

I think the illustrations are my favorite part.

Anthony
While digging for food in the winter snow, a little fox finds a radio buried in the snow. He and his woodland friends listened to the music emitting from it everyday until the batteries died. But they rediscovered something that they had been missing while the radio played for them.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A playful story about the sensory pleasures of music and nature.
Kelly
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fox finds a curious box (a radio) and it chances the lives of him and his friends.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A cute book about group of animals that found a radio. This would make a great one-on-one story for lower elementary children.
Karen
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this wonderful story. Friends coming together and enjoying each other. Music makes everyone happy but friends make you smile.
Amy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love the sweet, charming illustrations. It makes an interesting point about how technology can actually distract us from all the beauty and wonder around us.
Janet
Jan 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
This story does not work for me. And will children even recognize a radio with an antenna? Those of you who find the positives of this title, please comment.
Emma
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Tracie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A strange box with dials brings the forest animals together, and heightens their awareness and appreciation of the sounds around them.
Bookish
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet picture book that encourages readers to listen to the world around them and find their own beat.
Jennifer Kelley
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet story. Would be a good read-aloud, esp. with some musical accompaniment.
Rachael Button
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read at Outreach storytimes in December. It worked well for the littles (preschool and preK and for first grade classes.) Kids enjoyed making predictions and noticing details in the illustrations.
Morgan Stamper
Love this, very adorable illustrations and the story is so cute!
Sally
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Fox finds a box, and the forest enjoys listening.
When the box stops, they learn to listen to their environment - a good lesson for us all.
Katy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the illustrations, but unfortunately this is a little outdated. People now who are in their 20s would maybe not have ever seen a classic square radio like this, let along children now.
Brittany
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
My daughter and I really enjoyed this one. We especially loved the animals dancing to the music. I kept thinking, geez someone give those poor animals some batteries or something! Ha!
EJLJ
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pamunkey-library
A fun way for kids to be excited to make music from the things around them. The illustrations and story are quite cute.
Carrie

• The Shortest Day
  • Ruby’s Worry
  • The Perfect Seat
  • Small in the City
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • I Wonder