Start by marking “A Fox Found a Box” as Want to Read:
A Fox Found a Box

A Fox Found a Box

When his radio breaks, a little fox finds that the forest is filled with its own rhythm and music--drip drops and chirp chirps--in this picture book that gently introduces the concept of mindfulness.

A little fox is digging for food when--OUCH! What is that?--the fox finds a box! When the fox brings the box home to his animal friends--and turns a funny-looking knob--the box
Published October 29th 2019 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about A Fox Found a Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fox Found a Box

Start your review of A Fox Found a Box
La Coccinelle
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is more of a clunky metaphor and an admonishment to tech-obsessed kids than anything else.

A fox finds a radio while searching the snow for food. The animals figure out how to get the radio to play music, and soon they're listening to it all the time. But one day, the radio won't work anymore. The animals try to get the radio to play music again, but it won't. Then the fox realizes that the forest makes a sort of music of its own. Soon, all the other animals can hear it, too. Then they're
KC
I enjoyed the illustrations but cant quite understand why the woodland animals needed a radio dying in order for them to be able to see the beauty around them. (Perhaps a deeper message for humans) ...more
Maeve
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-juvies-ya
Super cute - do kids even know what radios are though?
Abby Johnson
When fox finds a mysterious music-producing box in the forest, he and the other forest animals rock out until the box stop making music and they start listening to the sounds of the forest all around them. This is a fun music-centered story and has beautiful wintery foresty illustrations.
Janet
Jan 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
This story does not work for me. And will children even recognize a radio with an antenna? Those of you who find the positives of this title, please comment.
Erin
This is very cute story with charming illustrations but I do wonder how well it would connect with kids today who are unlikely to have a box radio at home.
Beggars Banquet
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely will be stocking this one. Lovely illustrations and a sweet message about the wonders of nature, music all around.
Barbara
As is the case for many readers, I find it amusing to ponder what might happen if animals were more like humans or vice versa, and it's interesting to think about what they might do when they encounter some artifact from our world. In this picture book, that's exactly what happens. A fox happens upon a battery-powered radio buried in the snow while foraging for food. He somehow manages to turn it on, and the other animals are charmed by the song of music the emits from its speakers. The notes ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
A Fox Found a Box by Ged Adamson. PICTURE BOOK. Schwartz & Wade (Random), 2019. $18. 9781984830531

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

While fox is looking for food, he finds instead a box - a box that makes sounds. Those sounds make the forest animals feel things - good things! Then one day the box stops working, no matter what the animals try. In the silence, however, they find the natural music of the forest.

Without being heavy handed, Adamsons story
Stephanie Tournas
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a charming book that I have already used in story time. A fox finds a box, and upon fiddling with a dial, the box starts to make music. Fox and his friends love the feeling of moving to the rhythm of the music. They experience relaxation, sadness and even the exhilaration of rocking out: It felt nice. When the music eventually stops, they have to come to terms with the silence. I loved everything about this story: the playful pencil and watercolor art, the lovely snowy forest setting, ...more
Arminzerella
After fox finds a radio buried in the snow, he takes it back to his animal friends and they all learn to enjoy the different sounds it makes - music to their ears! This only lasts as long as the batteries do, and then the box falls silent. The animals are sad until they begin to notice all of the natural sounds of the forest around them, which then "sing them to sleep" each night. Perhaps the unusual music is what makes the animals notice/appreciate nature's music even more? It seems more likely ...more
Austin
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. First, the illustrations are adorable. Second, it highlights both the fun of music and the comfort of silence. Its about appreciating the joys of the world, and especially that of the winter world, when everything might seem a little more quiet than other times of the year. (Ive shelved it as Christmas because listening to music constantly and then sitting in content silence is more or less my ideal Christmas activity.) ...more
Michele
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
From the author of the Douglas, You Need Glasses books comes the story of a fox who finds a radio, but doesn't know what it is. Chances are younger readers may not know either! Fox discovers that it 'sings' and suddenly all his forest friends learn the power of music to affect their feelings and emotions. When the batteries die, they realize that music is everywhere, they just need to take the time to listen.
Pam
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fox finds a radio when searching for food under the snow. Through trial and error, he turns it on and the animals dance and enjoy time together. As readers may anticipate, the batteries eventually die leaving the "box" silent. They then discover the music in the natural world around them.
Cute illustrations bring the animals to life. Simple to follow text for elementary level readers. Message to listen to the world around you comes through.
Ashley
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty illustrations, nice story that doesn't push a lesson about moving on or breaking a tech habit to enjoy nature, but it could be a good discussion prompt. There are lots of good questions for a one-on-one read, starting with what is that box anyway, and why does it stop working?

Recommended for ages 3-6.
Elizabeth
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the title you would assume it would rhyme. It did not. A fun idea about when an animal finds and old radio and somehow they learn to dance but when the radio stops working they learn to appreciate the sounds around them. Music is all around us and the animals end up appreciating that.

Scwartz and Wade Books 2019
Gabrielle Stoller
A fox found a box....then all of the animals LOVED listening to the box. It helps them discover the music all around them. Yes, the story is a little dumb, but it is a good way to show children just what is around them!!!

I think the illustrations are my favorite part.

Tiziana
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When fox discovers a musical box (radio) buried in the snow, he and the other animals start to sing and dance. Once the radio stops working, the animals learn that there is music in nature all around them.
Read  Ribbet
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The box that the fox finds is a radio and the forest animals discover the power of music until the box grows silent. Then the animals discover the musical sounds that have always been around them. Sweet story that shows the power of music and the power of silence.
Anthony
While digging for food in the winter snow, a little fox finds a radio buried in the snow. He and his woodland friends listened to the music emitting from it everyday until the batteries died. But they rediscovered something that they had been missing while the radio played for them.
Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
I have a lot of questions. I LOVED the first half of the book and was very excited to read it at a Storytime. And thennnn things changed, I got very confused, and then the book just ended.
Again, I have a lot of questions.
Kelly
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fox finds a curious box (a radio) and it chances the lives of him and his friends.
J.
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute!
Alyssa Gudenburr
A cute book about group of animals that found a radio. This would make a great one-on-one story for lower elementary children.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A playful story about the sensory pleasures of music and nature.
Karen
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this wonderful story. Friends coming together and enjoying each other. Music makes everyone happy but friends make you smile.
Emma
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Amy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love the sweet, charming illustrations. It makes an interesting point about how technology can actually distract us from all the beauty and wonder around us.
Bookish
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet picture book that encourages readers to listen to the world around them and find their own beat.
Jessica

• The Space Walk
  • Small in the City
  • Home in the Woods
  • Sweep
Ged Adamson is a British picture-book author and artist. He has worked as a cartoonist, a storyboard artist, and a composer for television and film. He grew up in Liverpool and now lives in London with his partner, Helen, and their son, Rex.

News & Interviews