Start by marking “A Fox Found a Box” as Want to Read:
A Fox Found a Box

A Fox Found a Box

When his radio breaks, a little fox finds that the forest is filled with its own rhythm and music--drip drops and chirp chirps--in this picture book that gently introduces the concept of mindfulness.

A little fox is digging for food when--OUCH! What is that?--the fox finds a box! When the fox brings the box home to his animal friends--and turns a funny-looking knob--the box
Published October 29th 2019 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about A Fox Found a Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fox Found a Box

Start your review of A Fox Found a Box
La Coccinelle
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is more of a clunky metaphor and an admonishment to tech-obsessed kids than anything else.

A fox finds a radio while searching the snow for food. The animals figure out how to get the radio to play music, and soon they're listening to it all the time. But one day, the radio won't work anymore. The animals try to get the radio to play music again, but it won't. Then the fox realizes that the forest makes a sort of music of its own. Soon, all the other animals can hear it, too. Then they're ha
KC
I enjoyed the illustrations but can’t quite understand why the woodland animals needed a radio dying in order for them to be able to see the beauty around them. (Perhaps a deeper message for humans)
Maeve
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-juvies-ya
Super cute - do kids even know what radios are though?
Abby Johnson
When fox finds a mysterious music-producing box in the forest, he and the other forest animals rock out until the box stop making music and they start listening to the sounds of the forest all around them. This is a fun music-centered story and has beautiful wintery foresty illustrations.
Savannah Hendricks
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun story about listening to the sounds of nature.
Blanco Meyers
Jan 12, 2021 rated it liked it
I liked the illustrations. And I liked the different ways the music was portrayed. "Rock Out" was bright and fun.
I did not care for the story after the radio died because it seemed odd to me that the animals wouldn't have been aware of the sounds of nature before they found the radio.
Janet
Jan 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
This story does not work for me. And will children even recognize a radio with an antenna? Those of you who find the positives of this title, please comment.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
A Fox Found a Box by Ged Adamson. PICTURE BOOK. Schwartz & Wade (Random), 2019. $18. 9781984830531

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

While fox is looking for food, he finds instead a box - a box that makes sounds. Those sounds make the forest animals feel things - good things! Then one day the box stops working, no matter what the animals try. In the silence, however, they find the natural music of the forest.

Without being heavy handed, Adamson’s story promotes t
Pam
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fox finds a radio when searching for food under the snow. Through trial and error, he turns it on and the animals dance and enjoy time together. As readers may anticipate, the batteries eventually die leaving the "box" silent. They then discover the music in the natural world around them.
Cute illustrations bring the animals to life. Simple to follow text for elementary level readers. Message to listen to the world around you comes through.
Beggars Banquet
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely will be stocking this one. Lovely illustrations and a sweet message about the wonders of nature, music all around.
Erin
This is very cute story with charming illustrations but I do wonder how well it would connect with kids today who are unlikely to have a box radio at home.
Barbara
As is the case for many readers, I find it amusing to ponder what might happen if animals were more like humans or vice versa, and it's interesting to think about what they might do when they encounter some artifact from our world. In this picture book, that's exactly what happens. A fox happens upon a battery-powered radio buried in the snow while foraging for food. He somehow manages to turn it on, and the other animals are charmed by the song of music the emits from its speakers. The notes ev ...more
Stephanie Tournas
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a charming book that I have already used in story time. A fox finds a box, and upon fiddling with a dial, the box starts to make music. Fox and his friends love the feeling of moving to the rhythm of the music. They experience relaxation, sadness and even the exhilaration of rocking out: “It felt nice.” When the music eventually stops, they have to come to terms with the silence. I loved everything about this story: the playful pencil and watercolor art, the lovely snowy forest setting, ...more
Arminzerella
After fox finds a radio buried in the snow, he takes it back to his animal friends and they all learn to enjoy the different sounds it makes - music to their ears! This only lasts as long as the batteries do, and then the box falls silent. The animals are sad until they begin to notice all of the natural sounds of the forest around them, which then "sing them to sleep" each night. Perhaps the unusual music is what makes the animals notice/appreciate nature's music even more? It seems more likely ...more
Prabhjot Kaur
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
A fox whilst looking for food finds a box in the snow that turns out to be a radio. All the animals try to figure out what it is and they turn it on somehow and start to enjoy the music that plays on the radio. Then the box stops playing the music and they try everything they can to hear the music once more until they realize that the forest makes it's own music and they start to enjoy that.

A cute story telling us that there is music in all sorts of things that we can enjoy if only we stop and n
Michele
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
From the author of the Douglas, You Need Glasses books comes the story of a fox who finds a radio, but doesn't know what it is. Chances are younger readers may not know either! Fox discovers that it 'sings' and suddenly all his forest friends learn the power of music to affect their feelings and emotions. When the batteries die, they realize that music is everywhere, they just need to take the time to listen. ...more
Ashley
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty illustrations, nice story that doesn't push a lesson about moving on or breaking a tech habit to enjoy nature, but it could be a good discussion prompt. There are lots of good questions for a one-on-one read, starting with what is that box anyway, and why does it stop working?

Recommended for ages 3-6.
Elizabeth
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the title you would assume it would rhyme. It did not. A fun idea about when an animal finds and old radio and somehow they learn to dance but when the radio stops working they learn to appreciate the sounds around them. Music is all around us and the animals end up appreciating that.

Scwartz and Wade Books 2019
Valleri
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a tremendous hit with my son who loves all things foxes. This story inspires youngsters to listen to the world around them as a way of connecting to the natural music Mother Earth provides. We loved every page with its cozy, colorful illustrations and the main character, Fox, was endearing to the end :-)
Anthony
While digging for food in the winter snow, a little fox finds a radio buried in the snow. He and his woodland friends listened to the music emitting from it everyday until the batteries died. But they rediscovered something that they had been missing while the radio played for them.
Gabrielle Stoller
A fox found a box....then all of the animals LOVED listening to the box. It helps them discover the music all around them. Yes, the story is a little dumb, but it is a good way to show children just what is around them!!!

I think the illustrations are my favorite part.

Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
I have a lot of questions. I LOVED the first half of the book and was very excited to read it at a Storytime. And thennnn things changed, I got very confused, and then the book just ended.
Again, I have a lot of questions.
Tiziana
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When fox discovers a musical box (radio) buried in the snow, he and the other animals start to sing and dance. Once the radio stops working, the animals learn that there is music in nature all around them.
Read  Ribbet
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The box that the fox finds is a radio and the forest animals discover the power of music until the box grows silent. Then the animals discover the musical sounds that have always been around them. Sweet story that shows the power of music and the power of silence.
Jesse
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Khloe Howie
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like the cute critters from the forest and the illustrations had a variety of settings. Simple story with a simple message. It will keep youngsters entertained and will probably encourage some unique dancing!
Feb 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
A fox finds a radio. All the animals love the music. The radio stops playing. The animals have to learn to find music in nature. They end up loving it. It was okay, but the message that there is music in nature was beautiful and children will understand it.
Misty
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-love
PERFECT story time book! LOVED the great story and even better illustrations! LOVE!
Karen
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this wonderful story. Friends coming together and enjoying each other. Music makes everyone happy but friends make you smile.
Carrie

• The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • Tomorrow Most Likely
  • In a Jar
  • Explorers
Ged Adamson is a British picture-book author and artist. He has worked as a cartoonist, a storyboard artist, and a composer for television and film. He grew up in Liverpool and now lives in London with his partner, Helen, and their son, Rex.