Start by marking “Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B” as Want to Read:
Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B

Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B

Welcome to beautiful Hope Island, where the sun is shining, the locals are welcoming, and Lola is about to find a second chance at love...
Thirty-one-year-old matchmaker Lola James had it all - until she broke her leg at a wedding and discovered that her so-called 'best friend' was suddenly too busy to call, her flat had far too many steps, and her boyfriend replaced her
Kindle Edition
Published February 14th 2020 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B

Start your review of Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B
Natalia  R
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Matchmaker Lola James thought she had it all- a great job, a gorgeous boyfriend, and wonderful friends. But when she breaks her leg, she discovers that her friends want nothing to do with her, and her boyfriend makes it clear that he's too busy to help her. With no one else in London to take care of her, Lola moves back to her parents' B&B in the picturesque little town of Marram Bay. While she recovers at home, she learns some important lessons about love and friendships.

I found
Vikkie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book definitely made being up half the night with earache bearable.
I have to be honest, I am a huge fan of Portia’s and I am yet to read a book I have disliked. I am always instantly pulled into the pages and absolutely adore the stories as they unfold. This one has been no different. This is a gorgeous read which is guaranteed to leave you smiling.
This is one which has:
Romance
Loveable characters
Fantastic plot

I have devoured this book in a matter of hours, it has gripped me and I
Javier
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Make or break at the lighthouse B&B” was a comical and uplifting story.

After breaking her leg at her best friend’s wedding and being cut off by her boyfriend and friends, Lola has to move back with her parents to her childhood home where she will rediscover herself. There she will have to deal with a mum and dad that are behaving suspiciously and reconnect with some old friends, while trying to find love for an enchanting group of new friends, “The Unmatchables”.

At first I thought Lola
Kim
Shelves: net-galley, 2020
When Lola breaks her leg at her best friends wedding, she soon discovers that she doesn't have the close tight knit group of friends that she thought she had. She has to move back to her mum and dads to be looked after.
I loved the mix of characters that she meets when her mum talks her into running a lonely hearts club with advice. She uses her professional expertise to try and find love for the locals! They are such a varied bunch of people and Lola gets to know them well.
The Lighthouse B&B
Monica (books_over_everything)
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
**Disclaimer: I was given a free e-book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.**

Title Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B

Author Portia MacIntosh

Release Date February 14, 2020

Description from Amazon

Thirty-one-year-old matchmaker Lola James had it all – until she broke her leg at a wedding and discovered that her so-called ‘best friend’ was suddenly
Becca Fowell
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A massive thank you to Harper Collinsfor sending me an e-ARC of this book.
This was a pure guilty pleasure for me. I've never been one for chick lit or anything remotely like that, but every once in a while a read a blurb and I am like 'this book, I need to read this book'. That's exactly what happened with this book and here we are, writing a 4 star review.

At first I did not like the main character, Lola. In the first chapter she just seems to enable her clearly selfish 'best friend', not
Zee Monodee
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Delightful, funny, endearing - Portia MacIntosh delivers a good one once again. It was really a nice story (and I mean that in all the positive aspects of the word nice, not sarcastically or anything). Does it rock your world and change your views about life and such? No … but it doesn't need to, as the aim, to me, is to pass a good time reading about human, relatable characters with their flaws and humanness, all in an engaging voice and prose that really make the pages flow and keeps you ...more
Sónia
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The beginning of the book bothered me a little because it's such a short book that I expected the love interest to be introduced earlier than 40% into the book. I still enjoyed the romance, a lot, and although I can't relate to the main character Lola, Dean is such a funny love interest that I couldn't give this less than 3 stars.
If you can overlook what I mentioned above, then the romance is fun and cute!
Kim
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for an enjoyable and cute read. Short but sweet, perfect with a cup of tea. Enjoyed reading about Lola and her new Marram bay friends. Looking forward to more stories set in this cosy seaside town.

My copy was provided by NetGalley for review all opinions are my own.
Patty
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B by Portia MacIntosh is a delightful romantic comedy that I really enjoyed. Lola James is a matchmaker who broke her leg at her best friend's wedding. Unfortunately Lola finds out who her real friends are when she needs help since she will be in a wheelchair for awhile. Lola's boyfriend won't even help, so she returns to her parents home. I enjoyed all the twists and turns in Lola's life, and this was a fun book to escape with. I highly recommend this book. ...more
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
* I received a review ARC courtesy of NetGalley.*

Make or Break at the Light House B&B (say that five times fast) was my first experience with author Portia MacIntosh. It was also my first approved arc for review on Netgalley so, naturally, I went into it with high hopes and utter excitement. I cannot say I was disappointed.

Our girl Lola is a small town girl living in the big city with a rather unique career as a celebrity matchmaker. She’s got the hot boyfriend and ritzy friends.
Gemma Harris
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kat Robson
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book. If you want something nice and cosy and where love happens then this is the book.
Lola has a brilliant job in the big city but at her best friends wedding she breaks her leg and requires round the clock care and all her friends and her boyfriend all decided its too much and don't offer her a room so she's upset to have to go home to her parents B&B in Marram bay yorkshire. Lola isnt enthused by the idea of being treated like a baby because she cnanot do the smallest of things
Elaine
What a fabulous read this proved to be - another fantastic romcom from this highly talented author, a story I have absolutely no hesitation in highly recommending to anyone looking for a lighthearted, fun romance to escape into.

Lola James had left her island home and was working as a matchmaker for the rich and famous in London. She thinks she has it all - a dream job, great friends and hot boyfriend. However, after falling and breaking her leg she discovers just how tenuous those things are.
Ems. (afternoonbookery)
I am a big fan of Portia and i have read several books within this world as well as others and as always, she does not disappoint.

Lola James had it all, she had a boyfriend, a well paid job and glamorous friends, however when she breaks her leg at her best friends wedding, their true colours begin to show when no one wants to help her out and she is basically sent packing to her mum and dads b&b to live.

Even that isnt practical with a broken leg, as its a lighthouse, and Lola is confined
Angela
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much NetGalley for allowing me to read this ARC.
This happens to be the first book I've read of Portia Macintosh and let me say I was not disappointed one bit! She has an excellent way of putting the right words on the page. It has it all..heartbreak, romance, friends to lovers, comedy. You need to pick up this book and take it on your next vacation cause you will devour it on the plane or on the beach. Such a fun read that just leaves you feeling joyful and happy after it's done. A
Emma
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is part of the Marram Bay series, it is set on Hope Island. It is definitely a standalone book. There are references to the other books, and some of the previous characters pop up in cameo roles. It is wonderful to catch up with them.
The protagonist Lola is a matchmaker in London for the rich and famous. When she breaks her leg, she soon discovers that her friends are not real friends at all.
She is forced to temporarily move back home to her parents B&B on Hope Island. Her Mum goes
Asianbookworm.reads
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“𝘼 𝙬𝙞𝙨𝙚 𝙢𝙖𝙣 𝙤𝙣𝙘𝙚 𝙨𝙖𝙞𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩, 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮, 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙖𝙬𝙖𝙮.”

“𝙄 𝙙𝙤𝙣’𝙩 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙖 𝙫𝙞𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙢, 𝙄 𝙙𝙤𝙣’𝙩 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡 𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙙 𝙙𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙗𝙮, 𝙄 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙢𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙝𝙞𝙢 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙮, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙪𝙣𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙇𝙞𝙖𝙢 𝙉𝙚𝙚𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝙄 𝙙𝙤 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙬𝙝𝙤 𝙝𝙚 𝙞𝙨, 𝙄 𝙙𝙤 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙝𝙚 𝙞𝙨, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙄 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙢𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙝𝙞𝙢 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙚𝙙 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙢𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙮 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙛𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙨.”

So here I am falling in love with a new author. I am so happy I finally picked up one of Portia Macintosh books. I was looking for a
Kerry-louise Jones
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is everything you could want in a fun, romantic, quick read and it comes neatly wrapped up with this stunning cover. This is the perfect read for the month of love or for any time you just want to escape into a beautifully described setting with some witty character interactions.

As I started reading this I thought that I was going to struggle with the main character as she seemed superficial and naive but once she was back in her home setting she became a much more likeable and savvy
Annarella
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some days you just want to read a story that is funny, well written and engrossing. On one of those days I read this story and I can say it fully satisfied my needs.
It's fun to read, well written and engrossing.
Lola is a likable and relatable character that made me smile and root for her. I like her arc and I loved how she changed in the story.
The entire cast of character is well thought and I appreciated how the author developed her characters.
I loved the setting and the descriptions made me
Shannon Volker
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute, light hearted book that had me laughing out loud. The characters were are very likable, despite their flaws. Not to mention the character growth and development that is presented in Lola. I absolutely love character development and how her attitude went from pitty party, hating that she had to come live with her parents. To absolutely loving it and finding out not only who her real friends are but also who she is and wants to be. The way the author describes the setting ...more
Kathleen Gray
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lola found out a lot when she broke her leg falling off her six inch heels- mostly that her friends and her boyfriend aren't really her friends. She discovers it is possible to go home again when she finds herself back at her parent's B&B in Marram Bay. This is a real takes a village rom-com- Lola's a matchmaker in London and now her parents help her form the Unmatchables, all of whom are, of course, completely matchable! She's also got two love interests of her own. Will and Dean- which one ...more
Delacey
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, arc
My experience to date has been hit or miss with chick lit book. I don't tend to read lots of them as often the romances are just not developed enough for me, yet every year I find a handful of book blurbs that I just can't resist. Well this book was a hit for me. It had a nice blend of "finding herself", humour and romance. Light drama, nothing over the top, and characters that were likeable. Overall, a very enjoyable funny story. *I received an ARC of this book and this is my voluntary and ...more
Alison Pashley
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Lola, the main character was both likeable and relatable (living back under your mum's roof when you're in your 30s is enough to make anyone regress to a sulky 15yo!!). I also thought the parents and the supporting characters were well written.
The setting sounded beautiful, and if I had one criticism it would be that perhaps more could have been made of that (both the lighthouse and the causeway).
Overall though, a fun easy read. I've not read any of Portia
The Cris Corner
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It took me to read only two books of Portia MacIntosh to realize that she is the Queen of Chick Lit.
I love her writing style so ironic and hilarious.
This is a story of second chances. James's cool life in London turns down when she breaks a leg and she has to come back her parents house in the little village of Hope Island. During a period of six weeks, Lola will have to remain in a wheelchair which will be pushed by her family and her new friends. All they will get her to know what is the real
N
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, fun read. At first you think the story is going to be a bit superficial with characters like Gia and Patrick but once Lola breaks her leg and moves back to Marram Bay the everything feels more grounded and realistic. Lola was a likeable lead character and I liked the little group of friends she built up during her sessions. There were some good supporting characters as well like Lola’s parents, Robbie the chef and all of the Unmatchables (especially dishy Dean). Well worth a ...more
Hsu Lee
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily offered to review this book with no obligations and my opinions are honest!
This was a great book !
Lola seems to be having a bad day.
But it looks like things are starting to improve for Lola.
Read the book to find out how !
Loved the characters + the storytelling !
It has all the ingredients that you need for a great book!
Kristin
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Make or Break at the Lighthouse B & B is a light and funny novel with lovable characters and a great plot. I'm normally a bit reluctant towards chick lit and romance, but I actually enjoyed this one a lot.
Rebecca Goss
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and easy read. There was humor and friendship abound. Let’s not forget romance and often not where expected! I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Ppcfransen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit, xr, netgalley
Lovely story. I enjoyed it very much. A book like a long, warm cuddle.

Lola is the sort of heroine I like: confident in most matters, insecure in others.

The supporting cast are all lovely and not too quirky.

I read an ARC through NetGalley.

• New Beginnings At Glendale Hall
  • No, We Can't Be Friends
  • Starting Over at Acorn Cottage
  • Family For Beginners
  • A Cat Called Cupid
  • My Pear-Shaped Life
  • An Almost Perfect Holiday
  • The Secret Seaside Escape
  • Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale #3)
  • Clover Cottage
  • The Dilemma
  • Little Boy Lost (DCI Anna Tate, #3)
  • All About Us
  • A Perfect Cornish Christmas
  • Christmas at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • A Christmas Wish and a Cranberry Kiss at the Cosy Kettle (Cosy Kettle, #3)
  • Coming Home to Glendale Hall
Portia MacIntosh has been ‘making stuff up’ for as long as she can remember – or
so she says. Whether it was blaming her siblings for that broken vase when she
was growing up, blagging her way backstage during her rock chick phase or,