Start by marking “Touchy Subjects: Stories” as Want to Read:
Touchy Subjects: Stories

Touchy Subjects: Stories

In this sparkling collection of nineteen stories, the bestselling author of Slammerkin returns to contemporary affairs, exposing the private dilemmas that result from some of our most public controversies. A man finds God and finally wants to father a child-only his wife is now forty-two years old. A coach's son discovers his sexuality on the football field. A roommate's b ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Touchy Subjects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touchy Subjects

Betsy Robinson
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emma Donoghue has written nineteen good-to-wonderful stories about ordinary people's secret deceits, mistakes, intentional wrongdoings, foibles, and idiosyncratic choices—along with their shame or impunity. "Touchy Subjects" is the perfect title, and as a writer, I wish I'd thought of doing my own version of this. I'd only read Donoghue's Room, so this collection was a surprise—a really nice one. Warmly and compassionately written, the loveliest part of these stories for me was that Donoghue doe ...more
Nikki
Had this out of the library for a while, dipping into it off and on, hoping I'd maybe get into it. Answer: no. The stories feel totally mundane, non-revelatory. They don't have the punchy power that a short story should have (in my opinion and to my taste). And now there's a book I want more in at the library, and I need to make space on my card. 'bye, Emma Donoghue.
Pixie Dust
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is made up of short stories about ordinary people caught in unexpected situations and how they react to them. Filled with self-deprecating humour, the stories poke innocent fun at the cute and loveable characters who find themselves in helpless circumstances and awkwardly fumble to cope with or escape their predicaments.

For example, in ‘expecting’, a stranger misheard that a woman is pregnant. In that fleeting moment, the woman thinks it is not necessary to correct the perception of so
Sandy Hogarth
Donoghue takes the prickly subjects, often the ones that need words of political correctness, and the painful, embarrassing, shameful subjects and gives us wonderful characters replete with their flaws, hopes and dreams. The first is the story of the woman, returning to Ireland from the US, trying to get pregnant with the help of a (not too big) jar of sperm from her best friend’s husband. Another, (The Cost of Things) has the escalating cost of a couple’s vet’s bills for their cat threatening t ...more
Amber
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adore Short Story collections by fantastic authors. I've loved Ms. Donoghue's writing since I first picked up a copy of Slammerkin all those years ago and I was thrilled when I stumbled across this little collection.

There are 19 stories tucked into this little gem. Some are better than others, in my opinion, but that made it all the more enjoyable. The characters varied, moving from a high powered business-woman who's willing to do anything it takes to have a child, to a bitter craw
Magdelanye
Some fair, some excellent, a few really moving
a collection of short stories by the inimitable ED
Elaine Burnes
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I hadn’t read any Donoghue, so thought a collection of short stories would be a good introduction and safer than investing in a novel (burned by Sarah Waters, I won’t assume a mainstream writer will necessarily be good).

These are terrific. If there had been more lesbian stories, it would have gotten the full five stars. I was disappointed by that at first, so flipped through and read all the lesbian ones first. Charmed, I went back to read the rest and found no lack of interest. Even the ones wi
Meghan
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
If you liked the movie The Kids are All Right, try this set of short stories about relationships and families by Irish author Emma Donoghue. Divided into categories like birth and death, this collection includes two stories that were so touching and poignant that I almost couldn't stand it: in one, a woman finds herself accidentally browsing in the maternity section of a department store, and, flustered, pretends that she is pregnant when an elderly gentleman congratulates her. In the other, a w ...more
Corinne Wasilewski
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is my first time reading Emma Donoghue. I have no burning desire to seek out more of her work. None of these short stories engaged me in any significant way. The early stories were particularly lackluster. In a month I won't recall a single one. Given the richness of the subject matter, it's unfortunate the author didn't do more than "touch" the surface. She comes up with some nice metaphors, though.
Ellie
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Okay - not my favourite of Donoghue's work.
amber
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some of these stories absolutely slew me-- I read them over and over, at home, on the beach, and out loud to friends. Donoghue takes the familiar (romance, domesticity) and reveals the unfamiliar hidden within those everyday situations.

Her characters include heterosexual couples, lesbian and gay couples, single-businesswomen-seeking-sperm, evangelical Christians, and people who just really love dogs; all of these are treated with honest affection, making their stories relatable. Had I known the
Loretta
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good collection of stories. An easy, quick read, but there is some real power in the characters and relationships captured in these little tales. The stories ranged from what at first struck me as awfully "traditional family" centred stories, with lots of babies (although even those had a few twists), to a section called "desire" which included several queer/GLBT stories which were wonderful. I continue to love Donoghue's writing and will keep reading whatever she puts out.
andrea
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
In my eyes, Emma Donoghue can do very little wrong. This themed collection (babies, domesticity, strangers, desire and death) feels like a chat with a good friend. Donoghue does great dialogue, and her situations are deeply realistic. I can see myself picking this collection up to return to a few of the stories again and again.
Claire
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was torn about this rating. I loved the stories in the first half of the book and was much less enchanted with the second half (except for The Cost of Things, which was great). I skipped a few stories, actually. But still . . . there were enough good ones in here for me to admire the book.
Abbey
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't love this one as much as her other short story collections but I can see how it could make some readers uncomfortable with the content.
Aldi
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, short-stories
Just about the perfect short story collection.
Angie Fehl
In this odd little short story collection, Emma Donoghue breaks up her tales into five categories of general life: Babies, Domesticity, Strangers, Desire and Death. A rundown of of the stories:

BABIES

"Touchy Subjects" (title story) -- a man agrees to be the sperm donor to his wife's best friend. Story gets into general discussion of fertility struggles of women

"Expecting" -- a woman lies about being pregnant, the lie gets out of hand

"The Man Who Wrote On Beaches" -- a man turns 43 and finds relig
Daný
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is the fourth book I read by Emma Donoghue (following The Sealed Letter and Frog Music, which I both liked, and Room, which I didn't), and the first collection of stories. I found the overall level of the stories very high - often in a collection, there is quite a difference between the ones you like and the ones you don't, but though I had my favourites, I found all had their strong points.

Donoghue divided the book in five parts: babies, domesticity, strangers, desire, and death. Each par
Plum-crazy
As I've said before I'm not a great fan of short stories but yet again I find myself giving them another go. I think my problem with them is because so many don't seem to conclude properly - not to me anyhow. One or two of these were like that, getting a snippet of someone elses life & just as you're getting to know the character...the end!

Anyhow, some tales I liked & some I didn't like quite as much - at least there were none I hated or didn't understand! "Do they know it's Christmas? a
Kerstin Gunia
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
To be honest I did not read every story, chose a few under each heading and kept hoping that I would eventually find something of substance. Yes, they are well written but I cannot overlook the vulgarity and profanity. It's lazy to assume that everyone speaks this way. These stories in no way reflect any of my values, instead they mirrored back so much of what is going wrong in society. The self absorbed masses, the propaganda of "if it makes you happy then it must be right", characters that hav ...more
Yvette Adams
Just some simple little stories about some everyday touchy subjects. Stories were collected into themes - babies, domesticity, strangers, desire and death. None of the stories were particularly plot-rich, and most stories didn't have much in terms of an ending, but she just writes beautifully. There were several stories about lesbians and since the author is gay it would have been odd for all the stories to be hetero. This was an easy book to read on a cruise.
A
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh. Pleasant enough read but not interesting enough subject matter to make this a good book. I did really like the story about the feminist cooperative, but others, like the gross predatory age gap erotica and the vaguely racist one where Donoghue tried to write from the perspective of a black man getting his house painted, were just straight up abysmal.
Diane Adams
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of short stories, but I really liked Room...so when I came across this book in a library booth at a Pride event, it was definitely worth borrowing! I liked most of the stories; I loved some of them. The characters were very real, and some were more likable than others!
Michael Reffold
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hard to believe this is from the same writer as Room - most of these stories are pretty poor, with uninteresting characters and events and really abrupt endings. There are a few in the collection with a bit more to offer, especially in the section called Desire, but nothing that really engaged me.
Paul
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emma Donoghue does a delightful job spinning tales that touch on difficult subjects, while giving the reader a great sense of the main characters' desires and fears. Truly believable characters, situations and reactions. Humor, tension and a great feeling of place.
Chelsea
I felt it started out stronger than it ended. Wasn't really interested in the last few stories. In general, enjoyed this collection of short stories though. Have never really read many of these types of books in the past. Will have to add more to my TBR list.
Kristy Engel
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like most of Donoghue's work, this was very easy to read. Maybe 3.5 stars would be more accurate. There was only one or two of the 19 stories that I didn't really like, but at the same time most of the rest were just very vanilla. Good...but not great.
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for a class and I absolutely loved them all. My personal favorite was The Cost of Things.
Nanja Beesknees
Feb 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
saai. verhalen die niet boeiende stukken leven uit niet boeiende personen weergaven, halverwege gestopt met lezen want life is too short to finish stupid books
Margaret
  • A Seahorse Year
  • Lucky in the Corner
  • Close to Spider Man
  • Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor
  • The Mirror and the Mask (Jane Lawless, #17)
  • The Terrible Girls
  • The Fallen Curtain
  • Fitting Ends
  • Dropped Threads: What We Aren't Told
  • Wish I Was Here
Emma is the youngest of eight children of Frances and Denis Donoghue. She attended Catholic convent schools in Dublin, apart from one year in New York at the age of ten. In 1990 she earned a first-class honours BA in English and French from University College Dublin, and in 1997 a PhD (on the concept of friendship between men and women in eighteenth-century English fiction) from the University of ...more