Start by marking “The Dark Side of the Mind: True Stories from My Life as a Forensic Psychologist” as Want to Read:
The Dark Side of the Mind: True Stories from My Life as a Forensic Psychologist

The Dark Side of the Mind: True Stories from My Life as a Forensic Psychologist

'Enthralling and terrifying. The Dark Side of the Mind is a chilling glimpse into a world of miscreants, monsters and the misunderstood.' Professor Dame Sue Black, author of the Sunday Times bestseller All That Remains

'Daynes offers fascinating insights into what makes criminals tick and how they might be more effectively treated. Her book is funny, wise and thoroughly

Published May 30th 2019 by Cassell Illustrated

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Side of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Side of the Mind

Start your review of The Dark Side of the Mind: True Stories from My Life as a Forensic Psychologist
Ruthy lavin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has been described as ‘enthralling and terrifying’ - I would have to agree.
A very well written and fascinating account of extremely interesting and sometimes harrowing cases.
A must read for anyone with an interest in Psychology and True crime.
Samantha
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating. I was truly hooked throughout. Especially learning about Mark Bridger. To make a forensic psychologist feel physically disgusted and repulsed is some "achievement" but wow he is right up there with most notorious criminals. Really sick in the head absolutely beyond repair of any sort. Then there are people like travis. Travis just broke my flipping heart in pieces. That's where the justice system proper sucks.
Louise Mullins
An excellent memoir. Despite being qualified myself I still learned a few things. Highly recommended!
Eva vs The World 🌎
3 stars.

I listened to this book via Audible and I think one of the main reasons for my 3 star rating is the narrator. Her voice was really flat and offered close to no emotion, which made it a little less enjoyable.

The story touches upon Daynes' experience as a forensic psychologist in the UK. Tales of her encounters with prisoners ate interwoven with her own experiences of a woman in a male-dominated profession and industry. At times it was sickening listening to how she was treated by male
Thesincouch
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was exactly what I expected and what I wanted. Dr Daynes know what's she is talking about and knows how to write about it. I didn't lose interest at any point and I was surprised at how compassionate but clear-sighted she was all throughout (I couldn't have been).
Susan
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It’s not often I can call a non-fiction book unputdownable, but I loved this so much it was really hard not to race through it in one sitting late into the night. Instead I rationed myself so that I could eke out the pleasure more. I’d normally only do this with a great fiction novel I was enjoying.

Kerry Daynes has approached her subject with exactly the right tone. The book is full of fascinating anecdotes from her career in forensic psychology, all of which reflect different aspects of the
Tony
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kerry Daynes is a forensic psychologist who's been involved with some deeply troubled people, from dissociated identity disorder people and sex offenders to child killers (including Ian Brady and Mark Bridger). This is her take on the 'dark' psychologies, bolstered with solid psychology, and personal, professional and experimental experience.

Perhaps oddly then - or perhaps this is a mark of my own intrusive psychology - its most interesting elements come from her personal experience as a human
Astrid
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's a memoir from a forensic psychologist and, from what I've read in her book, a wonderful lady. Quite eye-opening, too, and I like that she didn't shy away from her own life experiences - especially her harrowing ordeal with a stalker.

Kerry Daynes is a successful forensic psychologist who started out in the early 90's. Some men have treated her quite disgustingly just because she's a woman, but thankfully she's been able to rise above this to become one of the top
Kate
I really enjoyed this memoir. At the very beginning of this memoir, within her prologue, Daynes states something that is very true:
"Sometime you help your patients see things more clearly, sometimes they help you."

With that as the opening line, I guessed that I was going to enjoy this book. Daynes has produced a very true, frank memoir of her time as a forensic psychologist, showing within its pages that she is not afraid to look at herself, to reveal parts of herself, so that we are able to get
Rachel Matthews
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have an obsession with all things morbid. I am fascinated by serial killers capable of committing some of the worst atrocities human beings are capable of doing. What fascinates me the most is why they do the terrible things they do. What would have to happen to a person to make them do something so evil?
Kerry Daynes fuelled by a need to understand these killers and her desire to help them, embarks on a career in forensic psychology and her book is a glimpse into some of her experiences.

The
Gaby (GNTxREADs)
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, audiobooks
I found the first part of this memoir to be very informative. The author really does set the scene for you and gives you everything you need to create a picture and understand the inner workings of a secure hospital. For myself, I found this a little bit too textbook - but that is likely because it was procedures I was already aware of. Instead I was hoping for more individual case studies.

The book then began to discuss some individual case, following through from the courtroom, to conviction,
Caroline
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a slightly different book for me to read. I've read books about people who commit some of the most heinous crimes ever, but, until now, I've never given a thought to those people in the system who have done things due some sort of mental health issues.
Through reading this book, I've started to realise that not all criminals who are sent to secure units for their (and our) safety can be helped. Nor do all of them want to be helped. Some can feel safer in secure hospitals or similar, as
Jessicka Cameron
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I really thought I was going to love this book, and, initially, I did.

Forensic psychology is something I have a heavy interest in and so this sounded right up my alley.

Unfortunately I found the authors arrogance totally offputting. We get it, you’re an intelligent and successful woman and that’s genuinely awesome. What really, really put me off is when she claimed that profilers aren’t legitimate.

Uh... have you worked for the FBI and helped solve cases due to profiling? I must admit I am a
Fiona Smith
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting and really enjoyed the insight that Kerry gave us, not only into her Professional life, but also part of her personal life. She was able to identify and acknowledge a parallel process that was happening between the lives of her clients/patients - particularly those in violent relationships - including the 'none' relationship of the violent prescence of an unwanted male stalker. By showing her vulnerability, she makes it easy for us to connect to her and her ...more
Othniel
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tales from the life of a forensic psychologist working in the North of England.

No psychopathic master criminals or fiendishly clever serial killers - just ordinary people who have committed crimes - some terrible, some mundane - and who need to be assessed or looked after by professionals.

The book comprises short chapters, each dealing with a particular case, interspersed with details of Daynes' professional development and personal travails (e.g. as a stalking victim). The style is no-nonsense,
Lucy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up as Kerry Daynes is appearing at Cheltenham Literature Festival this year and I liked the sound of it. Definitely not disappointed, I could barely put it down. As someone who has been through a few mental health services, albeit not in the same way as the people mentioned in the book, I feel somewhat vindicated by Kerry’s comments on the system.
If you have a morbid fascination with serious crimes and the people who commit them, then I’d recommend this book. If you have ever been
MISS K DENTON
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put this book down. Superb insight into the career of a talented woman and the challenges she faced both from an overstretched system and her misogynistic colleagues. I was impressed by her refusal to become institutionalised and leant as much from her clients as they did from her. She explained the science and theory of her profession in a clear and succinct way, which is a rarity in this sort of book. Because of this, the book held my interest the whole way through. An excellent read.
Rosemary M
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After seeing Kerry Daynes on multiple TV programmes I was keen to read her memoirs. Like a lot of people, I'm very interested in crime programmes and what motivates people to commit crimes.
Her book is well written and engaging, without being full of technical jargon that's difficult to understand.
Her passion for her work is evident throughout as is her determination and drive to help others.
Each chapter focuses on a different case, some are quite heartbreaking, but all offer a fascinating
Carol
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very Insightful

I have always been interested in the psychology of people, the "what makes them tick". I've always wanted to know what's going on inside somebody's mind, and this book helped me to understand more.
It was interesting, very personal at times, traumatic for the author I'm sure.
It also showed how much still needs to be done in institutions, in law and in Government.
Kerry wrote a very interesting book, I finished it in a day
Charlotte Davies
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. As a psychology-of-true-crime aficionado, I’m sometimes skeptical of these kinds of memoirs as they can be so patchy in terms of quality of writing or insight. Not this one. Daynes’ media-psychologist image belies a strong intelligence and excellent writing abilities. She gives a vivid and self-aware sketch of the kind of clients and issues she has faced professionally. Fascinating and informative.
Becs Davis
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having read many books from experts on true crime shows, I had expected views and stories from well known cases, but was pleasantly surprised to read the person behind the job, the dealings of mental health in different environments. It was a compelling read.

It had sprung to mind that some of the personal stories were quite detailed and I wonder if points had to be changed to avoid breach of confidentiality?

All in all, a recommended read from the psychology side.
Maggie Kiely
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Never heard of this author before but thought this was a great unputdownable read. The book is filled with fascinating tales from her work as a forensic psychologist. I thought the statistic and factoids ware so mind blowing and helpful Ms Daynes informed me that there are about 4 serial killers working in the UK at any one time. I thought this was great I loved every minute of it and would highly recommend.
Anthony Yvonnica
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was an excellent and well written book. I did similar work to the author's and I found most of her 'stories' to be familiar. I appreciated her perspective and I did gain insight into some of the 'stories' I had worked on in my employment. Very well done, very nicely balanced. Excellent book.
Helen
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb book. I found the tales and insights fascinating and didn't want to out the book down. Some parts were very sad, some uplifting, some made you feel worried but others reassured. An amazing insight into the psychology of some individuals, and an amazing insight into the work of a forensic psychologist and strong woman! I could not do what she does but I admire and laud her for her work.
Mary
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and she opening

This book is honest and intermixed with stories of people she has worked with she mixes her own story in there too. The book was very interesting and I very much enjoyed this book.
Ryan Oxley
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Psychology explored. Utterly chilling...

A fascinating insight into the work of a criminal psychologist. Interspersed with real life stories from Kerry's career and life experience. A book to definitely recommend
Amy Lucas
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this insight to the role of professional psychology within the prison service.
Suzy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was gripping and uncomfortable reading, at times, but Kerry Daynes writes with wit and compassion.
Cressida McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting insights into forensic psychology.
Lyma
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. Stars

• The Prison Doctor
  • Unnatural Causes
  • My Life with Murderers: Behind Bars with the World’s Most Violent Men
  • Devil You Know: Looking Out for the Psycho in Your Life
  • Under the Wig: A Lawyer's Stories of Murder, Guilt and Innocence
  • Traces: The memoir of a forensic scientist and criminal investigator
  • When the Dogs Don't Bark: A Forensic Scientist’s Search for the Truth
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Flight Risk: The Highs and Lows of Life as a Doctor at Heathrow Airport
  • Inside Broadmoor: Up close and personal with Britain's most dangerous criminals
  • Hard Pushed: A Midwife’s Story
  • The Heartland: Finding and Losing Schizophrenia
  • The Locked Ward: Memoirs of a Psychiatric Orderly
  • Strangeways: A Prison Officer's Story
  • Obłęd
  • Critical: Science and stories from the brink of human life
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times on Television