Start by marking “Effin' Birds: A Field Guide to Identification” as Want to Read:
Effin' Birds: A Field Guide to Identification

Effin' Birds: A Field Guide to Identification

Effin' Birds is a new volume in the grand and noble profession of nature writing and bird identification. This book contains more than 150 pages crammed full of classic, monochrome plumage art paired with the delightful but dirty aphorisms (think "I'm going to need more booze to deal with this week") that made the Effin' Birds Twitter feed a household name. Also included ...more
Published October 22nd 2019 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Effin' Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effin' Birds

Start your review of Effin' Birds: A Field Guide to Identification
Anima
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny and smart and sweet and adorable - absolutely memorable!
‘INCOMPUNCTIOUS OWL
This owl’s large size and dominating personality allow it to do basically anything it wants.
habitat: Wherever it wants to go.
identifying characteristics: An alarming lack of empathy.
“WEARY JACKDAW
...,
habitat: Twitter, Facebook, whatever is next.
identifying characteristics: Despite being horrified and mentally spent, the weary jackdaw is unable to stop browsing social media.”
Mimi
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Friends who know me well know that I rarely swear and never say f*** but those who know me really well know that I have a secret vein of irreverence. Effin' Birds is a direct shot into that vein.

A friend at Ten Speed Press sent me a stack of books which I promised to share but once I saw this page I absconded with Effin' Birds.

You may notice that I've read a number of books about having hard conversations this year (more reviews coming on more books in this theme which I have found
Paul
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Nature writing seems to be the in thing to be reading at the moment. Wander into your local bookshop and you will find lots of recently published books by people who have recently discovered the healing benefits of nature, or who are extolling the virtues of putting the screen down and looking at something else.

When you have ventured outside, it helps to have a guide to the things that you might see. These have always been popular, especially when it comes to identifying the LBJ’s (little brown
Rebecca
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m adding this to my “read” pile as if flipping through a foul-mouthed picture book could possibly count towards my 30 book challenge.
Rachel Bridgeman
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: october
What can I say about this book?(apart from apologising profusely to the author, publisher and blogtour organiser for putting thewrong date in my diary...I was both a month ahead and behind myself, top organisational skills there!)

It is both stupendously awesome, beautifully made and pant wettingly funny. It makes you look clever to the unitiated -it appears to be a reference book from a distance so is unlikely to scare Great Aunt Margaret unless she gets close enough to read the swears!
This was
Carolyn
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's like an Audubon, if he included relatable captions.
Karen Mace
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may be a little biased as I was one of the 1,800 who pledged to get this book made via Unbound, but I loved this book! It's flipping funny, very sweary, beautifully illustrated and not for those who are easily offended!

But if you're looking for a book to escape the misery of the world we live in nowadays , it's a total blast! And I won't ever listen to birds chattering away in the garden in the same way again, knowing they are probably saying many of the phrases in this book! Rude birds!!

From
Lel Budge
Shelves: anne-cater
OH MY, this is one of the funniest, sarcastic and oh so relatable book of nonsense I’ve ever read.

Full of fowl language and just hilarious.

This is beautifully illustrated, with vintage illustrations of the birds, even including some stunning Audubon pictures too.

I can see this being used as memes everywhere as so many resonate with life, work and dealing with stupid people….I love it.

Thank you to Anne Cater and Random Things Tours for the opportunity to participate in this blog tour and for
Andy Angel
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, this was so much fun. You'll never look at a bird or listen to it's song in the same way again
Sofie
Nov 15, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Again, I read this during a workshift at my store and it's nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards so I'm marking it as read.
Danielle McCament
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is this book childish and somewhat vulgar? Yes.

Is it funny and enjoyable? Yes.

10/10 on enjoyment, I’ve waited quite a while for this book and it was worth it completely!

There were a couple things I didn’t like as an overly particular bird nerd, but rest assured this didn’t lessen how much I liked the book overall. 1, Names of birds should be capitalized like proper nouns. I know that’s not the correct like editing way to do it, but it makes things much easier to understand. There’s only one
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Essential field guide for corporate birding. Shelved right next to my Peterson.
Celeste
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious. I am so glad I bought this book. I identified myself so many times, as well as many other birds I know. Made me laugh so hard I could not put it down.
Sonya Alford
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading 'Effin’ Birds'. I am totally fascinated by birds and have always wondered what exactly they are saying when they talk. I love all the different sounds and the way they communicate with each other. I actually used to wish that I could take a course in bird language so that I could understand their language and maybe even communicate with them. It would make my trips to the park so much more worthwhile. I could talk to the ducks and the herons.

I found this
Michelle Ryles
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
As soon as I saw the cover of Effin' Birds, I knew I had to read it and what a refreshing change of pace this was in my reading schedule. Described as 'pictures of birds with curse words', I sniggered and snorted my way through this book as it really appealed to my sense of humour. I have to say, it really doesn't have a lot to do with birds so if you're an ornithologist, look away now.

There are indeed lots of pictures of birds with curse words but there are also some funny descriptions of
Nicola Smith
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Where to begin..... I'm not sure I know! This is such an unusual and unique book.

First of all, this is a beautifully presented book. The cover is a delight and each and every page holds a fabulous illustration. Most are in black and white but there are two sections of absolutely gorgeous colour illustrations too. All the illustrations are taken from three well known natural history publications.

Effin' Birds is A Field Guide to Identification but if you're expecting serious bird watching facts
Donna Maguire
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it

I thought that this book was excellent!

I have worked with a lot of the "birds" mentioned and met a fair few of them in real life too - I loved the way that the book was set out and the descriptions used on the images.

The book is easy to read (as long as you are not easily offended) and I read the book from start to finish in around an hour or so. I liked the addition of the colour images too and do wish that there would have been quite a few more.

It is
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pretty coffee table book with a vulgar twist.

What if you could read a bird's mind or translate it's song? This book gives you the answer and apparently birds aren't too happy with us. This book attributes the qualities of some of the most annoying humans to birds and has them tell you to f*ck off.
Joanna
It's not that common for a social media phenomenon to work well in book form, but this is certainly an exception. The bizarre juxtaposition of ornithological art and filthy sardonic social commentary translates well into print, but what makes this exceptional is the beauty of the book design. This was a delightful read.
LeAnn Joswick
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Literal Plover was wrong. I got this from the library. Libraries are so awesome that they will locate a book you are interested in from another county and deliver it to your local library. Try it!
Dawn
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After all the years scientists had put into studying birds, it turns out what birds are really saying is fuck off. Maybe. This funny, profane, artistic “field guide” is full of beautiful artwork and descriptions.
Sarah Brillinger
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and awesome ...more
Ayushman
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The world is indeed a shitbarge. But it’s made nicer by Aaron.
Nadia
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't know why but it's incredibly satisfying to read profanities spoken by birds.
James
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A humourous comparison between birds and their human counterparts, and particularly apt in some of its observations!
Courtney LeBlanc
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and vulgar and perfect.
Beth
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
The best possible use of “fowl” language
Tina
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An collection of artsy pictures of birds with sweary captions. What more do you need in a book?
Tynan
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book
Ron S
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A goddamned glory!
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate of book credited to wrong author 3 16 Aug 15, 2019 09:59AM
Goodreads Librari...: Two different Aaron Reynoldses 3 17 Apr 10, 2019 12:35PM

• Ghoster
  • Strange Planet
  • The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America
  • All the Water in the World
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
  • You Can Do All Things: Drawings, Affirmations and Mindfulness to Help With Anxiety and Depression
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse
  • Safe House
  • Into the Dark (Romantic Suspense #23; Cincinnati #5)
  • Frogcatchers
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • So Lucky
  • Violet
  • Star Wars, Vol. 7: The Ashes of Jedha
  • Star Wars, Vol. 9: Hope Dies
  • One by One
  • Star Wars, Vol. 8: Mutiny at Mon Cala
AARON REYNOLDS is a humourist, professional speaker, and the man behind the @EffinBirds and @swear_trek Twitter accounts. When he's not on Twitter, you can find him producing a series of podcasts and at ComicCons dressed as George Lucas. He has been a baseball writer, a fine art printer, and a mall Santa Claus photographer. Aaron was raised in Mississauga, Canada, a suburb where they cut down all ...more