Start by marking “In the Dark” as Want to Read:
In the Dark

In the Dark

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  15,621 ratings  ·  1,034 reviews
A secluded mountain lodge. The perfect getaway. So remote no one will ever find you.

The promise of a luxury vacation at a secluded wilderness spa has brought together eight lucky guests. But nothing is what they were led to believe. As a fierce storm barrels down and all contact with the outside is cut off, the guests fear that it’s not a getaway. It’s a trap.

Each one has
Published December 1st 2019 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.
Christy I don't know but I hope so! I really got attached to their characters, and it just *felt* like the author was not going to leave them here.

·  15,621 ratings  ·  1,034 reviews

Start your review of In the Dark
Dita
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FINALLY! For months I've been skunked by my monthly free read from Kindle Unlimited, but you guys??? DAMN.

I will start by saying that I have huge love for "closed/locked room" mysteries and this one was excellent. I could not wait to learn who was knocking these folks off one by one and why.

I will say this however to anyone who has never read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, "Dafuq is wrong wit you?"

I'm just kidding.

Maybe.

Seriously, And Then There Were None is one of the best books i
Melissa
In her latest standalone, Loreth Anne White delivers a potent dose of dark deeds and suspense, set against a stunning backdrop. A one-way ticket to the remote wilderness of Northern Canada, In the Dark is a cunning exploration of redemption and self-preservation.

For readers that have yet to indulge in White’s work, this is a great opportunity to jump in and experience the power of her storytelling without the commitment of a series. Well, for now at least. A girl can always hope there’s more to
Meredith
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
FUN!

“Cursed are those who Sin
And Lie to cover their deeds
For a Monster will rise within
And they must Repent.”

In the Dark is an entertaining psychological thriller about a group of people lured under false pretenses to a remote cabin as part of one sick individual’s plot for revenge.

There are many elements that I loved about this book, including the ominous atmosphere and some of the characters (the normal ones and the crazies!).

Told through the eyes of multiple narrators, Loreth Anne White smar
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
To the fans of “And Then There Were None” a.k.a. “Ten Little Indians”: I have to warn you this is not remake, retelling and brand new version of story! It’s about nine people. One missed the plane and there were eight. They start to die one by one. The one left behind stuffing her pockets with cream and sugar. Why the hell she’s doing that. We’re introduced that person who shall not be named in the beginning and might be third degree cousin of Lord Voldemort. The story begins at the diner and th ...more
Sandra
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sandra by: AgentScully
Eight (originally nine) guests are lured into going to a remote luxury wilderness spa for ten days. When they arrive it isn't what they expected. The lodge is old, abandoned, and they have no contact with the outside world. They are totally isolated and they begin to realize that they have been tricked into coming. Now they are trapped, and someone out there wants revenge.

I thoroughly enjoyed this riveting suspense book. I really like storylines in which many people are trapped in one place wit
Yun
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Dark starts off with eight lucky strangers being flown out to a secluded wilderness spa for a luxurious vacation. But when they arrive, they realize nothing is as promised. Each guest is hiding a secret that could ruin them if it is discovered. And as an approaching storm cuts off all access to the outside world, they start to understand there is no escape.

This book is so fun! It's exactly the kind of immersive and entertaining thriller that I enjoy. It hits all the right notes when it co
Lisa
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
CURSED ARE THOSE WHO SIN
& LIE TO COVER THEIR DEEDS
FOR A MONSTER LIES WITHIN
& THEY MUST REPENT

Loreth Anne White has geniously come up with a Psychological thriller that is taken by Agatha Christies & Then There were none, she has topped her stance in this genre, I loved every cotton picking minute trying to work out who was going to survive ? & no my detective skills were again wrong.

I was invested in the characters all had something to hide & didn't want anyone to know their reveals which ma
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Nov)
Eight strangers lured to a remote lodge in the wilderness....

One of my favorite Agatha Christie mysteries And Then There Were Noneis used as a sort of copycat premise to make these characters question everything and everyone. Apparently they all have read it and seem to know how the mystery plays out.  Many of the same devices are used to "get to them". Loved all the references to the classic, though some may be spoilers.

I was completely absorbed in the whole mystery and kept changing my m
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
I love knowing when I open a Loreth Anne White book, I'm in for an intense, highly atmospheric experience as her uncanny ability to totally engage readers in a story is nothing short of brilliant. Appreciating this, I settled in to read In The Dark and quickly became enthralled by this extraordinarily addictive, richly detailed suspense thriller. Unraveling the mystery that is presented in this book became an obsession that had me eyeing each character with suspicion as I continuously changed my ...more
Katie B
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

This was my first time reading anything by the author, and I enjoyed this one so much I'm gonna have to check out her other novels. This book is kinda like a modern day retelling of the Agatha Christie mystery, And Then There Were None. In fact that book is actually a part of the storyline in this one. Speaking of that, there are quite a few spoilers about And Then There Were None in this book so if you haven't read that one and would like to, make sure you pass on this one until doing
Matt
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loreth Anne White pens this chilling standalone novel with a mystery that gets better the more layers are revealed. In the rural British Columbia community of Kluhane Bay, hunters find the remains of a prop plane, though no one has reported any missing aircraft. Local RCMP investigate, only to find the pilot murdered within, identity unknown. As the investigation progresses, Search and Rescue are called in to help, though progress is slow going and the story behind the plane is bafflingly vague. ...more
Maureen Carden
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the Dark is partially homage to Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None and possibly TV shows such as Survivor and The Bachelor (come on, isn’t The Bachelor a fight to the death?) But the story is a so much more, a darker, twisted and terrifying riff on which is better, forgiveness or revenge.
Maybe In the Dark is also a backward rewrite of Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s most famous sonnet, Sonnet 43. “How many ways can I kill you? Let me count the ways?
I hate thee to the depth and breadth
Sheyla ✎

Loreth Anne White is a one-click author for me. I love all of her books and to be honest I didn't even read the blurb before requesting this book. Her name alone is a guarantee that I will enjoy the story.

In the Dark is an enigmatic, fast-paced, suspense thriller that left me with a satisfied smile.

The story is told from different POV's. It's a story of revenge and death. One, I couldn't stop reading. I was interested in learning about SAR (search and rescue) operations and I was hooked on
A.
Awesome.

“...trap a bunch of people together, throw in some challenges, and see how they turn on each other. And there can only be one winner, one who outwits, outlasts, and outplays the others.”

"Avonna
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: http://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

IN THE DARK by Loreth Anne White is her new book which is a mystery with a romantic suspense subplot that is now one of my favorite mystery books of 2019. You should set aside time to read this one because you will not want to put it down.

The promise of a luxury spa vacation and the chance to secure a lucrative contract for their companies has eight lucky guests coming together for two weeks in a remote location in British Columbia
Mary S. R.
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 STARS! A bloody good one, this.

“The veneer of civilization is very, very thin. Like the delicate shell of a bird’s egg. The tiniest force will crack it. And the cracks are not where light gets in. They’re where the evil oozes out. That’s where the Monsters live, in that ooze. My games, my scripts...They just help make the cracks. It’s the players who show us the rest. They show us what we all really are, deep down at the core. Beasts.”

In the Dark might be Loreth Anne White's third b
Michael David
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
CONFESSION: Even though I am a HUGE fan of locked room mysteries, I still have not read Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None”, and now I have paid the price for my sin...because there are major spoilers for that book in this one. Oh well!

This is an excellent and unputdownable locked room mystery that I found completely gripping! It’s easy to keep track of who is who, and it’s so compelling to see what brought this group of strangers together on a trip to a supposed wilderness retreat spa
Cherie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The plot heavily mimicks and mentions Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. It is a huge part of the story line. We could perhaps even call this is modern version. The red herrings are plentiful, and you will be guessing who-dun-it until the very end. I loved it and I think Agatha would approvingly say "Bravo!"
Gabrielle Grosbety
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
“What lies do you tell? Because we all lie. Every one of us, and whoever claims they don’t is the biggest liar of all.”

In the Dark transports us to the wildness and intrepid isolation of British Columbia, rushing water cold as ice that steals your breath and gaggles of trees lining the seemingly infinite, alive forest, where a group of strangers have been called to meet for the alluring promise of a luxury experience of pampering at a spa in a remote, undisclosed location, only reachable
Ceecee
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book started in a really intriguing way and mostly kept my interest throughout although my concentration waned towards the end as I felt it got repetitive. Eight people were lured to a very remote area of British Columbia, Canada on the pretext of tendering for contacts for a new luxury resort and spa. It was fake as all they found was a neglected lodge and soon it dawned on them they had been lured there for revenge. All of them had a past, all had something they wanted to hide. The storyli ...more
Kara
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, thriller
And Then There Were None is one of my favorite books. It’s smart and thrilling and an excellent character study. I found this to be none of those things, but I also seem to be in the minority on this one.

Like Agatha Christie’s classic, a group of people are lured to a secluded place, and each of these people has a big secret. The book then jumps in time and place from the group to law enforcement trying to figure out what happened.

There were so many complex pasts between the group and the inve
Alayne Emmett
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, wow.... this book was fantastic. It was so twisty and very exciting. I received it free from Prime First Reads and I hadn’t heard of this author before, thought I’d give it a go and I’m glad I did. It was the type of book that you can’t stop reading but, you don’t want to finish it as it’s so good.
I would love to give it ten stars if I could but, unfortunately I can’t. I highly recommend this.
Kimberly
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An amazing mystery that kept me guessing the entire time. I was afraid with so many characters they might become flat with no difference between their narrative voices, but the character development was well done.

So why four stars instead of five? There was an over use of the f-word which at moments took me out of the story. And there were a few scenes where the details were a bit more graphic than I cared for.

Overall, Loreth Anne White wrote a well thought out mystery with very memorable chara
Darinda
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eight guests travel to a secluded lodge for a luxury spa vacation. They soon learn everything is not as described. A storm is heading their way, but they are trapped. Not only can they not get away, but one of them is responsible for luring the group there. Meanwhile, a search team is looking for the missing group.

Told with multiple points of view and alternating timelines. The viewpoints include the lodge guests and two members of the search party. The timeline for the search party is set in th
Ash
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery/thriller fans
Thank you to NetGalley and Montlake Romance for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

In the Dark has everything you need for a spooky winter read: A remote town in British Columbia. A mysterious lodge surrounded by untouched wilderness. A raging snowstorm. A group of shady rich people. A series of inexplicable coincidences. A police officer and a search and rescue team leader, each with their own tragic backstory. I could go on. All these details add up to the perfect atmosp
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

This was awesome! A brilliant read! I could not put it down but at the same time, wanted to prolong my finishing the story because it was that good. In the end I could not resist temptation and had to finish it. I was not disappointed and am still blown away by my first read from White.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
Denise
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here I am on a plane flying over the Pacific Ocean eagerly awaiting my arrival in Maui (and trying to convince myself that every passenger cough is not the coronavirus), and functioning on very little sleep but still all I can do is read! I have finished two books on my marathon flights - In The Dark being one of them.

I have to preface my review by saying that And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie is one of my all-time favorite books, so I knew this retelling (sort of) couldn’t help but f
Wendy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really good read with an intriguing plot and compelling characters!
The 8 guests invited to a remote lodge are linked by an event unbeknownst to themselves. Each has a secret and they all have something to fear. One by one they are being killed as they try to survive in the middle of nowhere.
A homicide cop and a search and rescue team brave the severe elements to find them.
Will there be any survivors?
A gripping game of cat and mouse!

Thank you to NetGalley and Montlake Romance for an arc of this
Kyle
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Okay, this was pretty damn good.

I was happy that the novel included much of what I love in terms of “locked room” mysteries. It’s very heavily influenced by Agatha Christie’s famed classic And Then There Were None— a group of strangers with secrets aplenty drawn to an isolated location, where they start to die one by one. The story even brings in the books of Christie, as well as elements from her famous work.

These are my favorite mysteries to read, so on that front, I was pleased. The inclusion
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

This book was actually fantastic. I loved it takes place in Canada (my home country). The setting was beautiful, suspenseful, and atmospheric. It was brilliantly written and paced. The characters intriguing and well fleshed out. The mystery, although very well done overall, had a *touch* of predictability to it. Never the less, it was a cracking excellent read, and I definitely would recommend it.

• Broken Promises (Past Imperfect Mystery Book 1)
  • Murder at Ochre Court (Gilded Newport Mysteries #6)
  • Never Look Back (Criminal Profiler, #3)
  • The Lost Girls of Devon
  • Opium and Absinthe
  • Trust No One
  • The Weight of Silence (Nicole Foster Thriller #2)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Find Me (Inland Empire, #1)
  • Close to the Bone (Widow's Island #1)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Thief River Falls
  • When I Was You
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River #1)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • Wall of Silence
  • The Gilded Sanctum
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
Loreth Anne White is an Amazon Charts and Washington Post bestselling author of thrillers, mysteries, and suspense. With well over 2 million books sold around the world, she is a three-time RITA finalist, an overall Daphne du Maurier Award winner, Arthur Ellis finalist, and winner of multiple industry awards.

A recovering journalist who has worked in both South Africa and Canada, she now calls Cana

News & Interviews

“Because we all lie. Every one of us, and whoever claims they don’t is the biggest liar of all.” 3 likes
“I’d like to go over again, in detail, what happened after the group left the lodge.” Another memory flash. The sound of gunshots. A body swinging by the neck. Screams—such terrible screams . . .” 1 likes