Start by marking “In the Dark” as Want to Read:

In the Dark

A secluded mountain lodge. The perfect getaway. So remote no one will ever find you.

The promise of a luxury vacation at a secluded wilderness spa has brought together eight lucky guests. But nothing is what they were led to believe. As a fierce storm barrels down and all contact with the outside is cut off, the guests fear that it’s not a getaway. It’s a trap.
Expected publication: December 1st 2019 by Montlake Romance

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Dec 01, 2019

The promise of a luxury vacation at a secluded wildern

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 1992 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 31 - Nov 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark

Start your review of In the Dark
    Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
    I love knowing when I open a Loreth Anne White book, I'm in for an intense, highly atmospheric experience as her uncanny ability to totally engage readers in a story is nothing short of brilliant. Appreciating this, I settled in to read In The Dark and quickly became enthralled by this extraordinarily addictive, richly detailed suspense thriller. Unraveling the mystery that is presented in this book became an obsession that had me eyeing each character with suspicion as I continuously changed my min ...more
    Maureen Carden
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In the Dark is partially homage to Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None and possibly TV shows such as Survivor and The Bachelor (come on, isn’t The Bachelor a fight to the death?) But the story is a so much more, a darker, twisted and terrifying riff on which is better, forgiveness or revenge.
    Maybe In the Dark is also a backward rewrite of Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s most famous sonnet, Sonnet 43. “How many ways can I kill you? Let me count the ways?
    I hate thee to the depth and breadth and he
    Katie B
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

This was my first time reading anything by the author, and I enjoyed this one so much I'm gonna have to check out her other novels. This book is kinda like a modern day retelling of the Agatha Christie mystery, And Then There Were None. In fact that book is actually a part of the storyline in this one. Speaking of that, there are quite a few spoilers about And Then There Were None in this book so if you haven't read that one and would like to, make sure you pass on this one
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

This was awesome! A brilliant read! I could not put it down but at the same time, wanted to prolong my finishing the story because it was that good. In the end I could not resist temptation and had to finish it. I was not disappointed and am still blown away by my first read from White.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
    Shannon Dyer
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc, 2019, mystery
    Round up to 4.5 stars. Review to come at AAR.
    Aimee Whiteley
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: anyone and everyone, I already sent it on to my Nana
    Loreth Anne White

I was lucky enough to receive an Advance Reader Copy of "In the Dark" by Loreth Anne White in exchange for this HONEST review of the book. I was even luckier to receive a paperback copy, with a personal note from Loreth thanking me for my support of her work. If the description of the book doesn't pull you, please let her incredible human nature and relatability make a fan out of you. I digress... on with the review:

I was not previously a fan of Agatha Christie,
    Leanne Kale sparks
    Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Loreth Anne is one of my favorite thriller writers, but this book is one of her best. The twists and turns had me second-guessing everyone and everything right up to the end. Just when I thought I had it all figured out--curveball from out of nowhere. So beautifully written, the setting so wild and mysterious, I felt as if I was in the book, right alongside the characters as they fought the elements while trying to piece together the puzzle before becoming the next victim in someone's deadly gam ...more
    Caz
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc, aar, mystery-thriller
    Review to follow at AAR.
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    I wish I had started reading this book before Halloween, because it carried with it the feeling of a scary/thriller movie - in fact, while reading I kept envisioning how it would play out on screen.

The novel opens with narration from the sole unidentified survivor of a terrifying ordeal that has taken place in recent days. The character is being asked to explain what happened to police.

We then go back in time to see the perspective of the detective who arrived on the sce
    M
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Agatha Christie fans, you’ll want to read this crime-fiction thriller.

I’ve been a huge Agatha Christie fan after reading my mom’s vintage copy of “Ten Little Indians”—before it was re-titled “And Then There Were None.” Loreth Anne White’s book, which is an homage to Christie, is one of the best Kindle First Reads choices I’ve made.

This dark crime-fiction has its share of blood, guts and gore via knives, noose, poison, guns, etc. Add to that several references to Stephen King novels.
    RedRedtheycallmeRed
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I already had this book on preorder, so I was really excited that it was a Kindle First pick and I got to read it a month early! I love this author and I think this is my favorite since In the Barren Ground.

As with her other books, this one is very atmospheric, the setting is pretty much a character in the book. This time, it's a remote location in northern BC, Canada, beautiful and deadly. It's revealed at the outset that there is a survivor, but that person's identity isn't reveale
    Christina
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    My first choice for Amazon First Reads, even though several caught my eye...

If this is your first time reading Loreth Anne White, you will NOT be disappointed. I LOVE her writing, and have read all of her books, starting with A Dark Lure. She is fantastic with using the setting as almost a malevolent character in In the Dark, and the way she draws you in with each character she creates, really makes you care deeply about the story she’s weaving. I hadn’t read the Agatha Christie novel that’s
    Kara
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: mystery, thriller
    And Then There Were None is one of my favorite books. It’s smart and thrilling and an excellent character study. This was none of those things. I seem to be in the minority on this one.

Like Agatha Christie’s classic, a group of people are lured to a secluded place, and each of these people has a big secret. The book then jumps in time and place from the group to law enforcement trying to figure out what happened.

There were so many complex pasts between the group and the investigators that I couldn
    Heather Nicole
    Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I would have finished this novel much sooner but I did not want it to end.

A seemingly random group of adults meet to go into the wilderness on a retreat. Promises of a fantastic lodge and a weekend of fun, with some networking.

Upon arrival via an 8 seat plane, it’s clear something isn’t right. The lodge looks nothing like the pamphlet.

Soon guest start realizing they all have something in common. Something they will go to any lengths to keep from unraveling.

I absolutely adore how Loret
    Jackie Underhill
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Good story, a few errors

According to at least on reviewer there were too many f--- words used...maybe there are a few more cuss words than necessary, but maybe that's just how the world has become...however, there are not so many that they aren't easily ignored by the average reader...
    There were a couple errors in the middle and toward the end that a good editor should have caught...like a cut that appears on a left hand and then is stated to be on the right hand a few pages later and t
    Zita Zadrapova
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    What a story!

I loved this book!
    Every time I see a description of a book mentioning other inspiration or being similar works, I am a little hesitant, almost like I don't want to tarnish my memory of the original. But this epic tale had me on my toes. It starts sinister enough with one survivor, we don't know who it is. And than the story unfolds. I enjoyed all the aspects, even the backstory of Mason and Callie, although it wasn't important to the flow of the story. Conversation felt plausibl
    Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
    A steadfast thriller (not at all a romantic suspense) that pays homage to the classic who-done-it mystery novel. Loreth Anne White delivers an impeccably crafted narrative with a brilliant cast of characters. The plot moves steadily through multiple points of view and delivers all the unsettling thrills that allow readers to become immersed in the storyline. Aside from the misrepresentation of the genre, this book has everything going for it. Absolutely loved it. 5 stars!

Thank
    Linda L. Morrison
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    So glad I choose this for my prime read

I came across this book by accident on amazon prime monthly reads. So happy I took the chance, as it grabbed my interest from the start, and keeps you guessing until the end. Not your usual “somebody gets murdered, and the investigation into who did it” storyline. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever read anything quite like it. The author really knows how to weave a successful, scary and thought provoking novel. One that you won’t forget. Hopefully she wi
    Beckimoody Moody
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    And then there were . . .

Well-plotted with interesting characters. A group of individuals is invited to a remote spa, only to discover that a very different event has been planned. Each member of the group is hiding a secret, and someone wants justice. The story weaves back and forth from events as they happen and the resulting police search, as well as alternating narrative viewpoints. I guessed the perpetrator but more due to luck and lots of familiarity with the genre rather than poor
    Liz Etnyre
    Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was my Amazon First Read for November. Nice riff on Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' - with a few spoilers for that book, in case you haven't read it yet. The very end, although satisfying, felt a bit abrupt - like there needed to be just a wee bit more....I don't know (and really don't know how to explain without adding spoilers!)....depth of exposition of the motives? Didn't need a lot more, just somehow felt like a thread - or a layer of understanding maybe? - was missing. St ...more
    Daria
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A Captivating Story

"In the Dark" is about 9 people, all with a secret, or several secrets, to hide. They are brought together under false pretenses in a remote, Canadian mountain resort. They are unable to escape said resort and as they look deeper into their connections with each other, they start to disappear.

It is an enveloping story. Hard to put down, with a brilliant puppet master at the helm...though even that wasn't enough to anticipate every human reaction. A very enjoyab
    Melanie Kircher
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This woman can write. I hope to see more books from her on Amazon

Ms White starts the circle wide and w each chapter starts winding it tighter and tighter. A hint to Agatha Christie's "And There Were None" is calculated, but not slick. Characters are carefully drawn so that while I have no personal dealings with Search and Rescue people, Ms White made them feel real.
    Read the book, dear readers. You will, probably like me, read it in one sitting.
    Sheila Kviz
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Great take on a timeless plot

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It was based on the plot of Agatha Christie's Then There Were None. The setting in the wilderness of British Columbia was perfect for the mystery. Sombre, foreboding, wild and majestic describe the land. The characters and the complex chain of events that link them unfold relentlessly. The depravity and beauty that are part of human nature are woven into this story.
    Alayne Emmett
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wow, wow, wow.... this book was fantastic. It was so twisty and very exciting. I received it free from Prime First Reads and I hadn’t heard of this author before, thought I’d give it a go and I’m glad I did. It was the type of book that you can’t stop reading but, you don’t want to finish it as it’s so good.
    I would love to give it ten stars if I could but, unfortunately I can’t. I highly recommend this.
    Courtnie Castille
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
    I really liked the premise of this. People lured out to a fake vacation that turns out to be a trap is a great trope. 200 pages in this was a solid five star for me. But in the last 200 pages, I got a little bored. I felt like the ending dragged on longer than necessary. I got to the end of a chapter and would have been satisfied if it ended there, but still had 80 pages to go. Good book and I would definitely be willing to read more from this author.
    Cathy
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Worth the time it takes to read

Working from the basic idea of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, Loreth Anne White has come up with a winner. The storyline was interesting, characters were well-developed, and there were few, if any, grammar or punctuation errors. Refreshing! The chapters move back and forth between characters and timeframes, which could confuse some readers, but chapters do have headings. This is a standalone story with NO cliffhangers!
    Margaret Shumaker
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Kept me reading

This is a modern take on Survivor mixed with Agatha Christie to make a rather gory but compelling story. This is set in rugged and beautiful northern British Columbia; the setting becomes adds a lot of atmosphere and is a big part of the book. Even though I'm very familiar with Ms. Christine's And Then There Were None this book kept me reading and guessing until the end.
    J Corvidae
    Lindsey Ruppe
    Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    She does it again! This book has it all. Intrigue, murder, mayhem, survivalism. Every page was full of detail and kept you guessing until the last page. Every piece of the puzzle fit perfectly until the whole piece was laid out. Dark, eerie, and remote. Perfect, novel! Thank you Loreth for the ARC! 😘
    Maggie Borgwardt
    Couldn't Put It Down

This is a very well-written mystery that really kept me guessing until the end. Little by little you begin to see how the characters all fit together as pieces of their backstories are woven together. Just when I thought I had it figured out the author doled out another curveball.
    Loreth Anne White is an award-winning, bestselling author of romantic suspense, thrillers, and mysteries.

A three-time RITA finalist, she has also won the Romantic Times Reviewers’ Choice Award, the National Readers’ Choice Award, and the Romantic Crown for Best Romantic Suspense and Best Book Overall, in addition to being a Booksellers’ Best finalist, a multiple Daphne Du Maurier Award finalist,