Start by marking “Liberty! The American Revolution” as Want to Read:
Liberty! The American Revolution

Liberty! The American Revolution

Liberty! The American Revolution brings to life one of the most important and compelling stories in our country's history: the struggle for independence and the birth of the American nation. Historian and novelist Thomas Fleming's gripping narrative captures the high drama of the revolutionary years and the unyielding courage and political genius of the men and women who i ...more
Published November 24th 1997 by Viking USA (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Liberty! The American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberty! The American Revolution

Alex
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very readable account and companion piece to the PBS series of the same name. Fleming focuses more on the politics of the events leading to the Revolution and personalities involved (British and American). Good discussion of the time between the ending of the war and ratification of the Constitution of the United States.
Tony
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
LIBERTY! The American Revolution. (1997). Thomas Fleming. *****.
This is the companion book to the PBS series of the same name. This particular edition is paper bound and of coffee table size. It is well researched and illustrated throughout with an amazing number of paintings and drawings from the period. I have not seen the PBS version, but plan to try and get it for viewing from our library system. In addition to providing the roots of the revolution (called the Rebellion in England) it follow
Mike Whiskey Bravo
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to know all about the American Revolution, and how the USA came to be, and especially how good old Blighty would be represented. I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.
I read this book primarily on my iPad, and this edition has useful links to Wikipedia, which is incredibly useful if you want to know more. The English are represented as sympathetically as the Americans, especially with what happen in the ratification of the Constitution. A footnote near the end seems to say it was King
Colette
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really great overview of the Revolutionary War. It is also filled with reproductions of art and documents. I found the parts on the mid to late battles pretty boring, but that’s probably because there weren’t many big events. That’s also probably why I never learned much past Trenton in school. Anyway, I found this to be a good book to get a broad picture, including what was going on with Parliament and King George III.
Warren
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written

While Fleming tells about the Revolution we knew, he does even better with the behind the scenes back and forth. He does not get bogged down with battle details, yet explains enough for the reader to get the flow. Good description of the conflicts between large and small colonies/states, something many gloss over.
Ann Rempel
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liberty is a Great Read!

After reading this book, I have a much greater appreciation of George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, and many others who brought this country through the American Revolution and then brought about the US Constitution. I highly recommend this book.
Carol Dobson
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations. Well written and informative.
George Polansky
History brought to life. Fleming brings the reader into the story. Its not just names and dates but human beings with a all their interactions . A very informative and entertaining read.
Sharon
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Fleming covers the American Revolution from before 1775 to the signing of the Constitution. He focuses on the war effort and the tactics and trials of George Washington. The book was easy to read but filled with information, some of it known and some new to this reader. I would recommend the book to any history buff.
Jeffrey
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sit down with some time, with a commitment to learn, with pen in hand, and begin your journey to understanding the greatness of this country and the people it was founded on. This is essential knowledge that must be obtained by all Americans. Alan Bloom, the great literary intellectual, spoke of the necessity of standars or knowledge Americans need in order to communicate basic understadings of merit. Here are your standards. Learn of America at the outset, the turn to confrontation, battle, and ...more
TMcB
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Compelling retelling of the American Revolution beginning in 1760 with England's domestic political turmoil and the resurgence of royal supremacy over parliament that led to intolerable rule over the American provinces and the ultimate decision by them to seek independence, detailed recounting of the amazing eight-year military effort that finally ended with the 1782 victory at Yorktown, and ending with the 1787 struggle to reorganize the American government into an effective federal republic th ...more
Jay Williams
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book gives so much insight into the lives of those who built and founded our country. It adds such a powerful personal touch with it's inclusion of letters, pictures etc. of the men and women who forged our great nation. Even if you don't read the whole book, you have to buy it so you can have the pictures included that are so compelling. Look especially at the ones from Valley Forge, of men wearing little more than thin cloth on their feet. Then the next time you encounter snow, try to wal ...more
Joe Ciola
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, history, ebook
The power of a single word...

Upheavals to the standard order in history are the product of many variables, chief among them certainly are circumstances, miscalculations, and misunderstandings. Ironically, both historical players and interpreters of history can fail to recognize an important source of misunderstanding that strongly biases decisions and views, respectively. Namely, we take for granted the meaning of words that serve as principles, and assume our own definitions are universal. Flem
Isaac Harris
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago. It's of my favorite books about the Revolutionary War and one of the first I'd read that included an appreciable amount from the POV of the opposing side. Fleming explains a lot about factors which led up to the war, including the familial issues within King's George's own family and the difficulties of taking of throne after the death of his overbearing father. The King's inexperience led him to fall back on poor advisors and so the complaints of the colonists were m ...more
Lisa Stillings
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspective on our nation's birth

Well researched documentation of the American Revolution, both the activities of our nation 's earliest leaders and the Revolutionary War.
Daniel
This first-rate volume on the American Revolution combines beautiful artwork with the lucid prose of Thomas Fleming. Although Liberty! The American Revolution accompanies a PBS documentary series, the book stands completely on its own; in fact, it...
Roland
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fleming saved the best for last

This excellent book on the Revolutionary War is worth reading in its entirety, just to appreciate the weight and the civility of the political discourse that took place after the war -- and to wish that we could see such civil discourse again.
David Eppenstein
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-history
Very good history of our revolution.
John
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the companion volumn to the PBS series. The series did an outstanding job of conveying the times and the thinking of those who conceived and carried out the American Revolution.
Martina
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of great information about the American Revolution and the people involved. It was a useful source to help educate myself on this war.
Judy Baker
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Easy-to-read overview of the American revolution. Has spawned my goal of reading a biography of each president.
Kevin Dern
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Incredible. Learned more reading this book than in high school history classes.
Rick Wong
Oct 01, 2007 rated it liked it
This was a nice and quick read. Good References. Good inside stories about the people, places, events and weapons used to get a better understanding of the Revolution.
John
Aug 11, 2009 rated it liked it
It's always good to learn about our founding rebel fathers
Phil
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
If only my previous encounters with American History were this well written and fun to read I would know much more than I do.
Marti
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable

Easy to read and follow, informative, not too much detail... A good read for those who want to learn more about this time period.
Chuck
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Chris
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
As an English reader with only general knowledge of the American Revolution I found this a very interesting read. A generally balanced account of the political and the military aspects.
Colleen
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
really enjoyed the narrative flow and all the illustrations and first person narratives
Dan Furlong
Aug 01, 2015
  • Reporting the Revolutionary War: Before It Was History, It Was News
  • Saratoga: Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War
  • 1775: A Good Year for Revolution
  • The Rules of Civility: The 110 Precepts That Guided Our First President in War and Peace
  • The American Revolution: Writings from the Pamphlet Debate: Vol. 1, 1764–1772
  • American Slavery: 1619-1877
  • George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots
  • Forgotten Patriots: The Untold Story of American Prisoners During the Revolutionary War
  • Gentleman Revolutionary: Gouverneur Morris, the Rake Who Wrote the Constitution
  • A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution
  • Fusiliers: Eight Years with the Redcoats in America
  • Founding Myths: Stories That Hide Our Patriotic Past
  • Eyewitness to America: 500 Years of American History in the Words of Those Who Saw It Happen
  • Benedict Arnold: Patriot and Traitor
  • The Confederate and Neo-Confederate Reader: The "Great Truth" About the 'Lost Cause"
  • A   Vast Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President
  • A Nation Rising: Untold Tales of Flawed Founders, Fallen Heroes, and Forgotten Fighters from America's Hidden History
  • A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin
Thomas J. Fleming is an historian and historical novelist, with a special interest in the American Revolution. He was born in 1927 in Jersey City, New Jersey, the son of a World War I hero who was a leader in Jersey City politics for three decades. Before her marriage, his mother, Katherine Dolan Fleming, was a teacher in the Jersey City Public School System.

After graduating from St. Peter's Prepa
“Those who give up essential liberty, to preserve a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” 4 likes
“For John Adams, however, these warlike gestures could not undo the stupidity (as he saw it) of John” 0 likes