Start by marking “Fairy Science” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Fairy Science

Ashley Spires

Fairy Science

An enchanting STEM-and-fairy-filled picture book from the award-winning author-illustrator of The Most Magnificent Thing !

All the fairies in Pixieville believe in magic--except Esther. She believes in science.

When a forest tree stops growing, all the fairies are stumped--including Esther. But not for long! Esther knows that science can get to the root of the problem--
Published September 10th 2019 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Science

La Coccinelle
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This super-cute book teaches kids about the scientific method in an easy-to-understand way. There's even a little experiment in the back for budding scientists to try.

Esther is a fairy, and as everyone knows, fairies are all about the magic. Except... Esther's not. While her fairy friends think everything can be explained away with magic, Esther knows that science is what underlies the wonders of our world. But when even the fairy school system teaches magic over science, scientists like Esther
Neha Thakkar
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome. Fans of fairies will love this and hopefully becoming budding scientists. Simple explanation of scientific method and lots of opportunities for inquiry! Recommended for 5 yrs-8 yrs.
Etienne
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny book about a fairy that leave magic aside and focus her life on science. All the others fairy find her strange and all. Funny yes, but also a book that can be use to talk about science but also about difference and how multiple point of view or angle can be useful for society. Good job!
Stephanie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashley Spires writes some of the greatest little picture books around. Our first introduction to her work was the TD Grade One Book Giveaway of Small Saul in 2016 and since then we have been hooked on her brilliant writing, lovable characters and animated illustrations. Not only is she a fantastic writer but she is also a great all around human being, taking in foster cats to care for and love until they find their forever homes, but I digress. I’m here to tell you about the wonderful new book o ...more
Karen Hollins-Stallman
Fairy Science by Ashley Spires is a a hilarious new picture book series, that introduces a charming, determined heroine as she learns about the world and celebrates the joys of curiosity and exploring science.

I really loved this book and I will be
Andrea Johnston
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is FABULOUS. An absolutely wonderful tale with adorable illustrations that will surprise and delight readers young and old. Indeed, the ending isn't at all expected but adds another layer of realism, complexity, and a gentle message that even if things do go exactly the way you planned, you are still making a difference and inspiring others. Top that off with some sweet humor and a thorough introduction to the scientific method and you have a home run. The author also includes a scienc ...more
Ryan
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and I want a copy for my personal collection. Esther is a fairy who does not believe in magic. She believes in Science. In fact she thinks fairy dust is just dandruff. She knows that she can convince the other fairies that science is real, it will just take the right experiment and test subjects. I love that in the end, not everyone believes in science or scientific principle, but some do. Which will beget more, and more. I loved this book, its ideas, its story, and it's adorabl ...more
Stephanie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This book is adorable and I love how sassy smart Esther is. The art is so cute.
“Ask a question. Do some research to find out more. Make a hypothesis. Do experiments. Study the results. Draw a conclusion.” Ester believes in science over magic and wants to study and learn more. She doesn’t win over all the other fairies but she convinces a few and teaches them more.
Awwwww, there’s a little experiment at the end.
Also, I love when I can support a Canadian author.
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange
Leah Horton
Esther is a fairy who questions everything. She believes in science and tried to show her fairy fiends why it is so great.

A cute story encouraging kids to ask questions, do experiments and don’t follow beliefs blindly just because everyone else does. The illustrations were colourful and fun. I loved the sun bean experiment at the end of the book.
Barbra
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ester is a fairy, and also a realist. So when other fairies say it's magic Ester provides the facts. When there is a problem with one of the trees, Ester knows a moonlight dance is not the answer. With experiments and research she comes to a very down to earth solution. This cute book is full of fun, with a little sprinkle of science.
Jesse
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to be in SO much trouble when my daughter discovers I've returned this to the library! She has requested this book at least twice a night for almost a week. I'm honestly not even sure what it is that draws her to it. I enjoy the explanation of the scientific method, though it feels like a religion vs. science debate to me which can be a bit uncomfortable.
Heidi
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital-arc-read
I accessed an early digital review copy of this title, and definitely will be watching for it to release. I can think of a few little girls who will enjoy the mash up of Fairies and Science. This has so much discussion opening potential for teachers and storytimes.
Brittany Baker
A cute story that shows that even fairies need science sometimes.
Alyssa
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give this to all the truth-driven children in your life. The ones who want to know how things really work, and aren't content with answers like, "it's magic!"
Ana Gutierrez
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magic or Science?! One fairy's struggle to prove science is real in a world of magic.
Jillian Heise
Annese
Sep 18, 2019
Janet Killips
Sep 18, 2019
Ashley has written and illustrated many books, most notably the bestselling The Most Magnificent Thing, which is now a short animated film. She creates books that remind kids that making mistakes is integral to learning. She lives in British Columbia with her husband, her dog and a growing army of felines.